Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

QuarkJets posted:

For sure, that's garbage fire design. But I don't know of any SQL engine that's immune to garbage fire designers
It's the "low barrier to entry" problem. Since MySQL is (and has been for a long time) totally free and pre-installed in a lot of environments, a larger proportion of the people who would choose MySQL as their RDBMS would make that kind of bad design. If you know better than to have oft-repeated strings as part of the key, you probably know better than to use MySQL in the first place (for the other issues that make MySQL something to avoid if you can).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Dr. Stab posted:

How do you tell that two passwords are similar based on their hashes?

You don't. You make the user enter their old password when they're changing it to a new one so the comparison can be done client-side.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

While I guess the whole point of this thread is that no one deserves the benefit of the doubt, I would hope that the system is actually "You can't reuse passwords ever (because we store the hashes for all your old passwords) and you can't use a password that is too similar to your current one (because we compare them before we compute and save the hash)."

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

A giant jackass to whom? It's meaningless text on a website, not a binding contract

A giant jackass to people who think that a CoC is a useful tool in the quest to not have the software development industry dominated entirely by giant jackasses.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

So people who haven't been driven out of the open source community by the type of behavior that Codes of Conduct would seek to limit largely don't think Codes of Conduct are necessary? Mind blown.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Ola posted:

Well if person A won't do it for person A's convenience, person B has to do it for person A's convenience. Is that more reasonable? If there is a big demand for it, performance boosts, sure. But the way Stroustrup explained it, it was a pretty niche group and they didn't have great reasons for it. And it's perhaps not the greatest example. Anyway, Stroustrup seemed like a guy with serious mass email flame war PTSD.
When person A is everyone who might use the feature, including lots of people with no experience with, knowledge of, or access to compiler development, and person B is the people who do have those things, and in fact it is their "job" (sometimes literally, sometimes not depending on the OSS-ness of the compiler) to implement things for the "convenince" of person A, then yes, that's reasonable, assuming person C (the spec committee) can properly balance the difficulty of implementing the feature, the size of the person A group, and the size of all potential person A groups that don't get what they want because resources are spent on this particular group of persons A.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

ToxicFrog posted:

As noted, while that's worse than producing an error message it's definitely better than silently emitting invalid code. IMO, silently doing the wrong thing is the worst possible failure mode for a compiler.

Right, but in Suspicious Dish's case, it didn't emit invalid code, it just didn't do exactly what they thought it would do because the feature spec is slightly confusing.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

While I kinda see what you're getting at, having the visibility of nameof(Class.Member) be different than the visibility of just Class.Member seems like the sort of thing that could have plenty of unintended consequences and might be hard to codify in a straightforward to implement rule.

Whereas "private stuff is private" is a pretty easy rule to understand.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

OddObserver posted:

Yep. https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.1-extensions/pdf/vkspec.pdf page 1425:

One of these is in fact an exponent...
And no, footnote 8 isn't on this page.

It helps a little bit that there is a space in front of the footnote superscripts and not in front of the exponent superscript, but in general that's pretty loving stupid.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Volte posted:

"Getting hit by a car being driven by a person" and "getting hit by an unmanned machine gone haywire" are in fact two different things.
I think the assumption made by people saying "it doesn't have to be safe, only safer" is that they are probably not so different that we, at least as a society, care about the difference as long as they net out to a reduction in deaths and injuries. It's true that, in a future where autonomous cars are common and manage to somehow reduce total vehicle-related fatalities, the family of the person who got hit by the autonomous car is probably going to be upset and blame autonomous cars in general ("If there had been a person behind the wheel, John would still be alive!"), and likewise the family of the person hit by a human controlled car is going to be upset and ask why the driver was so irresponsible and insisted on driving themselves instead of using an AI car.

That said, you are probably correct that if the breakdown of deaths is significantly different, then we'll have to, as a society, decide if the trade-off is worth it. As an extreme example, if autonomous cars got rid of all traffic fatalities except for kids at school bus stops, which quintupled, would that be a trade-off we'd be willing to make? Is going from 35k+ deaths (including ~1,200 children) to ~100 deaths a year, but all children, a choice our society would make?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

You say that like it's not working as intended.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

My team lead just tried to tell me that you shouldn't have the expectation of who get's what tickets beforehand before they get assigned a point value. :psyduck:
"OK, all tickets are now 240 points since we need to take into account that whoever gets them might need to spend a few months learning a new language and part of the codebase."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Tei posted:

I have heard multiple times about "identity thief" in USA - Is not a problem here in europe have

Care somebody elaborate how can even be a problem?

maybe would be a bit off-topic
Wiki Article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_number#Identity_theft

The basic idea is that the USA doesn't have an official, universal, federal identification. The Social Security Number (SSN) was originally just the identifier for one's Social Security account (the government backed "retirement" account). But then it was repurposed as an individual's taxpayer identification. And from there it became the de facto Federal identification number, used for things like military ID. But because it wasn't designed as a universal federal identifier, it has some problems. First, the SSN card itself has no identifying information, just the name and number, so anyone could take an SSN card and say "yep, this is me", and people accepting the card would be none-the-wiser, unless they checked for supporting ID, which could sometimes be fraudulently obtained using the SSN. Second, the SSN was, originally, just the ID number for your Social Security Account, not a particularly interesting piece of info, so it wasn't treated as a big secret. It was printed on all sorts of stuff, stored in plain text in ancient mainframe databases, and re-used in all sorts of other places (like employee numbers and bank customer ids; many states even used it as your driver's license number). And it wasn't particularly random, so if you knew some information about a person, like the place and date of birth, you could guess the first 5 digits pretty reliably, meaning if you had the last four digits you had the whole number.
So, a number that initially had a single purpose became used as a universal identifier, and also organizations treated it as if it were a secret that only an individual would know, when no one ever put much effort into keeping it secret. This, as you may have guessed, was a recipe for disaster.