Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I drove a Z4 M Coupe today on a whim. Fantastic car, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

It's a 2007 leftover, 98 miles on it. I'm in no real position to buy but I'm wondering what the going rate for a car like that is these days. I know there was a good deal of trunk money and it seems like there aren't enough people interested in them. They were basically tripping over themselves when they found out I was actually interested in it (mentioning the Cayman S helped :) ) and convinced me to test drive it.

It's fully loaded with a bunch of crap I don't really want or need with an MSRP of 59k. I've read that they were going for 38-43k last year around this time. Is that what I could expect now or are the dealers more desperate than that to get rid of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

two_beer_bishes posted:

It's incredible! I test drove one last summer and without even asking they knocked off $10k instantly...

It's killing me because I don't actually NEED new car but gently caress if that isn't some value for money. When they found out that I've been to the track recently they made sure to tell me the 4 year/50k mile warranty will cover that. I like to think I'm decently prepared to talk about a car, even when I don't set out that day to look at a particular car but that genuinely surprised me. The sales manager went as far as saying it's like having a pit crew, except free.

I've had a love affair with the Cayman for over a year now but I'll be the first to admit I'm a cheap bastard and the price difference is staggering. I don't think it's a stretch to say I could walk out with a loaded 2007 M Coupe that's new for less than a "base" 2006 Cayman S with a few miles on it.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

It was only a matter of time... the Elise is kicking my rear end in the Phoenix heat and I'm looking for something a bit easier to live with that can get me to and from work reliably.

I know an Accord would be much, much more practical but I was hoping you guys could fill me in on some information about a 3-series. I'm looking to spend about 5-7k and wanted to know what the best option would be. I assumed it would be an e36 but a quick glance at ebay last night showed a few e46s under 9k. My only real requirement for my not-Elise is RWD, manual, good A/C and something that won't break all the time. Power isn't too much of a concern as long as it doesn't feel anemic when you try to accelerate with the A/C on (would this rule out the 323?)

Are sedans generally going to be cheaper than coupes? Are there some trouble years I should look out for or should I just be looking at the newest car I can afford with the lowest miles? Would an e36 M3 be overly hopeful in my price range (of course with the intent being trouble-free miles)?

If my budget starts creeping above 10k my eyes will probably start to wander towards a 2004 RX-8.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

SlapActionJackson posted:

Just this one demonstrating that it will baby.

I'll try to grab some more later.

E:

You are a true hero.

What cars have you owned in the past and how does the F80 compare? I need something with actual back seats and a manual. The F80 is on my short list.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Modus Man posted:

How bad of an idea is a 2008 e60 m5 with no warranty? If I have access to a lift and the Internet as a resource, how bad will maintenance be? I don't mind doing major maintenance myself and taking my time to do it as this would be a third vehicle but is there some stuff that someone with no prior bmw knowledge just won't be able to do?

If the answer here is a resounding "get out" and "never look back". I will know to end my research here. My basic googling skills have told me that a tranny failure is $15,000 and a blown motor due to vanos failure is $20,000 but that can't possible be accurate today can it?

Run, don't walk away. For some reason the S85 has major reliability issues while the S65 typically does ok to 100k miles (ish).

The cost of the transmission and engine will not go down just because the car is aging. The only thing going down is the value of the car. It's still a $100k M5 when it rolls into the shop for maintenance.

To put it another way, there's a reason why a sedan with a V10 that saw widespread praise can be had for $25k. If you really want an e60 M5 get one from Carmax and purchase their 6 year 125k mile warranty. If you don't mind driving an X1 loaner from the BMW dealership once a month that's the frugal enthusiast's pick.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

If you have the means get one. I'm glad I didn't lease because I have no intentions of getting a new car in 3 years. Did a 1,200 mile road trip last weekend and even without a 7th gear it was great on the road. It wasnt as frugal on gas as my old E46 M3, but it managed around 26-28mpg at 3,200rpm/85mph the whole way. Of course that gas mileage went to poo poo as soon as we got to some back roads, but its worth noting the car holds its own there as well. Turbo lag exists, but in sport plus throttle its drat near unnoticeable. (Less so in the lighter throttle settings)

The only thing I'd warn is that the car is really tail happy, which most people seem to be into, but some would probably find off putting. Expect to replace your 275 rears twice as often as the fronts.

