Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone care to comment generally on the E30 320s? Been looking at a "fun" car for driving during the summer months here in Sweden, and I have always liked the looks of the E30. The 320 (M20) seems like a pretty solid car, but what are its weak spots and what should one look for when buying one? Any particular things that break and cost a lot of money and effort to fix?

Should mention that I am not looking for a fast car, but would like something that connects well with the road and is just fun to drive. I have a 9-5 Aero which goes like hell, is super comfortable, and handles quite well but is a very large and unwieldy beast. Also, having 250+ hp on tap has me realizing I don't really NEED that much, since all it does is lets you get into license-losing territory all the faster. Would rather have something lighter and smaller I can take on the fun country roads around here. Been looking at E30 320 convertibles since they are fairly reasonably priced and the ragtops appear to have been generally more cared for than the coupes/sedans.

Advice?

edit: Should clarify that the Aero is my year-round vehicle and I will of course keep it. Nothing beats a Saab in the winter (especially with studded Hakkas!).

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Hello thread. Got my first BMW today. Not new but a 2016 330D. Loving it so far.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Thats a good looking car, congrats. Do a burnout.

It's an xDrive so proves a bit of a challenge. Launches like a bat out of hell though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hey why are so many of the 640i GTs early trade-ins?

This car looks like it ticks all the boxes for what I need, but then there are like a dozen available used in my neck of the woods with like 2-12k miles.

Is it a bad car?

Well, it makes the Panamera look good.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got the F31 330D back from M Performance Power Kit install today. Not being an M sport I had to upgrade the brakes as well. Pardon dirty rear end wheels but it's the winter season here.

And they even updated the scale on the gauges (which I think are not all that useful/accurate):

Overall the car just feels a bit "more". Definitely shifts quicker in sport/sport+ mode (DSG-like at this point), has noticeably more mid range oooomph, and pulls a bit harder on the top end. Not the most bang for the buck but it'll retain the warranty and I got bigger brakes+IC. Loving this drat car so far.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

You F3x guys have any issues with the tail lights? I had one replaced on mine (330D) under warranty and brother had both his (320D) done when it was two years old due to moisture issues. They are pretty loving expensive since they replace the entire unit so wondering if there might've been an update to keep it from happening in the future. It would suck to have to pay 500+ bucks every couple of years otherwise. (Other than that the car's been flawless for 2 years and 25k miles.)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

kronix posted:

I had one for 6 years and never had an issue with my tail lights but my car wasn't the LCI. Big sample size here but I know a few people locally and that's not something I've heard a lot about.

loving electric water pumps, that's poo poo you hear from F30 peeps everywhere you go.

Can't wait to see what fucks up in my M340

Ours are LCI and wagons so maybe that's a difference. Electric water pumps eh? Will have to keep an eye out for that. Love the god drat thing though, super comfortable ride, great handling, massive towing power and xDrive is excellent. Went to a scout meeting and found one of the participants stuck halfway up a gravel hill with a heavy trailer. Hooked it on to the 330 and just walked it up barely off idle. All that and I still get an easy 40mpg.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

kronix posted:

Yep I had mine go out at 50k and BMW did me a solid and replaced it for free. Basically it shorted on and ran constantly until it completely drained the battery and the water pump isn’t stopped by the low voltage cutoff that shuts down just about everything in the car when the battery voltage gets too low.

What they didn’t replace for free was the $270 battery that had its life ended early by a series of very deep discharges.

That water pump is really the only problem I had with my 335i xdrive after 6 years and 60k miles.

Well, I looked into it and it appears the engine in mine (N57) is blessed with a mechanical water pump.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Reserve not met at 39K.

I think people realized they couldshould just buy an M3 at that point.

Do you guys not get the 330D over there?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So I need a little help here.

Neighbor's car was hit in the middle of the night and whoever did it bailed. Guessing someone was inebriated and didn't want to face the cops.

Two major parts were left behind by the perp though. The part number for the red reflector points toward F30/F31 specifically with the M sport package since the non M sport ones seem to have a different shape. But I am a bit intrigued by the "extra" sensor on the rear quarter. Was it only certain options packages that added this? I had an F31 and it only had the 4 on the rear bumper and most I see for sale don't have anymore either. Is it the 5DP package that adds these or are there other options that do? And was this only on the LCI (2016-2019) models?

Since we have a lot of public information available here in commieland I managed to pull a list of all F30/F31 LCI cars in white in this area and from that list of around 30 only one has the 337 and 5DP options.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

go look on Reddit they probably already have a post asking "how much to fix!@@!?"

Haha, I did already check Facebook groups and some other places.

What I believe happened is this: Our road is temporarily blocked off right past our house since they are redoing some infrastructure and have dug up a bunch of roads. People who don't live here aren't aware of it and some like to use our street as a shortcut to get to a bigger road leading to various places. Likely someone not aware of the road closing came barreling down the street late at night (not unlikely they had a couple of drinks IMO), came to a quick halt and since the road narrows near the block threw it into reverse and hauled rear end right into my neighbor's parked car sitting on the side of the road 30 meters down. You'd have to be pretty loving clueless to manage this so I suspect alcohol was involved or it was a car full of young people and the driver was showing off somehow.

I doubt they got out to inspect the damage or get the license plate of the car they hit or anything or they wouldn't left entire pieces of the car lying in the street.

So the car I found that was the only one in the area matching the parameters (2016-2019 3 series with 5DP and 337 options, white) is registered to a 57 year old lady. Who also has another car (a cheaper VW) that just went through inspection a few weeks ago so appears to be in active use. Since she lives alone I think it's one of her kids who drives it and the car's in mom's name for cheaper insurance (BMW insurance can be brutal for guys in their early 20s).

Anyway, I can't go all vigilante with this poo poo so will just hand over my "research" to the authorities at this point. I doubt they'd ever put this kind of effort into locating a simple hit and run with just property damage but maybe they'll actually do something if I hand all of this over. I imagine a quick phone call to the owner might be enough.

Of course it could be an entirely different car since I only checked the ones in our county. But it was fun playing detective for a while. I found a site where you could plug in car models, colors and model year and it'd spit out a list of cars with license plate #s (it's all considered public information here in Sweden which in itself is kind of hosed up IMO). From the license plate it was just another search to get the VIN and then just plug that poo poo into a VIN decoder. So that gave me a list of all the cars with the relevant options. Plenty of M sports, one non M sport with 5DP, and only one with both.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 24, 2024

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Imagine the embarrassment when you're eventually hauled to prison and you have to meet with the prison gang leaders and tell them you fell for the M Sport marketing

Well lookie here. Pics passed onto cops and the insurance company. I'm a god drat detective!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

the milk machine posted:

a bmw thread success story!

It was a heck of an adventure! They had backed the car in and parked another car in front of it doing their best to hide the damage so you wouldn't have noticed it just walking/driving by. But I hopped a fence from a nearby parking lot and got a good angle.