Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Whilst under the car, I found that the passenger side FCAB mount has one of the bolts about half an inch from tight, but it really didn't want to move in either direction. I'm debating trying to back it out tomorrow and replacing it, or if I should just not gently caress with it in case it decides to sheer. Two trackdays this weekend.

:catstare:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I would not do a track day like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

hey guys I hope you all had a nice Sunday!

User Error fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 12, 2017

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just got done chasing down a bunch of rich greyhairs at a PCA track day in my $4500 e36 m3. It's been very reliable and pretty good on consumables. The s52 is down on power compared to the s54 but it's much cheaper to run. The e36 subframe issues are not as bad as the e46 and are not a problem on the m3s.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The other nice thing is there will basically always be someone else (usually multiple people) with one, so you kinda have someone to run with and talk to about driving/setup/etc. E46 M3, not so much. I've only seen a handful of E46 M3s locally in the last two years.

Ha yeah, there were 4 of us I think. One had an s54 swap. Second time I've seen one of those in as many track days. Unfortunately this was my first track day with the Porsche club so I got stuck in a different run group than the other e36 guys.

User Error fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 24, 2018

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

My sunroof motor cover disintigrated and fell out overnight. It's moments like this that make e36 ownership really special.

e: jesus christ $70 for a new one.

User Error fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 31, 2018

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Popete posted:

My e36 C Pillar plastic cover won't stay on and so is hanging along with some of the roof fabric on both sides. It's really bugging me but I don't wanna spend the $135 for a piece of plastic.

Automotive Insanity > This is a BMW Thread. It's really bugging me but I don't wanna spend the $135 for a piece of plastic.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I’m going to go look at an e30 tomorrow and I feel like a goddamn kid on Christmas Eve

E: somehow my wife is onboard despite me already having 2 e36s. I picked the right one.

User Error fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 26, 2019

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Suck it poors

actually suck it me, I way overpaid for how much work this thing needs. I'll just keep telling myself that I always wanted to learn to weld sheet metal and that it's value is appreciating anyways.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
'90 325i, 5 speed, 164k on broken odometer (supposedly has 180k but who knows). Rust by rear tow hook, passenger side rear wheel arch, and driver floor/jack point. Pretty similar to, but not as extensive as this one: https://jalopnik.com/how-i-saved-my-project-bmw-e30-from-rust-oblivion-by-le-1829478821

However the top side is in great shape, the engine runs and sounds great, and it came with Bilsteins and some type of after market springs.

Paid 3700

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

Fixing the odo is easy - just buy new gears and pull the cluster.

Ya, gonna do that this week. I'm real smart buying a rolling project with a 9 week old baby at home. So much free time to work on stuff.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
E30 update

lol

User Error fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 3, 2019

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
$3400 driveshaft every 50 hours? Wtf

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?lang=en

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
no buy a 29 year old German car with hidden rust issues

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
you could buy 3 really nice e36 M3s or 10 really lovely ones for that price. One of them will probably be blue.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Pretty stupid but I'd do it if it was cheap enough. e46?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Stupid e36 M3 is the most reliable car I've owned and yet it never fails to throw a check engine light THE DAY I decide to get safety/emissions inspections done. gently caress you, car.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If it was anything like mine it would magically heal itself the more I drove it. I would fill the tank up. Some time later would get the CEL, and a quarter tank later the light would go off.

I suspect the light might have been faulty and was on its way out since it was on so often.

p0188 and p0189. Maybe it needs new intake boot electrical tape.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm sure this will be controversial but I might prefer all seasons as the weather where I am is very temperamental. E92 non sport package, and just a daily driver.

I really like the A/S3+s on :siren: My M3 :siren: for daily driver duty.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Could make a good track rat and that's a good price. Just understand that the interior will always be lovely and be sure to budget 1500 or so to catch up on maintenance - control arms, water pump, belts, hoses, bushings, wheel bearings, fluids, guibo, driveshaft maybe. E36 m3's are great fun and aren't getting any cheaper.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
is it supposed to be chunky like that

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I love when I go to replace the driveshaft in my e30 and find that the subframe bushings are all dry rotted and the brake lines are rusty as hell. Neat. Some day I'll run out of stuff to fix on this car.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
My e36 M3 is my backup car for when the e30 is broken, works out great.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Why buy one newer car when you could buy 8 e36s?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Big Taint posted:

The E36 is great, the poo poo interior was mostly on early E36 cars and none of those are M3s. Get one.

Eh, my '97 has a pretty dogshit interior. Mechanically it's been great other than the GDCS. A lot of them have issues with the VANOS variable valve timing but I guess I've been lucky. Still sees occasional track days with 190k miles.

Buy one, upgrade the radiator, install poly bushings and good brake pads, and go chase down Porsches on the track.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Big Taint posted:

Nice man the price isn’t as crazy as I assumed it would be either.

ooh, how do you like the Knipex wrench pliers?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone have experience with aftermarket bumpers? The paint on mine is really hosed up and a body shop guy said it may be cheaper just to get new ones. Harder to find a cheap M-Sport pair.

I put one on my e36, it's not perfect but fine for a 200k mile car.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Lmao I am never buy a BMW newer than my e36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Toyota's marketing department has clearly done their demographic research and determined that dudes who turned 11 the year The Fast & The Furious came out are all having their second child around now

Oh that's why I thiink XXXtreeem TRD Camrys are dumb, I was 14 when F&F came out.