Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I am new to making electronic music. I have been learning (very slowly) to use FL Studio 10 for about two weeks and feel that I have not learned anywhere near enough to do anything worthwhile. I have mostly been trying to figure out how to make the sounds I want using Sytrus. I have been following a tutorial, but still I am baffled when I try using it. Does anyone know of a guide that can help me learn to make any sound I want to and actually know what the hell I am doing?

At the moment, I only want to make two sounds. One is a very simple bass, which I am astonished at how I can not find anything that sounds close enough to it in Sytrus' presets or in any samples online.

Specifically, I want a bass that sounds like the one in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCWjW8mDyE

Second, I am trying to make a violin plucking kind of sound kind of like the one in this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liDBB2ZKKKM Specifically, the higher pitched ones.

I feel kind of intimidated to ask, since everyone here knows way more than I do, but I have looked around a lot to figure things out myself, and have made very little progress. I dont know if all of the answers I am looking for are already in the thread or not, and if they are, I have no idea what page to start looking on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

When I try google and youtube, I normally only get crap about dubstep. So I figured it would be better to ask people here.

Anyway thanks guys. I figured I would have a long way to go before I know enough to make some stuff. Either way, I think what you have posted will all help pretty well for now.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 16, 2013

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a very good drumkit, or multiple drumkits, that would allow me to have whatever drum I need instead of only a few drums? All I seem to find has very little variety.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I am going to get more serious with learning how to use synthesizers. I just need to know how the hell to get all the knobs and bars and whatever to make what I want, so I dont have to listen to horrible saw waves for over an hour. Anyone know of a real good tutorial?

My idea is to imitate the lead synths from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yhpGBAvHl8
I particularly want to replicate the one that starts playing at 1m:35s.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Laserjet 4P posted:

video clips like gently caress, or is that how the actual ost sounds?

My approach would be to take a solo distorted guitar, play a sustained note, then record that and loop a portion seamlessly in a sampler. Set the sampler to monophonic and enable portamento, and that should get you close.

Yeah, it is supposed to clip, i think? It may just be how it was uploaded, but I have never heard it differently. I am watching the bootcamp videos now, it looks like it might help. Going to read the tutorial in that thread next. Thanks!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I have been looking for guitar samples or soundfonts or VSTs or frikkin anything that can make the sounds I am looking for. Does anyone know where I can get good ones for less than $40? Preferably free, since I am on a very small budget.

To be specific, I need one that can sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOaRNFsCPoY&t=233s

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I can't afford a guitar.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Okay, now I am starting to find some good samples, that one that was linked was pretty close to what I wanted.

Also, I have been trying out those amp things that you recommended, Flipperwaldt, and I have been experimenting with them. Thanks.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I found a goldmine of soundfonts from a post on Newgrounds. It has every non-electronic instrument I could ever need, and I still haven't tried out all of it.

The link is here http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1200140
If anyone is looking for this kind of thing, this is a good way to do it, there is nearly 3.5 Gigabytes of soundfonts in there.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Edit: Never mind

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 21, 2013

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Does anyone here know how to make percussion sound like the cymbals (i think that is what they are) in this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEwAS2PKZjE&t=25s
I have been looking around for samples, but can't find anything quite like it. Do I need a sound filter?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's just white noise. Enveloped. Maybe slightly lowpass filtered with the frequency set to key follow for the variations. Edit: push some resonance in there to introduce extra tonality.

Any Virtual Analog synth (plugin) with noise as a possible choice for oscillator should be able to do the trick.

I have been trying to do this, and still have not succeeded, is there a particular Synth you use for this (I have been using Synth1)

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Awesome, that made a huge difference. This is going to save me quite a few hours of screwing with the dials and making my ears bleed. Thank you!

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 1, 2013

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I have been working for a while on my own music (this is my first time making music). So far I have three in the works, and I was wanting an opinion on one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TEEqlBMO2A
This one is incomplete at the moment. At this point I would say that it is about 3/5s done
The radio sounds in the background were intentional and might be redone later to make them mix better.
So far the one thing I dislike is that sound that starts playing at 0:34.

I don't really know where to go from this. I have been trying to figure out how to continue it but have been drawing blanks.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 9, 2013

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I finally finished my first project in FL Studio. You can listen to it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPt3sN_aWc
Please tell me what you think.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah, my bad; instead of just trying it for myself, I just went from theory in my head. In the process I missed the pretty important detail that you should use a bandpass filter instead of a lowpass filter. Otherwise you get stuck with a bunch of low end noise that doesn't resemble a hihat anymore.

I think you'll find that concept/ballpark-wise Synth1 will do fine. If you want to pull more out of this concept, a plugin with more control over various filters and filter parameters is Oatmeal.

Starting from a standard, built in Synth1 init patch, all the stuff marked pink is what you need to change to roughly the values in this screenshot:

I gave it a go and I am (mostly) happy with the results I got.
https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/computation
Still, I am trying to get the sound to have a bit more strength to it. I want it to sound a bit closer to a distant metallic sound, or at least a bit more distinct (sharper maybe?).

I guess I just want to get more out of this sound. I messed with the example you provided and got this:

The third note in the sequence was on a separate channel, since I don't know how to assign frequency or other things to keys. It makes more of a brushing sound than the tapping sound of the first one, since all I really did was change the decay stage on the amp.

So, what can I do to improve these further? I tried replicating them in Oatmeal, but I don't really understand Oatmeal so well.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Lots of stuff

Sweet Jesus, I did it! Thank you so much! I finally have the sound I wanted all along. You are freaking awesome, where did you learn this stuff?

