Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
My dad is picking up an E92 M3 this friday, and I'll be driving his E46 M3 until I can sell it for him (assuming it's by the end of the month, or he'll sell it himself). I'll be sure to get pictures of it when I go with him to pick it up friday. Hopefully before the E46 is goe I'll get a chance to get it together with the E92 and his (my ex) M coupe for some pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

CornHolio posted:

Ahh ugly ugly ugly! I was talking to a couple sales people at the dealership and they all hate it and none of them think it will sell well at all.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

Dantu posted:

They also told me they can't put non-run flats on BMW factory wheels because of how the lip meets the tire seal.

This is complete bullshit, do not listen to them.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Also, I can't really make up my mind whether I want it with or without a roof:

Oh great BMW thread...help me!

Go for the coupe. I just test drove one today (which if it's still available next week after my Lotus is gone may be mine!) and it's just such a sexy beast. I will miss having a roof that disappears but the added stiffness, lower weight (I'm assuming), and overall sportier look will make up for that I'm sure.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've pretty much narrowed my search to the Z4 M Coupe in Blue or Red. The coupe weighs slightly less than the ragtop but it's not a huge difference. The chassis stiffness is a big step up in the coupe, however. Good luck in your hunt.

Today I drove a silver/black 07 M Coupe, 54k miles, one owner with service records, not a scratch or ding that I could find, literally looked and drove like a brand new car. I'm praying nobody buys it before I sell my lotus on Monday. Even though I love the coupe and wouldn't buy anything else, my targa top lotus driving self is begging me to buy a roadster. I guess since I have a few days before I can actually buy something I'll try to take a Z4 M Roadster on a hard test drive and see if it piques my fancy.

Good luck on your search as well. Where are you located? I'm spending about half my day searching the whole country for a worthy coupe and if I see something that's local to you I can send a link your way.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 4, 2013

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
I am having a horrible car buying dilemma. I was set on a particular 07 Z4M Coupe but that fell through, and now I am rethinking my options, which are currently:

07 Z4 M Coupe (a different one) - http://goo.gl/3h4NY
10 135i M Sport 6MT CPO - http://goo.gl/bAvQb
08-09 135i Sport 6MT (a few cars) - http://goo.gl/4I49f - http://goo.gl/Rn0EY
05 M3 Convertible 6MT - http://goo.gl/F2xi6
Track down a lower mileage E46 M3 6MT Coupe (which is proving to be incredibly difficult)

I previously owned a 2010 135i with a regular sport package, not the M Sport, and I loved it, but I got bored of it which is why I traded it in. Thinking about it now I'm all excited about owning another one but I'm worried about getting bored with it right away. One is CPO with 40k miles and is the only car I'm looking at with a warranty, which makes me think I should go with it, but I make bad decisions so I'm not convinced. Asking price: $29.75k with CPO. $23-26k for 08-09 without CPO.

There are a few other Z4 M Coupes around. One private party one with 42k miles with an asking price of $28.5k. Black on black, all service records. One at a dealership up in seattle with 51k, silver on black, with an asking price of $29.95k, but I think I can get that price down a bit. One is a private party one owner car with 56k miles and a binder full of service records, asking $28.9k but I think I can get him down as well, as the car as a couple door dings/light scratches.

The 05 M3 Convertible is for sale private party by a guy local to me. It looks gorgeous inside and out, silver exterior, black interior, only mods are exhaust related with stock parts included. Car has 65k miles, all service records including inspection II at 60k miles, clean carfax, and newish michelin PSS tires. Asking price: $23.3k

What do I do??

edited to add links to the cars I'm talking about

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 12, 2013

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
I owned an S52 Z3 M Coupe a few years ago, it was such a great car, but other than looks the Z4 M Coupe is better in almost every way. A S54 M Coupe on the other hand....

