Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Computer Jones posted:

In the past, certainly, a DJ would have had two copies of record (with a nice drum break or something) and juggle the drum breaks back and forth so Record B starts as soon as Record A finishes and vice versa, and adding little things like scratching and cutting. I'm not sure to what extent this is still done, considering that there's Traktor and stuff now.

A lot of scratched vocals in hip-hop is just the DJ scratching one of the group's previous singles or something. Dub plates can indeed be pressed, though I believe it's generally pretty expensive to do so (correct me if I'm wrong).

Dubplates are a bit impractical for scratching, you'll wear it out quickly and it will skip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

trill rear end posted:

this might sound awful, tryin some crazy poo poo

This is pretty cool.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

I made this future garagey/dubsteppy thing a few days ago.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

trill rear end posted:

finally workin on new stuff

a little bit of a different sound

yo, this is cool

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Terrible Horse posted:

4 tracks i made, intended to go together as a short album: http://soundcloud.com/dogworldmusic

theyre in reverse order and i dunno how to move them around, start at the bottom. would love to hear feedback and critique.

I like this.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Yeah, that's about right. I usually have sub bass as a sine wave between 40-90hz.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Acid house is still the poo poo played a huge role in the evolution of virtually all modern electronic dance music. <3 Acid.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

melee beats posted:

You guys are really sampling disco and funk off of Youtube? That's a really, really horrible idea. The modern version of digging through records at the store is to actually go and crate dig. That's exactly what the people on Youtube do.

I would never, ever, ever use a disco rip from Youtube. Considering the quality degradation that occurs just from vinyl to mp3, then from mp3 to youtube, then youtube through a loopback or some stupid program, that's like copying a xerox of a xerox. I'm not going to waste your or my time with a frequency analysis of a vinyl/mp3 conversion vs a youtube comparison, but I can guarantee you that its going to sound like garbage.

i can see surfing the rare funk dudes and getting some ideas, buying the vinyl to sample, or at least getting the MP3 to download, but you really want a mediocre sample as the basis for your track? A lot of the character is gone. Sorry, but that's a horrible idea.

Youtube compression adds character and if your going to put it through tons of filtering and effects it doesn't really matter that much anyway. Ripping from low quality youtube videos is the new ripping from old tapes/dirty vinyl. It's art, there are no rules, do whatever you want as long as it sounds good. Do you think that Untrue by Burial or Da Trak Genious by DJ Nate would have the same character if they had taken all their samples from high fidelity sources? As far as I am concerned using lo-fi samples is a valid artistic technique.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

melee beats posted:

This conversation was started because the dude was looking for French House samples

Yeah, it really depends on the circumstances and what you're doing with it really- I probably wouldn't sample a bassline from youtube if I wanted it to knock on a large system. However I would hate for someone to feel that they can't sample from youtube because it's against the "rules" and needlessly limit themselves (it's a fantastic resource).

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

breaks posted:

My first piece of advice is to uninstall Audacity.

Don't do this, Audacity is a perfectly good wave editor.

Just try demo versions of some of the big DAWs, and get the one that clicks with you. I like FL Studio, lots of people like Ableton, Renoise, Cubase, Reason, whatever, it's all good really, as long as it works and you're comfortable with it.

The only piece of hardware I'd recommend for a total beginner is a decent pair of speakers or headphones. Earbuds and laptop speakers are totally inadequate for any serious music production. It's pretty tough to make music when you can barely hear the kicks and bass. A MIDI keyboard is very useful but you can definitely make music without one. It looks like you already have a pair of speakers, so, yeah, just don't use your laptop speakers or earbuds when you're making music please :)

Also, keep in mind that audacity isn't really a program for making music, it's more for recording and trimming samples.

Also, I can't recommend this VST enough:

http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/

A free, great sounding, synthesizer with a very easy to use interface and low CPU footprint. It's the perfect VST to learn basic subtractive synthesis on, but it's good enough to keep on using afterwards as well.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Thanks for the advice so far. My next question was actually going to be "what synthesizing program would you recommend" since after probing around with audacity for a while, I realized it doesn't really do that. I'm also going to look at ableton and some of the other DAWs, but I'll check this program out first before I worry about editing and mixing.

Oh, and definitely thanks for the music theory link, breaks. I think I've already learned some useful things from it, and I'm sure it'll be a huge help!

