Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

After how brutal the end of farm arc was I'm ore than happy to see some hijinks. That said, this chapter was pretty anemic in terms of anything happening. Hijinks are harsh in a monthly release.

(Everything with thorfinn and his sister has been adorable though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

German Joey posted:

"UGHHH, this is truely something aweful... Why the gently caress did they have to put so much gaddamn ANIME in this here MANGA ??!!?!?" - an actual, literal, and even common complaint by Goons.

Yeah it's kinda stupid. It's got a few shounen tropes early but I mean, it's not in a highschool, it's not in japan, there aren't any harems, no giant robots, no super moves

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's great. It's gorgeous, and the characters are very endearing. It's also tones better than the weird rear end second season of the anime crapped out to be.

Will it be the FULL full manga? I know that the final few chapters original showed up after the manga 'finished'

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The music was relaxing. Honestly it would be just about impossible to keep up with the detail. More than anything the fact that they rewrote the second season almost entirely was a bigger disappointment.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Barbed wire was first used extensively in the Spanish American War in combat, and the Boer war for use in concentration camps IIRC

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Yes, the American Civil War was basically a dress rehearsal for World War I, unfortunately no one paid attention and they forgot all their lines.

Hahaha oh America. Eradicating life in previously unheard of numbers 50 years before the full mechanization of the War meat grinder, and between our goddamn selves too. Trend settaz~

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That looks like one of his assistants quit with a deadline looming, lol

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Biomega and blame is retard eyes all the way down.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Volume posted:

I doubt thorfinn will destroy floki. It'd be out of character at this point. As for hild? She might put a bolt or two in him.

He said thorkell not thorfinn. Lotsa thors, unsurprisingly.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

Garm will join the crew.

noooooo

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Garm is irritating but I have the hope that it's purposeful and will pay off; VS has been really well written throughout and I'm super psyched to see how this plays out

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I used to read Vinland but it would update so rarely and inconsistently I dropped it around the time time the king showed up on the farm while Thorfinn was escaping(?). I got the feeling it was near the end then.

It updates monthly. I just watch this thread for releases.

Its basically the only manga i follow as it comes out

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

Featuring "Going to Retire After Two More Days" old man for four pages.

Hahaha

The most extreme ' 1 more day til retirement'

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's very good, and it comes at it from an interesting angle while the subject matter might not be entirely novel (pacifism coming up in shounen is not unique, but the character development to reach that point is really great).

That said, I can see why people could be turned away for the legitimate reason that monthly is a rough time frame to follow something. I ended up taking breaks repeatedly during farmland saga just to have a lot of material to catch up with (as an aside, I manged to do this with vinland saga when it first came out: there first two chapters were up on manga updates or something and I was like "wow this is really good there is no way I'm gonna do this for a chapter at a time into infinity" and ended up ignoring it for about a year or two until there was a significant backlog.)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I read Vinland Saga to just before the end of the farm arc before and dropped it because it was super slow releasing and sporadic back then. I had assumed that was the end of it but then I posted this in this thread a while back and found out it was actually still ongoing! I'm planning to read it again soon and read Thors Vs Askeladd chapters again and it's so good. IIRC no one nearly as strong as Thors ever showed up again so those chapters always stood out to me.

Its release schedule has always been very consistent, as far as I recall. Its a monthly and has been from the beginning. There’ve been few short chapters here and there but it’s pretty unusual.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I recall it being monthly for the entire run, which is not quite true. I was mostly correct:

quote:

Vinland Saga began serialization in April 2005 in Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine, where it ran until October of the same year. It then went on a two-month hiatus, resuming serialization late December 2005 in the monthly seinen magazine Afternoon, also owned by Kodansha. This switch was caused by author Makoto Yukimura, who found he could not keep up a long-term weekly production schedule.[1]

So for 12 years monthly, with 6ish months weekly when it first started.

I started reading VS as soon as it came out, when manga scanner (I think?) put out their scanlation. It was very very good (I think there were 2 or 3 chapters they released at once) so I put it down for a very long time because I didn't want to wait for releases, which is kinda ironic given it must have been weekly at that time and not long after, in japan anyway. There may have been some instances where the translation fell behind and english releases were week to week in catch up or longer gaps during busy times, but for the last several years it's been very very solid to my recollection, especially through farmland saga. Were you following it through a specific reader site that didn't get the updates timely, maybe? I've been following it through this thread for years now and the reader site changes often, including the odd 4chan sourced chapter (which I think happened more often around farmland saga)

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 5, 2017

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think WIT has the experience now, and they've done a mostly great job on AoT. I do worry about the less action focused arcs; I think the quality will be very dependent on the director.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

poo poo, that was a short one.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

That's a really interesting business model. I wonder how popular a series needs to be in the English-speaking world to be worth translating through Patreon proceeds.

Guy is already making 500 USD a month, so it's worth something at least. Jin was pretty popular on kissmanga but IDK what sorta numbers that represents.

I'm curious what getting that money directly (presumably with a cut of it going to whomever is translating it) means to a creator versus an official license. Like, does that even translate to an increase in income. Maybe a bonus?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It... hasn’t started yet?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It looks like the first THREE eps of Vinland saga are on prime video now :o

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just as a heads up, rape and pillage is a thing that gets addressed in the Manga so if they are sensitive to that sort of content I’d give a heads up.

Obviously I dunno how that’ll be broached in the anime, but things were pretty gnarly (early manga spoilers) when thorfinn is traveling with askeladd and his band .

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I was authentically surprised they dropped 3 eps at once. I've only watched the first 2 eps, but I'm guessing the third puts us on track with the beginning of the manga / Thorfin as a teen.

Given what I've heard of Wit's production issues I wonder how much of this is in the bag already. What's it airing like in Japan? Is it Amazon exclusive or what?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh ffs what was the point of dropping them all at once then.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Is that the same thing with jojo?

It’s just a bad idea to throw them out there with no additional info. People are def coming back for THE FINALE of part 5, but for a new show like Vinland it could really cut the legs out from under either their viewership numbers when there are no eps for two weeks in a row without a “continued 7/28!” or something.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I mean... that's usually called filler, so I'm not sure how to feel. The only time I've really appreciated it has been with David Studio and jojo.

I keep current on Vinland and love it dearly. It just seems like a misstep to not either air those episode one at a time, week to week or release the three a couple weeks later so regular eps are out after, like hulu does.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Where is this information coming from (blog twitter what?)

If it’s rejiggering certain elements like they did in AoT for clarity at the authors behest that’s all well and good.

But let’s none of us forget that “directors cut” type material can be exceptionally lovely too.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

archduke.iago posted:

Medical proto-isekai Jin has been completely translated. If you go to the author's patreon and toss him 5bux you'll get to read it all.

https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami/

Oh gently caress really??? I was stuck on the bit fantranslated that stopped updating in like 2017. I’m getting on this poo poo tonight.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Plutonis posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/38821

Follow this manga.

-Obscure Chinese/Indian relation History
-Incredibly good art
-WRITTEN BY TANAKA "LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES AND HEROIC LEGEND OF ARSLAN" YOSHIKI

Is the manga arslan better than the anime arslan cuz that poo poo sucked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Lol mappa took Vinland saga from wit too?

I’m concerned how a lot of studios might approach farmland saga but mappa has been on a roll for several years so I’m mega stoked.