Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DamnGlitch posted:

Well it's pretty loving obvious it'll be back to that in a few chapters.

It drat well better! I loved the fighting scenes, it was like Naruto but with out the gay. I'm also very pleased that those first 50 chapters were the prologue. It's nice to see a manga that doesn't embrace the 12 year old saves the world. 12 year olds were just the intro. But if this is released monthly doesn't that mean that the prologue lasted like 4 years?

Anyways I discovered this thread a few days ago and sped read through it. I can't wait for more to come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's up on One Manga too.
http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/58/

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kingtheninja posted:

Heart skipped a beat when I saw this thread near the top :colbert:

Edit: I realize I'm only making it worse by posting but I don't care!

Well I guess now it's my turn to crush some other readers hopes.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

apekillape posted:

I for one love their farming adventures. A further year of this might kill me, but for now I can't explain it, but I'm enjoying it.

I guess if you had read all the way through the kick rear end prologue this might be a nice change of pace but at the rate that it comes out is just so slow that it feels like nothing is happening.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

At first I thought "Suck Harder" was referring to all the work they did. Now I just see that it refers to jack poo poo happening!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

apekillape posted:

So ya, it's definitely not a writing issue, it's just a release pacing issue, me.

You'll hear no arguments from me here. The farming wouldn't be a big deal for me if I didn't have to wait 2 months to get to the next issue of Vinland Saga 65: Need a plow.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Zorak change the thread title to
Vinland Saga - The Vikings, They're farming [56k need a horse]

Seconding this.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The way this comic has been going lately with the farm-sim, I half expected it to start going into the history of ploughs. At least now we're getting foreshadowing and possible turmoil instead of looking for horses.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just wish he'd start killing people again.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

People who say the farming arc is boring are dumb. There are several interesting plot threads going now and things keep happening. While horse punching is certainly awesome, the change from the purely grim and gritty content has added a lot of depth.

The key word is now. Now that the plot is actually developing and going somewhere it's getting intresting. Before there was nothing but day today life that had no impact on anything. Horse punching is awesome. We can all agree but even earlier the non combat chapters were good too. With Canute and Askaled trying to outwit and maneuver the king, those were good too cause something was happening. The start of the farm arc though just hit a dead stop to anything.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"Revenge will bring nothing good." What a bunch of bull! Just look at what happened when they took revenge out. The comic became a bigger bore then watching some one playing The Sims. Now that revenge is back though shits getting good again. Yay for revenge!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

It doesn't have it's own thread, so I'm going to post the new chapter of Historie here, and suffer through people coming in to post "i thought there was more farming :smith:"

I thought there was more revenge :smith:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad to see revenge is still keeping this story going strong.
Yay violence!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am so glad to see that Vinland still hasn't forgotten why we all love it.Violence blood guts coin-in-eye and gore!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
drat I thought Snake was going to go down and Gadar was going to go berserk forcing Throfin to defend himself and fight again. That was a pretty cool fight though

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Once every 2 or 3 months is not quick enough for this manga.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

OH gently caress

(new Vinland Saga)

This is why I love Vinland Saga.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I never noticed the hand thing. Thank you guys for pointing out another thing for me to appreciate.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mangafox is saying Vinland Saga has been licensed. Does this mean I'll be able to buy them here in the states?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Simstim posted:

Fuckkk too short

That's how I feel about every Vinland Saga update. They could make the next one 300 pages and I'll still think it's too short. I loved the little bit with Askeladd challenging Thorfinn on his new found beliefs. I think this fight closely mirrors the fight that Thors had with Askeladd and is first step to becoming a "true warrior"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah there is definitively a mirror between the fight with Snake and the fight between Thors and Askaledd. The thing I love about this manga is that they just leave it at that. Any other artist would have had a two page spread of Thors spirit watching down on Thorfinn with an approving hand on his shoulder, a word bubble saying "good job son" and a few other pages to make sure you picked up on that.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yes but because that was always the voice that was pushing him and driving him. The one who, whether Askeladd wanted to or not, taught Thorfinn. Even now it's not even a congratulatory or good job that Thorfinn is hearing. It's Askeladd who's challenging Thorfinns new found beliefs.

