Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I was very surprised to find out that my 320i was over 100kg heavier than my dad's Prius of the same model year. I was certain the Prius would be heavier given its almost the same size and has whole hybrid drivetrain and batteries thing going on, but nope.

Sound deadening and NVH stuff is heavy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Residency Evil posted:

Let's take our sports sedan that will never go around the track and make it worse to drive every day.

I mean that ship has already sailed by the time you get to the CS. The M5 comp and arguably the M5 both make every day driving worse from the M550i and 540i. They may as well go all out on it.

Besides, it will make one hell of a ring taxi with those rear bucket seats.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

The rear buckets are sick and I would buy one just for that if I was gently caress you rich.

Yeah, the whole car is pretty fuckin cool if you have gently caress you money.

The exclusive green paint is sick
The gold trim is (90's lexus) sick
The wheels are sick
The quad buckets is sick

Oh and the extra performance is pretty cool too.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Cojawfee posted:

That's lovely that they sold it as a CPO when it was in an accident.

CPO can have an accident on its carfax, as long as everything is straight and was repaired correctly.

At the end of the day the CPO is about the warranty extension and little else.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

My dealership just got a G82 M4 in and oh man do I like the Yas Marina interior in person way more than I expected to.

and Frozen brilliant white metallic is also very cool.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

What the actual gently caress? I showed up at my BMW dealership Saturday because I knew they would be getting delivery of a tester M3, and I showed up literally right after it was pulled off the truck - it wasn't even coded yet and the screens didn't turn on. I talked to a sales rep and they said they'd call me Monday (today) after it was coded for a test drive. I just got a call and someone bought it, sight unseen, between then and now. It's not even officially out yet. :psyduck:

Why would you be surprised that a new generation of an iconic performance car has the first few delivered cars snapped up the second they hit the lot?

I think half of my dealerships initial allotment were sold before they were even put on the boat to the US.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

The thing is that was a demo car and a dealership 90 mins away said they definitely weren't supposed to sell it yet. Guess I'll have to drive there to test drive one.

I doubt it was an actual manufacturer demo car. The current situation is that cars already at the dealer are available for sale. The customer just can’t take delivery of them until the official March 12th launch event.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Bape Culture posted:

Because it’s bad design.
Contemptuous to its heritage.
Aggressively bad marketing.
Bean counter driven.
Piece of poo poo.

It’s the gbs poster of cars.

It is bmw heritage

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_328

And

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_303#315/1_and_319/1_roadsters

kill me now fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 3, 2021

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

:perfect:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

rscott posted:

That car wasn't even touched in the interior before they shot those pictures. There's dust all over the steering column, the floor mats haven't been vacuumed, etc. for a $55k car they should be sending it to a detailer before it's even listed

Why, it’s a hot car and if someone comes in on the initial pictures then so be it.

Some dealers will put up pictures before detailing and after the car is properly detailed they will put up better pics.

Last used m3 I sold wasn’t even through reconditioning when the guy put the deposit on it. I think we had it 2 days in inventory at that point.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I mean it’s already $2k to upgrade to xdrive on the regular g20’s and the m xdrive is a definite upgrade from that.

Did you really think it would be less?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Keyser_Soze posted:

Seriously, walked into Peter Pan in San Mateo and the conversation was:
"yeah I'd like to order a 330ci sport in manual please, what is your best price over invoice of $xx,xxx,xxx"

Just FYI this is a terrible way to approach getting a good deal.

Their best price and your best price are pretty much always going to be very different and you will almost never get their best right off the bat.

Do some research and come in with a price that you think is fair, tell them you want to be at a number that is just a bit below what your real number is and see where it goes from there. If they aren’t close after one or two counter offers then leave. They will either do the deal or they wont. Anything more and you are wasting your time.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

I've never been so stressed watching a ship on a map before. It's so close!

just be ready to watch it sit at the port for a week or more

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

don't say that I have a train ticket booked for next friday :ohdear:

just as a reference I just checked on one of my dealerships cars that arrived at the VPC today on the Morning Carina and it is showing an ETA at our lot of 9/4. We are also on Long Island so the trucks pickup/dropoff is usually same day. They also usually don't have the MSO arrive until a day or so after vehicle delivery.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

My dealer is BMW of Springfield so I don't think it's physically possible for it to be closer to the VPC. Hopefully that works in my favor. When the car gets to the VPC is it still listed as at port or does it change to in transit?

