Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari 64 is a short one this month. Let's learn about birds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Vinland Saga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Chapter-141?id=375618

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Garm ftw.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Thorkell, I'm disappointed, you are getting too old for this poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
thorkell is a fraud

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I guess even Thorkell softens up in his old age.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Honestly, the biggest badass in that fight was the random guy who walked between Thorkell and Garm and shouted "it's a draw!" I can't believe that actually worked.

I still don't like Garm, but his line about the best thing in the world being a death match made him come off like an obsessive otaku or fetishist or something. He's... kind of pathetic. Which is more interesting than him being a dumb plot device and contrived antagonist which was his previous status in my mind.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Eiba posted:

Honestly, the biggest badass in that fight was the random guy who walked between Thorkell and Garm and shouted "it's a draw!" I can't believe that actually worked.

I'm pretty sure that's not a rando at all and is in fact like, Thorkell's right hand from back in Britain, but I'd have to check.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

I still don't like Garm, but his line about the best thing in the world being a death match made him come off like an obsessive otaku or fetishist or something. He's... kind of pathetic. Which is more interesting than him being a dumb plot device and contrived antagonist which was his previous status in my mind.

I think garm just represents the norsemen warrior culture taken to its natural conclusion: a nihilistic death hungry killer.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
there isn't a Kingdom thread is there? New chapter. I've been gradually falling out of my love for it that started early on, but it's still a decent fun action war manga. I just find myself rootin against Shin and Qin nowadays. Shin doesn't feel like an interesting character anymore, there was a lot that seemed personal to his character in the early days but now he's just Strong Loyal Commander Man. Think about your dead friend once or something, man? C'mon! You can't just be this empty avatar of Qin Will. I guess he is though.
wolf guys seem fun, but can anyone imagine a scenario where they kill Otonwa (sp??) or destroy the Qin army they're fighting? I'd love it if that happened, everything just seems so inevitable these days. We need some reversals

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I used to read Vinland but it would update so rarely and inconsistently I dropped it around the time time the king showed up on the farm while Thorfinn was escaping(?). I got the feeling it was near the end then.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
That was the end ...
Of act 1.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Haha yeah, vinland saga legitimately feels about one quarter done. You almost got to the end of Farmland Saga, we're at the beginning of Businessman Saga now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What the hell happened to Ad Astra, Hannibal and Scipio or whatever? That one was just getting to some good parts and vanished.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I used to read Vinland but it would update so rarely and inconsistently I dropped it around the time time the king showed up on the farm while Thorfinn was escaping(?). I got the feeling it was near the end then.

It updates monthly. I just watch this thread for releases.

Its basically the only manga i follow as it comes out

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DamnGlitch posted:

It updates monthly. I just watch this thread for releases.

Its basically the only manga i follow as it comes out

Same but I don't blame anyone for dropping it during farmland saga but it quickly picks up once it gets past that

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Same but I don't blame anyone for dropping it during farmland saga but it quickly picks up once it gets past that

I do

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The payoff for farmland saga is so good though

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Farming was infinitely better than any of kid Thorfinn to be honest, that span had other good characters but he got intolerable real quick.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
If you dropped it during Farmland Saga then you don't deserve Vinland Saga

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Farmland Saga is when Vinland Saga truly became a great manga. It wasn't meaningfully different from your dime-a-dozen ultra bloody historical seinen before, just Hero but in northern europe.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Whats the deal with Historie? when was the last time it updated? Has it been abandoned?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Historie still updates, just at its usual snails pace

what appears to have vanished into the ether on the other hand is Vagabond, which apparently hasn't updated since 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Chapter-142?id=379804

Featuring "Going to Retire After Two More Days" old man for four pages.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

That was the end ...
Of act 1.

Holy poo poo for real? Is it still thorfinn after farmland?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

EmmyOk posted:

Holy poo poo for real? Is it still thorfinn after farmland?

Yep. He's the guy who goes to Vinland in the Saga so they can't exactly switch protagonists.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Has it been done by VIZ yet?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

Hahaha

The most extreme ' 1 more day til retirement'

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Chapter-142?id=379804

I saw it coming and I loved it

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

Has it been done by VIZ yet?

The Viz editions are well past the farmland saga. They're pretty close to where the series is now actually.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I saw it coming and I loved it

Not merely flagged but paraded as well.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Pierson posted:

Golden Kamui fuckin' rules.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

Farmland Saga is when Vinland Saga truly became a great manga. It wasn't meaningfully different from your dime-a-dozen ultra bloody historical seinen before, just Hero but in northern europe.

Yeah, Farmland Saga is where you start digging into themes around leadership, pacifism, and masculinity that you very rarely see in this sort of manga.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's very good, and it comes at it from an interesting angle while the subject matter might not be entirely novel (pacifism coming up in shounen is not unique, but the character development to reach that point is really great).

That said, I can see why people could be turned away for the legitimate reason that monthly is a rough time frame to follow something. I ended up taking breaks repeatedly during farmland saga just to have a lot of material to catch up with (as an aside, I manged to do this with vinland saga when it first came out: there first two chapters were up on manga updates or something and I was like "wow this is really good there is no way I'm gonna do this for a chapter at a time into infinity" and ended up ignoring it for about a year or two until there was a significant backlog.)

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I think the issue is that it became monthly around when its pacing slowed down, didn't it? That would make things feel much worse just by contrast alone.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

What's he doing to that bear?

DamnGlitch posted:

It's very good, and it comes at it from an interesting angle while the subject matter might not be entirely novel (pacifism coming up in shounen is not unique, but the character development to reach that point is really great).
I like the pacifism in Vinland saga because thorfinn is sticking to it no matter what. Even when faced with that spear dude I feel that any other manga would have been all "well guess I have no choice but to fight" and thorfinn was like "nope, I'mma run!"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

What's he doing to that bear?

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/Lm503hI.jpg :nws:

Golden Kamui is a treasure :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CrashScreen posted:

I think the issue is that it became monthly around when its pacing slowed down, didn't it? That would make things feel much worse just by contrast alone.

It went monthly waaaaaaaay before Farmland Saga. Like it was only in a weekly shonen magazine for 6 months before switching over to a monthly seinen.

To me, Farmland Saga came at a perfect time. Right before it started, you had Askeladd killing the king and like 50 bodyguards, which both released the main tension of the series (Thorfinn wanting to kill Askeladd) and made the whole combat-focused aspect seem ridiculous and dumb. It wrapped up basically every plot thread, and left the series with a blank slate to do something new and interesting.

So I enjoyed it month-to-month. There was less action, but it was way less predictable.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mikl posted:

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/Lm503hI.jpg :nws:

Golden Kamui is a treasure :allears:

Oh man I was really hoping it was a case of bad art work and lack of context but nope. I might have to read this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Oh man I was really hoping it was a case of bad art work and lack of context but nope. I might have to read this

Golden Kamui is one of the best ongoing manga out there, everyone here should read it.