Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what NAS I should buy?

I'm looking for something that will be used to stream content to my network attached TV. DLNA/UPnP is a must, along with mac compatibility (specifically, HFS+) along with USB ports for added expansion. If possible, I'd like to spend less than $200. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Civil posted:

DNS-323 might work if you need an appliance, though your HFS+ is an odd request. It uses ext2, or ext3, but you can connect via SMB to the shares through a mac, so if that's what you're worried about, it works. I use mine mainly to stream movies via upnp av to my ps3.

SMB will work, and yes, mac compatibility is what I'm looking for.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are there any reasonably prices ($600 or less) NAS's out there that will let you run python applications out of the box or is that something that is only possible if I build my own NAS?

I really just want the ability to leave SABNZBD/SickBeard/Couch Potato running at all times on an NAS, but I haven't built any type of computer in over 5 years and I would really like the headache-free experience of just buying something and being done with it.

I guess I'd be willing to pick up a cheap HP/Dell/Whatever and install Windows Server on it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pretty much what I do with my ReadyNAS. I paid a few bucks for add-ons to run on it and been happy with it.

http://readynasxtras.com/readynas-x86-add-ons/bundles-x86

What ReadyNAS do you have and what drives do you use with it? I'm thinking about picking up the RND4000.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are there any reasons why I should install Windows Home Server onto my NAS box and utilize Drive Extender?

It seems like the ideal option for someone like me who wants to only buy a couple 3 TB hard drives, throw in some other hard drives I have sitting around, and buy some more hard drives at a later time. It's just not financially viable for me to buy a bunch of identical drives at the same time.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

PopeOnARope posted:

WHS is an 8 year old OS, and WHSv2 / Vail doesn't even have a drive extender.

There's a ton of poo poo around that offers WHS-like functionality - like Drive Bender.

How many drives do you have at the moment anyway?

I've got 2 1 TBs (One Samsung, One WD) and I'd likely pick up 2 3 TB drives.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Can someone please explain the advantages/disadvantages of using ZFS / RAID Z instead of something like RAID 5? RAID Z/ZFS doesn't require identical hard drives, correct?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Its only been mentioned a couple times in the past in this thread but has anyone tried out Amahi?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I was looking at the Synology DS1511+ but the fact that a lot of goons have had issues with their Synology NAS boxes.

Can someone recommend another 5-bay NAS that is $800 or so?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there a general consensus on what the best reasonably price 2 TB drives are for a storage box? There seems to be quite a few different brands at the $80 price point.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Can someone explain to me why most network attached drives are so slow to write to? That seems to be one of the biggest complaints about NAS drives.

What's the bottleneck?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My current SFF ITX NAS has a i5 Devil's Canyon 4690k with 8GB of RAM and 4x drives in Unraid. My docker regularly runs NZBGet, Radarr, Sonarr, Plex, OpenVPN, Nextcloud, and Tautulli, and my Plex is regularly transcoding and streaming a couple 1080p videos while direct streaming locally over our network. Over the next 4-5 years, I see myself slowly upgrading my collection to 4K videos, and giving more friends access to my Plex library, so I'm wondering where I should go with my personal NAS.

Idea #1:
Pick up a Norco 8x hot swap Mini ITX case, transfer my current NAS into it, and slowly add new 10-12TB drives to my current Unraid system. Eventually swap out the CPU, mobo, and RAM if/when I have issues transcoding videos on the fly.

Idea #2:
Pick up a relatively affordable Dell Poweredge from eBay, which would have 2x Xeon CPUs in it.

Picking up used enterprise hardware seems like the better and cheaper option in the long-run, but I like being able to slowly upgrade my current NAS as I need more space. I'm just not sure how well my 5 year-old CPU is going to be able to keep up with transcoding 4K videos on the fly, or even if modern consumer Intel CPUs can do it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MagusDraco posted:

Plex does not like to transcode 4k video right now so you'll be wanting to get things that can direct play any 4k video that you'll be watching. Plex loses the hdr metadata when it attempts to transcode 4k videos and can't tonemap it to a SDR output so if you do manage to play something transcoded it will look washed out.

I know the haswell 4 core Xeon in my Dell T20 can't begin to transcode 4k stuff even if plex didn't have all those other problems with transcoding 4k video. It can transcode the audio in a 4k video if it has to and that still works fine but it is way too slow to transcode the video.

edit: the very rough plex guidelines for transcoding 4k video in plex from 4k to 1080p:

Ouch. Sounds like my first idea is better, hopefully Plex and Intel can catch up by the time I end up upgrading my CPU in a couple years.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Unraid was easy to setup, incredibly stable, and I love that I'll be able to continually add new drives down and not have to worry about transferring data or juggling drives.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What's better:

Athena Power 500W Flex ATX PSU:
http://www.athenapower.com/product/power-supply/flex-atx/ap-mfatx50p8

PSP Group 500W Flex ATX PSU:
https://www.fspgroupusa.com/ecommerce/pc-psu/flex-12v/flex-atx/fsp500-50fspt.html

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Atomizer posted:

No, the one drive to avoid was the ST3000DM001.

