Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

It looks like that one fat dude on the left got copy pasted like 3 times the hell

If you look closely, they just look similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
By the way, those who haven't been picking them up: the Otoyomegatari and Vinland Saga hardcovers that are being released in the US are fantastic and really worth it.

Vinland Saga volume 1
Bride's Story volume 1

e: hahahahaha oh god I clicked the negative reviews on Bride's Story

quote:

Disappointed - This book has cartoons. I didn't realize this book was for children when I bought it. Nothing in the description given implies anything other than it is for adults. Or, if it did, I missed it.

quote:

It was fine., - It could have a rating printed on the book jacket. When I checked out from the library there was no rating. Most manga either has a rating on the hardcover jacket or on the back cover. I loved the story line but given the brief scene, I prefer that there was a rating on the back of the book jacket or somewhere inside the new volume. It was researched thoughly and the artwork was very good. I still wouldn't recommend it for my cousin. She just wouldn't undertstand the customs of the characters in it. I loved Amir.

???

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 24, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Van Dine posted:

I agree, those hardcover copies of the manga are lovely. The paper is good quality.

The series seems to have confused more than one person on Amazon into thinking it's not a comic. One review for vol.4 is just as odd. (Why would someone buy the fourth volume in a series without checking what type it is?)

Oh grandma.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I still hold the glimmer of hope that Thorkell will show up to join Thorfinn for "whoops, Thorkell went and killed all the bad guys again" "Thorkelllllll" "whoops"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
For those not aware, because it's not extremely obvious, the Vinland Saga hardcovers available in the US are actually omnibuses; they cover pretty massive swaths of the manga. The second volume ends just as they steal the Winter quarters. Presumably the third volume will end at the beginning of Thorfinn's enslavement.

Definitely worth a buy for re-reads etc.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well I guess that's Thorfinn's love interest :geno:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Not to mention this is in the midst of heavy Christianization.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Vinland Saga is only REALLY shounen-y in the first few chapters though, it bucks it quick even in the midst of Thorfinn's Knife Adventures what since his first adventure in England is "I got a whole bunch of people murdered!!!"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
To be fair, that was my first reaction when he transitioned into Farm saga too in terms of his looks. Part of it is that his eyes are so much more bright, which is nice.

e: I have to wonder how weird it is for Thorfinn's friends and family to get involved with him in high volatile situations that, even though he's a pacifist now, he's competent and experienced enough to probably take on basically anyone on the island. I mean, these are local militias that have never seen action, while Thorfinn lived on the battlefield for over a decade.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 29, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The volume 3 Vinland Saga omnibus is out in the US, and it's pretty great. Volumes 1-3 cover all the way up to the end of Thorfinn & Askeladd's last fight and Canute's resolution to kill Sweyn and take over the kingdom.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hahahaha Thorfinn 2 pointing to his face at the end "WHAT ABOUT ME, ALSO THORFIN??"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

So is Halfdan's plan to link up the Thors clan with his via marriage or just to get their sweet, sweet land?

Thing is I don't think the Thors clan necessarily has that much land? And it's not even Thorfinn's land to offer either, he certainly had no part in it.

Halfdan seems to have chilled out somewhat from when we met him in the prologue, that's for sure. Dude seemed outright sinister then, now he's kind of "eh, whatever".

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Well, he is the eldest living male in the family so if the culture there is anything like it was in many others, he's head of the family in name at least.

True, but I don't think Thorfinn is going to play that ball.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

Is Thorffin's sister married or not?

She's married to that one kid who had a crush on her before Thorfinn snuck onto the boat.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure he's going to fail, but hey, not like it's an actual contest. Canute is going to fail too. That's the reality of human mortal ambitions: the sheer unpredictability and immensity of the world that no man can truly command or change its nature. Still, that doesn't mean Thorfinn necessarily will have an unhappy end.