I'm surprised they made it tail happy. I'm perfectly ok with that on a front-engined RWD car.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. There's a good chance this is what I end up with. Is it possible/realistic to test drive an M3/M4 prior to purchasing or do I need to find someone local to give me a ride?

I'm not sure how I forgot about this car but the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is seriously tempting. I mean, Italian sedan with Ferrari-derived engine should be enough to make a sane person run in terror but it seems like such a compelling option. I think I read ~1500kg which is quite a bit lighter than the F80/F82 and it has a touch more power. I have to assume depreciation will hit those cars HARD though. Between that and expected base price of ~$70k I think it may be a bit much for me.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Dislike button posted:

If it comes out at $70K before any incentives you may be able to get a screaming deal on one as a lease. I know Maserati is desperately trying to sell their cars to the point their nationally advertised lease on the Ghibli SQ4 is $814 per month / 36 month / 10K miles on a $87K MSRP vehicle. Depending on how the residuals work out I could see a payment in the $600 range for the Alfa. Personally, I would never buy a car like the Alfa as the depreciation is going to assuredly be catastrophic and it doesn't seem like the kind of car you'd want to maintain out of warranty.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand leasing (unless your company or business pays for it). Maybe I haven't been caught up in a situation where a newer car saw a lot of depreciation. I sold the Boxster Spyder for $4k less than I paid after two years but I suppose that was a special case.

The math just never seems to work out. Admittedly with a conventional loan you pay more while you have the car but you typically recoup more of it after the sale. With leases it's just all gone, forever (plus damages or over mileage). I've just never been in a situation where I lost a lot of money between the purchase and eventual sale of a car. Maybe I'll feel that pain when I pay full price for a brand new German car and try to sell it a few years later.

Good point about the residual rate on the Alfa. Might make a better CPO car in 2-3 years? Unfortunately we need people that do not fear depreciation to buy them. It's tough to shake a reputation it seems.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Keyser S0ze posted:

With knowledge of money factors, residuals, and the ability to put up to 7 multiple security deposits down that are refundable and basically earn you interest, 3-year leasing a mid-to-higher end BMW makes perfect sense and mostly, cheaper than buying. Especially if you don't want to own the car after the warranty/maintenance expires.

Interesting... I guess I'll need to research the refundable security deposits for a lease?

When the time comes I plan to trade my current car and let's just say it'll be, roughly, half of what the F80 will cost. In that case, financing the rest over leasing is going to be the proper course of action, correct?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Beast of Bourbon posted:

My dealer just asked me to confirm I want to get called "very soon" for the M2 orders.

Any information out and about there on them? Apparently I'm at the top of their list and they're a pretty sizeable on in the Bay Area.

let me google that for you

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

I'll cross post this from the ride thread.

I think the 2016 F80 sounds just dandy.

http://youtu.be/IR3r_MGLG8M

I'd classify that as "fine" or maybe "slightly unpleasant" but the problem here is the F80's two predecessors are known for their amazing induction and exhaust noises.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Crustashio posted:

I'm gonna be the odd man out, but don't build a nice track car unless your are completely ok with walking away from a wreck. Or can get agreed value insurance for every track day.

I actually wish I had bought an NA/NB miata over my m3. Everything for that chassis is so god drat cheap in comparison, and there are lots of ways to make stupid power if you want.

But I still vote s65.

At the very least, make sure you have special track insurance at an agreed value (and get it appraised). My last track car had as much in mods as the car cost, nevermind the hundreds of hours of labor, and it was all smashed to bits in a moment.

