Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
E39 and the ZF trans -

I picked up a mostly maintenance unseen 525i 2003 recently and I am currently working on the deferred maintenance.

Did a cooling overhaul
CCV changes
New MAF

Not sure if the transmission had had a change ever. It currently has a delay into reverse I'm worried about and not sure how to change the fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
It's pretty simple but you'll need a hand pump (or similar) for the oil and a laser thermometer so you can measure the cover for when it's time to top up the oil. Try to find the sticker that is on the cover as can guide you to which fluids to get. I got the OEM ZF kit for my car, and I think the consensus when I got it was to not cheap out. Actually, from what I've read, that really goes for everything when it comes to these cars. I changed my transmission oil at about 200k km. Shifted better after.

Edit: Also be careful not to round the transmission pan bolts. Clean and put some penetrant on them first. M539 Restorations has videos of him doing it and also servicing the insides. Pelican parts have some OK guides as well.

Unrelated but don't forget to check your DISA valve so the flap isn't on its way to falling off and getting sucked into the engine.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 22, 2024

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-540i-160

There was an E39 540i touring with an S62 swap that ended at BaT today. Didn't meet reserve at $42K. I was watching this one closely. I started off ambivalent to the build and by the end of it, I probably would have bid in the 45-47 range. Doubt that would have hit reserve; I'm curious what that was.

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 26, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Word on the street is the M5 Touring is returning to the US next year, not sure if the lesser 5 models will get the same treatment but definitely a good start if true.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-540i-160

There was an E39 540i touring with an S62 swap that ended at BaT today. Didn't meet reserve at $42K. I was watching this one closely. I started off ambivalent to the build and by the end of it, I probably would have bid in the 45-47 range. Doubt that would have hit reserve; I'm curious what that was.

Nothing I hate more than dudes who are like "I put in far more than the reserve" like you ought to recoup your money on a money pit project.

edit: it is pretty dope though. don't care for the color choices myself, red leather shifter boot is jarring to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 27, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Word on the street is the M5 Touring is returning to the US next year, not sure if the lesser 5 models will get the same treatment but definitely a good start if true.

It's pretty substantiated if not outright confirmed we'll be getting the M5, yea, but not a regular 5 series touring nor the i5 Touring.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nothing I hate more than dudes who are like "I put in far more than the reserve" like you ought to recoup your money on a money pit project.

edit: it is pretty dope though. don't care for the color choices myself, red leather shifter boot is jarring to me.

Same pretty much for any car, tbqh. The last few years have turned people in to idiots who think a new car shouldn't depreciate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

It's pretty substantiated if not outright confirmed we'll be getting the M5, yea, but not a regular 5 series touring nor the i5 Touring.

I'm waiting for someone actually involved in NA product planning to confirm that. So far it's been the global design head. Design guys say all kinds of poo poo.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am fully aware no one will pay anywhere near what it will cost me to build an E91 M3. But it’s for me not others.

People are dumb

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Hello dumb question time. Since I got a separate winter tire/wheel set I plan to just put the OEM wheels/tires back on myself. Apparently I need some special pucks to not gently caress up the car when jacking it up and was wondering if anyone had a known good site to buy those from? Assuming this is all correct.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
You can buy some jack pad adapters on amazon. Nothing to overthink.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

doomisland posted:

Hello dumb question time. Since I got a separate winter tire/wheel set I plan to just put the OEM wheels/tires back on myself. Apparently I need some special pucks to not gently caress up the car when jacking it up and was wondering if anyone had a known good site to buy those from? Assuming this is all correct.

The jack points on BMWs are a rectangular slot. You just have to google "bmw jack adapter" and then get something that is metal or sturdy rubber. It's a flat puck with a chunky rectangle sticking out the top. Also, if you want to put your car on jack stands, you will need stands with a flat top, like the ESCO ones. The top of them is basically the same as the circular plate of a floor jack. I don't know if there are adapters for normal jack stands, but I don't know if I'd trust them.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I just stuff my regular jack stands into the plastic jack pads, BUT mine are already trashed. ymmv.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Moreover, the jack blocks on your car are a lot tougher than they look, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if they get damaged they're cheap and easy to replace typically.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I use a small wooden block for the jack pad.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

TheFonz posted:

loving LOL Nevermind.

