Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just wondering if anyone had some feedback before I went ahead with this. First time dealing with NASes at this level before. We have small/medium sized SANs, but we are looking for some cheap secondary storage.

We are looking at purchasing the Synology DS1010+ and the DX510 expansion and filling them with 10 Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS 2TB drives.

We are mainly going to be using them as backup targets for disk-to-disk-to-tape backups using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 and then possibly using them as archive storage with Windows 2008 R2 FCI/FMT.

Actually, that's another question. Is anyone else using Windows 2008 R2 FCI/FMT with the LastAccessed tag, similar to this post?

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Friends don't let friends buy Drobos.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You would be dumb to keep it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am not really looking at building my own NAS, but I as curious, what solution is better for RSS+Torrent solutions. QNAP or Synology?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Honestly, if that's all you're going to use it for, Debian + rTorrent +ruTorrent

Debian on an HP Microserver or something?

I mean, are there fancy things people are doing with QNAP or Synology devices that I am not aware of that make Debian a better use case for me?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know about the current readynas, but netgear really burned a lot of customers by not updating models that were less than a year old to the latest software and basically abandoning fixing the old software.

Yeah, I don't see why you wouldn't buy a Synology or a QNAP these days, unless you are building your own.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nystral posted:

I'm getting only ~15-20 MB/s transfer from NAS to client on a wired gigabit network. NAS is a NAS4Free with 8 x 3TB WD Red drives in a RAIDZ2 and a total size ~15TB. Drives are connected via SATA to an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP Mainboard. Network is off an Intel Pro 1000/GT PCI NIC.

In order to increase performance am I better off looking at my networking setup or looking to move the drives off the SATA connectors and onto a dedicated RAID card?

That is very, very low and there is something wrong with your configuration.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SoggyGravy posted:

If I want to setup a network drive for a relative of mine who works with photography and video-editing professionally but does not know about NAS (for that matter I don't know much but I am tech savvy enough that I build my own PC's from scratch). How much and what would be the recommendation on what I should purchase?

more than two drives would probably be a big plus. Am I being naive in that this requires knowledge of networking on a professional level to do or is this something that I could setup with a bit of reading and some $?

The idea would be that she could just have access to all of her data wherever she travels and upload stuff instead of having to lug around 10 different hard drives that are always in danger of failing.

Almost all of the pre-built NASes have that functionality with cloud apps. Look at Synology or QNAP. Although that being said, are you sure cloud storage isn't the right choice here? Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are you by any chance the guy I replaced at work? I think we have more VLANs than we have employees.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Oh believe me I have an open ticket, just trying to figure it out in the meantime. Also in the case of the eventual "problem must be on your end" response that doesn't actually answer my questions.

Bringing it back to school tomorrow, we shall see.

And I'm sorry to maintain my ignorance but what doesn't make sense? If the "request an IP address" procedure doesn't require you to change any settings on the machine in question, then by IOwnCalculus's explanation it must be reserved DHCP and not static IP. Since static IP would be a setting on the machine in question and DHCP would be on the network end. What am I missing?

Either you or they fat-fingered the MAC address on the request/reservation or the device is not configured for DHCP.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know if I agree with that. An old drive sitting on a shelf in an anti-static bag is going to last a good long time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you going to fire it up every 30 days or whatever to test it? I wouldn't want my only backup to be on a drive that hasn't spun up in years. Crashplan's app is designed to only back up stuff you still have locally too, so if you actually wanted to delete it from any sort of live storage, I'd go with Glacier or Google's glacier-like storage.

I'm not personally going to be testing anything every 30 days, as that is not my choice of backup.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Windows software raid should be perfectly fine for that sort of thing these days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

H2SO4 posted:

I just bought a drobo instead.

Poor bastard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So... got woken up to a loud beeping coming from my Synology. Looks like one drive is in a "crashed" state but the SMART test passes as normal. The Raw_Read_Error_Rate is 172 but that doesn't seem to terrible. Rest of the stats look fine. Anyone have a guess why my NAS is trying to flag the drive as bad but SMART is "healthy?"

I guess it is the Multi Zone Error Rate? Pretty strange that SMART says its healthy though. I have backups, just trying to figure out if it should be RMAed and restore from backups.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I run Raid 0 on my 2-disk NAS. Raid 1 with 2 disks is a 50% loss of drive space and I am going to have to back it up anyways. It's not the end of the world if those files are unavailable for a week. Which actually just happened and it was not the end of the world.