Also, do this project. Best idea ever.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

sofullofhate posted:

No mods aside from an M3 intake conversion with a cone filter (because of the noise).

I painfully feel Crustachio's point. This is why option C is "buy a [Miata|Datsun 510|240Z] and throw box flares, and roll cage, and an Audi V8 in it" or something equally ludicrous - I could easily sell the M and finance such a project, and probably wouldn't cry too much if I wadded it. The M, on the other hand, will be like another $30k and two years' work. And yeah, it would be the most amazing M Coupe ever, but I would cry - a lot - if I wadded it. So realistically I would probably build the Z4M+, take it to a single track day, have a moment where I'm looking out the passenger window at a rapidly approaching wall (or wall-track-grass-track-wall-track-grass...), drive it home, and then start building a track car.

Maybe that's not so bad. :xd:

That's something I struggle with when contemplating my next track/fun car. I had so much fun building up my Elise to be a 275whp screamer and I want to do it again but I'm not crazy about putting that much money at risk on the track. All it takes is one careless owner to leave a pool of fluid on the track.

I will be limited to one impractical car so I'm having a hard time finding a good balance between cheap track car that I don't mind wrecking and something I'm passionate about. Those two ideas conflict in a big way.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I've heard cooling on FI S54 engines is a big concern if it's going to be tracked. Probably a lot cheaper than a swap though. But you don't need to buy a whole M3 for the engine... http://goo.gl/keebM1 Do it! Be different and awesome!

Imgur is being difficult but some of my old pictures are in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683998

If I ever do forced induction on a track car there's no doubt in my mind it will be supercharged though. That dyno plot made me so happy and it was such a joy to drive hard. No surprises anywhere in that powerband.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the S2000 is on my list of cheap track cars. I think competing in something like NASA TTC could be fun and possibly keep me from spending too much. I'd really like to field an e46 M3 in TTB but I'm planning on an e90 M3 as a daily and I'd rather not have two M3s. There's too much good stuff out there.

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 2, 2016

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

gently caress these guys.

loving agreed. They put a HUGE dent in the supply of low mileage e46 M3s a couple years back and do their best to drive up values on specific models/options by controlling supply.

However... if you're loaded and absolutely love e46 M3s (meaning you don't mind spending a few bucks) they're fantastic for peace of mind because nearly all of their cars get Inspection II done if they're within 10-15k miles of needing the service. I have a buddy that has owned 5 or 6 of them and his latest purchase (albeit not from Enthusiast Auto) was a 30k mile example and he didn't mind paying the extra $5-6k. It kindly shares the garage with his F430 Scuderia.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

They (helped) drive the price of clownshoes up as well, especially the s54 ones. I think for the most part, the low mileage ones they have are going to go to collectors and just be garage queens. I don't know many people who'd pay the premium they ask and then daily the car, or track it.

Yeah the days of a cheap S54 clownshoe are probably gone. I was starting to consider one of those goofy bastards as a track/fun car. The Z3 M Roadster with the S54 is still affordable though. Z4 M Coupes are still in the low 30s as well.

I had a crazy idea to take one of the S52 clownshoes and put an ESS supercharger on it to get it up to the S54 level but you're still looking at $25k and I'm not sure I'd want to own the old one knowing I really wanted the S54.

Cojawfee posted:

Have they really bought so many that they can control the price of the cars?

I think so. Most of their stuff is under 60k miles and you can certainly find them here and there on forums or perhaps a nationwide autotrader search but rarely all in one place like their site. There are some over 60k but they seem to do a good job of listing all of the services done prior to going for sale.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Does it seem like E90 M3 prices are going up or am I just imagining things? Maybe as I get closer to purchasing a car my requirements get a little crazy (manual, sedan, 09+, preferably less than 45k mi) and that drives the price up.