The last 3 vehicle status's are "In transit to VPC (on the ship) -> At Processing Center (at the port) -> Dealer Inventory (at the dealer)"

Residency Evil posted:

Salespeople also have identical personalities, no matter what. They're just awful in every way, yet infinitely more successful in getting laid than those nerdy nerds.

:smith:

bergeoisie posted:

Ugh. My local dealer posted an M340 in Portimao Blue with pretty much the exact specs I wanted, and of course it turns out it was a custom order that they accidentally posted to the site. The sales dude had also apparently received a couple other calls about in the last hour. I don't understand why they aren't making more of these things. They seem in high demand?

It probably wasn't accidently posted to their website. Most dealers sites just automatically put up any in stock vehicle the second it is stocked in regardless of its sale status.

Also there is a global chip shortage after a year of covid related supply chain disruptions no one has meaningful amounts of anything in stock right now. My MINI dealership has as of today 0 new cars in stock and no unsold vehicles coming in until mid September at the earliest (if they don't get pre sold before they arrive) :tif:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

bergeoisie posted:

Yeah. I think I'm just surprised that the balance of cars produced allows them to have ~25 330's and 0 M340's in stock. I would expect that the margins on the M340s are better for their bottom line?

For my region right now the percentages of G20's are as follows for vehicles in any state from order bank to inventory
~76% are 330's of all types
~21% are M340's of all types
~3% are M3's of all types

You are only seeing the 330's in stock because those are what are actually in stock and available by the time they hit the showroom. The M3's and M340's are getting ordered or sold before they arrive.
10% of all 330's are showing sold
25% of all M340's are showing sold
91% of all M3's are showing sold

Right now there are only 4 unsold M340's showing in my region. They get ordered for inventory and wind up getting sold off the order sheet at some point in the 2-3 month time between order and delivery because of the demand for them.

In short the new vehicle market is completely hosed up right now, especially for desirable cars. If you actually want a car, put your order in now and deal with the wait. It isn't going back to normal any time soon and the longer you wait the longer it will take to get your car.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

I was like "how long could it possibly take for them to inspect a car and get it on a transport truck?" and then I saw how big the BMW VDC is on Google maps and holy poo poo.

That parking garage in the middle is 3 stories tall, too.

It’s probably pretty empty right now though

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

Someone on Bimmerpost had their M3 come off the same ship, go through the VPC and get onto a truck to their dealer in like 2 hours or something crazy like that. Mine still says at the port so I'm hoping they just didn't get to it yet and it's not because it has damage that needs repairing or something.

I would avoid driving yourself nuts checking it every 5 minutes. Just assume it will take a few days at minimum. Your dealer should be able to tell you what the estimated dealer arrival date is.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

I was told by both my broker and BMW Genius that there won't be an ETA until the car is released for transport, so that's basically right before it gets there. Seems completely useless to me, but what do I know?

I'd call the dealer, but the broker said not to.

Wait, your lease broker is making you pick up the car from the dealership? They aren’t bringing it to you directly?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

flightless greeb posted:

Hey so a friend of mine is buying her first new car in like a decade. Her budget is roughly 50k and she wants a manual. I moseyed on over to BMWs website and unless I am god's own fool her choices are essentially.. Nothing? Is it really just the M3 and M4 with a manual now?

Are there even any competitors to look at or is this basically a used car only game.

The other sort of bmw option with a manual is MINI. You can get any of the fwd models with a manual.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

flightless greeb posted:

Her last car was actually a mini so we were looking at those too. There's one for sale in the bay area with an MT and like a handful in the whole country lol

Maybe a mustang?? Or she can pay 45k for a new Miata oh what a woild

unless she needs it right away I would just factory order it

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Another dealer is now offering me $2,000 off MSRP for a German M340i allocation, October build.

Gonna do it!!!!!

Anybody seen Aventurin Red Metallic in person? It looks great online but I don't want it to look like Mom Subaru in person

Dravit Grey
Oxide Grey
Tanzanite Blue II

are also options available to German builds

aventurin red is a grandpa color and is much more brownish/maroon than the configurator shows.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Build date for my M340 pushed back from start of October to end of November, because everyone everywhere is out of everything

I would do yourself a favor and not constantly F5 your build status. Everything is bouncing around week to week. I've had cars show a production week a month and a half out then suddenly switch to 150 status (scheduled for or in production) out of nowhere.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I genuinely don't think the high price on every used car madness is going to continue.

