Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Side note: I'm about 2/3 of the way through the Handbook (not counting the appendices and such)
i have not read the entire handbook and i can safely say that all (but 1) of my friends that use freebsd are in the same boat
when i encounter a problem/something new i look there first and then google
im not the reading type so maybe that explains my sheer amazement that someone would want to read the entire handbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

pkg_delete -f * I think is what I do to dump everything before an upgrade. Might need to run it a few times in case stuff doesn't want to uninstall because of dependencies.
man pkg_delete

-a Unconditionally delete all currently installed packages.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Seriously though, when did that bit of niftiness happen? OpenBSD's pkg_delete doesn't seem to have it.
oh, not too long ago at all

Mon Mar 5 11:11:30 2001 UTC (7 years, 1 month ago) by sobomax

sadly, openbsd is a bit rough around the edges after using freebsd for long

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

spoon daddy posted:

Can anyone give me details or point me in the right direction of setting up a wireless card as an access point in OpenBSD?
if its like freebsd (which i think it is) its via ifconfig -m

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

It's a pretty efficient and safe way to prune down installed ports.
i dont see myself ever needing it but its pretty awesome

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

from the sound of it, you might want to look into how ezjail does its thing

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

unknown posted:

No
i was not clear, my bad

i was referencing the actual operation of ezjail, using a read only fs (nullfs in the case of ezjail) base and having a separate writable disk for all the normal stuffs (ssh keys, configs, packages, ...)

beyond that, it is too above and beyond my knowledge .... i need to get around to playing with my (second hand) fibre channel arrays that are waiting for attention

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

i just delete and redo the partition in fdisk and then disklabel is blank so its a clean slate

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Forgive me for being a newbie at FreeBSD/the slight derail, but isn't failover essentially what CARP is for? Or is there some other issue precluding you from using that? :confused:
that is for the (pf) firewall and not for a webserver

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

complex posted:

We use CARP at work for webservers and many other types of servers too. :confused:
i had only seen it in relation to pfsync .... i will have to look into it further

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

feld posted:

Can someone point out to me the release notes for -p5 because I can't seem to find it anywhere. What exactly did they fix in it? :iiam:
http://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories.html

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

an ever so slightly off topic cross post from yospos ... figured that it should appear here

:nws: https://wi.somethingawful.com/cd/cd4ace410862b31871f01973b9e2500e4695df4b.jpg

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I have yet to get multi nic load balancing to work and I have tried 3 or 4 times

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html#outgoing

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

if you aim to do things even easier, install portupgrade and you can install with the simple command `portinstall asciiquarium`

it also has `portupgrade` if you aim to keep your software up to date, assuming you keep your ports tree up to date with `portsnap` or something else

for the guy asking about freebsd on a laptop, how about you install freebsd and see how it works for you ?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I too blame apache 1.x, I had a similar issue on freebsd once. All my problems were solved by apache 2.x.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

http://www.1saleaday.com/ (a woot clone) has a dockstar available today for 23 bucks shipped

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 29, 2010

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

iirc, this works on the usb drive I have loaded with this
code:
title FreeBSD 8.1 x86
find --set-root /FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
map --mem /FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I need to reinstall freebsd on my laptop, I wiped it the last time I installed windows, so I will test the usb trickery and report back

anti ssh bruteforcing pf magic:
code:
block in quick on $ext from <blockedssh> label "block brute forcers"
pass in proto tcp to port ssh synproxy state (source-track rule, max-src-states 10, max-src-conn-rate 3/30, overload <blockedssh> flush global) label "pass ssh"
install the port expiretable and put this in the crontab for root, this is mine
code:
*      *       *       *       *       /usr/local/sbin/expiretable -t 5m blockedssh

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I tend to be lazy, su/sudo + crontab -e seems easier than vi /etc/crontab
I have my pfstat crontab entries under root also

in other news... yeah, freebsd does not see the grub assisted iso file boot as an install device. I guess the best option is to use bootonly and either extract the files to do an install from a dos partition or use ftp :geno:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

this suggests you edit the sendmail config and add
code:
define(`MAIL_HUB', `example.com.')dnl
define(`LOCAL_RELAY', `example.com.')dnl

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I am attempting to compile perl on my Dockstar and it is dying with signal 11. I have swap, which the first and only Google hit mentions as a possible remedy, but alas the error still comes up.

code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.10/work/perl-5.10.1  ./miniperl -Ilib make_patchnum.pl
*** Signal 11

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.10/work/perl-5.10.1.
*** Error code 1 (ignored)

You may see some irrelevant test failures if you have been unable
to build lib/Config.pm, lib/lib.pm or the Unicode data files.

cd t && (rm -f perl; /bin/ln -s ../miniperl perl)  && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.10/work/perl-5.10.1 \
 ./perl TEST -minitest base/*.t comp/*.t cmd/*.t run/*.t io/*.t op/*.t uni/*.t </dev/tty
*** Signal 11 (ignored)
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.10/work/perl-5.10.1  ./miniperl -Ilib autodoc.pl
*** Signal 11

Has anyone gotten perl 5.10 to compile on arm?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Yes, same place every time, originally with an earlier version or patch and now with 5.10.1_3. I have 1gb of swap, I have not seen it go past 5mb.

