Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Given the recent rash of non-update bumps in the Berserk thread and otherwise, I wasn't expecting much when I checked the thread this time. Glad I was wrong. Man, I am having the best day in my loving life today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Ah man I hate when shows and manga drag on for years. We're already 7 volumes in how loving large will this get?

If it remains as satisfying as it is now, I could care less how long it was. Just as long as we don't get stuck with another Berserk. Miura!!! :argh:

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

.Clash posted:

New Chapter

Man that guy's head is really long.

What a frustratingly short chapter. :(
Just as it was getting good, as well.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Oh, come on. Do you think he's going to say, "All of your money is not enough, go get another thousand pounds of silver?" He's trying to rule a country and reforge human destiny, not get a sweet castle lined entirely in mink.

While I hate to guess, I'm confident it'll be something along the lines of, "I want your support," or command of the guy's military forces, or his land, or maybe religious concessions of some sort--but just asking for more money doesn't fit with the character at all.

Canute talks earlier about making him a pawn. I assume he's going to threaten/frighten him by not immediately taking the surrender. That way, he can ensure loyalty later. Scare the poo poo out of someone and they're less likely to stab you in the back.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Eiba posted:

Do you have the slightest inkling of why that punch was so satisfying to everyone else? Do you even begin to get what's going on in this manga at all?

For months and months we've been following the pitiful lives of two slaves, who've been working their hardest on a field of wheat. And we've been there, every painful difficult step of the way, we've been seeing what exactly they have to go through, how they have to sweat to grow their little plot of grain.

If you just hated all that, how are you even mad right now? Are you even mad, or do you just like seeing people punch each other?

This manga isn't, and no matter what you thought never was, about people punching each other. It's Vinland Saga, not Violence Saga. Ultimately it was always going to be about settling new lands, and that's why we're getting to know the Old World so well, both through war, and through slavery.

Of course you're free to enjoy whatever you want, but it's frustrating to see someone completely unable to appreciate what this manga does best.

I have to echo this sentiment. This manga was always about the slow burn, the build-up, the payoff. Punching horses was just a side benefit.

That said, how can anyone take "Revenge will bring nothing good" as anything but one of the best realizations of character development since Canute?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Laopooh posted:

Hello! I just got hired to do the English translation of this comic, Three Kingdoms: Battle of Red Cliff, and was looking for some advice. I don't have any experience with this period of history so I'm doing a bit of research on the speaking style, common spellings of Chinese names and locations, etc. If anyone could point me to some good English versions of Japanese manga related to the Three Kingdoms I'd greatly appreciate it. Bonus points if it's easily available to order on Amazon or something (to the US). Thanks!

I am a total Three Kingdoms nut, so this sounds exciting. The website https://www.kongming.net is a fairly large resource for three kingdoms material, including translated versions of the historical record the novels are based on. Their forums (Scholars of Shen-Zhou) would also be a great place to ask, as many of the regulars are very knowledgeable about the period.

Some things:

As for name spellings, most people would recognize the names only if presented in pinyin, aka "Cao Cao" as opposed to "Tsao Tsao". While less phonetically accurate, thanks to the popularity of the Moss Robert's translation of the novel and Koei's games based of the period they are the most recognizable spellings.

A watching of the John Woo film Red Cliff would probably help acquaint yourself with the specific events in the comic. If you've got the time, a few episodes from the recent 2010 TV series may also help (totally tooting my own horn), though it may be too large of a time investment.

I'm not that familiar with Japanese manga relating to the three kingdoms, but there is Soten Koro. I'm not sure if there are any English translations available, sadly. There is a Chinese Manhua called Ravages of Time which deals with the period, however it has no official English version. Fan translations can probably be found online, however.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Laopooh posted:

As far as specific spellings go, which do Three Kingdom nerds prefer? For example: "Cao Cao" or "Cáo Cāo," "Zhou Yu" or "Zhōu Yú"? I'm guessing the non-accented versions but I mostly don't want to have to learn the keyboard shortcuts to type those things in.

I think the accents are actually pretty cool. They give you a better idea on the pronunciation. Well, as good an idea as you can get with pinyin. I'm big into 3K, though, so my opinion may not be the majority's.

Laopooh posted:

Any other things that have bothered you guys in other translations of books/comics from this era? I've done a bunch of other comic stuff but never anything historical (I don't think a comic about star-crossed lesbians in 1920's Japan counts as historical...) or set in China, so I figured asking here would be a good place to avoid giant blunders like "Zolo."

