Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

nosubsgo posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but whatever. I've loved Boards of Canada for a long time, and I've been fascinated by their nostalgic, 1970s documentary sound. But I don't have the vocabulary to describe that sound besides what it reminds me of. I guess I'm looking for technical descriptions of what they're doing to get that sound. Maybe someone here can help me.

I guess this little vignette is as good an example as any: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=exnbfHq2P1c

This came up a few pages back actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Lowness 72 posted:

Ya all those knobs on the synth are confusing. I checked out some video tutorials made by the company but was still somewhat in the dark. I'm going to give it some time though.

Also, the patch cable option - :aaaaa:
No clue what that's really doing.

Nowadays you mostly think of synthesizers as being "hardwired," that is, having a fixed signal path, but in the days of the old Moog modular systems it was necessary to connect all of these different modules - filter, oscillator, LFO, etc. - together with patch cables, allowing a great degree of flexibility in signal flow. The MS-20 is a "semi-modular" synth which means that it is not necessary to use patch cables, though as you become more familiar with analog synthesis they will provide many interesting options for you to explore.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I love Operator, it's one of my two or three go-to softsynths these days. I use it mainly for FM-type sounds (since it is after all primarily an FM synth) but it's not too difficult to coax some more analog-style sounds out of it as well.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Chairman Kaga posted:

anyone know of a good midi usb interface?

Pick whichever one of these has the amount of I/O you need and you'll be fine.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c679--Portable_MIDI_Interfaces

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Altoidss posted:

There's no way I can afford to get both, and I'm not going to pirate a DAW.

So yeah, I'd be getting Logic 8.

Also, I want to eventually move into producing for bands, and non-dance music stuff. I feel like Logic would be way better for that kind of thing than Ableton. Is that correct?

For traditional recording, yeah, you'd probably be better off with Logic. Live isn't really intended for recording bands and such - it's definitely aimed squarely at the electronic and hip-hop producer.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Kai was taken posted:

This is wrong. I've never had any issues with multitrack recording under Live.

Well, if you already have Live and want to do some recording, sure, it's functional, but I don't know many people who have bought it with that purpose in mind.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

If you go with Live I'd at least purchase Operator and/or Analog at the same time. I have a lot of experience working with Operator and can definitely vouch for its quality. I've only tried out Analog briefly, but from that time I would still feel comfortable recommending it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

moron posted:

Are there an alternatives to Audacity and Bias Peak when it comes to audio editing on the Mac? I really can't stand either of them.

Fission - http://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/
TwistedWave - http://twistedwave.com/
Sound Studio - http://www.freeverse.com/apps/app/?id=5012

All shareware. I use WavePad personally, which is free.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Yoozer posted:

That's what you get without proper music theory education :v:

I think what it is more than that is just that the rockstar mentality is really in opposition to the way that a lot of electronic music culture operates. It's natural to expect rock and jazz musicians to pontificate at length about their inspirations and experiences because we have a tendency to tie these people very strongly with a perceived public persona, but that doesn't really work in a lot of electronic music. Certain genres like techno not only accept anonymity but see it as a badge of honor. Some of techno's most celebrated artists are defined by their hostility to the traditional process of interviewing and touring. There's very much a mentality of letting the music speak for itself.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Dammit, I really wish I owned the full version of Live right now. Still using LE here. :(

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Yoozer posted:

Anyway, here's all the banks dumped as System Exclusive (SysEx) files.

The zip file also contains a concatenated SysEx dump, which means you can import them in one fell swoop into FM8.

Enjoy!

http://www.theheartcore.com/zip/hypra-rom-all.zip

Some very nice sounds in there, about to try 'em out on FM8, thanks for the upload Yoozer. :)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Altoidss posted:

I need a definition on a couple of terms that I've seen floating around in electronic music writing. The first is "jacking." While I have an idea of what that kind of beat sounds like, I've heard the word used to describe anything from Mastiksoul - Run For Cover to Jesse Rose - Forget My Name to even Deadmau5 - Ghosts N Stuff. What exactly is someone referring to when they use that word?

Same goes for "ravey". This one I have absolutely no clue about, cause I hear it used to describe everything from techy tracks with only a piano chord and drums, to massive wobbly out of tune beasts, to trance-like emotional euphoria music. I'm lost!