Separate but related, is it insanity to own an E9x M3 without a warranty or is it typical BMW forums garbage where a few vocal people drown out a majority of owners that have few issues?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

How do you and I keep ending up looking at basically the same poo poo? I'd probably be on the E90 train too but I don't want to spend that much at the moment.

We need a support group. I was all over the drat place until I found out my wife was pregnant and my options narrowed significantly.

I think the airbag recall idea might be right. This is going to suck. Maybe buying a car with the open recall isn't a solid idea at this point.

What else lives in the same realm as an E90 M3? When your criteria is manual, sedan, and RWD your options shrink considerably. The best alternative I've come up with in that range ($35-40k cap) is a Cadillac CTS-V. That's a lot of car for $35k but I'm not sure I want to own a drat Cadillac. What else is out there?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Because there isnt a person on this earth who wouldnt say no to an E9x M3.

Absolutely no person.

Over the last year or so, at some point or another, we've both considered a 996 Turbo, 997 everything, I think a GT350, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

But yes, the E9x M3 is so perfect in so many ways.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

I haven't exactly been looking at E46's very long, but since it would seem that EAG has the non-molested manual market locked the gently caress up, the E9x is looking better and better. It looks like $30-35k can get you cars with similar mileage in similar condition.

I have a buddy that bought an e46 M3 with 32k miles for $26k last year. At the time I thought he was insane paying that much but now it's looking like a bargain. Honestly if I didn't need to fit a rear-facing car set in the back I'd probably be looking at an e46. I think the E90 is just big enough to handle one without forcing the front seat too far forward but I don't get the impression the e46 can accommodate.

But a manual E90 with less than 50k miles is looking to be in the 35-40 range now. Which is fine really... I haven't found anything else on the market that can do what it does. It's worth a few bucks to find a good example and I feel like they've done a majority of the depreciating that they're going to do. It also opens up my budget for a track car next year.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

I'm looking to pick something up within the next year or so and can't decide between an E92 (or possibly an M4) and a Cayman GTS. That V8 is calling to me, but the E92s aren't getting any younger and the fact that Porsche's moving to Turbo-4s is making me lean towards the Cayman.

A friend of mine talked me out of getting a new M3 by saying it would depreciate enough in two years to buy a nice S2000.

If you're trying to decide between the E92 or a 981 GTS I'd get the Porsche every single time. If I didn't need functional back seats I'd be searching for a 997.2 C2S. Four years ago I bought a Boxster Spyder and it was simply phenomenal. Brilliant on the track and compliant on the street. It was my daily driver for two years. The 981 GTS would be very similar. Personally I couldn't bring myself to spend the 70-80k most of them are going for but I tend to shy away from newer cars unless they're going to hold their value (which the Spyder did). Staying with the Cayman family I'd pick up an R with LWB for low 60s if I had to spend that much. Low 50s gets you a manual Spyder with buckets. If I had 75-80 to spend on a Porsche right now I'd hand it to the first 997.1 GT3 I saw in that range that passed PPI.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Are 997.1 GT3's really that affordable now?

(Apologies for the hijack)
They got affordable for a minute and then people started losing their poo poo on any 911 that was old or special. Any 997.1 under 80 is going to have some miles (50-60k) which is perfectly ok on these motors as long as they're not track miles. At this point you're buying the previous owners more than the car. Most are in the 80 range with lower miles going for the 90s. I see some in the high 70s every so often and use that as justification think to myself I still have a chance...

They have stout engines but god forbid if something does actually go wrong with it. Engine rebuilds are in the high 20s/low 30s depending on the shop and transmissions are somewhere in the neighborhood of 15. If you can afford two you can run one, etc. etc.

Residency Evil posted:

Any chance you have PMs or an e-mail? Don't want to clutter the BMW thread up with Porsche talk.

pr0kjayhawk/gmail

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I'm in the process of an unexpected move and need to make room in the garage. I sold my 545i a couple years ago but traded it in with my snow tires and wheels so I still have the stock sport pack wheels and tires. Worked great when I took them off the car, they've just been tucked away in the garage until now.

