Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
You can buy iron-on strips of edging that is designed for exactly hiding the edges of plywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I like the idea of just buying something. I will look into that. Any good vendors for such a thing?

For iron-on edge strip on plywood, how does that constrain my options for finishing the edges? It would be nice to have a small round over.

It’s not really designed for that, so you could probably do it, but the rounded over part would show some of the plys. That might actually look cool though if you have nice plywood, it would be like a trim line inset in your edge.

However, what Kaiser just posted would be an even better way to go. Just buy a strip of hardwood and attach that to the edge. You can round that over to your hearts content, plus make the whole thing look thicker.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Wow, I never knew I wanted to make one of these until now:

Seems difficult or impossible without a bandsaw and a lathe at minimum though (not to mention a spindle sander and a drill press with a few bigass Forstner bits).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Since we’re talking about veneering, how difficult/expensive would it be for me to veneer a sunburst pattern on a 26” circle (for a Crokinole board)? This would be on Baltic Birch or MDF.

I did some looking into it before and it seemed like “if you don’t already have the equipment no way it’s worth it”

Something like this random example:

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 30, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like that pattern specifically involved resawing 8 thin slices off of the same board, cutting them into 45-degree wedges, and gluing them in. I don't think that you can ordinarily get matched veneers like that, so you'd have to cut them yourself,

Ok well let’s ignore that specific type of perfectly matched pattern in favor of “some kind of cool mix of different veneer samples in a vaguely radial design” and then move on to the feasibility and costs of the actual process of applying it to a board without currently having any tools or knowledge related to veneers.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

tater_salad posted:

In the market for a table saw.. I've owned the delta and enjoyed it but the reviews of "motor burned out and it was 300 to replace" is a little scary to me.

There is a guy on the Facebook delta saw group that sells kits for about $100 which include upgraded components of whichever ones typically burn out. The idea is you replace them proactively before anything happens and then the saw starts up faster/stronger and is more reliable because the components aren’t minimum quality trash.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Rutibex posted:

How high is that ceiling? Only Michael Jordan could use those shelves

Putting in one of those rolling-track ladders would be cool, maybe, if it could tuck to the side when out of use and not be obstructing.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

signalnoise posted:

My goal is to replicate the design of this fightstick, though without necessarily taking the nubs on the sides or following it exactly.

Honestly, why though? They make it like that because they can easily mold plastic. People make cool wood ones all the time without gimmick plastic shapes that would make great beginner projects.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Since we’re having price talk, has Baltic Birch gone up in price at all? Last time I got some 5x5’ 3/4” it was around $60 a sheet.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Some "it's fine" woodworking:

Oh poo poo, now we’re in my wheelhouse.

I made this stupid thing over the weekend, for putting drinks down on the couch when we want to sit back and can’t reach the table:

Made out of one scrap piece of plywood. I got real impatient with the stain and finishing so that looks a bit half assed. “It’s fine.”

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Add some flip up wings and you can triple the surface area. Of course it won’t be quite as flat and stable as the main surface but it will beat hanging poo poo in the air and will give you a place to put down tools and hardware.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Why did you frame around the top instead of just using solid plywood for the entire top surface? Seems to add work and introduce error where you just automatically get an even surface for playing the easy way (and you can stain/paint for the color effect).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The woodworking makerspacer near me is insanely expensive and has a list of rules longer than my arm that includes things like “no cutting any pine” and “no cutting anything harder than xx on the hardness scale.” Sure, they’re gonna have way more tools than you will be able to acquire as a novice, but for like 6 months membership you can buy yourself a SawStop and have a pretty drat good start.

What makes way more sense is the local “tool library” which is fairly cheap and has a pretty wide range of stuff you can check out (but not tablesaws/jointers/etc)

Elysium fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 8, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Serenade posted:

Yeah, seeing your set up makes me realize I am under utilizing the space. Even without removing my seat, I never have boards poking all the way to the dashboard, but I could. That would at least get me up to 6ft.

