Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Remember the last time a cool bloody series got animated? They called it Berserk and they hosed up the start and stopped making episodes for it..

I'd much rather this sit in obscurity for a while until it's done.

The berserk anime is pretty amazing and even with that terrible cliff hanger ending it still wraps in a kind of neat way, plus all the supernatural faggotry and epic non endingness of the manga wasn't highlighted by it.

(I want the manga to end so the series doesn't cut off when the author dies and also I like resolution woop.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Motorball posted:

I feel pretty sure that Askeladd's gonna be killed by Thorfinn eventually at this point.

Uh well yeah. Did you need to spoiler that?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

varo posted:

New chapter's out on mangatraders.

HOLY FUCKKKKKK. I wish I could get this series a volume at a time :c

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hahaha oh man I was all ready to see some buff superman looking mother loving thorrfin lumberjackin trees. He looks like a loving hippy with an axe haha.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

Besides, he looks quite a bit like Thors now!

...a corpse? :zombie:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tualek posted:

Too bad the manga is based upon him slaying bitches.

Well it's pretty loving obvious it'll be back to that in a few chapters.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Volume posted:

it was like Naruto but with out the gay.

God couldn't you have thought of a better manga to compare this with :gonk:

I say berserk without demons.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 7, 2009

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yaaaase. Perfect.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

Chapter 60.

http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/60/01/

Oh god this better not turn into a yaoi series.

They bros. Bros aint gay.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

Chapter 61 is out. Despite having no real fighting, it was much more interesting than the past few chapters.

Hey you linked the last page of the chapter you goober.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

So has Canute lost his philosophy to greed or is it a front...?

It also may be an excuse to continue blood shed like thorkill wanted.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

Still one of my favorite manga. I do like that they've cut back to Canute- his story promises to be quite interesting still.

Nah, as the whole 'Oh yeah, kill all those looters as an example' bit showed, he's still got his Christian idealism firmly in mind, but he's no longer afraid to do whatever it takes to reach his goal. His reaction at the end of this chapter is doubtlessly because no amount would make him withdraw his forces- he's there to take Mercia, not some petty bribe.

Yeah I'm guessing this is it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Goddamn, that's the best name for a chapter I ever saw.

need a horse.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love the Need a Horse Saga. It's somehow calming -_-

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Volume posted:

You'll hear no arguments from me here. The farming wouldn't be a big deal for me if I didn't have to wait 2 months to get to the next issue of Vinland Saga 65: Need a plow.

Hey y'all got it easy. Waiting for new chapters about farming might be rough, but i started this bastard when chapter 1 came out, and waiting for the second half to a fight is even worse :| I was just happy that I forgot about it for like a year and had a bunch to catch up on

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Vire posted:

I just looked back at the beginning of the manga to now the later chapters and the art has gotten insanely detailed compared to the start. I honestly don't know how he gets those chapters done in a month with the amount of detail and crosshatching he dose it's ridiculous. I mean it would take me 4 hours just to trace one panel let alone the whole page.

To be fair I'm sure there's a few assistants working on the details.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hopfully the author is just a bit behind and wanted to give historie some lovin.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zarf posted:

Sorry for getting your hopes up with the bump, but in case you're interested, Volume 9 consists of existing chapters, and it seems he missed the deadline to get 65 in this months issue of 'Afternoon' (released 25th June).
Looks like we've got another month to go, I'm hoping we get two chapters then (but wouldn't put money on it).

Monthly manga is the best reason for cryogenics I can think of.

I h-h-hate you. :(

Oh well, time to pretend it doesn't exist for another month

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

nerdz posted:

i dont think even yokohama kaidashi kikko managed to make such an anticlimactic last page.

If you don't like this or YKK then sorry bro you're broken go read some narutos

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

unprofessional posted:

I honestly love it. I find the story to be like a wonderful novel.

This is my point, there is no irony I jsut wish there were MORE so I could read more. The only problem with the farm stuff, up until recently was that it was SHORT farm stuff updated sporadically.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

Somehow I get the feeling that Thorfinn is going to hulk out to save those kids, even though they're thieves, and that'll be the thing that gets him moving out of the farm.

Since when did thorfin give two shits about kids?

It seems more like the master has a problem with the kids being punished. He seems kind of perturbed by the whole thing when they are presented to him at the end there.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Awww gently caress the next chapter isn't out til the end of march :cry:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

logger posted:

I can't wait till then to read more pacifist saga.

I hope it's pacifist saga that actually can accomplish something, anything, without violence, unlike gundam pacifists, who only gently caress things up for other people.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Emma is amazing and I end up rereading the whole thing maybe once or twice a year. The series is pretty decent too but I much prefer the manga, simply because it's easier to blow through now that I've watched it already, plus the series leaves out a whole bunch.

