Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Well BMW Goons, today I made a terrible financial decision and became one of you. I just got what I think is a decent deal on a 135i convertible with a 6-speed.

I'm sure eventually I will catch up on chassis and engine codes, but drat if this isn't the best loving car.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

rscott posted:

E8x are great, what year and how many miles? I love mine when something isn't breaking every 3 or 4 months

2012, 57k.

I was on the list for a GR Corolla when I realized I live right next to work in a very walkable and bicycle friendly area and I don't need a new reliable car with a warranty for a commute anymore. I can buy a car I love unconditionally for half the price of a new one that has compromises and if my mechanic needs a week to sort out the VANOS or some electrical gremlin it doesn't really affect my day to day life.

I did Valet parking at a pretty fancy restaurant about a decade ago and that experience made me promise myself that I would have a BMW someday because I find their intersection of performance and luxury perfect.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 17, 2022

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Just wait until you see what Porsche’s been doing

Oh I am well aware. I was cross shopping E88s with Carrera Cabriolets, but my desire to have a dog and have a place for the dog, wearing doggles and a scarf while having room for another human won out.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I'm looking at MMI interface boxes to add Android Auto to my E88. There seem to be several brands ranging from a couple hundred to seven hundred dollars. Does anyone have any particular experience or recommendations about these?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I was looking at the Android Auto MMI boxes and it looks like most of them plug into the AUX port, but there's one that connects internally to the CD changer optical input. I'm guessing that enabling the CD Changer will require some computer jiggery but is this something that is easy to have done?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The charge pipe on my 135i just broke and I'm stuck in Eureka, California where nobody has a replacement in stock.

I've been advised against driving it like this as the turbo could over spool but is there any sort of temporary fix I could do to get to civilization?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That’s out there. How broken? Could you cover it with a piece of thick rubber hose and a couple clamps to limp to the nearest parts department?

Maybe research if staying out of boost keeps you out trouble?

The flange that connects to the engine is mostly blown off and the hose clamp is gone. A better friend than I deserve is picking up the part in the bay area and driving up here.

I drove it uneventfully for quite a while since it happened even further out in the boonies but the service advisor that just happened to be at the closed BMW dealership here said he wouldn't recommend driving it further since it can over spool the turbo.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Absolutely loving my E88. It's my first convertible and I thought the magic might wear off right away but it hasn't.

It was actually the perfect first BMW because even though it's a rag top it's no louder on the freeway than the Fiesta ST it is replacing. I'm sure if I went from a well-sorted hardtop all the wind noise and little occasional creaks would bug the poo poo out of me, but as is it's a 100% upgrade in everything but practicality.

Once I get my backyard parking situation completed and have covered parking for two cars I'm thinking of hunting down a 3 or 5 series wagon because I make the best financial decisions.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Man, I love the manual transmission on my 1 series, but I pulled a hamstring in my left leg last week and drat I'm lucky I have a second car with an automatic.

The BMW is like doing leg presses.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Makes sense; no kids, just dogs for me, so I guess I would feel more obligated for at least a 2+2... but I really want 2 doors, 2 seats, more than 4 cylinders, and no roof for a weekend fun car.

Nothing can quite beat the joy of driving my E88 down the freeway with the dog in the back wearing doggles absolutely leaning into the wind.

Love my baby bulldog BMW.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 27, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I've been having trouble with the fob for my 2012 1 series being registered by the car for automatic locking and pushbutton start.

Occasionally I have to practically hold it against the dash or the door, which sort of defeats the purpose of those functions.

I replaced the battery recently, though it was with a no-name brand. Are they picky about batteries? Is it just dying and I should look for a replacement?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Absolutely. It's on my list of things that if a car, no matter the price, excludes it's just to be an rear end in a top hat and upsell packages.

Keyless entry and start, automatic headlights, cruise control, automatic climate controls, and android auto should just be considered basic equipment for anything other than fleet trim work vehicles.

The cost to install them on every vehicle has to be similar to the cost of having a second set of tooling for a poverty spec model, but that doesn't sell $3k options packages now does it?

Even the cheaper version where you have to press the little handle button to both lock and unlock the doors was a no going back moment when I got my Fiesta ST.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 24, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I love my E88, it is a truly joyful vehicle. I love driving it, my dog loves riding in the back and biting the air at 85mph (with her doggles on of course). The M sport exhaust makes glorious noises but unlike some aftermarket fart can it doesn't bother the neighbors.

Every now and then I think about selling it and going down to just one utilitarian vehicle, but then I drive it with the top down on a warm summer evening and I stop thinking such things.

I'm sure eventually the novelty will wear off, hopefully before I get hit with a massive repair bill, but for now I am in love.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I paid for the whole tachometer, I'm going to use the whole tachometer.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

That reminds me I have to submit the paperwork for my "E88+N55" license plate.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Indeed, it is eternally relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I absolutely love my E88 convertible, but then I'm not terribly picky and mainly love being able to hear the happy burbles the exhaust makes better.