Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo92
Nov 6, 2009
I'm trying my hand at some melodic DnBish stuff, would appreciate any feedback!

http://soundcloud.com/joelsimon/surface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

xpander posted:

maybe do something like add a second top bass after the short breakdown, fade it in, and give both basses some modulation/lfo/wobble. Maybe add a stinger or two. Also I'd chop/glitch the vocals to hell and back for the second half.

thanks, I think stuff like this is pretty much what I already knew it needed to progress nicely, I just needed an outside perspective to reinforce it in my mind

Horrido posted:

God I love your music! One thing I'm not feeling is the Trap-like Hi-hats. I'd go for a nice long ride, just sitting in the back, barely audible.

thanks for the kind words! Yeah the machine gun high hats are definitely a bold choice and I don't imagine they'll please everyone, and I used to not mess with them because I thought they sounded cheesy, but I'm starting to really like how they sound in certain contexts like over slow chord progressions.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

I dig your stuff man! But in this one I think you need more variation or weird effects or something on that fast high-hat stuff towards the end. Also this is maybe personal preference but I'd like the snare to be something with less dominated by its low-end, especially with the big reverb you have going on with the drums.

Edit: I've been working on some more chilled out stuff than I usually do, any thoughts? Both pretty rough around the edges!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

^ I'm planning on adding variation in the timing of the hats at the end so it's not just straight up 32nd notes or whatever, what kind of effects did you have in mind?

re:snares yeah I haven't even given any thought towards the actual mixdown yet aside from compression, I'll be sure to pay attention to what you're talking about with the snare when I get there.

Gonna listen to your stuff now.

edit:

quote:

thoughts

This is tight, has a nice rising action film score vibe. Some more pad work over the top of that rolling bassline might sound cool as it progresses.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 23, 2012

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

slardel posted:

This is tight, has a nice rising action film score vibe. Some more pad work over the top of that rolling bassline might sound cool as it progresses.

Thanks man. Yeah that's a good idea and I was also wondering about having some more high-end drums but it sounds so deep and spacious without I'll have to experiment.

As for your hihat effects you could go wild with some dry/wet automated delays or reverbs and sidechain a phaser on it or something, or go more glitchy, use your judgement!

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010

LL Fiesta! posted:

Thanks for listening! Are you referring to the hi-hats from the beginning, or the more rapid percussion that comes in later? Perhaps I'll bring down the later percussion. I'll think about varying the synths a bit more, but I'm about ready to call it done and I'm not sure i want to get deep back into it. I never would have imagined female vocals with it, but yes that sounds interesting in my head. I think I'm gonna leave that out because I'm gonna send it to my sister as a gift for her baby, and I think vocals would be out of place in that context.

I really appreciate the feedback!

This is sounding pretty good to me. The snare once the bass drops sounds a bit impotent to me, though. Maybe some distortion on it? Or just some more high-end energy and a little reverb?

edit: When I listen to dubstep (not often), I think the snares usually sound poor, so I'm probably just out of my genre here.

Yeah I mean the hI-hats as whole are bit too high. But maybe that's me, usually my hi-hats are far behind everything else.

Actually I'm in *love* with that snare. I think it fits perfectly.
Everything sounds weird because it's kind of an awkward composition, It's a bit too sparse, tomorrow I'll try to wip up some more synths to fill it.

Here's an updated version, with bonus tribal breakdown awkwardly shoehorned in:
http://soundcloud.com/rpblc/they-roam-1-8/s-xQ6ua

Thanks for the feedback!

e: english is hard at 3am

Horrido fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 24, 2012

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

LL Fiesta! posted:

It's pretty....happy.

Nice, it reminds me a bit of I am Robot and Proud

LL Fiesta!
Jul 30, 2002
hello

Horrido posted:

Actually I'm in *love* with that snare. I think it fits perfectly.
Everything sounds weird because it's kind of an awkward composition, It's a bit too sparse, tomorrow I'll try to wip up some more synths to fill it.

Here's an updated version, with bonus tribal breakdown awkwardly shoehorned in:
http://soundcloud.com/rpblc/they-roam-1-8/s-xQ6ua

Thanks for the feedback!

e: english is hard at 3am

By all means keep rockin the snare then.

