Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm looking into dust collection for my garage and I'm wondering what you guys think about the big bag systems vs shop vac options like the dust deputy.

My original plan was just a dust deputy but I see some of the bag style ones on kijiji for cheaper, and it wouldn't tie up my shop vac.

Here are the 2 listings in question.
Option 1
Option 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

mds2 posted:

In my shop I use both a shop vac and a big dust collector.

The dust collector is hooked up to all the "big" tools; table saw, planer, jointer, bandsaw, and edge sander. My shop vac I hoop up to smaller table top or hand held tools; sanders, routers, etc.

You won't get enough dust collection on a big tool with a shop vac. Both of those dust collectors seem to be priced reasonably.

Thanks. I'll try and get one.

I currently use just my shop vac, but it has no proper dust separator or anything. It's also small so it's a bit weak for anything above hand held tools.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm gonna be that guy again.

What are peoples thoughts on this lathe for $80?

I asked the seller for more information on the size, how well it worked, how old it is, etc. No answer yet.

It's rare to see them this cheap in my area so hoping to jump on it if it's a decent buy. I'm mostly interested in bowl turning if that helps.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Thanks for the advice. I decided to prod the guy for more info and he didn't leave me very confident about it. So the hunt continues.

Good call Wormil too. I didn't think to check out accessories prices when considering the buy.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Picked up that 1HP dust collector. First time I used it I basically realized Im gonna want a chip separator. I sucked up some chunks and they made a just awful noise as it rocketed through the system. Worried I was gonna break it the day I got it...

Anyone have any good suggestions on plans? I was thinking of maybe modifying the woodgears one so it fits under the lid a large garbage can as a single bucket cyclone, rather than 2. Mostly to save space as I don't want this thing to be massive, but im not sure if thats the best solution.
Adding some fencing like this so I can use normal trash bags also seems like a great idea.

It also makes a pretty bad whining sound when it reaches full speed. It has a corrugated hose though and google suggests that's why. I want to eventually pipe it around my garage and Id use PVC there so I think that will resolve that issue. I hope anyways!

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 18, 2015

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

That looks awesome. Great job!

I'm super jealous. I think in my project ideas folder I have 15 live edge/glass river tables saved. That's a great combo of the 2 ideas.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

What are the wall sections made from? Did you mold them yourself?

Very cool idea. Stuff like that always makes me want to create some modular D&D dungeons or a board game.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Bad Munki posted:

Anyhow, none of that's really woodworking, but there ya go. ;)

Awesome info in any case, thanks!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Looking at an easy way to mass produce some end grain cutting boards. I wan't to create a pretty complex design(nerdy pixel art boards), so having multiples in one go would be great.
Anyone see a problem with this plan? I tried google to see if this was a common thing, but couldn't find anything.

I figure I can slice my strips as normal but glue them up as a giant cube, and then cut slices off. This would give me multiple boards with the same design and very minimal end grain sanding. Thoughts?

I'd probably have to slice it on the band saw, so the biggest issue I see is blade drift. But I hope I can minimize that with a good fence and a thick blade.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 21, 2015

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What kind of bandsaw do you have? My 14" Grizzly can't resaw more than I think 7 or 8 inches, which would put a somewhat narrow cap on one of the dimensions of your boards.

Otherwise, given the amount of grain you're going across, I think your blade would probably dull pretty quickly (aren't crosscuts harder on blades than ripcuts?).

Ah fair points. My band saw is 14" as well. I was kinda thinking I could resaw that full size. I just got it and I've only used small bad saws before. Is the full height just too much for it to handle?
Dulling the blade isn't something I had considered either.

I could try doing the cuts on a table saw as well. 1 cut per side like when you make a box. But that seems pretty dangerous and I'd also be limited by my blades max height.

Maybe this idea won't work. :smith:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

You could also make a plywood door then cover it in thin pieces of the fir/pine to get your desired look.
Sort of like a veneer.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Plain white vinegar works that well eh? I got a few super rusty tools from my grandfather, including a plane, I've been planning to fix up. I'll have to give that a try.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I got an odd question. Recently I was asked to make a wooden urn out of some old mahogany for my wifes grandmother (she is in hospice care and will go any day). The wood she gave me was from her late husbands shop and has been sitting in a basement for 20+ years.

The urn is complete, and I have a LOT of wood left over. 2.5 10 foot boards left. I was thinking I could use the rest to make the family some keepsakes, but I was wondering is this kind of wood safe for cutting boards or other food related items? It's quite old. Sat in a basement in a house with cats for years.