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
I found this: http://goo.gl/FNP33. 2007 Z4 M Coupe, 55k miles. I drove it, it looked and drove great, like a brand new car. Then i checked the carfax and saw it was in an accident a couple years ago. If it checks out fine in a PPI that all the damage was fixed with quality workmanship and that it's all good now, is it worth it? That price is really hard to say no to, at $3-4k less than any other Z4 M I've seen.

edit: Also this: http://goo.gl/zW37z. Phoenix Yellow 05 M3 Coupe 6MT. It has the grey interior that I hate, but that phoenix yellow is just so ugly that I can't help but love it. Clean carfax, relatively low miles, looks good in the pictures. I think I'll take a trip up to look at it this week.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 14, 2013

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
Well, I drove this home today:

And I've loved every loving second of it. It's the one that had an accident reported on carfax, listed as rear end collision. The salesman INSISTED that it was just a parking tap that the previous owner insisted on fixing through insurance. I brought it to the local BMW dealership for a PPI and they more or less agreed with that scenario. All they could find wrong with the car is the windshield cowl panel looks like poo poo and the oil pan gasket is very slowly seeping oil. In the end, I bought this car for a good $4k less than any other M Coupe for sale in pretty much the whole country. I think the accident on the carfax scared a lot of people away and they really had no choice but to drop the price. The car looks and drives like it's brand new. As soon as I'm done writing this post I'll be ordering a CDV delete and stubby antenna to make it even more wonderful. An E46 M3 would have been fun, but this is way more interesting, and I'm willing to sacrifice a back seat for something interesting.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

coolskillrex remix posted:

One of the best looking bmws ever created in my opinion, and probably ridiculously fun to drive as well.

Being nosy, how much did you pay? How many miles? 3 years ago with 40k miles i saw some dealers selling these for as low as $25k, which i thought was amazing considering this was sort of a cayman S rival and those were going for $35k easily. Now they cost way more. :psyduck:

About 2 years ago I couldn't find one for less than $35k, now they are down a bit, and most seem to be going between $28k-$32k, which is pretty much KBB value. I paid $24,700 with 55k miles, which still seems like a silly low price compared to all the other ones I looked at.

Bahamutsrage posted:

Unffff, I want the Z4M so badly. You made a GREAT choice! Those things are awesome to drive and the coupe is very eye catching. I've got a 3.0i roadster so it's down on power but it's plenty for cruising/everyday things. :) Enjoy it!

I forgot there was a BMW thread so I guess I'll dump my pictures in here:

Your car is gorgeous, what wheels are those?

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

GrAviTy84 posted:

Thanks for the wisdom, everyone. Really helps a ton. I am looking for something in a 328i or 330i preferable E46 but I suppose I'm not above an E36 if it's in really good condition. Sedan, preferably, manual transmission definitely. I'm seeing listings anywhere from $5k up to like $15k for an E46 330i. What's a realistic price for a good condition, reasonable mileage, E46 saloon?

A year or so ago a friend of mine bought an 02 or 03 (I can't remember) 330Ci sport package for $6,000 with around 75k miles in truly mint condition. The car was owned by a very old woman who was selling because she doesn't drive anymore, had every service record for the car since like 2005 when she bought it as the second owner. He's now at around 110k miles and has had no major issues at all, although I'm sure the cooling system will be problematic in the near future. Basically, the cars and deals are out there, but finding them will mean a lot of sitting on craigslist and checking it a few times a day. He found the car about 15 minutes after it was posted, I drove him to look at it 15 minutes after that, and he bought the car on the spot; the car was literally up for sale for a total of an hour.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

sofullofhate posted:

Have appointment to sort out a deal on Friday. 60k km, 6-speed. Appears bone stock. Sepang Bronze is really, really hot in person.

Gorgeous, do it.

Does anyone know if the darker grey wheels were a factory option? I've seen a few with that exact color and I think that the darker grey would look good on my silver z4m.

Sort of unrelated: I took my front plate off and it looks so much better.

Bring on the tickets!

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 30, 2013

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

Mr. Onslaught posted:

The odds of me ever finding an Alpine White/Coral Red e92 (preferably 328i) in manual transmission with M-Sport package are probably 0%, seeing as most people who would be the type to upgrade to M-Sport would also be getting the 335i. I don't care about any of the interior upgrades from the M-Sport stuff, so does it seem like my best option would be to find an e92 and just install the aerodynamic kit/shadowline trim myself?