Einmal noch.

2018. 5,995 Miles. Very similar Spec. Black instead of Red interior. Same wheels but full alloy instead of black/alloy. Missing the heated steering wheel. We'll see in 24 hours if the first time was bad luck or if the gods really never want me to have an M4.

I had a deposit down on a g80 - but this popped up for 1k less than I paid for the last M4. I was waffling if I wanted a brand new G80 with 4 and 6 year old kids who don't give a poo poo about being nice to daddy's car. Way more comfortable, and that just means M5 Wagon once my kids are not animals.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TheFonz posted:

Einmal noch.

…once my kids are not animals.

Is this an event that occurs?? Please report when this takes place.

Looks good, sorry about the interior color.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Milestone on the 330i. Hoping for at least another 200k more. Had 77k on it when I bought it in August.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've owned my M3 for 9 years now, I've put 19k on it in that time it and I daily drove it to work for like 5 years and take it on road trips once a year at least. That's a lot of miles since August!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have a rather long daily highway commute. Even without that I usually drive a decent amount. I've put almost 25k on my M3 in the 4.5 or however many years I've had it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I bought my E91 with 84k in 2021 and still haven’t crossed 100k (99XXX when I dropped it off this morning).

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I got my e91 in April of 2021 with 94k miles and am at 147k now. It would be higher but I drive the boxster as much as possible these days.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

15 months I've done about 8-9k with mine, though that's minus one 1k mi road trip than usual this holiday season. And my stupid job is beating the "return to office" drum so I'll definitely be putting on a lot more this upcoming year 🙄

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think I put like... 11k miles on the E39 since 2018

tbf I have put all of a total of 32k miles on all cars since 2018 so that's not too bad

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Anyone who's had an E60 and E39 M5 (or driven both) have opinions on them as a daily or frequent driver? I know there's some comparisons on google, just sourcing more thoughts. (I am aware of the reps of both cars especially the E60)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Everyone I know who's owned an E60 M5 has the general opinion of "Don't"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

M539 on YouTube owns both. The E39 was his favorite car ever until he bought the E60. It required a lot of work to get it road worthy but he loves it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I was going to say Sreten loving loves his E60, he even got a US one so he could have a manual.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i've never driven a bmw newer than the mid-00s but i've been daily-ish driving an e39 m5 for awhile now, ama

one time i had an e60 m5 as an uber and it stalled twice in a 5-ish mile trip. the guy said "oh man i hope it's ok, i just got this a couple days ago" :whitewater:

my natural impulse is that bmw + v10 + smg is a huge no go, but things are very different these days, and priorities differ

i honestly can't imagine comparing it to 400 na hp + a 6 speed but who knows

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 6, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Using your old M5 for an Uber car sure is a choice

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
e39 is a big yes.

I'm thinking about swapping my e91 for an e61 but I am brain damaged and love the smell of my garage.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sab669 posted:

i felt really bad for the guy. he was really excited about the car and had no idea what he was in for. iirc his mileage was 150k-ish and the thing was literally stalling at lights

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
My E39 has 150k on it and still feels solid as ever, really fun cruiser. Granted it's only a m54b25

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
good thing to keep in mind is that the e39 is about the size and weight of today's 3 series

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I was fixed on getting an E39 this year but how much sreten loves his E60 is actually a big factor in how much attention I started giving them. Chris harris just got one as well (E61 and his SMG blew up, lol). I would only get a manual, I'm looking for a sedan, usable back seat (for car seat), manual, not an E46 since I used to have a zhp and I want something more comfy. Something about the E90 and newer M3s don't do it for me, although the S65 sreten just restored sounds incredible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think the E60 is getting in to an era of far more complex electronics that are more difficult to fix with more catastrophic failures. It also doesn't look good to me and has the appeal of a Toyota Avalon outside of the engine.

