Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
The more I read about this stuff, the less I seem to know, so I'll just brain-dump some questions here.

I wanna build a NAS to get some data off of drives that are just sitting in anti-static bags on a shelf. I was thinking about getting a Jonsbo N1 and putting 5 16tb drives in it in a RaidZ3 configuration, and then getting a single 16tb usb drive as some kind of backup (I'm dumb as hell and don't know how to back up a NAS to that USB drive but it's something I want to do. Perhaps I can build a simple 2 bay NAS for backups?). I think once I get rid of old stuff off the drives I don't care about, it'll most likely fit on a single 16tb drive, but I wanna build my NAS out for future expansion and save the external backup for stuff I actually care about.

I have no clue what parts to pick out really to get the whole ecc and zfs thing. I think what I'd like to do is to be able to host a few things on it as well, like pihole, a webpage diff scanner thing, and maybe a couple other simple things. Eventually someday plex. I think the only thing I know is if I want to go ryzen, I'd have to get a Pro CPU.

Sorry for the braindump aag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Oh yeah I don't mind janitoring stuff, as long as it's not super busy work and can largely be automated.

I could certainly fill that space up once I start video editing again. I'm not against getting a Synology or QNAP, but if I can save a bit of cash and get something I can do more with, I'd much rather do that.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the advice on the drives. Lots to think about. What's the suggested hardware for a NAS if I wanna get ryzen stuff? I think it gets pretty tricky if I want ECC. Might be easier to go Intel I think. I decided to let my NAS be a NAS and get a beelink for hosting services like plex or whatever else.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
So in short, don't fret over ECC and just get whatever fits my budget?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Alright! I think I have some parts picked out. I kinda had to piece things together from random google searches. I think I went a little overboard on the CPU but I decided im gonna host most of the internal services on that rather than the beelink. Feel free to dumpster on this, I really have no idea what I'm doing or if this is going to work lol. I hope its okay to post this here:

CPU: Ryzen 5750g PRO
RAM: Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME DDR4 3200MHz ECC DIMM
Motherboard: asrock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3
Case: Jonsbo n1
PSU: Corsair SF750
DRIVES: 5x 16tb WD Gold drives whenever they go on sale again
Some kind of SATA expansion board

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If you want ECC memory for system stability and all the other reasons for using it, you should really consider using a board that's known to generate non-maskable interrupts on ECC errors.

Do you know if the chassis will fit a deep Mini-ITX motherboard?
If so, this should be a good option, and if not you can go with this - although the latter will require SO-DIMM ECC memory.

I think you linked the same one twice.

also oh poo poo IPMI. I for sure wanna get in on that. I do have a monitor i could use but it would be super nice to not have to use that.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Dang. I was hoping to avoid having to get a gigantic case for a NAS. I don't exactly have a lot of space for a huge computer case at the moment.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

movax posted:

Node 804 is solid, if you can do mATX.

I was actually looking at the 304 as well, and if it can hold a deep Mini-ITX board, that would be fine as well. I could also make a node 804 work but i'd have to move a lot of stuff around first.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

The NSC-810a is another option as well https://www.u-nas.com/xcart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=17640. I had the mini ITX version and it was a pain in the rear end to work in the case and the fans died a couple times throughout its roughly 7 year service span before I disassembled the whole thing and went with a Node 804 temporarily while I worked on my heavy duty Supermicro 16-bay 3U DAS / NAS. The fans I've switched out in the front of the CSE836 aren't pulling in enough air though and I'm having to figure out ducting in the meantime while I weigh 3D printing a fan array bracket someone came up with so I can put in a different set of fans with somewhat comparable airflow as the stock fans that might actually give me hearing damage despite sitting in the floor above it.

oh man this one is on my list too. let me know how the ducting thing goes. I may end up going this route. I think it'll fit perfectly in the spot i have for it. (and hopefully the deep itx board fits it)

also for that X570D4I-NL, i found a review saying that ECC reporting might not be working on that board? It was a review for that board that was talking about other boards but they didn't seem to know for sure.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
For fun, I think I am going to try to make the Jonsbo work, unless this build is extra dumb, then I'll just get a normal 8-bay case like mentioned earlier.

CPU: Ryzen 5750g Pro
RAM: Samsung M474A4G43MB1-CTDQ ECC SO-DIMM
Motherboard: ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T
Case: Jonsbo n1
PSU: Corsair SF750
DRIVES: 5x 16tb WD Gold drives whenever they go on sale again. I have a few spare 2.5'' SSDs I can use for the OS.

If this doesn't seem like it'll work, whats a good motherboard/ram combo to fit into a U-NAS NSC-810A or the X-Case NASBOX N8C? Sorry again for the dumb questions, I promise I wont be dumb about the software stuff.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Looks like a good setup, although it might be a bit tight. What sort of cooler are you planning on using?