Put a towel around the end of the boards to greatly (but not entirely) reduce the chance of shattering your windshield.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Olothreutes posted:

I was just hoping there was another, more clever solution that wasn't a substantial investment in tools/trying to find a decent saw to use.

If I am understanding your goal correctly, you should get a piece of plywood (preferably Baltic Birch) with a thickness of the strip you planned to cut from the 2x4s, and use the circular saw to cut strips of the width you want. Then you will have long strips of the correct width and thickness to laminate together.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Plywood doesn't really flex very well, because it's made of layers of veneer running in opposite directions.

Plywood bends just fine if you are laminating strips, that seems like the whole point. That is how I made the rim of my crokinole boards.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 27, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I also made a plant stand thing. I believe the style is referred to as 21st Century “It’s Fine”

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I am thinking of building a large litter box out of some scrap plywood I have, and coating it with Spar Urethane. Will that hold up to cat pee? Is it toxic to pets after it's cured? I can't imagine them trying to eat or lick it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Sadi posted:

Might be worth looking around to see if you have a coop or something of the like around. Two cities near me have community wood work shops that are nice and pretty reasonable. Mines $100 a year in a 3500sqft shop.

I think I posted this here before, but the one near me is $149 a month, minimum 3 months, plus $99 safety certification.

Also, you are prohibited from using Ipe, Bubinga, Purpleheart, Lignum Vitae, Teak, or anything over 2000 janka for being too hard. You can't use Pine for being too soft. You can't use any pressure treated lumber, and you can't use any reclaimed lumber of any kind without special authorization. You can't put anything with epoxy through the planer. Storage of any kind of materials at the shop is a minimum of $.35 per piece per day.

That's for the woodworking only place. The "makerspace" near me is $249 a month.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I got a special request from Santa that my niece needed a house for her large stuffed bunny. I had just enough terrible vietnam plywood lying around to make this from a reference picture (still to be painted):

It’s amazing how hard it is to make what is essentially a large box when you can’t cut anything straight or square for a drat. I swear I don’t have a true straight reference anywhere in my garage and even when triple checking measurements I somehow always cut one side a little bit off.

Also the extremely keen eye might note where I ran out of trim for the windows and sides, and had to cut plywood to fit the same size, which is always an interesting exercise when you only have thin strips left and have to cut them into a thinner strip without a table saw or bandsaw or something.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I’m sure someone will chime in with an eloquent solution, but if I’m understanding the problem correctly, I would just drill the holes all the way through and then use through-bolts. Yeah you’ll see the bolts on the outside, but it will take 30 seconds and be plenty solid.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Unrelated to woodworking but a relevant story to getting something really loving heavy into a garage:

I got a strip of football field turf to put in my garage gym. You might not believe it based on the dimensions but the thing weighs over 2000 lbs with infill. They forklifted it into a trailer for me, and when I got home I dropped the tailgate, strapped the roll to a tree, and then drove the trailer out from under it, leaving me with this massive roll mostly in my driveway and partially in the street. I then used a manual winch thing attached to another tree to very slowly drag it a bit off the street 1” at a time.

I then bribed about 10 of my friends to come over and roll/push/pull this thing slightly uphill into my garage.

So call up a bunch of people, get some pizza and beer, and get to work…

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Dunno about Canada but it seems pretty easy to search for in the US. Rockler, Woodcraft, Amazon, Home Depot.

How about this? https://store.workshopsupply.com/catalogue/blackjack-track-36-p-2954.html

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I wouldn’t make a round gaming table unless you have a specific space that just works for round.

Games have mostly square and rectangular components. And while it sounds nice that the reach is the same everywhere across a round table, I think you’ll find that having a long dimension will work out better for a lot of games.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Wait, are the four black buttons controlling directional instead of a stick?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Is the slab fully dried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
What about an oscillating belt sander? You just turn it on and then rub each piece on it for a second, do the other side, then grab another piece. Might be a little tricky not to sand your fingertips on some smaller pieces maybe.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 20, 2024