code:
Dec 19 01:10:58 dockstar kernel: pid 17153 (miniperl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
Dec 19 01:10:58 dockstar kernel: pid 17159 (miniperl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
Dec 19 01:10:58 dockstar kernel: pid 17164 (miniperl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
Dec 19 01:11:00 dockstar kernel: pid 17333 (miniperl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
Is the only thing of interest in messages.

edit: I see there is perl 5.12, I am going to try that now
edit 2: same issue

code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.12/work/perl-5.12.2  ./miniperl -Ilib make_patchnum.pl
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
*** Error code 139
1 error

You may see some irrelevant test failures if you have been unable
to build lib/Config.pm, or the Unicode data files.

cd t && (rm -f perl; /bin/ln -s ../miniperl perl)  && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.12/work/perl-5.12.2 \
 ./perl TEST -minitest base/*.t comp/*.t cmd/*.t run/*.t io/*.t re/*.t op/*.t uni/*.t </dev/tty
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.12/work/perl-5.12.2  ./miniperl -Ilib make_patchnum.pl
*** Error code 139
1 error
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.12.
*** Error code 1
There is 40mb of free ram, plus the 1gb of swap; it is only using 2mb, at least that is what the core file is.

edit 3: awesome, it looks like it could be gcc loving up my day http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=102074 ... but I have gcc4.2.1 :sigh:

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 19, 2010

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I am fed up with usb ethernet devices, both of my aue devices (one dlink, one linksys) crash and make the dockstar completely useless as a router.

Has anyone else experienced their usb network cards constantly going up and down only to eventually become unresponsive with ping screaming that there is "no buffer space available"? I saw a post about axe having the problem, and that it is apparently fixed in -current, but there was no mention of a fix for aue.

I sense that, in the end, I will simply just go back to an x86 router. Though, spending ~150 and get this, with 2 real network interfaces, might be worth it.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

over the years I have run numerous machines as my router

in order, iirc
p1 ~200mhz
486 dx2, I think
cyrix ~233mhz
via m10000 mini itx
sun ultra 10
dec alphastation 233
countless athlon xp machines
vmware guest on a quad core monster
seagate dockstar

at the beginning, it was freebsd 4.6 with ipfw, switched to openbsd for pf and have gone back and forth between freebsd and openbsd since pf was ported over

I think I will look into either a dual core atom or a core2duo for the next step, even though I enjoy running bizarre arches (sparc, alpha, arm) as security through obscurity ...

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

How'd that work out for you on long-term? Do you use Wifi devices on your net, if so, how did you solve that one?
The windows guests were much happier than either the OpenBSD or FreeBSD guests ever were. While I forget if OpenBSD had the problem also, FreeBSD had to be run with 1 CPU due to some horrible SMP performance.

I ran that for least a year and had no real issues. I am sure more disk I/O would have helped the performance. Anything more than a small server would likely have trouble keeping up.

I did not use any wifi devices, no help there. I can tell you that if you want to make an AP, you are pretty much screwed; there are no USB hostap devices, unless they made one of the Ralink devices work finally.

I can not honestly say that I would recommend using vmware, it just seems easier to use real hardware.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

the only thing that comes to mind is a misbehaving network card, though I have never seen that pattern of bandwidth before

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Masked Pumpkin posted:

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious, what is it?
Run OpenBSD? I mean, if it worked in the past for what you seek, that is the obvious option.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

edit /usr/local/etc/smb.conf file with the share you wish to create, there are examples available
`smbpasswd -a username`
add samba_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba start

I think that pretty much covers it

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

Has anyone got FreeBSD 9 or 9.1RC3 going on Hyper-V yet?
I asked about this at a BSD conference, it is in -CURRENT but not finalized at this moment.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

Were you at the conference this weekend?
Yeah, I was indeed.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 8, 2012

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

# make buildkernel
did you use KERNCONF=GENERIC?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

It defaulted to Generic when no kernel was specified, I thought. I saw a ton of "GENERIC" scrolling by while it was compiling.

Other pages (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html) mention that just "make buildkernel" can be used.
tmyk, honestly I do not use the "new" way of compiling a kernel so I was throwing that out there as a possibility

you may just simply want to update the src tree and try again if something changed

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Also, in xfce the terminal application doesn't seem to be working. It flashes on the screen for a split second then disappears. I can't tell from a simple ps if it's running in the background, but what should I do to solve this?
Run it from xterm / look at the X log and see if it is throwing an error? Maybe it has a verbose mode that may assist you. Sounds like a dependency issue fwiw.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

The platform of choice will be likely Hyper-V, since it's built into my host OS (Windows 8). Interestingly, there's a patchset to add Hyper-V support to FreeBSD.
I would not say that hyper-v support is quite that ready.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

In Workstation 9 there are shared virtual machines that can run at boot.

Good to hear the code is about to hit current though.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

ew, dynamically expanding .... I seem to remember reading that is best avoided with freebsd

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

iirc, freebsd-update updates src files so you should be able to determine if the fix is included by looking at it

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Solaris hasn't been BSD based for quite a while now, not sure why this would be the place to ask. :colbert:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

complex posted:

Latest snapshots, including Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone images. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-snapshots/2014-January/000066.html
loving gently caress, this is annoying

edit: 2/7 boots have had / successfully mounted :geno:
edit 2: the performance seems to be pretty bad, only time will tell though

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

did you verify the checksum?

also, esxi 5.1 is like the redhead stepchild of vmware; you should totally use 5.0 or 5.5

• Locked thread