The motherboard+CPU+RAM combo should be good for any NAS that you expect to run continuously, and all the cases you mentioned support MiniITX so I don't see a reason to look for something else.

I'm not sure. I seen someone said they used a Noctua NH-L9x65 in that case so I was going to give that a whirl.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Auuugh those motherboards are hard to find. I wonder if I'm pointlessly limiting myself by going with ryzen lol.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
lol is buying a QNAP and then just putting my own OS on it an option? Or should I hold out for that motherboard to pop up somewhere? I guess I could also get a normal case like the Node 804 or the QNAP 810a and try to track down a normal motherboard.

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 9, 2022

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
So if I wanted something now I could get by with my original build and perhaps find the server board later. I like that idea haha.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
My friend told me about plex and that whole thing and now I basically have to rethink this build around an 8 drive case now. I think theres a bunch of around 20L cases to pick from, and finding parts to go into those is going to be a lot easier. I think I'll get the dtx version of that board i posted earlier and try to put it in a Silverstone DS380. Since I'm getting a bigger build, I think I'll just host all of my weird microservices on that instead of getting a separate device. If I could find some kind of GPU to fit in that case, would I be able to do plex + nas + misc game servers or would i need something beefier?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Oh poo poo and its open source too. Neato. Now I just gotta find ram that'll support ECC and I should be gravy to get this thing built. I'm super excited because I've been wanting to build a NAS for some time and it owns I'm finally gonna have it done.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I think my friend bought me the lifetime pass a couple years ago, but I'd have to dig through my stuff to see if that happened or not.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i wish the node 804 had hotswap bays. I know someone with metal skills i wonder if I can snag some hotswap bays and somehow mount them in the case instead.

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 21, 2022

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Probably not the best thread to ask, but in trying to find some parts for my build, amazon uk says "Temporarily out of stock. We are working hard to be back in stock. Place your order and we’ll email you when we have an estimated delivery date. ". Does that mean they'll eventually get stock again, or is this some generic placeholder? I found it on US amazon but its being sold by a sketchy seller :smith:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Adolf Glitter posted:

Maybe, but that's also what is shown on stuff that's been out of stock for months/years.
What parts? There's probably a different place to get them from, or an alternative part.

ASrock rack motherboard. I guess the RAM I'm looking at is on amazon as well, but I'm not sure other places that have it that aren't terribly expensive. digikey has the RAM but its 70 bux more :negative:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Korean Boomhauer posted:

ASrock rack motherboard. I guess the RAM I'm looking at is on amazon as well, but I'm not sure other places that have it that aren't terribly expensive. digikey has the RAM but its 70 bux more :negative:

i timed my complaining on this well, becuase the motherboard cropped up on newegg with a back in stock date of next week yesssss

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

power crystals posted:

What the hell is TrueCharts doing? "You need to reinstall all your apps now, because reasons. We will not explain why unless you join our support discord, maybe. Locked."

This isn't even the first breaking change they've done in the last six months. At this point it seems easier to just run everything in a VM rather than using TrueNAS' own app system and waiting for them to just blow up your installations because it makes something easier for them.

TrueSharts

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
TrueCharts is cool but theres questionable decisions everywhere and xisystems has stepped back from unofficially supporting that project as a result. Like the PiHole app they supply is heavily modified to basically do reverse proxy stuff only and you really can't do much else with it without a lot of work and having the TrueCharts people scream "UNSUPPORTED" and refuse to help. It's pretty much a gamble if whatever app you're looking at is going to function the same way the original developer intended vs what the truecharts people want. I guess too they were caught modifying the license the original developers would use and just saying "oh yeah its BSD license its nbd" or somethin like that. They also make it extremely difficult to find out who originally made a given app as well. It's all v weird to me.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Is there any easy way to tell what stick of ram is throwing constant "Correctable ECC - Asserted" on an asrock rack board? I went from 1 stick of ram to 6 on my board and ran memtest on it before booting into truenas but now i get ECC errors about once a day. I ran memtest on it again and nothing. The IPMI won't tell me what stick it is either.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Is there any easy way to tell what stick of ram is throwing constant "Correctable ECC - Asserted" on an asrock rack board? I went from 1 stick of ram to 6 on my board and ran memtest on it before booting into truenas but now i get ECC errors about once a day. I ran memtest on it again and nothing. The IPMI won't tell me what stick it is either.