If you're talking about Synth1, it's a VST plugin, you need a DAW to use it

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I think you're thinking about this way too much. Just grab a DAW and start dicking around, it will all fall into place

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I'm having a problem with Traktor and my electribe and maybe you guys can help.

I used this guide http://www.freewebs.com/sobotoys/mapping%20engl.html and used Midi-OX and Midi Yoke to get the knobs on my Electribe ER-1 to send MIDI data. This works fine in FL Studio, but for some reason Traktor detects all the knobs as the same so I can't assign different knobs to different things. The buttons work fine, though.

edit: it detects the delay knobs as seperate, but they only go in one direction for some reason

Number Two Stunna fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 19, 2012

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

HTML5 posted:

Is that a Roland Gaia? How do you like that thing? I was eyeballing it for a sec.

I had one for about a month, great interface+midi controller, but it just doesn't sound right, in a bad way. Can't quite put my finger on why, but it just always sounded weird in a mix. Never quite fit. There are about a million VA synths that sound better, and quite a few free VSTs that sound better too.

edit: That said, it's a lot of fun to use, and makes nice pads. They have demo units at Best Buy, so it might be worthwhile to try one out. Maybe I just couldn't get nice sounds out of it because I suck :shrug:

Number Two Stunna fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 1, 2012

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Thoogsby posted:

Does anyone know a good free Xylophone VST or instrument?

Never had a problem using the xylophone sounds in the M1 or Wavestation VSTs. General MIDI soundfonts will have xylophone sounds too. Kind of cheesy and 90s, but whatever.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone have any good advice for layering claps? I really like working with samples I make myself, and while I have little problem with drums and hats claps elude the hell out of me.

Try having one clap that acts as the body and one that's high passed a bit higher that acts as the sizzle

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Anal Surgery posted:

But if you only have a moment, and you're a fan/producer of UK Future Garage or tangential genres, I'd settle for an answer to this question: it seems like UKGF-type tracks have quietish, mostly subby basslines and rely more on the vibe of the drum and spooky vocals/high end stuff for the meat of the track. Am I off base on this? What is the "goal" of a UKGF bassline? Half the tracks I hear hardly even have one, it feels like.

I guess if you're listening to ambientish stuff, the bass is going to be more subtle, but usually bass is a huge part of UK garage, even Burial has some pretty heavy basslines. There's even a subgenre of UK garage called bassline house. I'd call the bassline the meat of most garage tracks.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I've been making some old-schoolish techno/house recently, and i was wondering if I could get some criticism, especially with regard to arrangement (which I'm not super good at!). I put these together earlier today, they're based on a lot of the same sounds.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTnD9-GZ_d8

how do you make singing computer voices like this?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

wayfinder posted:

Thanks :) I don't have much on the master bus, usually just analysis plugins to see if what I'm mixing works, and then a bit of loudness boost/peak limiting to get it to release level loudness (but I do that after I'm done with everything else and they're not there when I actually make the track).

I've recently started looking into Limiter No. 6 (http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/) and BoostX (http://www.directap.com/boostx.htm, yes that is seriously the web site), two free plugins that could help me streamline that a bit more.

All your stuff is good as hell, do you have any stuff released?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Griff Lee posted:

Someone should make some Jungle tracks with me. Jungle kicks rear end.

whats your soundcloud and what daw do you use?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I never really looked at the default vsts that come with FL Studio before, but i started messing around with drumsynth live and its amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Your Computer posted:

I've recently been thinking about DAWs, seeing that Bitwig is now out and constantly improving and also my annoyances with Ableton. I obviously know Live better than any other DAW so Bitwig (being quite similar) is an obvious choice, but I just remembered how I used to use FL Studio back when I started. Now, my question for the thread is; why does FL Studio get such a bad rap? From what I've gathered it's mostly looked down upon as more of a toy than a "real" DAW, which doesn't make sense to me looking at all the incredibly neat stuff they have these days. Is it just something old that stuck? Is it because of the cutesy interface? That many newbies use it? I know it has some really silly stuff (I'm looking at you "Soundgoodizer"), but as a DAW it has some really nice VST's and powerful tools.

Just wondering where that reputation came from and why it (seemingly) persists.

It was associated with really bad amateur producers pumping out lazy crap in the beginning because it was one of the first really easy to use DAWs. It also used to be called Fruity Loops.

I don't think it was a complete DAW is the beginning, either. Anyway, it developed that reputation more than 10 years ago probably and these things just have a way of sticking around, people in the know don't think ill of FL

• Locked thread