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 16, 2013

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I have been working on two projects, but have no loving clue as to how to continue them. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/lights
This one is an older one and I was just experimenting with soundfonts, but I hit a dead end about a month ago and could never figure out how to build upon what is already there. I want to extend it up to three minutes at the least but cant for the life of me figure out how. I don't even know what instruments to add in.

https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/does-not-compute
This one I was experimenting with different effects and filters until I liked what I heard. But now I don't know how to continue it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I have been trying to create simple drum beats to use as a starting point for any new projects, since I am no good at coming up with something on purpose. My current desire is to make electronic sounding music.

My problem is that I don't even know how to make a drum beat from scratch. Usually I add it in later. So I tried starting with basses instead. Sadly I don't know how to do that either.

Does anyone have any advice on how to simply get started on a new project?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I finally figured out what I want in one of my projects but hit another snag when I realized that I don't have any good staccato string soundfonts. Anyone know where I can find some?

Edit: I have looked around a bit but have not found any good ones that are free.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I have been fiddling with Synth1 and still have a lot to figure out. I have tried using some presets and have about 1000 of them now, but most of them are not very practical. I am trying to figure out how to make most sounds on my own, but have trouble.

Right now I am trying to make sounds similar to the ones in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR2vYPddzAc
They are so simple sounding but I can't figure them out.

Another one I am trying to imitate sounds from is this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQRt0jLR6IQ
I figure that since these have sounds similar to the ones I want to make, that being able to imitate these ones would allow me to make my own much more effectively. Does anyone here know of a tutorial or something that can help me here?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Oh, right. I forgot that there was a thread for that.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

h_double posted:

....In the second track, I'm not sure which sounds you are trying to recreate....

I was actually meaning the base instrument, as well as the slow rising "wooooop" sound.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

So I have recently been able to motivate myself enough to start trying to work on music again. I still have the same problems as before, namely not knowing how to make sounds. There are many specific sounds that I want to at least make something close to, but have no ability to do so. How do I figure out how to make sounds more effectively, so that I am not aimlessly loving around with dials for hours on end and getting nothing out of it?

One other thing I was wondering was about using filters on soundfonts to make them more interesting. I am wanting to make sounds that are gritty and electronic sounding, are there filters that are really good for that?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

For the last six months I have been stuck. I dont know how to create music from scratch and dont know how to go about learning how to.

I dont know how to make a melody (or even if that is the right word) or figure out what sounds I want in the melody, or how to come up with a drum loop. I can never find sounds that I like, or even if I do, I wont know what to do with them or how to start making something. So for six months, I have just been turning knobs hoping to make a sound that is good and then failing to progress past that. I got nothing but blank sheets. How do I even start, I have no idea how to even get something to build on. Ive become depressed over it.
How do I start a new song or whatever the right word is for it? And if I can start one, how do I figure out what to do with it. All I have is confusion layered upon more confusion. How do I learn? Is there a class or a program that can teach me? I have read so many things and none of them have gotten me anywhere.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

d0grent posted:

lots of advice.

Thanks for the advice, I will try it out.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

So, I have been working with synthesizers some more, and like most of the sounds I make. But now I have come to another roadblock. I dont like the drum samples I have.

Most of the samples I have are generic sets (a bass kick, a couple snares, and a handfull of toms). I am looking for more electric-sounding percussion. I am wanting more clapping sounds, more snapping sounds, more clanging, thumping, and whatever kind of sounds.

Does anyone here know where to get free soundfonts that can get me what I am looking for, or how to use filters to change generic sounds into the kinds that I want?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Does anyone know how to make those weird strings from Extreme Ways? (the end credit theme from the Jason Bourne movies)

I really like those strings and want to try some things with them, but I don't know how to make them.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

So, I have been working more than usual on making music. I was wanting some opinions on what I am currently working on.

https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/system-incomplete
This one I really like, I got the percussion sounding like that by mistake and decided to build things around it. Unfortunately, for about 4 months I have had no clue how to continue it past this point. I cant seem to find any sounds that go well with it. I want a slow, but intense build up throughout it, but I can't get past this point at the moment.

https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/late-night-incomplete

This one is my newest one, in which I am using some of the newest sounds I have learned. I was wanting to go for a Deus Ex kind of feel to it. I am still experimenting with it, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to make it better. The percussion right now is just a placeholder until I can come up with something more fitting.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 13, 2014

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Speaking of drums, there is a kind of drum sound that I have been trying to find for weeks now. Its one of those jungle drums that makes a very flat, beating sound. Here's a song that uses one right at the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVJUZZw0lK8

I don't know what the drum is called or where to find a sample or soundfont of it. Can someone help?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I've recently been remaking this track by ear, and have made a small amount of progress so far. This is what I have at the moment. Obviously, it isnt properly organized yet, since I want to get the sounds right first. I am going to do the guitar by recording my own guitar, and I am definitely going to be changing the percussion and adding better ones. My biggest problem is that I cannot find better string samples. All the samples and soundfonts I have (about 65 of them) are very underwhelming, and the VSTs I am using aren't much better. I have absolutely no money to spare on anything.

TL,DR version: I need a way to make my strings sound good without spending money.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I have a huge problem with percussion. All of my projects grind to a halt when I need percussion because I can never find a sound that is close enough to what I want and have no clue how to change sounds into what I want.

Recently I downloaded something called EDR sampler vol.1, since I need lots of percussion samples just to find one that I can use. Problem is, it contains 5427 samples and I have no loving clue how to make use of that many samples effectively, or even how to find samples that I would want in such a large group.

I know that the samples are all parts of various kits, as in 50 samples are part of one kit, and another 85 or so is another kit. I don't know what I should do. I need percussion, but I have no clue how to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Does anyone here know of other website forums that have threads like the "how to make a particular sound," thread. That thread is kind of dead now and I am wanting to find the same kind of help and advice that thread was able to offer.

• Locked thread