That being said I don't back up to the cloud, just another Raid 0 array in my PC. So restoring wasn't a big deal. Gives me 8 TB of storage, 8 TB of backups for fairly cheap.

My problem with the 4 bay NASes if that you have to run RAID 6 or RAID 10, and again, you are losing 50%. Just not worth it if you're going to have to back it up as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RAID is not backup, etc, etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I realize this is the NAS thread, but I'd prefer not to create a thread in Haus for this. Does anyone have any good data recovery labs they use? Dead hard drive, not recoverable via software. Friend of the family, etc, etc. I thought there was a goon-approved one but I am having trouble finding info in the FAQ threads and I guess the SHSC wiki has been dead for a while?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

movax posted:

Why not just DBAN a couple of passes? Or did they actually want the drives 'destroyed'?

You only need one pass.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

This still makes no sense because a two drive failure on a RAID5 should mean instant, unrecoverable, and total loss of the array.

What RAID solution are you using? Mdraid? Hardware of some sort? What does it say about the health of the whole thing?

This is not true. You can always force online a disk in an array and try to get data off of it. It's not a good position to be in and will likely involve lots of corrupt files at best.

If you want to recover your data your best bet is to stop trying to do anything with the array and the drives. Then use something like Drive XML to take raw (with empty space) images of each drive, then use something like Runtime's RAID Reconstructor against those images. You will need a ton of free space for those images. It will take a long time. But this is the best you can do, as long as the drives themselves still power on and mount.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Richard M Nixon posted:

It's mdraid. This is what I saw immediately after I got an I/O error and before I stopped the array (one spare, two failed, two active drives):
code:
cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [ra id10]
md0 : active raid5 sdf1[6](S) sda1[1](F) sdd1[3](F) sdc[5] sde[4]
      5860537344 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 1024k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/2] [U__U]

unused devices: <none>

sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
        Version : 1.2
  Creation Time : Fri Jul 22 17:13:28 2011
     Raid Level : raid5
     Array Size : 5860537344 (5589.04 GiB 6001.19 GB)
  Used Dev Size : 1953512448 (1863.01 GiB 2000.40 GB)
   Raid Devices : 4
  Total Devices : 5
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Sat Feb 13 23:09:52 2016
          State : clean, FAILED
 Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 3
 Failed Devices : 2
  Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 1024K

Name : htpcbox:0  (local to host htpcbox)
           UUID : b2fee98b:a1be2e00:ebbc39a9:9050312e
         Events : 362446

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       4       8       64        0      active sync   /dev/sde
       1       0        0        1      removed
       2       0        0        2      removed
       5       8       32        3      active sync   /dev/sdc

1       8        1        -      faulty spare   /dev/sda1
       3       8       49        -      faulty spare   /dev/sdd1
       6       8       81        -      spare   /dev/sdf1
The failure happened right after extracting a ~100gb archive so it was suggested that I may be dealing with a block failure and I could possibly save some data. I'm not terribly familiar with raid recovery so I'm just parroting what the Internet has told me so far.

I imagine this is substantially different than the other suggestion I received to do a sector-level copy of the failed drives and then try and rebuild from the copies? The drives are powered and mounted just fine and I can still read the superblock data on them (see previous post) so I can give it a shot.

It's basically the same thing as far as sector level copy goes, but the rebuild process of RAID Reconstructor does data recovery type analysis while it is looking at the array. I'd assume it supports the file system you're using. Like I said, you'll just need a lot of scratch space. Those sector level images will be the size of your drives, and you'll need space to restore to.

Like everyone said, little late but RAID 5 is rarely the right choice these days. Although with 2 TB drives I'd say you're on the cusp.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Skandranon posted:

While this is possible, we need to be realistic. He is unlikely to get any significant portion of his data back in this way if the disks themselves have failed.

One of the reasons I switched to SnapRaid from Unraid is that it also allows for multiple parity disks, so I have 2 disk redundancy on top of mitigated failure. One thing to keep in mind though is these array strategies are not meant for anywhere near high performance. You will get worse write speed than a native RAID5/6 array, and your read speed will be as good as the individual disk you are reading from. This is usually perfectly fine for things like media libraries or backup devices, but not great for things that are constantly read/written to.