I think i forgot to mention but this board is an Asrock rack. their support isn't terribly helpful either :smith:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Luckily I installed scale when I moved in from nothing to NAS. I run a heretic configuration where Proxmox hosts a few vm’s, truenas being one of them.

oh poo poo i just came here to ask about this kind of setup. I'm running scale on bare metal and tbh everything is running great, but the truecharts support avenue is super stressful to read b/c the maintainer is just angry all the time and i kinda wanna not deal with that no more.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I think the price point of $15/tb or lower is still valid as a rule of thumb as well.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Wibla posted:

Their whole Apps ecosystem is extremely poo poo.

I might just do proxmox + ZFS + LXC for samba the next time around, then run turnkeylinux containers for plex / qbittorrent etc.

It can't be stated enough just how bad the truenas apps ecosystem absolutely sucks. TrueSharts is the loving worst.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

rufius posted:

Can you elaborate? I’m genuinely curious.

I’m running a bunch of the *arrs, nzbget, a couple of custom docker apps, and I think handbrake. I haven’t run into issues.

But I see people being pissed about truecharts or whatever regularly.

I could have been a bit more concise hah. The truenas apps side is mostly fine, it's weird that its kubernetes based but doesn't have many of the kubernetes features, but its fine. Most of my beef is from the truecharts side.

bit of an unfocused rant but:

When Scale first introduced apps, people kinda felt like that whole thing was lacking. A few people put their heads together and came up with their own ecosystem in order to make it easier to add way more apps and bring in a few more features. That's TrueCharts. They seem to like breaking the whole thing once or twice a year for seemingly no reason, and sometimes the fixes or changes the end users have to do aren't reliable or don't work and you have to reinstall a bunch of your stuff. You have to check their discord server daily to see if they've broken anything and have to make changes, or else things go downhill quickly. With many apps, you don't have access to make changes under the hood, or change some settings with the app. The maintainer and support staff are extremely hostile to anyone asking for help or questions. The whole thing is stressful. I myself haven't run into either, but sitting in their channel and watching the maintainer tell someone "I updated nextcloud and it won't start, and I don't wanna lose any data" get told by the maintainer "sucks to be you" gets very draining very fast. You can't just google any issues either, because TrueCharts is more or less proprietary. You can't shim something for docker or kubernetes into TrueCharts because it'll most likely cause your app to explode, and the support people in their discord call you a moron for using google (while telling someone else ''have you ever heard of a little thing called GOOGLE?!?'').

I'm in the process of putting all of my poo poo into docker in a VM inside of proxmox and eventually moving my Scale install into a VM as well.

phosdex posted:

I'm still running truenas core. Def past the point of any janitoring needed. I forgot what scale was so I looked at the website and I don't need any of that.

My understanding is eventually they're going to want everyone on Scale at some point in the future, and that Core is in maintenance mode, but I didn't do any digging to see.

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 25, 2024

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
You'll be fine if you're using just the apps IX offers (and whatever you setup with their custom app stuff).

power crystals posted:

I haven't tried upgrading to dragonfin or whatever the 2024 version is called yet

if you're still on truesharts, there's a whole lot of poo poo you have to do to make this upgrade work without blowing up all your apps. I still ended up losing around five apps or so. Their documentation around this is incomplete as gently caress. The entire reason this blew up is their insistence on using PVC for everything. I didn't end up actually losing data because I've been down this path with them before and I made backups of everything, so my loss is just time setting up all these apps again (in docker in a vm instead.)

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I can't speak to unraid, or your specific usecase, but TrueNAS is fine if you essentially use it like a pure NAS product and ignore the (third party) apps/kubernetes/VM stuff that's stitched onto it. I'm not sure truecharts would have anything approximating NVMe-oF, truecharts is more along the lines of wanting to run other *arr apps or like a minecraft server.

E: I kinda passively googled around and it sounds like this shooould be achievable in proxmox. ymmv and you might wanna pull some threads yourself to see if it fits your specific knees, but its an option.

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 25, 2024

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Dumb question but is there anything that truenas scale does zfs-wise that i couldn't replicate with a cronjob if i were to just use zfs on proxmox and have a nfs/smb container somewhere? Like what all would I have to setup to make sure my data doesn't get exploded aside from a weekly scrub? I'm pretty sure I can view drive health right in proxmox as well.

I was originally going to do a truenas scale vm and passthrough one of the sata controllers and use that for NAS, but I wanna have some of my docker containers use some of the space on the NAS, like tubearchivist can store videos there, or romm can access roms on it (for 24 hours, after which they'll be deleted). I was reading that docker and nfs can be dicey, but nfsv4 was fine? I don't know!

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Oh yeah snapshots and backups are gonna be a part of my whole new setup lol. I'm currently not doing either! I'm not entirely sure how to weave snapshots and replication so it's not a certified mess. I have a lot of reading to do I guess.

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 2, 2024