I really like the sound of that tom fill that plays fully right before the second drop. It would be fun if you did some more with it, like chop it up and splash it around during the main bassy part.

Sounding good.

Lump Shaker posted:

Nice, it reminds me a bit of I am Robot and Proud

Thanks. I just youtubed him (them?) and it sounds pretty good. Any particular album I should get?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Sub-bass question inbound:

So I'm writing a jump-up D&B tune in the key of B. The low note some of the 808 and sine subs I'm using is B-1, around 30Hz if Ableton's Spectrum is accurate. I have a decent subwoofer, but it seems that the low B lacks volume even though it's just as loud according to the software. Is this just poor acoustics messing with me, or what? Should I adjust the note velocity to even out the perceived volume, transpose to a different key, or trust the meter? This also got me wondering about how low it's really worthwhile to make a sub-bass. I know stereo companies tend to advertise '20Hz-20kHz' and lots of venues have bigass subs, but what's 'too low' before things start to roll off in most PAs? And don't mastering engineers tend to do that at like 30Hz anyway?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 25, 2012

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I'd try listening on a different setup if you can or with a good pair of headphones, I think you should definitely be able to feel/hear 30hz. If you're working with a pure sine tone down there, there are various ways to generate some harmonics to make it a bit more audible.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Does anyone have any pointers on making a really deep bass-y 808 kick? I've been messing around with an 808 sample and a sine wave but I'm pretty clueless.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

Does anyone have any pointers on making a really deep bass-y 808 kick? I've been messing around with an 808 sample and a sine wave but I'm pretty clueless.

I think a really important part of that kind of kick is getting a nice punchy transient, something I've done in the past is just highpass and layer a short kick sample over a sine sub bass and compress the hell out of it with a high attack to get a nice punch

edit: I don't really have anything better to do so I just did a quick and dirty version - first the highpassed kicks, then the sub, then together http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/kicks/s-tbqLp

idk, feel free to disregard if it's not what you're looking for

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 26, 2012

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

slardel posted:

I think a really important part of that kind of kick is getting a nice punchy transient, something I've done in the past is just highpass and layer a short kick sample over a sine sub bass and compress the hell out of it with a high attack to get a nice punch

edit: I don't really have anything better to do so I just did a quick and dirty version - first the highpassed kicks, then the sub, then together http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/kicks

idk, feel free to disregard if it's not what you're looking for

Did you take it down?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

oh, I'm an idiot.

http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/kicks/s-tbqLp

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
What's a good source for drum samples? The ones that come with Ableton are kind of crap.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Typo92 posted:

I'm trying my hand at some melodic DnBish stuff, would appreciate any feedback!

http://soundcloud.com/joelsimon/surface

I like this. Without trying to tell you how to write melodic DnB (I don't have much, if any, of a clue) I think maybe the snare could be more...snappy? I'm thinking 909/standard pendusnare. A bit more high end on it.

Content:

Here's something I've been cooking up. Dubstep or something.

http://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/600adubstep-1

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
This started off as an experiment in sound design but very rapidly turned into techno. A lot of massive and bouncing audio down.
It's real dark. Probably a bit too dark.

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/no-children

how is it?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 27, 2012

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

This started off as an experiment in sound design but very rapidly turned into techno. A lot of massive and bouncing audio down.
It's real dark. Probably a bit too dark.

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/no-children

how is it?

I like it, the dark sounds kind of remind me of really early Delirium or Front Line Assembly. I think the part from 1:50-2:50ish could stand to be cleaned up a little bit though, it's tough to make out some of the sounds.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Hi all, new track up. It's a kind of housey techno thing. Spent the weekend mastering it up as best I could, think it turned out alright? Would love some feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/careyb/bill-carey-bedtime-story

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

CareyB posted:

Hi all, new track up. It's a kind of housey techno thing. Spent the weekend mastering it up as best I could, think it turned out alright? Would love some feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/careyb/bill-carey-bedtime-story

Percussion on this is pretty top notch.

Started a new electrohouse track today. I can't decide if I want to keep working on it or scrap it.

http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/double-whatevs-duncare

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Dubstep:

http://tindeck.com/listen/qubs

Let me know what yall think.

edit: it keeps crackling from tindeck, but the mp3 sounds fine on my computer. let me know if thats happening to you.

oredun fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 31, 2012

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Thoogsby posted:

Percussion on this is pretty top notch.