Jacking originated in the old Chicago house sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFuujExs03A

It's hard to put into words, it's just that particular combination of the bassline, rhythm and everything else that is just so unique to Chicago house. You know it when you hear it.

Rave to me is basically, well, the stuff they were playing at raves in the early 90's. Big gently caress-off hoovers and all that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZuuPVk8e9Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEws2ljGQ0

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

trill rear end posted:

here is a newer version
http://tindeck.com/listen/ezkp

Hey man this is real cool, reminds me of some old Bochum Welt stuff. Everything is just really in place, very solid mix overall, can't think of any problems really, nice work!

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted anything here. May as well add to the pile since that's what everyone else is doing.

Ambient/dub techno in a Deepchord-like style.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

wayfinder posted:

ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/wayfinder/mp3/wayfinder_-_the_dreaming_void.mp3

Bass too loud (lovely mixing), too short.. anything else i can fix for the final?

I like this a lot, and I don't listen to a lot of contemporary trance. Actually I probably like this because it reminds me of old stuff from labels like Platipus and such. Very good stuff in any case... don't really have any constructive criticism, sorry. :)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

IanTheM posted:

This beat took me so long to settle down nicely.

edit: i just re-did everything again:
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/On%20The%20Sun%202.mp3

Yo this is real cool man. Just agree with everyone else that the drums are a little all over the place. The tempo is a bit fast for an atmospheric piece like this. I would just slow all the percussion down and rework it from there.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

RizieN posted:

I just replaced my old macbook pro with the brand new ones, and a 500gb HDD this time (couldn't spring 650 extra bucks for a 250gb Solid State)

But they loving removed the normal Firewire port, and now I guess i have to get an FW800 > FW400 cord so I can use my interface arrrghh

They're pretty cheap fortunately:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=firewire+adapter&x=0&y=0

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

ManoliIsFat posted:

I really like the end of track, maybe you shouldn't wait so long for the stabs. Do your funky, too-shuffled hihat beats at first but I say it should fall in to a more steady beat sooner, and the stabs kinda make it all fit together a lot better. Make it more like a grime instrumental it so badly wants to be and less like a track with a labored buildup.

The "ha"s are way classy, I like it. The sounds of all your drums are pretty on point.

Yeah I agree with this. It's a really well put together piece but it kinda fizzles out just when it's starting to really get good with those cool stabs and such.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Runoir posted:

Two hopefully simple questions.

1. I know there is a company out there that makes foot controllers that send keyboard signals instead of MIDI, but google is failing me. Where/how can I get one of these?

Is something like this what you're looking for? I'm a little confused on how you are differentiating MIDI and "keyboard signals" - could you explain this a bit better if the link I posted isn't what you're after?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Runoir posted:

Sure, sorry... I could have explained this a little better. All the foot controllers I've used in the past have sent midi signals, which my audio software has interpreted. I'm looking for a controller that emulates a keyboard output. So, when I trigger the controller, I want my computer to receive a keystroke, instead of a midi note.

Edit: Got it via PM! http://www.x-tempozone.com/

Ah, gotcha. It can get confusing in threads like this when you say "keyboard" since my mind always goes to musical keyboard rather than computer keyboard. Glad you found what you were looking for though!

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

ProdigalSon posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to use Reason refills for PC on a mac?

I'm pretty sure Refills are platform neutral though it's been a few years since I've used Reason.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

mezzir posted:

Oh lawd it's housey

This is real cool. Reminds me of Force Inc. stuff. Lots of potential.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

mezzir posted:

Separate post for new material/bumpage:

Seriously I'm gonna travel back in time 20 years and it will be awesome and I will be famous.

This is amazing.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I r Pat posted:

Anyone know of a good, cheap, reliable midi to usb adapter? I'm looking to hook my MicroKorg up to my PC...

I found one on ebay for 8 dollars free shipping, but I don't want to buy a piece of poo poo that breaks in a day
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Interface-Converter-Cable-Adapter-/280483295330?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414e1b7062

I'd say just pick up something from here that meets your needs:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c679--Portable_MIDI_Interfaces

This technology is pretty well-established at this point so I think it's kind of hard to really badly screw up but I still think it's worth it to pay 30 or 40 bucks for something with an actual company behind it that can help you if it screws up.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Chitin posted:

Wow. OK. So. After about six weeks of messing around in Ableton and reading the entire thread (and anything else I could get my hands on) this is my first completed (?) venture - I'm looking for critiques, directions in which I should be developing, etc.

