Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Doom Mathematic posted:

Query builders reduce the temptation to build SQL queries dynamically using string operations.

so do prepared statements, and without having to translate your sql into some other framework's "native syntax" that almost does what you want but not quite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

nielsm posted:

Actually let me answer that.
Have you seen the typical search/filter function of a bug tracker? It's either 10+ fields that may or may not be filled out, or a dynamic form where you can add any number of conditions to filter on.

A possibly simpler case, I don't think I've seen a prepared statement API that accepts arrays as an input parameter type, meaning you effectively can't make "x IN :userselection" conditions without jumping through hoops. (Very basic case: Find all items that has one or more of a user-selected list of tags applied.)

idk if you're programming in java but if so, the spring jdbctemplate handles array parameters just fine

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Foxfire_ posted:

Debugging your compiler emitting bad Rust is probably easier than debugging it emitting bad LLVM

what makes you think so? the llvm intermediate representation was explicitly designed for compilers to emit, while the rust programming language was not

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

quote:

code:
# From Paul Eggert (2018-01-23):
# Perhaps San Luis operates on the legal fiction that it is at -04
# with perpetual daylight saving time, but ordinary usage typically seems to
# just say it's at -03; see, for example,
# [url]https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hora_oficial_argentina[/url]
# We've documented similar situations as being plain changes to
# standard time, so let's do that here too.  This does not change UTC
# offsets, only tm_isdst and the time zone abbreviations.  One minor
# plus is that this silences a zic complaint that there's no POSIX TZ
# setting for time stamps past 2038.

# Zone	NAME		GMTOFF	RULES	FORMAT	[UNTIL]
#
# Buenos Aires (BA), Capital Federal (CF),
Zone America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires -3:53:48 - LMT	1894 Oct 31
			-4:16:48 -	CMT	1920 May    # Córdoba Mean Time
			-4:00	-	-04	1930 Dec
			-4:00	Arg	-04/-03	1969 Oct  5
			-3:00	Arg	-03/-02	1999 Oct  3
			-4:00	Arg	-04/-03	2000 Mar  3
			-3:00	Arg	-03/-02

i'm sorry, but whatever paul eggert says your time is, that's what your time loving is

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i stopped caring around #11... if the characters in your name can't be mapped to unicode code points (or any other character set) then how exactly are you typing it on a computer? what does this guy want, a blank canvas where i can put whatever arbitrary squiggles i feel like?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

69 would be nice

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if you want your ide's static analyses to work, try using a language that isn't an arbitrary dynamic ball of mud

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

redleader posted:

if c was meant to be a portable assembly, then c compilers wouldn't do any optimising, since assemblers don't do any optimising

it also wouldn't have types

as far as i'm concerned, C doesn't have types. it has things that look like types, but really they are just instructions to the compiler on how much memory to allocate. they don't otherwise resemble an actual type system

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the thing you do with a csv is import it into postgres so you can query it with sql

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

it maps to twitter also. you can make up anything you want and pass it off as true! unless you happen to pick the one thing that is false (that day)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

gta online for ps4 takes absolutely forever to load

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Xarn posted:

Nah, that's actually beautiful code :v:

C++ code:
    template <typename FP>
    uint64_t ulpDistance( FP lhs, FP rhs ) {
        assert( std::numeric_limits<FP>::is_iec559 &&
            "ulpDistance assumes IEEE-754 format for floating point types" );
        assert( !Catch::isnan( lhs ) &&
                "Distance between NaN and number is not meaningful" );
        assert( !Catch::isnan( rhs ) &&
                "Distance between NaN and number is not meaningful" );

// We want X == Y to imply 0 ULP distance even if X and Y aren't
        // bit-equal (-0 and 0), or X - Y != 0 (same sign infinities).
        if ( lhs == rhs ) { return 0; }

// We need a properly typed positive zero for type inference.
        static constexpr FP positive_zero{};

// We want to ensure that +/- 0 is always represented as positive zero
        if ( lhs == positive_zero ) { lhs = positive_zero; }
        if ( rhs == positive_zero ) { rhs = positive_zero; }

// If arguments have different signs, we can handle them by summing
        // how far are they from 0 each.
        if ( ( lhs < 0 ) != ( rhs < 0 ) ) {
            return ulpDistance( std::abs( lhs ), positive_zero ) +
                   ulpDistance( std::abs( rhs ), positive_zero );
        }

// When both lhs and rhs are of the same sign, we can just
        // read the numbers bitwise as integers, and then subtract them
        // (assuming IEEE).
        uint64_t lc = Detail::convertToBits( lhs );
        uint64_t rc = Detail::convertToBits( rhs );

// The ulp distance between two numbers is symmetric, so to avoid
        // dealing with overflows we want the bigger converted number on the lhs
        if ( lc < rc ) {
            std::swap( lc, rc );
        }

return lc - rc;
    }

if you think this is beautiful, you got a serious case of c++ brain

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Create an applet named Vote.java that extends JApplet. This application will have three buttons: "Vote for Candidate 1," "Vote for Candidate 2," and "See Results." The user will select one of the candidates, and the applet will display TMURP

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i wrote a pure posix sh csv parser once, just to prove i could do it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if you're writing python, and you use the keyword "class", you hosed up

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ok so as you can see here on line 33, we declare the variable i to be an integer, and initialize it with the value 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

no golang code allowed itt