Standard sport pack wheels:
18 x 8.0 front
18 x 9.0 rear

Tire sizes:
245/40R-18 front
275/35R-18 rear

Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

$400 shipped in the continental US
If you're local to the Denver area or care to pick them up we can work out a deal.

Pictures:

Large version of all pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/7iWDl/all

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

Ran across This beautiful machine in my E46 search.

:circlefap:

I want it

Holy gently caress. Do it! That's less than half of what you were looking to spend and it would be a complete riot.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

Ran across This beautiful machine in my E46 search.

:circlefap:

I want it

Did anyone save the ad or the pictures for this car? I just liked looking at the pictures.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

sooo loving ugly. aren't those engines absolute poo poo too?

As someone that owned a 545i for 9 months I would say run. They didn't figure out how to make that engine not piss oil everywhere until the 550/4.8L. The one I bought had a ton of preventative maintenance (with receipts) on the engine and it managed to leak oil from 3 major places within 8k miles.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Any decent forums for e46 M3s? m3forum.net seems ok but everything else I've come across is a drat trainwreck. Looking more for technical information and developments and less "new eBay halos installed."

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Someone here needs to have contrary/wrong opinions otherwise it just turns into an echo chamber.

I love the S54 for what it was/is but trolling BMW nerds with a Chevy-powered ///////////M is pretty drat funny. Also ChevE46 is the best.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

drat, I'm in the market for an E90 M3. 2008 is the only year they had the crappy low-res CCC iDrive unit. If it had no nav I'd be interested. Does it have no nav?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I'm finally getting serious about picking up an E9x M3. I realized the front airbag recall is still a major concern because BMW have been slow to roll out the replacements. When I was single I would have shrugged it off as no big deal but I have a family now so I feel like this should be a bigger thing. I see plenty of people driving them around and doing a random sampling of 15 cars currently for sale only one of them had the airbag recall performed. Should I wait until I can find one that has the recall performed? I'm already looking for something with low production numbers (sedan, not black/white/gray, 6MT) so this could make the search incredibly frustrating.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Dislike button posted:

I had to google the Evora clutch thing, that's absolutely insane. I'll be sure to add it to my list of cars to avoid.

How is that possible??? It's a drat Camry engine and some Toyota diesel truck transmission.

edit:

HandlingByJebus posted:

Ordered a set of Hawk HT 10 pads for the Brembos that are going on the Z4M. I suspect that I'm going to be very impressed with the difference in stopping power and pedal feel once this change is made.

Now looking for a decent machine shop to take 5mm off of the mounting lugs on the front calipers, per RallyRoad's spec. :getin:

Your car is going to be god damned awesome. I hope I don't live anywhere near you so I'm not tempted to pick one up as a track car.

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 9, 2016

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

EAG can die in a fire. It was a neat concept at first but greed has taken over. Are people actually paying anything near their asking prices?

BraveUlysses posted:

springs dont wear out

they're not worth a premium but the alcantara interior is nice if it's in good shape. if you can find one that's priced about equal to a normal 330i they aren't a bad purchase. a lot of these cars are owned by idiots who think they're unicorns. they most certainly arent.

a regular sport model 330i + aftermarket limited slip is infinitely more fun.

Spec E46 is becoming a thing on the east coast. It would be nice if NASA or one of the local groups here in Arizona picked that up within a couple years. I'll need a project/track car in a few years when I'm done with babies in the house.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Is the Arizona car track scene even any good? I know for motorcycle trackdays the pace is much lower than California and there is little to no trackside support in terms of suspension, tires, or national class coaching (other than YCRS @ Inde during the winters). I don't even really bother unless I can't make California days.