Started a new electrohouse track today. I can't decide if I want to keep working on it or scrap it.

http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/double-whatevs-duncare

Cheers!

Yours sounds good up to the drop, but the synth you bring in after seems out of key and the bass is way too dry and clicky. I'd feel it more if it boomed through me rather than passed by overhead... if that makes any sense.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Hey guys, can you help me out?
Over at my friend's house, he doesn't have the funds for a proper audio interface and we have a cheap amazon USB -> Midi cable for his keyboard that acts as our midi controller.

This is what happens when I play a note on every beat - it's just a tiny bit off. I've got no idea how to fix this, can anyone help me out? I just need to compensate for that little bit of lag somehow and I don't know what menu or option to go into and set to fix that.

Thanks in advance, guys.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I started something this morning as kind of a sketch and it ended up sounding like a good start to something. The only problem is I can't figure out how to stop it from running in the red the entire time, I love the kicks as booming as they are but I can't really add in some bass without causing a clipping mess just due to volume (the sample here isn't set up for bass, there's not much of a filter on the lows of the lead).

http://soundcloud.com/wafflehound/2-1

Also the obvious problem is here:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

WickedIcon posted:

What's a good source for drum samples? The ones that come with Ableton are kind of crap.

What kind of drum samples?

Goldbaby has some very nice samples of classic drum machines, including a bunch of freebies.

For acoustic kit drums, I usually Battery (Native Instruments); Drumkit From Hell (Toontrack) and BFD (FXPansion) are also pretty popular.

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Hey guys, can you help me out?
Over at my friend's house, he doesn't have the funds for a proper audio interface and we have a cheap amazon USB -> Midi cable for his keyboard that acts as our midi controller.

This is what happens when I play a note on every beat - it's just a tiny bit off. I've got no idea how to fix this, can anyone help me out? I just need to compensate for that little bit of lag somehow and I don't know what menu or option to go into and set to fix that.

Thanks in advance, guys.

You can try installing ASIO4ALL drivers for your sound card. The delay is being caused by latency in the audio drivers, so you either need better drivers or a different interface.

h_double fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 1, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I started something this morning as kind of a sketch and it ended up sounding like a good start to something. The only problem is I can't figure out how to stop it from running in the red the entire time, I love the kicks as booming as they are but I can't really add in some bass without causing a clipping mess just due to volume (the sample here isn't set up for bass, there's not much of a filter on the lows of the lead).

There are a few things you can try:

1. Turn down the levels on the individual tracks. It's good practice to turn all of your track faders down to around -12dB as a matter of course, to give yourself more headroom. You can always turn up your monitors to compensate.

2. Use selective EQ to carve out breathing room for the different parts. Maybe the kick drum has a lot of energy around 80Hz and the fundamental frequency of the bass is around 200Hz (you can measure this with Live's "Spectrum" effect or something like Voxengo SPAN), in that case you'd want to cut or highpass EQ the bass around 80Hz and cut some frequencies around 200Hz for the kick.

3. Arrange your track so the kick and bass aren't playing at the same time, e.g. have the kick on the 1-2-3-4 beats, and the bass on the eighth notes ("and" beats) in between. You can hear this on a lot of trance records.

4. Use a sidechain compressor on the bass so its level ducks when the kick triggers. This can be used deliberately for effect, but don't automatically use it as a go-to solution on every track. Similarly, you can use compression or a limiter to tame the peaks on a part, but I recommend using this for deliberate tone shaping rather than problem solving, because it can suck the energy out of a track if you overdo it.

Turn poo poo down and look at your EQ situation first and foremost.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

EDIT Oh wow, where did the time go? Beaten severely.

Lavender Philtrum posted:

he doesn't have the funds for a proper audio interface
As per the above, the simplest explanation seems that you are subconsciously compensating for latency by playing early.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The only problem is I can't figure out how to stop it from running in the red the entire time, I love the kicks as booming as they are but I can't really add in some bass without causing a clipping mess just due to volume
:wtc: Turn everything down by the same amount.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Put a compressor on it then a limiter. Thats all ya gotta do.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 8, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll go ahead and turn everything down.