A few random thoughts that may/may not have any relevance:

I don't know if the Japanese include Style names in their three kingdoms works. Things like "Kongming" for Zhuge Liang, "Mengde" for Cao Cao, "Xuande" for Liu Bei. Those are the only three that are brought up in the novel with any regularity, but I'm not sure if they make any appearances in Japan. I've certainly never seen them in Koei's games, but that's hardly a reliable test.

The movie Red Cliff removes a lot of the more fantastical elements of the story, aka Zhuge Liang summoning the wind, and plays down the Zhuge Liang-Zhou Yu rivalry and Shu in general. This makes it more historically accurate, but I'm not sure what approach the manga you're translating will take.

Good luck! Let us know whenever you're nearing release, I'd be very interested in check this manga out.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Laopooh posted:

Cool, I'll leave in the accents. Makes the names look more exotic at the least even if you don't know how to pronounce them (me).

Yeah, I've been coming across the style names a lot and was wondering what to do with them. Like when Sun Ce is talking to Zhou Yu he calls him by Gongjin. That poo poo's just gonna be confusing so I think I should keep him as Zhou Yu in all conversation but leave in his style name when he's first introduced to avoid nerd rage. What do you think?

When I know about the release, etc. I'll be sure to post it here or in your Red Cliff tv thread. As far as I know it's only destined for the iTunes and Android stores right now though ><;

Style names are generally used to show respect, as they are given names one takes when they come of age. As such they occasionally have strong meanings when translated, but to get into that you'd have to dive deep into the Moss Robert's translation notes, and that's no easy task.

They could potentially be confusing unless you include a translator's note of some such explaining their significance. I doubt anyone would flip out if they were not used regularly, and keeping them during introduction scenes is a nice compromise.

Please post release info whenever you can! I would kill for a legit paper copy, but I'll take English 3k stuff where I can get it. Out of curiosity, can you tell me what the scope (date-wise) of the manga is? Sun Ce was long dead by the time Red Cliff took place, did he appear in a flashback?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Laopooh posted:

Hmm, makes sense. I'm new to this whole period of history and don't have enough time schedule-wise (grad school coming up) to go hog-wild on it but I'm trying to do as much research as I can to give a faithful translation.

I watched the Red Cliff movie the other day and noticed that Zhuo Yu is called by his regular name but Zhuge Liang is called by his style name of Kongming. What's up with that!

I'm working with a Japanese company called DML that does digital releases for comics so no paper versions on the horizon unless you download it and have a laser printer. This is the Japanese version that's out now: http://tinyurl.com/3au69nq

I highly doubt this could be spoilers but just in case (comic timeline):

It opens in 184 AD with some Yellow Turban Rebellion stuff then introduces Sun Ce and like a bajillion characters. It's a pretty long comic (~250 pages) and Sun Ce only dies on page 39. It ends in with Liu Bei and Zhou Yu biting it, then in 234 when Kongming goes too Zhou Yu's hot wife talks to Zhou Yu in the sky Lion King style and there's a happy epilogue. The art is really well done and the writing is nice, I think you'll like it.

The traditional stories are very pro-Shu, and Kongming himself is elevated to almost god-like status sometimes. Regardless, he's such a major player that he and Liu Bei are almost never referred to as anything but their style name in the novel.

That's quite a helluva lot of stuff to cover in 250 pages, [spoiler]Liu Bei doesn't die until chapter 85 out of 120. The battle itself is only chapters 40-50 in the novel.[\spoiler]

I assume they skim over most of the intro stuff simply as background. 3K is fairly well-known overseas, so the characters only need as much introduction as the Knights of the Round Table would in England.

Unless they start referencing obscure anecdotes and poo poo like that, a faithful translation should be no problem. The names are honestly the only thing I could think of that could go seriously wrong, and you seem to have that well in the bag.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Volume posted:

why we all love it.

:colbert: Speak for yourself. Farming-saga was awesome.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Sinner Sandwich posted:

As a heads up, Hox is putting the new Vinland on /a/ at the moment. Should be up elsewhere soon enough.
Here's the /a/ link: http://boards.4chan.org/a/res/98806905

Thorfinn? Who's Thorfinn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Rodyle posted:

I recently found the first volume at the library (hardcover, it's really nice), because apparently VS actually got licensed at some point, and read a bit of that. MAN you forget after years and years of serialization how some of that early stuff really comes around, like how the whole "a true warrior needs no swords" thing was something Thors said.

Or this little gem.

Looks like the licensing was only recent, with the first volume released in October. I've been waiting for a way to get my hands on a physical copy of this for some time, this is welcome news!