I will admit, the first time someone waves fifty grand in my face for my M3 I will likely have a difficult time turning them down.

The new car market isn’t getting fixed any time soon. Since that is the primary driver of the used car market don’t expect things to change there either.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Alarbus posted:

you'd better hope that stop order is fixed soon too, what's your actual production date?

The Stop sale order isn’t on m340’s though?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Lumbar support, Harmon Kardon systems, all season tires have all been on and off unavailable over the last few months depending on model.

It’s kind of hilarious

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

But that's bondo and painted. These wheels are diamond cut so it's just raw alloy showing on the outside. I'm... skeptical.

yes, wheel repair companies can fix your curb rashed machined finished wheels. They do it all the time.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

dk2m posted:

No one is lusting after a fast SUV, people that buy it are just wealthy and don't really care how much it costs.

Take home pay for a 500K household is something like 25-27K a month, whats a $1800 monthly lease on a $120K car? Ain't poo poo.

People who buy X5M's or RS Q8's or AMG SUV's absolutely do lust after their purchases. They may have different priorities than the average AI poster but they typically aren't just morons buying it because its the most expensive/biggest number available.

source: I sold a very nice gentleman an RS Q8 last week and he was very hyped about it.

You do hit on a valid point though. When you are a very high earner it does warp your perception of what a reasonable monthly payment actually is.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

Not gonna lie I was walking away from it last night and looked back directly at the huge grille and immediately thought that's actually a really awesome looking car

Its ok, they do actually look good in person as long as they aren't parked next to an F82 M4

The stance and grill make it look mean from the front.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Orders aren't canceled, but nothing has a specific build week anymore. Maybe they're doing a big pause to get on top of things?

I just called the Genius Number and gave them my old order number and they said they can't currently comment on the status

MINI did a month long pause in August at Oxford and Nedcar to let the parts supply catch up enough so that they weren't producing at like 1/4 capacity. Maybe they are doing the same thing.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

M4 comp xDrive for $126k at my dealer lol

Is it one of the Kith ones?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Uhhh... I don't know what that means. They got Mike Tyson to do the GPS voice?

https://www.bmwusa.com/limited-edition-vehicles/kith-m4.html

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Residency Evil posted:

No one spending 80k on a car is stretching to find that last dollar.

I think?

On average, no

In reality, yes absolutely

There are 100% people living in lovely apartments who are super car poor because they spent every dollar they could scrape up on their pride and joy.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

German plant is not building 3's until January

They go on a production break every December.

There just usually isn’t a massive backlog of orders so it’s normally not a big deal.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

kronix posted:

The fact that I didn't notice this just goes to show how much BMWs current naming scheme has broken my brain. I don't even think about displacement anymore.

I mean its not as direct as the displacement based one was but having the 2nd digit indicate the amount of cylinders the engine has is helpful
3=4cyl
4=6cyl
5=8cyl
6=12cyl

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

kronix posted:

It doesn't work because the 320i is still a thing

Not anymore it isn’t.

At least not in the US

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I don’t think it’s cooling off. You just had a stupid dealership panic pay you for your allocation when there shouldn’t have been under the allusion that they could resell it for $10k over sticker on an m340i.

That’s m3 markup not m340.

Average sale prices are still high, you’re just seeing the crazy advertised gouging prices that no one was actually paying going away.

The real signal that things are cooling off is when the used wholesale prices come back to earth.

That hasn’t happened yet.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KillHour posted:

Speaking of disappointing M cars, the passenger window on my M4 is stuck down and it's the middle of winter and the dealership is closed today.

Please post a picture of the garbage back taped over the window hole TIA

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Sab669 posted:

Anyone know what motor is in the 2016 328i? Wikipedia says the '12 - '15s have the N20 but it makes no mention of the years after that :shrug: Maybe it was ITT, maybe it was a Facebook group but I think someone told me it has the B48 but I can't recall for sure...

I believe if it’s a 28i then it wouldn’t have the B48. The transition was marked by the name change to 330i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

phosdex posted:

Hello friends. I bought a cpo '22 x3 m40i about a week back. First car with Carplay, sometimes Waze doesn't update and thinks I'm still parked somewhere. This morning, it thought I was about 25 miles from where I actually was. Usually it thinks I'm still parked at home and doesn't update while I drive around. The Apple Maps and BMW nav are updating fine. Tried rebooting my phone too. Is this just a Waze thing in carplay?

It’s just a waze thing. Kill the app then open it back up and it should work fine.