Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Vinland Saga! http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/74

Escaped Slave, new tragic antagonist/mentor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Askeladd :swoon:. And we better have some Swedish Kung-fu next chapter.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Baltzar :woop:

http://www.mangareader.net/gunka-no-baltzar/11

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gardar... :smith: That's probably the saddest chapter yet, even with all the horrible stuff that happened before. Poor guy died with the illusion he could save his family.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Oh yes that makes sense. I went for Russia since that's where my mind goes when I think of European Empresses, but that works much better.

I assumed Russia as well, but it was because of the soldier's uniforms.

Also god, Vinland Saga is getting more :smith: by the moment.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vinland Saga 88

Well, things sure got unsettling for a bit :stare:. Arneis dodged a few bullets, but still...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I was trying to be as vague as possible to avoid this kind of debate, but i guess it can't be helped. :frogbon:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Baltzar

Lotta political manuevers just to build a railway.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Snake is such a cool dude. I'm going to be really sad when he gets killed horribly by Canute's men.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Arneis... Well, might be better if she goes now and stays with Garard and their children.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Gunka no Baltzar. Read that while listening to Queen's "Bicycle Race".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

By now it looks like they are following history as closely as Valkyria Chronicles did.

Still a fun story with nice characters.

I like how the mangaka justified using more modern trains than the ones commonly used on that time because they looked too cute. It's true, though, early locomotives are pretty silly-looking and unimposing. See the Adler, Germany's first train:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Really incredible chapter, it managed to deal very well with the concept of maturity and decisions. Canute reluctantly keeping his own decisions, Orman growing up by realizing his previous one was wrong and changing it and Thorfinn... Well, he'll do something?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

YouTuber posted:

The Emperors of the HRE were so loving weak compared to the Emperors of the Roman Empire, East or West. Just imagine how someone like Constantine V would react to being excommunicated. gently caress... the guy hated the church structure so much he forced Monks and Nuns to marry.

That's the problem with being an Elective Monarchy, yep. It makes the Monarch completely dependant on the Nobles and Bishops that make part of the Elective Council.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

... B-But it's the best succession system in Crusader Kings 2!! :qq:

Not for me, fucker vassals kept choosing people other than my designated heir! :argh:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Speaking of Baltzar, I started reading Stratocracy of Altair recently, and they are pretty similar, although with the Ottoman Empire instead of Germany. It's a really cool manga too, and I recommend people to read it!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I recently read Green Blood which is a manga featuring a hitman in 5 points (notorious mid19th century slum in NYC), who eventually goes west to track down and kill his evil father.

I liked it, are there another manga's set in the American West I should know about?

There is Blaster Knuckle, which is pretty short and basically Django Unleashed before Django Unleashed (and also if Django killed KKK Vampires with his shotgun gauntlets).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:siren: New Stratocracy of Altair :siren:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Stratocracy of Altair, this time introducing Transwitzerlania. I really like the tiny details that make each of the countries so unique.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

swamp izzo posted:

Mercenary Pierre was excellent. The ending fell a bit flat though.

It kinda makes sense to be uneventful, Pierre would either end as a guy forever on the battlefield, a corpse or a family man. It's straight fare for most of the military/mercenary commanders who became famous on the 100 year War (except for Gilles de Rais who became a old gods cultist pedophile murderer). Great series still, wish there were more by the author.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Gunka no Balzar

Hahahahha oh my god I never thought they'd actually take on the biggest threat to the military since the dawn of time... VDs contracted from prostitutes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The Carthaginians being a bunch of white guys is pretty off-putting.

Well, Carthage was founded by Phoenicians, which were Semitic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wolfsmund recently stopped being the "Villain magistrate outmanuevers the likable characters and has them killed horribly" and now is about the battle of Morgarten;

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jackard posted:

Do you have to read any of the former to get to the latter, because the former is irredeemable horseshit

He gets brutally impaled from his rear end to mouth with a stake so it's like suffering before extreme satisfaction.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait, I thought barbed wire+machine guns were deployed only during early 20th century? Still, a chilling preview of WW1 tactics I guess.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 26, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

About the part about the cycle of revenge being a thing on Norse society... Wasn't there the Weregild (blood money, where a murderer has to pay/become a slave of the murdered's family) at the time?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

its weird bc i don't remember that happening on parasyte but then again those WERE released volumes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Baltzer

Frickin Commies!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gyges posted:

At least Thorfinn held up better than Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris Fact: Bears are dogs that licked Chuck Norris' sweat.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Ad Astra y'all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thorfinn might want to run away from his past but the past catches up.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hell loving yeah new Kingdom

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Ad Astra

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Is Thor Finn off the farm yet???!????

Since last year Pewds

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i forgot how much kid thorfinn was a nihilist prick

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Askeladd is the best character in the series by a country mile.

Thorkell is a close second fursonally.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crossbae

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Track record of people who got full flashback stories in Vinland Saga:

1. Thors - Died

2. Askeladd - Died

The slave lady who died too

Plutonis