I said he was not in a good situation and at best he'd be able to recover files and have a lot of corrupt files. With the way RAID5 tends to fail during rebuild, it does not necessarily mean the second failed disk is completely failed. I know a bit about what I am talking about and have dealt with data loss situations like this in the past.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Check to see if your router supports USB hard drives. Some consumer-level ones do. Otherwise, yes single drive NASes exist. Like this - https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS115j

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Having the hardest time getting some numbers could anyone give me an approximate of how much they paid for a Netapp FAS2520 about 4tb

You want this thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looks like it is pretty regular that that price - http://camelcamelcamel.com/Fractal-Design-Mini-ITX-Computer-FD-CA-NODE-304-BL/product/B009LHF4FO?context=browse

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Phone posting but I'd imagine PC Parts Picker had something like that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You couldn't pay me to take that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

More reliable? What year is this?

Apparently there year where we are talking about reusing hardware with 146GB drives.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RAID is not backup.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are there any consumer DASes that can be connected via SATA/eSATA/SAS that can hold more than 5 drives?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's exactly what I was looking for. Seems expensive for what it is, but I guess it is cheaper than buying an 8 bay Synology. I currently have 2 bay Synology and a Zotac Z-box. The 2 bay Synology is JBOD and backs up to my PC, and the Zotac Zbox is starting to show it's age, having trouble keeping up with higher bitrate transcodes.

Think about getting a beefier PC and moving to something like Xpenology, but if I am going that route I'd like more than a few hard drives.

Thanks for the link!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like a good excuse to get a backup in place.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Was wondering if I could get a sanity check on this plan:

I have a 2-bay Synology NAS that's in RAID-0. I understand the ramifications of RAID-0, have backups that run several times a day, etc. It's just what worked best for me at the time. It's time to upgrade to a 5-bay, likely a DS1717+. I'd like to move off of RAID-0 and onto SHR-2. I'd also like to keep my DownloadStation tasks and have them continue to work correctly. My plan was to...

1. Move both disks from 2-bay to the 5-bay. From my understanding this should move the config/OS and keep the DownloadStation tasks.
2. Install 3 new drives in a SHR-1 array, create a new volume, move the volume from the RAID-0 array to the SHR-1 array. Once the volume is moved the Shared Folders and the path on the DownloadStation tasks should still be correct. Anyone know otherwise?
3. Remove the 2 disks from the RAID-0 array. My understanding is that all of the disks get the OS and config as RAID-1 and that things should continue running correctly.
4. Install 2 new disks. Upgrade the SHR-1 array to SHR-2 using 1 of the new disks and expand it using the other.

Does any of that sound incorrect? Thanks thread.

[Edit: It looks like you can't just move drives to a new NAS if it is a different model, so this plan likely won't work. It looks like you have to get into the weeds to backup and restore Download Station tasks. Has anyone done this before? Any advice?]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 5, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not too sure I'd be worried about anecdotes when good data exists.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q3-2016/
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/

If you've never had a WD fail on you, then you have good luck. I generally buy WD and have had quite a few fail on me over the years. I think the takeaway from Backblaze's data is that there are specific models that seem to fail more than others and it is not generally linked to one manufacturer or another. Except for HGST, they seem to be consistently pretty good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also you don't need hotswappable drives on a home NAS.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's purely a convenience factor and is a huge limitation to your solutions in the home space. And call me old fashioned, but turn off any PC I have my hands in.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Twlight posted:

I'm looking to step into the at home NAS device arena, I don't mind an appliance to do it ( and would prefer it be an appliance ) though do any appliances allow for a small linux system to run on top of it ( say for some minor metrics gathering, say cacti ) If this pushes me firmly into the realm of a small form factor headless system I'd pass. It would also have to support some sort of apple backup, though from reading the last few pages it seems like this is a non issue.

Most appliance NASes have some capability to install apps that would likely meet your criteria. I haven't worked with cacti before, but Synology has a Syslog server built-in which I think cacti can query - https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/LogCenter/logcenter_desc

And again, not to mention the other apps you can install. A purpose-built Linux box obviously has more flexibility, but you could probably do what you need with an appliance.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't post in this thread often, but I am generally in agreement. I play with enough tech at work that I don't want to go home and deal with something that requires work to configure or keep running. There were definitely times when I was younger when I enjoyed doing that, but these days I generally want a more seemless/polished experience if I have to deal with it at home.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RAID1 on 6 drives seems crazy.

And yeah, raidz2 / RAID6 / SHR2. Something with 2 parity drives. 1 parity drive isn't enough for drives that large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, it's a home NAS and you can do anything you want with it. Run it in RAID-0 for all I care. Presumably you have all the data backed up anyways and parity drives just mean uptime. But if someone asks for advice, the correct answer for drives of that size is RAID-6 or RAID-10 (or their equivalents, obviously.)