Literally the only hard drive I’ve had fail on me over the past 20 years.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Welp just purchased my third 10 TB to shuck. Tempted to grab a fourth.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What kind of case does everybody use? I've been on the hunt for a mid-tower that could comfortably hold 8 3.5" drives, and finally settled on an open box Fractal R5 for $60 on eBay. Eventually I'll replace the 2 x 5.25" bays.

I'm pretty bummed that I missed out on NZXT's closeout of their H440, which is noticeably smaller and fits 10 drives. Just a month ago, they were being sold for $65.

Next up: Gabbing a closeout Ryzen 7 + Motherboard so I can mess around with Unraid VMs.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 9, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

fletcher posted:

HP N40L! Too small for your 8 drive requirement though.

I'd really like my next storage box to be solid state...is there something purpose built like the N40L that would fit the bill?

I certainly don't need the SSD for throughput, it's just that latency browsing around folders on my ZFS array is kinda annoying. Navigating to a folder that has hundreds of other folders in it has a very noticeable pause.

Are you using Unraid? I just discovered Dynamix Cache Directories, which keeps folder information in memory to prevent unnecessary disk spin up. My SMB/AFP shares are so much faster to navigate through now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Setup an Unraid trial. It's easy and convenient and there's a million great video guides from spaceinvader one on YouTube. I just swapped out a filled 3 TB Seagate (ticking time bomb) with an empty 10 TB and it's rebuilding the data right now without a hitch. It runs Plex, Sonarr, Radarr. I can setup cloud backup with a reverse proxy. I can VPN into it. Once I upgrade, I'm going to setup a Windows vm and game with it.

I really couldn't be happier with my Unraid experience over the past 6 months. The drives can be a bit slow, but it's worth the trade-off.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 16, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

That 70s Show BluRay Remuxes? Sheesh, re-encode it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

AT&T is coming on Monday to install U-Verse 1000 mbps Fiber. I see many shucked 10 TB drives in my future.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

The only thing 1/1Gbps FTTH did for me was show me that no cloud provider that I use for backup will let me upload at anything approaching those speeds.

Are there any particular services that can max out a 1 gbps connection? I'm not currently doing any cloud-based back-ups at the moment. I thought about signing up for a month's of Mega.

It will be nice VPNing into my NAS whenever I'm not home and not having to worry about bogging down my home network.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Well I've ignored it as long as is feasible. My wife's mac is full from her "Photos" library. We want to go to a consolidated library of photos on the synology. What sort of software are people using to accomplish this using an iphone+mac? Is there a sane way to "export" the photos library onto the NAS short of just opening it and dragging the "Masters" folder out?

I guess the overall question - is there a way to maintain a "gallery" like view of the pictures a-la photos, preferably cross platform, and hopefully one which will sort files into folders for us but not freak out if I rename things?

You could probably just move the Photos library file to your NAS and use AutoMounter on your macs to make sure you're always connected to the share with the library file.

How big is her Photos library? I just went through 10 years of photos and deleted most duplicates from my iPhone and 24 megapixel mirrorless camera. My Photos library ended up being about 30 gigs, so I just bit the bullet and signed up for a 200 GB iCloud account so I don't have to deal with it. You could always just do this and optimize her laptop's Photos library to store it on iCloud.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

CopperHound posted:

I got my u-nas 810a case up and running. It turns out my use case involves a bit more that just bulk storage:

I have a lot to learn, but I think I really like unraid. I don't think I would trust it for anything mission critical and it doesn't have the performance of a striped array, but the JBOD implementation pretty much lets me throw whatever hardware I have at it. I can tell it not to split sub-directories across drives, so I should be able to recover stuff off of individual drives if I need to pull them out of the array to read. Adding a cache drive has helped write performance a lot. The SSD does not have any parity, but in my case I can tolerate that risk until the mover process has a chance to run.

e: I do hate how unraid's licensing is tied to physical USB sticks.

Make sure you check out Sonarr v3 beta.

I just upgraded my Unraid server to a Ryzen 7 2800 and I love being able to allocate 2-4 cores per vm. I really need to get Wireguard figured out on unraid.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I just got a 10tb easystore to shuck, to replace the first 8tb drive in my array, but now I'm not so sure. It's only two years old. I do have a spare NAS lying around and I could just add to my storage solution (using three NASes in one house, lol.) What do you goons vote – should I preemptively replace the first 8tb drive or just balls to the walls add another 10tb to my setup? The data isn't irreplaceable or anything.

I'd probably consolidate everything into an unraid box. Definitely wouldn't preemptively replace anything.