I don't have much to compare it to. When I was big into the local track day scene with my Lotus I just did DEs and didn't get into the TT/race group. Based on what I saw, probably not super competitive. Just a guess though.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Space Boring rear end Grey Metallic means you can drive 100mph everywhere, be louder than an M2, and get zero tickets. Also I haven't washed it since August, so that's a bonus, but Cop-Grabber Blue is still very sharp.

Where was that taken? I just bought an E90 M3 in the Bay Area and plan to take PCH on my way back, I'd like to find some fun detours.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The only tickets I get anymore seem to be from red light cameras and speed vans, and those don’t care what color the car is. They grey looks pretty sharp, but my heart said blue.

I got my M2 from a dealer in LA and was planning to fly down and take the PCH back up but they couldn’t get the paperwork didn’t get done in time for me to register it in Oregon so I ended up having to ship it up. Very bummed that I missed out.

Yeah that's a real bummer. I'd be lying if I said part of the car's appeal was it was in northern California and I get to drive PCH down the coast. I did that with the Boxster Spyder in 2012 and it was absolutely epic.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I just stalked your previous posts in the thread because I don’t remember you posting about it before. Looks like you’ve considered one for a while! How did you decide on ‘the one’? I got mine exactly a year ago and got it out of the east Bay Area (Danville). It’s been everything I wanted in a car. I truly love it. Post pics and details as soon as possible.

After years of toying with the idea of getting an E9x M3 I was finally able to decide on one when I realized my perfect spec (E90, blue, manual, well maintained) wasn't likely to happen. Once I decided that a wrap was an acceptable substitute the field of cars really opened up. Oh, and I have a second kid on the way so the GT350 has to go (the 16 step process of getting my son in the car now is wearing thin). That's what really drove the purchase - the GT350 is better in almost every other way except lacking rear doors. (I know it probably wouldn't sell well but what a missed opportunity to make a 4-door Lincoln on the Mustang platform with the Voodoo engine.)

Ether Frenzy posted:

That is California Route 23, aka 'Decker Canyon Road', on the western side of Malibu (connecting to the PCH.) I prefer the Westlake Village-Malibu direction (downhill), but both ways are fun and there's some great roads at the top of the mountains going perpendicular to Decker as well, that pic is taken near the end of the downhill run. Latigo Canyon is also close by, it's a very cool road with great views but the surface is poor. Decker is unblemished new-ish asphalt nearly the whole run, and quiet if you're there at the right time. Topanga Canyon Road is too busy and nothing like as flowing/fun as those two, but it has some good tunnels to blast through with the windows down.

I'm not sure if it's opened again after the recent round of fires here, but Little Tujunga (which is more like north of Pasadena - not exactly PCH, but you can get there sort of on the way) is fantastic too. I prefer Decker because it hits the S65's sweet spots forever and ever, you can be constantly going for it with verve without accumulating too much speed - on Little Tujunga it's very easy to get going far too fast as you wring it out into 4th.

https://vimeo.com/205473283

When are you going to come through? There's a place in Lake Balboa that has Race Gas (non-leaded, not real race gas, but high octane) that won't foul your cats or injectors that's about midway between either Decker or Little Tujunga...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'd like to plan my hotel stay around some canyon drives but we'll see how it goes. Planning on heading out in a week or two.

Xealot posted:

If your way back involves going south towards LA, as of a month ago the PCH was shut down for a few miles between Big Sur and Ragged Point. I was going the opposite direction, and had to divert to the 101 to avoid the closure...which was a happy story because I discovered the excellent Nacimiento-Fergusson Road which was great and fun if inefficient.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I saw that portion closed on Google Maps, kind of a bummer but it might be a good opportunity to check out that road.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Just realized I never updated the thread. I picked up an E90 back in February and had a wonderful drive down the coast of California.

I've hyped this car up to be the ultimate daily driver sedan and for the most part it's lived up to all of that. The PO was a cool dude. He did a ton of preventative maintenance including the rod bearings, 60K mile service, and fixed almost everything that came up during a PPI. Then decided to sell it after six months because he didn't like it and bought an ND instead. Works for me.

