Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

im sure this is answered earlier in the thread but:

anyone have good beginner plans for an inexpensive workbench? i cant get poo poo done with the ikea kitchen island ive been using. i know absolutely nothing but want to learn, and i fogure a bench is a good place to start

Paul Sellers’ plywood workbench might be cheaper than rex’s english joiners bench, bit more labor though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

sockpuppetclock posted:

Someone wants me to help add center support to their bed. Their king size bed has really mediocre center support and the slats sag. They wanted to replace their slats with a single thick sheet of wood but I'm not sure something that size... exists? What kind of wood would you recommend for a center support?
Besides that, I saw an older post in this thread about placing a thin sheet of plywood over the slats to distribute weight. Is that feasible? I'll probably try that too.

It is often recommended not to put a mattress on a flat sheet of anything because it can cause mildew growth if there isn’t enough airflow to the underside. Other sources say this is fine as long as the humidity in the bedroom is controlled, but i personally wouldn’t take the risk. Probably the easiest way to solve this is to buy a prebuilt bunkie board - you can get a king or a pair of twin xls, which are the same length and half the width - and drop that in on top of the existing slats. If you still need extra support in the center, cut a 2x4 to length and use it as a center leg. Anything more complicated than that will have you substantially reengineering the bed and at that point it’s probably more cost effective to buy a new one unless the current bed has a lot of value.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What's the best kind of beginner-friendly join for the following use case, and what sort/thickness of wood would be a good compromise of weight/strength/cost?

Basically I'm looking to build a shelf to go on the back of an aluminium frame hiking pack, which will be supporting 50lbs or so of weight (portable darkroom, chemistry, field camera, etc). I'll be using u-bolts to secure the vertical section to the pack, but wasn't sure the best way to keep the shelf from splitting off when on the trail.

You don't need a shelf, the same lashing you use to secure the tote to the frame can support it underneath. Turn it vertical (lid facing your back, probably) and get some webbing, then do a diamond hitch like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39Gm0O0jJU

I need to emphasize: this is going to be uncomfortable at best, but completely unmanageable if you don't properly secure the load. 50 pounds on your back is serious weight, even for "just" a day trip, and carrying it in a tote means it will not be close to your back, increasing the leverage. It's going to slow you down noticeably if you're not in good shape, and it's going to be painful if your pack is loose or sloppy. "Loose" includes whatever you're putting in the tote btw, i hope you have a very tight and well--padded packing arrangement.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

so how bad is a Ryobi RTS10G table saw for any kind of precision? When I read poo poo about tools online I have a hard time differentiating between 'bad for pros' vs 'just really bad'. I'm just an amateur so my requirements are pretty low, but it'd be good to know if this thing is actively working against me.

I was bequeathed a bunch of mostly Ryobi tools by a friend who moved cross country a number of years ago (this may have been a wife excuse for him to upgrade), but the table saw is what I use most. Over the years my increasingly ambitious home projects have evolved into a minor woodworking hobby. I've gotten a bit better at this stuff, but I am absurdly unable to do poo poo straight with any of these power tools. Like new blade on the saw and riding along the table's fence with the board's straight edge and the cut is not straight at all.

Maybe the tools are fine and I was just born under a crooked star. I followed a video today to build a crosscut sled so maybe I could make straighter cuts on another project and drat is my front fence some jank poo poo.

i recently set up the even cheaper and crummier 8 1/4 inch ryobi table saw and was able to get straight and parallel cuts and square corners. you'll need a cheap combo square with a ruler. here are the points i checked, in order:

- table flat. it's not going to be, you know, reference surface flat, but it should not be obviously dished, domed, or warped. if it is, lap it flat. (just kidding the saw is no good, throw it out and start over)
- blade parallel to miter slot. check this with your ruler at both the toe and hell of the blade. page 31 of the manual
- runout on the arbor. you don't need to dial this in or anything, there just shouldn't be any obvious wobble when the blade is in motion. check that the arbor nut is tight and clear of dust or debris
- riving knife in plane with the blade. there should be some adjustment screws for this - check the manual

If those are all ok then your saw is set up and capable of making precise cuts in wood. The gauges may not be as precise as you want, so use your combo square to set the blade perpendicular and ruler to set the fence parallel to the blade, checking at the toe and heel. Don't rely on the indicator and don't trust the fence will automatically be parallel to the blade. I find it's usually good enough if I push on both sides of the front T before clamping the fence down, but if you need precision, use the ruler.

the big show stoppers are the table not being flat or the blade won't stay parallel to the miter slot. if you've adjusted it and tightened everything and it still slips out of true, just ditch the saw, but the rest of the stuff is mostly fixable.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I'm just gonna pipe up and say that aligning the blade to the miter slot and then ensuring the fence is and stays aligned to both is a safety priority for a table saw. It's not just to keep you getting good cuts: it's to prevent the wood from being forced between the blade and the fence during a cut, which creates a serious kick back risk. Kickbacks are the thing that causes the most injuries from table saws - not chopping off fingers, although that's certainly unfortunately common.

If the blade wont' stay aligned or the fence is too flimsy to stay straight, the saw is too dangerous to use. IMO.

very good point, i should have led with that. I haven't had issues with mine (rts08) holding alignment but it's a different model and ryobi may have changed the design. I also haven't pushed it - it's been used for plywood, mdf, and softwoods, with an appropriate blade. Definitely something to check every time you use the saw, if you want to try to make it work.