Unraid's 6.8 features are shaping up to be pretty nice - I'll probably dump OpenVPN for Wireguard (Less resource intensive on iOS, so I'll be able to VPN into my network whenever I'm not at home at all times). Remote access to the server webGUI is really great too.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Devian666 posted:

I know a lot of you are low on storage space. So 18 & 20TB drives are being manufactured next year.

https://www.servethehome.com/western-digital-volume-production-of-18tb-and-20tb-drives-in-2020/

Western Digital needs to finally release some 12 TB and larger EasyStores.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Another shucked Seagate from 2010-2012 died over the weekend. I can't wait until the last one finally dies so I can replace it with a shucked 10 TB WD Red.

Edit: Noise-wise, my Fractal Design R5 with 5x 10 TB WD Reds is whisper quiet - I can't even hear the drives being written/read. Best $55 case I've ever gotten.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 4, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Fractal Design R5 does up to 10 drives, U-NAS NSC810A or Silverstone DS 380B let you do 8 drives, if you want to go 12+ you may want to think about a disk shelf like DS4243 (and you'll probably want to swap the IOM units so it can be driven with a standard SAS card).

You can add additional HDD cages to the Fractal R5 and fit 12-15 drives.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nerox posted:

I put Ombi on my server tonight and the app on my wife's phone and now she can search poo poo herself without asking me to do it. It is pretty fantastic.

Is sharing Plex libraries with goons allowed on SA? Anybody who wants access to mine can PM their email address to me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nerox posted:

Thread Update: This was a terrible idea, my sabnzbd queue is at like 4tb right now. :stare:

This is why I manually approve my Ombi requests.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've only had two drives ever fail on me and they were both Seagates. Eagerly awaiting the last one to fail so I can finally replace it with a shucked 10/12 TB WD Red.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Volguus posted:

DeathStar was IBM, later Hitachi, HDD.

Since we're talking anecdotes:
I've only had 3 HDDs failing me in the last 20 years. All 3 were WD. First one was in 2001. Last two were in 2015.

That said, Backblaze is providing us with data, not anecdotes.

My anecdotes get their own Wikipedia page and class action lawsuit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

Probably skews more homelab than most of this thread, but this is a very exciting hi-po mITX build base.
https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-x570d4i-2t-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen-mitx-dual-10gbe/

I moved away from mITX for my server, but that definitely looks like my next mobo for whatever new system I eventually build. Can’t believe dual 10 GBe has taken this long.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This is great, I can finally dump OpenVPN for Wireguard. I do wish they'd let me get rid of the root login account, but SSL + VPN seems secure enough for me - I can just set up my devices to always auto-connect for safe private browsing on public wifi while I'm not at home.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 11, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I eyed $400-$500 Synology NASes for years until I decided to build an 8-core Ryzen NAS for under $500 (not including the drives).

$200 CPU
$100 Mobo
$100 RAM
$100 PSU/Case

Being able to run both Windows and MacOS vms at the same time is nice, and eventually I’ll pick up a modern GPU that I’ll be able to pass through and game with. It runs Pi Hole, CUPS for printing from anywhere, Homebridge to add HomeKit functionality to cheap Raspberry Pi webcams, all of my devices automatically VPN into it when I’m not at home, and I share my Plex with anybody who asks for it. It’s pretty great.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Regarding affordable NAS back-ups: Has anybody else looked into a Google Enterprise account with unlimited Google Drive storage? It's only $12 a month and lots of people over on Reddit have backed up their NASes using rclone. Hell, a lot of people even setup a Plex server with content hosted on Google Drive Enterprise (encrypted, of course). Supposedly Google won't start throttling your usage until you hit 150 TB of space used.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use PiHole in an Unraid docker, but my router’s settings let me set up a backup DNS, so it’s not a big deal if my pihole docker is running or not.

I’ve got an extra Raspberry Pi 3 lying around that I could turn into a dedicated DNS/WireGuard box, but it seems like it might not be worth the hassle when Unraid is doing the job just fine.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 10, 2020

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can’t imagine my fractal R5 running out of space any time soon with 14 TB drives becoming the norm, but I’ll definitely grab one of those 7 XLs if I need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

I guess it just seems like a lot of people don't realize Unraid is a lot closer to Synology on that scale than something like FreeNAS or whatever. I put off building a home server for a long time because I didn't want to shell out for Synology, and didn't want to mess with janitoring at home. If I'd known how "just works" Unraid actually is, I'd have put one together much earlier.

I lusted after $800+ 8-bay Synology NASes for years until I found out about Unraid, which I promptly installed using an old desktop computer that I had lying around. I haven't looked back and I really appreciate the apps and community support that Unraid has. The fact that I could slowly add non-identical drives over the years made it even more enticing than a more traditional NAS. Now I use it as a private VPN, portable vm machine (for tablets and phones on the go), Pi Hole DNS, an Plex server for 20+ friends.

My Fractal R5 case isn't hard to miss next to our entertainment center, but at least it's near-silent even when a few disks are spun up.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 25, 2020