Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I'm already down to <5 TB free on my 8x6TB RAID6 NAS I built two years ago. Unforutately, the Fractal Node 804 case only has space for one more 3.5" and 2.5" drive. I already have a 2.5" 128 GB SSD boot drive and 3.5" 14 TB partial backup drive in addition to the NAS storage running off a LSI 9211-8i. I'm trying to determine what would be the best upgrade path in terms of storage capacity/performance and cost. Primary use case is media storage that is written once and then read many times.

Possible upgrades:

* Replace the existing drives with larger ones one at a time (sucks as while they are hot swappable there's no backplane/drive trays).
    * Surplus 2U rackmount server with at least 12x 3.5" bays
    * Surplus 2U rackmount DAS with at least 12x 3.5" bays that connect to existing NAS via USB 3.0 or an external SATA/SAS RAID controller
    * Some SMB-levl offering from QNAP/Synology with at least 12x 3.5" bays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

I've been rebuilding my NAS and going from 8 to 16 drives in a Fractal Meshify 2 XL. You can fit like 18 3.5" drives in there, it's incredibly spacious. I suspect if you bought cheap cages instead of using their brackets you could squeeze even more out of it (or maybe even 3d print some mounting cages).

Thanks. What would you recommend for an internal RAID controller and desktop power supply that can connect to that many drives? I get that I'd probably be getting some E-ATX board for that much storage.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

A really good feature for Sonarr/Radarr would be to include the video/audio codecs in Quality Definitions. I have to transcode all the time anyway to account for my lovely upload bandwith and whatever busted smart TV client an end user is watching from. Might as well have some more modern video codecs that have better compression for more disk space savings.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

phosdex posted:

In Radarr, you can make a custom format and use that to sort of tag a movie for things you want, like x265.

Nice, makes sense as I already use them to blacklist certain file/container formats

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Got burned by Storage Spaces (Win10) recently. Had a drive die in a 8x 6 TB HDD Virtual Disk setup and I had to add a drive to remove a drive essentially, even though I thought I set it up with Dual Parity. I basically just got two spares delivered, hooked up one via SATA -> USB, then replaced the failed disk. Fairly annoying as I had to Optimize and Repair every step of the way. The weird part was, I thought I would be able to drop the spare hooked up via USB but Storage Spaces wouldn't let me claiming there wasn't enough space in the pool.

I realized I may have had some of the Virtual Disk settings wrong, so I backed everything up and recreated it. I notice when I resetup the Virtual Disk with the correct Interleave and Redundancy settings that Storage Spaces isn't automatically giving me an option to remove a drive. I'm sure because it's only an issue if one fails again. Can someone take a look at my Virtual Disk settings and reassure me that I won't run into the same issue when another disk dies? Again, just doing a 8x 6 TB HDD setup with Dual Parity. I know 10 disks is ideal for Dual Parity, but I tested the write performance and it isn't too bad (set the allocation unit size for the filesystem to 1024KB).

code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-VirtualDisk "Parity" | Select-Object *

Usage                             : Data
NameFormat                        :
OperationalStatus                 : OK
HealthStatus                      : Healthy
ProvisioningType                  : Fixed
AllocationUnitSize                : 1073741824
MediaType                         : Unspecified
ParityLayout                      : Rotated Parity
Access                            : Read/Write
UniqueIdFormat                    : Vendor Specific
DetachedReason                    : None
WriteCacheSize                    : 1073741824
FaultDomainAwareness              : PhysicalDisk
ColumnIsolation                   : PhysicalDisk
ObjectId                          : {1}\\RURI\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_VirtualDisk.ObjectId="
                                    {8fa153ca-848a-11eb-ba70-806e6f6e6963}:VD:{ef013e94-f147-4239-806f-6dc81b53c375}{4f
                                    6a5c41-bad3-4e9f-899a-4ae82a74236c}"
PassThroughClass                  :
PassThroughIds                    :
PassThroughNamespace              :
PassThroughServer                 :
UniqueId                          : 415C6A4FD3BA9F4E899A4AE82A74236C
AllocatedSize                     : 35987530973184
FootprintOnPool                   : 47989011775488
FriendlyName                      : parity
Interleave                        : 131072
IsDeduplicationEnabled            : False
IsEnclosureAware                  : False
IsManualAttach                    : False
IsSnapshot                        : False
IsTiered                          : False
LogicalSectorSize                 : 4096
Name                              :
NumberOfAvailableCopies           :
NumberOfColumns                   : 8
NumberOfDataCopies                : 1
NumberOfGroups                    : 1
OtherOperationalStatusDescription :
OtherUsageDescription             :
PhysicalDiskRedundancy            : 2
PhysicalSectorSize                : 4096
ReadCacheSize                     : 0
RequestNoSinglePointOfFailure     : False
ResiliencySettingName             : Parity
Size                              : 35987530973184
UniqueIdFormatDescription         :
PSComputerName                    :
CimClass                          : ROOT/Microsoft/Windows/Storage:MSFT_VirtualDisk
CimInstanceProperties             : {ObjectId, PassThroughClass, PassThroughIds, PassThroughNamespace...}
CimSystemProperties               : Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimSystemProperties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I was going to recommend Orange Computers but they went out of business last month
https://twitter.com/0rangeComputers/status/1763234837366812777