Loving it so far. Super pumped that I don't have to do a 14 step dance to get my son in and out of a car seat.

My garage is looks good but the GT350 is now up for sale.

If anyone is wondering - the GT350 is better in almost every way but it can't really do family work anymore. When my son used an infant car seat my wife was able to comfortably sit up front but the toddler seats in rear-facing configuration are incredibly bulky so I wasn't able to do family trips anymore. I like being able to take the whole family on a trip in my car so the GT350 had to go.

The GT350 has the edge on power (holy gently caress), shifter feel, ride quality, exhaust sound, quiet cabin (it's shockingly quiet with the windows up and exhaust valves closed on the highway), seats, track performance, and reliability/warranty. The M3 has better clutch feel, smoother power delivery, engine revs CRAZY fast (still haven't figured out heel-toe work yet), better turn-in feel, better steering, and it's more practical.

I lost ~110hp/130tq going to an M3 but I don't really miss it on the street. I think I'm done with crazy horsepower cars for a while. If the GT350 didn't have an obnoxious exhaust that made fun noises at 20mph I might have lost interest sooner. I'm actually looking forward to getting an S2000 or N/A Lotus so I can beat on it everywhere and not actually go that fast.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Nice! Did you get a chance to hit any of the SoCal roads on your way back down? (or was it up?)

Yeah, I did a canyon run in San Bernardino. Took Hwy 16 up to Crestline and then 138 up to Cajon Junction. I used to do that drive with Aeka 2.0 waaaaay back in the day.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take PCH much on the way down since I wanted to meet up with some friends that night. I ended up taking 101 south for a decent stretch and it was pretty nice. Lots of vineyards that I didn't know about. I also made a stop at Laguna Seca because I just love that place. I happened to drive by the track years ago when I picked up a Boxster Spyder so I made sure to build that into my plan this time.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Awesome. I will have to try that road out (I vaguely recall SoCal crew talking about those Bernadino canyons before I had a car worth driving on them years ago) and I tended to stay further west/near Malibu last year since all the canyons to the north and east were iffy to bother doing an hour or more of dull freeway driving to in case they were closed due to fires.

Hard not to enjoy driving down the 101 on the coast even if you didn't get to do PCH itself, Laguna is definitely on my list of spots to get to. Did you hit a track day or is there some sort of tourist drive type session available?

Welcome to the Space Grey Metallic club (best color) (all the E9x M3 colors are great). Cool to hear the rundown on the variance between this and the Ford modern version of essentially the same car.

My impression is the canyon roads around Malibu are absolutely amazing. The drive up Crestline was fun and scenic but not particularly challenging. I only spent a few minutes at LS as a tourist. Picked up a couple things from the souvenir shop and spent a few minutes watching the track day. Someday I will do an HPDE there...

It's funny, I got the car despite the color. The production numbers for an LCI 6sp sedan were not favorable and narrowing it down to blue left me with about 500 cars. So I decided to find the most mechanically sound car at the best price and do a vinyl wrap that is closest to Interlagos Blue. Now I'm starting to think a wrap is a giant waste of money but simultaneously conflicted because gray is a little boring.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

gvibes posted:

Nice. I have pretty much the identical car, except for I have one additional car seat.

I'm about to add an extra car seat as well. Thankfully the first goes forward-facing just in time to add another rear-facing seat. How many miles are on yours and has it been reliable?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

by way of mississippi, but yeah that's me

Well done. I considered an E39 M5 but I don't have the stones for an older BMW (or the time to fix anything myself anymore) so naturally I got an E90...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I went to change the low beam on my E90 today. Step 1: Remove access panel. Step 2: Turn outer bulb housing counterclockwise. Step 3: Break handle of bulb housing because its old and brittle. FUUUUCK!!!!