Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

snugglz posted:

Dude, your car is HOT. I've been lusting over E28 and E34 M5s for a while now (along with the E30 that's always just barely out of reach)... really gotta finish my current project first tho (needs better suspension, some breathing mods and some other small stuff):

Didn't you mention you were going to sell this? Good to see that you haven't. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Has a four-door 3-series that isn't an M3 received the DCT yet?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I saw a five-door 128i by my place in san francisco last night. What the heck?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Definitely not. It looked just like this:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Galler posted:

Built in nav is pretty cool but I agree it's not worth the money. If I'm going on a trip my 4-5 year old $125 refurbished Garmin still works great and if I suddenly find myself needing a gps when I don't have my Garmin then Google maps/nav on my phone is pretty excellent.

In a Subaru or Toyota, sure, but I think the systems in the newer Audis and BMW's are absolutely worth it. You can't buy an aftermarket setup that's that high of quality, and the iDrive/MMI interfaces can't be duplicated either.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Stayed with a family friend of a band member this weekend while we were playing some out-of-town shows.

The guy had a pretty serious car collection, but the jewel of it was a black 1975 3.0CS with a full E28 M5 conversion. Engine, trans, rear, subframes, ABS brakes...everything. He did the conversion back in the early 90's with a rolled M5 donor and was surprised to find that the subframes just bolt right up, so he went all the way on it. Looked completely factory - the only thing that tips you off was the wider wheels and slightly lower stance.

It was the baddest car I've ever seen in person. Made the Ferrari & other nice things in the garage look like Camrys.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm starting to look for a solid E46 touring & a wrecked E46 M3. This is a stupid idea.

:getin:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Crustashio posted:

It's a bolt up, but there is still the matter of the electrical - he'll need to learn INPA or find someone who knows their poo poo. Not a big hurdle.

BlackMK4 is right though, you'll want a complete parts car. S54, harness, ECU, brakes, complete rear end (subframe, axles, spindles, suspension arms, brakes, etc), 6speed trans, driveshaft. You'll also want 330i front brakes...you can use the M3 fronts but you need to machine the carrier.

You could do just the S54 but that would be stupid in a 325.

Realistically, you're going to be in for more than the price of an actual M3. RWD tourings tend to demand a small premium (even autos) and complete wrecked M3s are hard to find and get parted very quickly. Once you have everything apart there will a bunch of stuff to do "while you're in there".

That said, do it. The reward will be worth the cost and if you do it properly you can actually sell it for a decent price down the road.

If I planned on doing front and rear subframes would I need to stick with a RWD touring, or would I be able to use an AWD? I'll grab the wagon first, then hunt for the donor. I absolutely plan on grabbing a complete wrecked car - fortunately there seem to be plenty of those here in the Bay Area.

An "actual" M3, while awesome, is just not useable for me. I need four doors for my dogs and a rear hatch for my music gear. I also live in a city with very limited parking, so I can't have a bunch of cars to satisfy different niche needs - I get one car and one motorcycle.

I want something that is awesome but not "precious," as it'll need to survive parallel parking and the other perils of city life without giving me an aneurism. My other thoughts were an S4 Avant, which is so rare and so expensive still that by the time I got the one I wanted it would have taken just as long and cost just as much to build as the M3 touring, and I'd be sad every time I had to street park it. The only other real option would be an STI hatch, and those are all still more expensive than either with questionable reliability.

So, since BMW makes a 3-series wagon that I love the look and utility of, and an M3 with every single performance-related box checked I could want...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Perfect, good to narrow it down. If I could find a wagon that already has a blown motor that would be just fantastic, but I should be able to get a high-mileage wagon need some maintenance for fairly cheap regardless.

I'm in San Francisco.

It seems like the swap into sedans is a fairly easy and well documented thing, and the wiring doesn't look that bad. I know that the stock shocks & springs are spec'd different on the touring vs. the sedan but I think everything is compatible across all versions and the entire M3 rear subframe should bolt up to the touring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Holy poo poo.