I don't think the cats peed on it or anything, there is no water damage, but it was quite dusty and had cat hair on it. I put the boards through the plainer and they seem pretty good. However almost too dry... can wood get too dry? I feel like it splinters and tears out way more then most wood I buy.
The edge grain seems fine, but I made an end grain cutting board with some maple to test and the end grain has a lot of little holes in it. So it might be useless already because of that, but I'm gonna sand it and finish it tonight and see. It's already glued up so I may as well finish it.

Thoughts on the safety and dryness?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'll have to come up with something else then, thanks! I'll finish the one I made and just recommend it's used as a serving tray or something, not an actual cutting board. Best to be safe.

The boards are about 7" wide and 3/4" thick.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

wormil posted:

Cutting boards are a scrap wood project. It's insane to consider using those boards for that, even if mahogany were the best choice for cutting boards which it's not.

Fair haha. I was just trying to think of some smaller projects I could use as family keepsakes, considering the origin of the wood. Luckily the sample one I made was mostly from offcuts used in making the urn box.
I'll put it aside for now till I come up with a good idea. Someone mentioned jewelry boxes, but I think I'd only get a couple out of the stock I got.
I hadn't mentioned the idea to anyone, so maybe I'll just try and make something larger for the wife as her own keepsake.

As an aside, what's a good hardwood alternative that's a similiar colour to mahogany I can use for a cutting board? I like the look of the one sample one I did make.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Thanks I'll check those out.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

That's a nice looking lathe! I wanna get a lathe pretty bad, but currently price restricted.

I got a wood drying question. My fiancée wanted to get some log rounds for our wedding next Sept to use as part of a centre piece for the tables. I managed to get some pine logs from a neighbour. They are pretty massive. 2 foot diameter and 1-2 feet long. Freshly cut so the wood is really green and sappy.

So my plan is to slice them into half inch rounds now and just stack them to dry with some spacers for 10-11 months, then sand em smooth before the wedding. Does this make sense? Or should I paint the end grain as well, which would be the majority of the piece, to help it dry slower and crack less? If so what kind of paint.

Pretty sure my only option here is to hand saw these. So I'm gonna be swole as gently caress after this.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Tree cookies! I've never heard that before, haha. Works for me. Thanks as usual Wormil!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Mr. Mambold posted:

Get hold of a chainsaw ffs, and yes coat the end grain surfaces.

I've debated renting one if the hand sawing becomes too brutal. I'll see how it goes I guess.
Thanks

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

One Legged Ninja posted:

You might be set on the sanded surface, but my wife wanted me to cut log rounds for our wedding, so I went out a couple weeks before and cut them about 1.5 to 2 inches thick, and then coated them with water based floor poly right off the saw. Two or three coats built up a nice shine, and she loved them. Plus a couple of our guests asked if they could have them afterwards for their own wedding.

So if you can live with the cut marks, you can save a lot of work, and avoid checking entirely.

Ah that's a good idea too. I'll try one that way and see if she likes it. I bet she will since her theme is sort of a rustic apple tree kind of thing.
Thanks!

Edit: yeah I cut 1 by hand, gently caress that. Time to rent a chain saw.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 30, 2015

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

All my workbench tops are 2' wide, simply because I can slice a 8x4 sheet down the middle and glue em together for a nice sturdy top.
I'll admit I've found a bit wider could be nicer though.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

After I proposed by gf said I could buy something fancy since she got a ring. Planer it was! Pretty fair deal imo.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

This looks great, awesome job!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Changing saw blades is the worst. I almost never do it and just try and work around what blade I have in there, regardless of the task. I think my mitre saw still has the lovely blade it came with.

Probably not the smartest thing, but laziness manifests itself in weird ways. I really should get some new blades...

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Has anyone here tried making their own riving knife/splitter?

I got my saw used so it never came with one, and I'm thinking I should really get something going to increase safety. It hasn't been an issue yet, but I was resawing a lot of 2x4s recently and it can be a bit scary.

I found some posts on users who have made their own, and it seems like a pretty good solution. I have a lot of old saw blades I could cut up to make one. My only worry is making sure I do it right. But it seems easy enough.
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/63232
https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/power-tools/woodworking-discussion-forum/25492-r4511-low-profile-riving-knife-homemade

Another option is just getting the microjig splitter. But in Canada they are $50 locally for the metal one. Seems pricey for a small plastic jig and some metal. They have a plastic version, but I feel like I'll break them often as I use my table saw as a bench a lot (small shop).
Ordering online is cheaper but not by much once you count shipping, the terrible CDN dollar, and border fees.
http://www.microjig.com/products/mj-splitter/

3rd option is a Frank Howarth style splitter. This would be fast and easy but same as above I think I'd break them. More so since they aren't removable. At least they'd be cheap to replace though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNXuYlwI8N0

The first option seems like the most fun solution. Thoughts?