I should note that advice on mixing would be awesome but will sort of have to wait until I'm not doing this on crappy tinny iPod headphones and laptop speakers...

Thanks!

Hey this is pretty cool. Definitely good for a first effort, but could use some tweaking. The chord stabs are nice, I'm a sucker for that kind of old school Detroit / Chicago vibe. The lead synth needs some work, it just sounds like a bare sine wave right now. It needs some EQ, filtering and reverb at least. You don't have to go nuts with effects, but totally dry tracks tend to stand out in a mix, in a bad way. The kick is too loud, and I feel like it's also a bit punchy for a mellow-ish track like this, try softening it up a bit. In terms of arrangement though I think the rhythmic elements work quite well. You have some good ideas here, keep it up. :)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Beatladdius posted:

What physical mixers are you guys using? I'm trying to decide on one. I don't even know where to look for advice. (I don't have an audio interface.)

First you should determine if you really need a dedicated hardware mixer. I imagine most people who post in this thread don't use a physical mixer, just an audio interface and a control surface for their mixing. If you want to do some signal processing before going into your DAW, you like the way the EQ or mic pres on a particular mixer sound, or you're just used to mixing on analog gear, you might want to invest in a mixer. Otherwise, think about it before taking the plunge.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Beatladdius posted:

I'm kinda on a budget now, but I think I could spring a little bit on a surface. Anything worth checking out? If there's a thread for this already I apologize, I didn't see anything.

There are a lot of options out there, depending on your needs, budget and what DAW you're using. I'd suggest taking a look at this page and seeing if anything grabs your attention:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c808--Mixing_Control_Surfaces

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Beatladdius posted:

Well, I guess I should post some more about my situation, current setup, etc.

- I'm using an M-Audio Axiom 49.
- I'm using Reason.
- Been cutting stuff up and putting it together in Garage Band.
- I have a copy of Ableton Live that I will be using soon (when I get the time to sit down and mess with it).
- No sound card or audio interface.

I don't know what my next purchase should be. I'm not sure if I need an audio interface at the moment. I have no latency and feel as if I'd be better off getting a control surface since it's becoming a bit annoying to do everything with a mouse.

I would say prioritize your next gear purchase according to whatever you think is the weakest link in your current setup. In this case that would seem to be pointing to a control surface. However, since you mentioned you have a copy of Live that you haven't used yet, it might be best to hold off on any purchases until you have a chance to become familiar with it. You might find that you want to use Live as your main DAW, in which case you would be looking at getting one of the control surfaces specially made for Live such as the Launchpad or Akai APC 20/40.

An audio interface doesn't seem crucial for you immediately, but you'll want to plan for one eventually. Are you mixing on headphones now? You'll want to get a pair of studio monitors sometime, and you'll want an audio interface for those. Since you aren't doing any actual recording right now you won't need one with a ton of I/O, which can save you some cash, but that's something to consider if you think you might be doing more recording in the future.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Horrido posted:

Can anyone suggest me a good pair of headphones in the 150 euro range that's good enough for producing but still sturdy enough to withstand djing with it (and generally being thrown around cause i'm a goddamn mess sometimes)?

AKG K240 or Sony MDR-7506. These are basically the two standards in inexpensive monitoring headphones. The Sonys might be better if you're DJ'ing too, I usually think of the AKGs as strictly studio 'phones.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Vector 7 posted:

I'm looking to buy a new audio interface. I'm considering the Fireface 800 and it looks like it should be what I need. It seems to have the best cost/quality ratio. Anyone have any advice on this?

RME is known for quality gear... if you've got the cash and it fits your needs, go for it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Vector 7 posted:

Here's another question: I've been using my DJ headphones (Allen & Heath) to produce with, and it doesn't work very well. They don't seem to accurately represent the bass. I should use real studio headphones, yeah? Anyone have any recommendation on which brands or models to look into?