It may seem obvious to you but we all have to start somewhere. <:mad:>

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

oredun posted:

Put a compressor on it then a limiter. Thats all ya gotta do.

THIS.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Asking this straight up, how the gently caress do I master a track?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
And how the gently caress do I compress things, I don't get the knobs in the compressor. :(

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

And how the gently caress do I compress things, I don't get the knobs in the compressor. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-1Y8fa3aw

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Thoogsby posted:

Asking this straight up, how the gently caress do I master a track?

You don't - at least you shouldn't. True mastering is an arcane art, and requires a properly trained mastering engineer. Mixing is likely what you're referring to, which is a largely separate process - deciding on the balance of different elements in the mix, applying EQ, compression etc. to individual tracks. Essentially, what you naturally do as you work through the process of composing your tracks. Mastering is a different beast, involving subtle application of compression, limiting, and EQ over the entire track. Your track should be completed to your satisfaction when you hand it over to a mastering engineer - they won't fix your mistakes, but they will make your work sound finished, cohesive and professional.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
When you get picked up by a label they can hook you up with someone to master your tracks. You might have to pay for it, but they'll know a dude. Dont worry about it, just make your poo poo sound as good as possible.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thanks for the replies. Is there anything worth exploring with mastering plugins like Izotope Ozone?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Absolutely - they'll help you make your stuff sound better. It wont be good enough for release, but it'll be more than good enough to make your stuff sound big and get you noticed.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

First, make sure you understand what compression is. Compression, classically, is about maintaining a consistent volume profile throughout a song. A popular misconception is that compression makes things louder, which technically is completely inaccurate - simply put, what it really does is even out the overall volume of your track by smoothing out the high peaks in amplitude. If you understand that, the controls on a compressor are fairly straighforward. Here's what you're looking at on an average compressor:

Threshold - This determines at what point an incoming signal triggers compression. For example, if your threshold is 0 dB, anything over that level will cause the compressor to kick in.

Ratio - This determines the actual volume output based on how far over the threshold your signal is. 4:1, for example, is a common ratio, meaning that if your signal is 4 dB over the threshold it only results in a 1 dB increase in volume.

Attack / Release - Fairly straightforward if you're already familiar with volume envelopes on synthesizers. Essentially, how long it takes for compression to kick in after reaching the threshold and how long it takes to stop after going below the threshold.

Different compressors may be more or less complex but those are the settings that are pretty constant through almost all of them. Play around with them a bit and you'll get a feel for how things work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll go ahead and turn everything down.

It may seem obvious to you but we all have to start somewhere. <:mad:>
Oh, yeah, totally fair. I had to learn this too at one point and it took me a while. In fact the only thing that ever went out on vinyl with my name on it consisted entirely of music that had all its tracks compressed flat and limited because of the need to have everything louder all the time. The music wasn't mine, but the mixing was under my direction and at that time I just did not get that levels within a mix are completely relative to each other. Keep that in mind.

If you want to hear the mix loudly, crank up your monitors instead of the level of every separate track. There's no need to go in the red at all, you don't even have to go near it. It's all floating points math (well, when everything is "in the box" and you're barely fighting noise levels) and, staying away from unreasonable extremes, it scales up pretty nice afterwards. If, on the other hand, your mix results in a clipping wave, information is lost and you can't scale back down to regain that information.

Although compressing/limiting the kick is something you typically would do, I'm not jumping on that as a solution, because it changes the character of the sound. And you explicitly said you wanted to keep the kick the way it was. As per the whole floating point thing, you don't really need compressors and limiters in an in the box mix. You can keep that poo poo under control by programming and setting your levels properly (everything downwards if necessary, as I said, it doesn't really have negative side effects). Which is why I would advocate only using compressors if your whole point is to change the internal dynamics and character of the sound. Explicitly not for damage control.

Note that this is different if some of your material is outboard gear and crosses digital/analog/digital boundaries. Because in that case having too low of an input signal can mean you're also amplifying noise later. Compressing a kick also makes total sense, but it implies that you'll end up with a different kick. You should do that if that's what you want. It's also probably going to be a practical thing, because keeping that kick cover that whole dynamic range will end up defining a pretty unconventional mix. But fixing the levels first makes sense, because you can choose a compromise later instead of being forced into it.

• Locked thread