I liked what I read about Mori's new work, but it wasn't far along when I did so I'm gonna wait on that one for a awhile before trying to five back in. Interesting if a little creepy what with arranged marriages between rocking gal and like a 12 year old boy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh trust me I understand why it's in there, and i'm not saying she should change it or have done it differently. Just an outsider looking in perspective, I guess.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Robo Pope posted:

Yeah, the art in it is so beautiful and the story is so chill and an interesting look at another culture, I find myself really looking forward to the next chapter.

It reminds my of YKK in a lot of ways. I'm taking a break for a while since I plow through chapters so quickly since it's such a an easy breezy read.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

"Oh hey, good work guys. You've almost got your freedom, I'm just going to step out for a bit and give it to you when I get back. Shouldn't be an issue."
Well that guy's never coming back.

I'm sure our characters are going to leave the farm one way or another soon, but if they were really going to get their freedom from their benevolent master for their hard work, they'd just get it. They wouldn't be told about it and given time to consider how that would play out if it was actually going to happen that way.

Yeah, unless he plans to play with it a little to subvert the trope, that guy is fuckin dead. Not to mention, the old man and the master are both going to be gone it looks like, so maybe a less kind slave owner will take over..?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Roommate and I marathoned through all of "Victorian Romance Emma" last night. i'd watched the first season and read through the manga like 3 times, but I was unaware the second season had an 'anime original end". It wasn't awful, but when I read things like "it was originally supposed to have 3 seasons" it sort of bums me out because there was so much better material in the manga. Way more subdued and less forced. Adding in a 'we have to gather money to save the Jones company!' subplot and making Emma a wavering character at the end was almost straight out of some bullshit american romcom movie. Things wrapped up a little too easily and everyone was suddenly WAY too supportive out of no where when none of the other problems actually went away (like for instance, marrying a maid being a really hard path for both the gentry and the woman.) They made it out like Emma wasn't sure if she wanted to be with Will, when it's waaaaay more about being uncomfortable in the spotlight.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Lotta people judging an ancient barbarian by modern standards of morality, ITT. Hell, Thorfinn has probably racked up ten times the bodycount that Gardar managed to, and I don't recall people not caring about what happened to him.

Presentation counts.

It's sad but because of the slave wife and how it affects her, not because he was some great dude. Not to mention he clearly loves her and his dead son, and wanted to fix things for them, at least. Plus, given his addled broken mind, it hard not to feel bad about the whole situation, even if you don't think his death is the worst thing in the world.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sooo I decide to go back and read vinland saga from the start, since it's been since the start of the manga sinceI first read it.

First coupla chapters got some super interesting / ironic stuff about slaves courtesy of mr farm man.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Where'd you find it?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would kill for a japanese take on the civil war, though not a 'japanese' take. Intricately penciled beards... goddamnit why hasn't this happened.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

To be fair, next chapter is 100 so it must be very tempting to go "done!"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Vedius Pollio posted:

Having followed this thread for awhile, I'm really sad that there's never been any more updates for Hishintan - Vita Arcana. I was really digging this manga and its Caligula-esque vibe, because the Late Roman Empire is the craziest best Roman Empire.

What a tease; to just learn of this and it's already stopped updating. It's gorgeous.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

That was adorable I wonder how much Thorfinn is going to reveal of what he went through. I mean, his current course of action aside, the dude has killed easily hundreds of people.

Not sure that would bother too many people his combat would probably be less alien than his new pacifism. I have a feeling his mom will say he's taking after his father and his sister will call him a coward

good chapter but felt a little short wanna read so much about this reunion :<

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 23, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

"WAIT, HOW OLD AM I NOW?"

I love this manga.

It's very very good. I'm both proud and loving sad I started it when it had like 3 chapters out cuz gently caress it'd be nice to have a monsterous complete series to read instead of chapter by chapter for 5 + years

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I recently found the first volume at the library (hardcover, it's really nice), because apparently VS actually got licensed at some point, and read a bit of that. MAN you forget after years and years of serialization how some of that early stuff really comes around, like how the whole "a true warrior needs no swords" thing was something Thors said.

Or this little gem.

Yeah, I just read back through it last month or so. It really incredible. Monthly the farm arc feels long but it passes like a flash.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dilettante. posted:

The raw for the latest Vinland is out, now we just have to wait for hox the '4chan' scanlator to do his thing.

so did this ever get translated or are we waiting still?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yes we des

AnonSpore posted:

Hox is putting everything else he's working on on hiatus until he's done with Ashita no Joe if I remember right.

We desperately need resolution on ashita no joe.

Wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It looks like that one fat dude on the left got copy pasted like 3 times the hell