Or I could always save up an extra 30,000 and get an M-Sport 428i :haw:

Why are you set on a 328 over a 335? Maintenance? Cost of ownership? Purchase price? Having owned an N54 135i previously I'd just like to chime in and say that it's an absolutely wonderful motor. Plenty of power, was very reliable for the 25k miles I owned it (never needed anything but oil changes), sounded amazing with an intake, and once the JB4 was installed it was just mind-blowingly quick for the price.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

sofullofhate posted:

This is my M Coupe. There are not many like it, but this one is mine:

That is a seriously gorgeous color!

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
Took an early morning drive up in the mountains this morning, grabbed a few cellphone pictures. Would have brought my real camera/tripod but a friend is borrowing it right now :argh:

This was also my first drive in the mountains in this car and goddamn. It's no lotus elise, but it's amazing. I'm excited to do some suspension work to tighten it up a bit more but even now it's a seriously incredible car.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 19, 2013

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyone have a good mechanic in Glendale, CA for a PPI?

May take a mini cooper to one today. I looked up Avus Autosport and they look pretty good, quoted 170bux for a PPI which seems a bit steep to me. Any experiences?

I've heard good things about Avus, but haven't actually used them myself.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
Went back up in the mountains over the weekend and sine cool clouds rolled in. Again, didn't have my real camera on me, but I'm pretty happy with these considering they are cellphone pictures.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
I'm having an issue in my 07 Z4M Coupe; if i depress the clutch under 3k RPMs I get this shuttering type of sound from the rear end. My old E46 M3 (and a friends E92 M3) made pretty the same sound but not nearly as frequently, and only under 2k RPMs. The E46 was only 3 years old and the E92 was almost new so I always assumed it was nothing, but now that I'm dealing with a 6 year old car I have worries. Any ideas as to what this could be? If I'm very, very smooth on the clutch it doesn't seem to happen which makes me think it might be the CDV, is that a reasonable assumption? Any help would be appreciated. If something is wrong I'd like to know what to replace so I can take care of it ASAP.

edit: I'm also getting a pretty nasty rattle type sound from the motor around 2800-3300 RPMs. I am hoping this is just the infamous vanos rattle but I'd like to be sure. Over 3300 or so RPMs the sound goes way completely and I've driven the car for a few thousand miles this way with no other issues other than the sound. Is this basically what I would be expecting out of a vanos rattle or should I be looking elsewhere for the problem?

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 25, 2013

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
Also I figured I'd post these here. From a recent early morning drive up in the mountains that resulted in some spectacular views.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 25, 2013

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
My 07 Z4M Coupe needs brakes! Well, brake pads. It's been a long time since I've owned a car long enough to have to change the pads and I'm not really sure what I should go with. I'm considering going ceramic, specifically these (http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z4-M_Coupe-S54_3.2L/Braking/Performance/ES248817/ or these http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z4-M_Coupe-S54_3.2L/Braking/Performance/ES240591/), as quite a lot of my driving is up in the mountains and I've had problems overheating the OEM pads in the past. Any reasons why I might not want to ceramic, or anyone have a brand recommendation?

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 16, 2014

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

VelociBacon posted:

I am going to argue against fully ceramic pads. They're not very good until they're hot and unless you keep them hot they quickly go back into being poor. They're great for track stuff but I think you'd be better served with semi-metallics such as the offerings from Stoptech or Hawk (I prefer stoptech). Even just moving from OEM pads you'll notice a lot less heat fade, I don't think you need to jump to ceramics.

e: Something like these for Hawk, I didn't look around enough to see the stoptech ones.

Be aware that any of these aftermarket pads will produce a lot more dust than OEM.

I understand your argument, but I've had fully ceramic pads in the past (on my E36 M3) that I loved and while they took a few stops to warm up I got used to it quickly and even used them for a while when the outside ambient temperatures were around freezing. I'll definitely look into the ones you mentioned before I make a decision though, as I'm not committed to ceramics yet.

Nair Sirhc posted:

Porterfield R4S is by far the best trackable street pad I've ever used. R4 if you want a streetable track pad.

Looking at the R4S now and they look pretty great, they are close to the top of my list right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
I have a 2007 M5 that is having a weird issue. When the car is cold and you start the engine it runs fine, drives normally, but on a hot start it idles rough until I drive for a mile or so, then it's back to normal. Any ideas?