Even when Askeladd tells him he's got a good reason to fight he turns that around "Well so does Snake."

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo Vinland Saga was heartbreaking this time around. Wonderful wonderful chapter. IIRC Throfinn isn't quite free yet, neither is Enir and no way Arneis will ever be free. Will they have to suffer punishment for what they just tried to do?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rakugoon posted:

Yeah but he also killed everyone in between.

Glad to see Vinland Saga going back to it's roots. :black101:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh snap, I forgot all about Canute. Every now and then I re-read the entire collection to refresh on what's been going on since it updates only once a month. I guess it's time to do it all over again.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Doesn't the rest of this post count as a spoiler?

I don't think so for two reasons. 1) The chapter is out. Yeah a bit of a dick move to talk about events right under it but that brings me to point two

2) Nothing is really said. "Arneis dodged some bullets" isn't really a spoiler. Nothing is explained, nothing is described. It's a vague statement about the events in the chapter.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RipVTide posted:

Oh come on. The suspense is killing me here, would they get on with it already?!

That shot of them looking right over the empty waters before the ships are spotted was chilling.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Link for those of you who, like me, don't feel like downloading it

http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/90

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That is such a brutal strategy Thorgil set up. :ohdear:

Also why did they have to stop the cart because she woke up? Keep moving, you fools!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JosephWongKS posted:

It's been more than 50 chapters since the last major battle in the series (Thorkell's army vs Askeladd vs Askeladd's deserters, between Chapter 33 to Chapter 37). I've forgotten how much I missed it, so fantastic has been the quality of Farming Saga.

It's a real great testament to the writing of Vinland Saga that the comic can be extremely entertaining even when they aren't fighting.

I personally found Canutes political movings to seize land to be one of the best moments I've read in this comic.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tonberrytoby posted:

drat it! These guys look like they're having the time of their lives.

Best line ever.

Canute's competent but not great fighting makes him more sympathetic to me than all those badasses.

Yeah I would have bet my bottom dollar that one of his guards was going to save him. Never actually expected him to block it himself.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

Either way, we're almost at a crossroads, only 8 of 100 punches away, at the end of this chapter. God drat am I not interested in watching a guy get beaten to prove his determination. That's... never remotely interesting.

Yeah I'm hoping it doesn't go on for like two or three issues.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

I didn't realize Thorkell the Tall was a real person until I read the Wikipedia article on Canute (actually spelled Cnut, haha).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorkell_the_Tall

I've always described Vinland Saga as "What the Dynasty Warriors game would be like if it was made into a comic and was about vikings instead" I think even Thorfinn is based on a real person. So is Leif if I remember correctly.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The last page is pure gold.

"Next time: Thorfinn finally gets on a loving boat"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Series really sucked while they were on the farm so I'm glad they switched to this adventure comedy. I do miss the political side of the comic. Askeladd setting up Canute to take over the throne was just as exciting as Thorfinns fight with Thorkell

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I hope Thorfinn just does a cool pose and riddles her with throwing knives

This won't happen. Thorfinn now is pretty set on pacifism and considering she's got a legit complaint against him. If there's a fight it'll be him disarming her and trying to calm her down.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Motherfucker posted:

Did the manga ever get back to the killing and stuff?

Ish. like there was that time the army invaded the farms and then not to mention this little fight scene we just had. Speaking of which Hild is a bad rear end.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there another link for Vinland Saga? The one posted is no longer working.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Finally caught up on the last two chapters. I'm hoping we'll get to see more of this Chiefton chair is open plot and it's not just an excuse to have a chase scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Strong chapter. I guess the concern that we wouldn't see any more combat might have been premature, depending on how this plot plays out.

I'm not worried about lack of combat mainly because with the sole exception of Farmland Saga, the writer has shown he can do tense and interesting social scenes. Also Thorfinns commitment to pacifism would be run into the ground if it was challenged every other issue.