I own an E39 M5 and constantly think about selling it because I don't drive it enough, but then I drive it and don't sell it because it's that good. It's a great car. It's comfortable, fast, has plenty of personality, and handles well. It eats up highway miles. I have an Uppababy Mesa rear facing infant seat in my E39 and it works well, although if you are really tall it might not fit behind the driver's seat with then handle folded down. Note that early cars don't have LATCH anchors (and I see conflicting information about later cars), but the belt routing works just fine.

The only real downside (other than TCO) is that it is not a razor sharp handling car - if you want to go carve up the tail of the dragon the car will do fine and be fun for a touring car but that's not its real purpose and if you are looking for that the E9x M3 is a better choice. Your ZHP is probably a better handling car in anything tight and low speed, so if that's what you do a lot of for fun it won't be a great pick.

There is perpetually something small that is wrong with the car, because it's 24 years old. Recently it had to have all the seals and hoses on the power steering unit replaced; this is common due to age. Expect to do quite a bit of refresh of suspension and other wear parts - good news is that parts are still readily available. The major catastrophic irreparable failure is rod bearings, but if you get an oil analysis done and it comes out clean you'll be fine.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Sab669 posted:

There's this guy on reddit who bought a new I4 with 0 down and 8% APR just to do Uber 45 hours a week "part time" to pay it off https://www.reddit.com/r/BMWI4/s/Mp1WjMN0Hy

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

There's this guy on reddit who bought a new I4 with 0 down and 8% APR just to do Uber 45 hours a week "part time" to pay it off https://www.reddit.com/r/BMWI4/s/Mp1WjMN0Hy

jesus h christ

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

side hustle culture is so odd to me. you're a skilled tradesman, just focus on your actual main job and you'll make way more money in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Infinotize posted:

Anyone who's had an E60 and E39 M5 (or driven both) have opinions on them as a daily or frequent driver? I know there's some comparisons on google, just sourcing more thoughts. (I am aware of the reps of both cars especially the E60)

They are one generation apart from each other but they are so extremely different. I have not driven an E60 but have had a few closer acquaintances that have had them. I have driven the E39, an extremely tidy and low mileage one. My preface; I know how this is the halo of M5 for many people. I had the experience of my E90 M3 to draw on so when I drove it there was a lot of things I liked about it. The TL/DR was that I looked forward to getting back into my E90 to drive home. I view the E90 M3 as the successor to the E39 in more ways than you would think. Interior space felt similar (M3 a little less roomy in the back). The E39 had looong gears and a wide torque band. The steering was responsive and good and you can see how the chassis had been tuned to a great balance but I would not identify it as "sharp". This is again likely due to me drawing on my E90 driving experience.

The E9X does everything the E39 does - but dialed up to "more". The gears are shorter, the steering is sharper and quicker. The suspension is a bit tighter and stiffer. Everything sort of happens faster so if you are after performance then the E90 makes a lot of sense.

The E60 has a lot of gotchas and bullcrap for the engine architecture that is found between the S65 and S85 - rod bearings and throttle actuators. There are two bonus gotchas of the E60 over the M3 counterpart with SMG pumps OR clutches (it will eat either one) and a high pressure vanos line that is different and prone to leaking.

Take care of that nonsense then you have to get over the looks. It is polarizing. The kidney grills are smol and the bangle design is a bit ugly - but it did come from the pure beauty of the E39. Five hundred naturally aspirated horses coming from an individual throttle bodied V10 will overcome a multitude of sins. It is peak naturally aspirated M5 the same way the E9X is peak naturally aspirated M3. It is expensive to maintain. It will require a bit of a "sequence" for getting in to operate. It will not be the kind of thing that will be happy if you hop in and do short 5-10 mile trips. It will need to be run out 15 or 20 miles at a minimum to be happy and the more miles you put on it with some corners the happier it will be and you will be.

In short: Buy an M3. Buy an E90 M3.