Yes, monitoring headphones would be best. Well, actual monitors would be best, but I understand those aren't always in the cards for various reasons. In any case, a good pair of headphones are always nice to have around. The AKG K240's are a standard and the Sony MDR's are popular too. Beyerdynamic cans are great too but slightly pricier.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Horrido posted:

EDIT:A kind-of unrelated question: I wanted to make a partition on my HD wich is going to be used only for ableton/audio related stuff, so it doesn't get hosed up if i mess with something on the main... do i have to install window7 on it, no?

I would just get another hard drive dedicated to your audio stuff if that's an option. Partitions are really just a way of managing space on a hard drive, and they aren't going to help if the drive goes bad. The best policy is to just back up as much as possible.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone recommend a really good book on synthesis? I took a class on it but I still suck and I'm staring at Massive looking at the knobs and my head is going to explode.

I recommend Gordon Reid's Synth Secrets series. There's a lot of theory, but it'll pretty much teach you everything you need to know about subtractive synthesis.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

dolphins are gay posted:

What's the consensus for adding plugins/effects etc to the master track? I feel like the master should be clean but it's awfully convenient to just EQ right on it.

That's called mastering, and it's probably the most difficult of all audio engineering disciplines. Mastering is about making very minute changes over the entire mix that add up to making a big difference in the end result. You can really make stuff sound weird if you don't know what you're doing, so, just to echo everyone else... don't do it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What's needed to sample sound clips from Internet sources like Netflix watch instantly or YouTube? I know you can save YouTube video data (or auto convert to MP3) but I feel like there's a more direct way to grab a few seconds of dialog or whatever? I'm looking for good :techno:

You could do this with Soundflower. What I'd do is set the system output to Soundflower, open your DAW and then you can play back the video and record from the Soundflower input. Obviously you need to change your settings back when you're done but this allows you to experiment with capturing a bunch of different short snippets.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Well... if you feel like dropping a cool hundred on a bit-reduction plugin...

http://www.sonalksis.com/digital_grimebox.htm

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Thoogsby posted:

Asking this straight up, how the gently caress do I master a track?

You don't - at least you shouldn't. True mastering is an arcane art, and requires a properly trained mastering engineer. Mixing is likely what you're referring to, which is a largely separate process - deciding on the balance of different elements in the mix, applying EQ, compression etc. to individual tracks. Essentially, what you naturally do as you work through the process of composing your tracks. Mastering is a different beast, involving subtle application of compression, limiting, and EQ over the entire track. Your track should be completed to your satisfaction when you hand it over to a mastering engineer - they won't fix your mistakes, but they will make your work sound finished, cohesive and professional.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

And how the gently caress do I compress things, I don't get the knobs in the compressor. :(

First, make sure you understand what compression is. Compression, classically, is about maintaining a consistent volume profile throughout a song. A popular misconception is that compression makes things louder, which technically is completely inaccurate - simply put, what it really does is even out the overall volume of your track by smoothing out the high peaks in amplitude. If you understand that, the controls on a compressor are fairly straighforward. Here's what you're looking at on an average compressor:

Threshold - This determines at what point an incoming signal triggers compression. For example, if your threshold is 0 dB, anything over that level will cause the compressor to kick in.

Ratio - This determines the actual volume output based on how far over the threshold your signal is. 4:1, for example, is a common ratio, meaning that if your signal is 4 dB over the threshold it only results in a 1 dB increase in volume.

Attack / Release - Fairly straightforward if you're already familiar with volume envelopes on synthesizers. Essentially, how long it takes for compression to kick in after reaching the threshold and how long it takes to stop after going below the threshold.

Different compressors may be more or less complex but those are the settings that are pretty constant through almost all of them. Play around with them a bit and you'll get a feel for how things work.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

d0grent posted:

I'm looking for a good analogue compressor. I'll be using it to record vocals mostly. Any suggestions?

Do you have a budget in mind? There are a few classics that serve as a good starting point, like the UA 1176, Avalon VT-747 or SSL XLogic. If you need to go lower or want to go higher you can, but those are a good place to start looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

d0grent posted:

Ok the RNC looks good, but it only has 1/4" inputs. If I want to connect a mic to it, is it a bad idea to use an XLR to 1/4" adaptor?

I think they want you to use it with the Really Nice Mic-Pre. :v:

Not a bad idea if you don't already have a decent pre as well.

• Locked thread