Heck, it's a fact that his descendents certainly make it back to Iceland

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Silly Voodoo posted:

I just started reading A Bride's Story after hearing all the praise it's gotten, but it's pretty hard to ignore the inherent creepiness in a 12 year old and a 20 year old being married. Does it get better later?

If you don't find the cultural differences interesting early on and can't relate to the narrative with its very different culture, it's probably not for you, no. It's a work about a very different time and place and peoples. There's a lot of that.

Personally I find it fascinating for all those reasons (the fact that it's about such a different culture and time without making it overly anime, with the sheer amount of time and research put into it).

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's literally a comic about marriage practices in the Central Asia in the late 19th century, and is devoid of weird fetish crap. I don't think going "Hey, it's a comic about an era and place that is different from ours" is particularly astounding. The comic in question is milquetoast overwhelming in terms of anything controversial.

Thanks for derailing this thread over something as inane as that.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 28, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Mongolian culture is super cool and I highly recommend reading about it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pinegala posted:

Got any recommendations for books on this?

It's not directly about Mongolian culture, but Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World is good and interesting. Gives you some interesting insight on just how unique the steppes tribes were compared to agricultural societies of the times, and how their martial ability was directly tied to just how distinct their culture was.

For example, the Mongolians in the time of Temujin had a complete aversion to blood being spilt / seeing or being close enough to someone to get their blood on you. So they basically went out of their way to innovate approaches to warfare that allowed them to kill people without having to enter into any sort of melee, and emphasized things like horseback archery etc. Another interesting part of this was that the most dignified way for someone to die, then, was bloodlessly. As such, the most respectful way to execute someone was to shatter their spine / break their neck.

The Mongolians being the exception to basically everything written about cultures / civilizations is kind of a running joke/

Zorak fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 1, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well, I mean, there's probably a reason for that. It's hard to paint Genghis Khan as anything other than one of the greatest butchers in human history, unless you're really nationalist Mongolian or a revisionist historian.

Dude killed an awful lot of people, yes. On the other hand: so did Julius Caeser, Alexander the Great, and any other number of ancient imperialists. They are definitely butchers, but that doesn't mean a degree of historical perspective isn't apropos.

You may call it "revisionist", but one of the interesting things that's been uncovered is that a lot of the worst stories about the Mongol's cruelty in the time of Genghis were actually propaganda created and spread by the Mongols themselves as an attempt to intimidate those they were besieging, which were often a lot of the most vivid stories that passed into modern history.

e: Plus the Mongols do have more history than just Genghis and his legacy :v:

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 2, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

YouTuber posted:

Uh this is totally false and there was shitloads of fighting back and forth between the tribes. It could easily be described as complete anarchy based on might makes right.

This doesn't really go against their cultural practices at all? The reason why abductions were frequent was in part because it was often deemed simpler to just abandon all the livestock and women if a raid was expected. They murdered tons of people and were horrible, yes.

YouTuber posted:

gently caress he outright decapitated his brother just in front of his Mother who called him "a destroyer"

No? His younger full-blood brother shot his older half brother to death with a bow, then they ran away and left him bleeding to death. She immediately found out and did the whole speech yes, and it resulted in him being captured and put to slavery for an extended period by one of the local noble families.

Though again, the primary source for most of Genghis' personal life is the "Secret History", which is probably mostly bullshit.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 3, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Awww yeah, let's go to loving Greece. Let's loving do this Yukimura, let's make this happen.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Selling fake medicine is only marginally better than violence as a solution to your problems

Almost all medicine during the time was fake medicine, even when they didn't know it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I do not see how Historie is going to get anywhere before the author dies. The rate of release is nowhere keeping pace with how long the story they appear to be attempting to tell is, unless the author uses judicious time skips.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow got himself stabbed by accidentally knocking the knife out. He is kind of a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

coathat posted:

Good news ! Emma is getting rerelased by yen press as 2 in 1 hardcovers.

I've never actually read Emma despite digging Bride's Story a lot; is it worth picking up? I do love me some hardcovers...