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 9, 2015

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

While not as elegant a solution, maybe it would be easier to use 2 pieces of wood and cut a tapered half channel in each. You could offset the wood on an angle to get the taper you need in the corner of 2 pieces, then glue them together.
It won't look as nice but if you start with a larger piece of stock and split it beforehand you could hide the seam a bit better.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 19, 2015

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Steve Ramsay has a good video explaining how you can edge joint with a jig on the table saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrYjc3G1vgo

This is what I do. I bought a cheap Mastercraft jointer and the thing is garbage. Since I don't have the floor space or money for a real jointer yet I've done this route.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm making a few beer bottle openers for Christmas gifts and I'm wondering what I should finish them with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_Z2gF6PDdI/

I recently did an edge grain cutting board for a friend and used some of the same Padauk as the openers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_ac6TYvDX4

I love the look of it after just a mineral oil finish while it's still wet and glossy, so I wan't to recreate that. Generally I'd use some spray lacquer, but I'm all out so now is a great time to try something new. I mostly just use spray laquer these days, but I've tried a wipe on poly in the past as well. Neither seem appropriate though.
Any ideas?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I already have paste wax so that's easy. I'll give that a try, thanks!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

wormil posted:

I made a few videos and build videos are not for me. I don't like trying to make something while worrying about camera angles, lighting, the neighbor's dog, and whatnot. So any videos here on out are more likely to be me talking about something I made. Most of the time I don't need to see someone make something, I just want to see what they made. This is the latest, where I'm showing three different acoustic horns for phones.

I recently started a channel as well and found the opposite.
I only made my first video to show some friends and family how I made cutting boards. I recently did a big order for facebook friends and a few asked to see the process. The filming part isn't super fun and definitely slows you down, but I found editing to be a blast for some reason. After I filmed my first video I ended up losing track of time while editing and stayed up past 4am.

So here is my super amateur channel with 2 videos so far. The videos are kinda Diresta style as I dunno what I'm doing yet. But maybe as I go I'll develop my own style. I'd like to add some kind of voice over to make it more interesting, but being an amateur woodworking makes it more intimidating I guess. Which is kind of funny since I've done some public speaking to thousands before without issues.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWIt0x4jiHR987NWmiM9GBg

Cakefool posted:

I have Learned Lessons™ yesterday. First I got to close to a nail I thought I'd sunk and munged a chunk out of my plane, need to get cracking with the grinding/sharpening learning now.

I feel your pain. Last year I got a new plane for Christmas and I decided to test it out on just some random scrap 2x4 I had. Ended up going too deep hitting the the thread screw I had no idea was in the other side and taking a nice chunk out of a brand new plane.
On the bright side I got to go boxing day shopping for a sharpening stone and jig...

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 21, 2015

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

wormil posted:

I don't mind filming or editing but I find that doing it while I'm building something takes the pleasure out of building something. It does give you a pretty good idea of how many hours guys like Jay Bates, Frank Howarth, John Heisz and others put into filming and editing. Maybe if I had a bigger shop or at least taller ceiling so I could get the camera up out of the way I would mind it less. As it is, my shop is so cramped that the camera is usually an impediment to moving around. There is also a lot of competition to come up with fresh ideas so if you think of something new, keep it to yourself until you film it otherwise you might find a similar idea popping up on someone else's channel.

I feel your pain with the small shop. Mine is a 1 car garage and it has bikes, a snow blower, and all that eating up my space. I have a mini tripod like this I've found invaluable. It's great to just wrap it around whatever to get some neat angles. I even wrapped it around my garage door rails for one far away shot. Worked well.

It still is a huge time sink for sure. It really does show that fulltime youtubers work a lot more hours than it would appear.

You're right about the insane competition. This list of youtube woodworkers is well over 300 long now. (You can submit yours as well). I'm sure it's nowhere near all of them too.
So far I'm still getting the hang of things, so original ideas probably won't be anytime soon. I plan to just start with the typical projects like making a mallet and other shop projects while I figure out my own style. At least it's just a hobby so competing for success isn't paramount.

In non video related content. Breaking a band saw blade will never cease to be extremely terrifying. This is my 2nd one this year, I think I'm pushing my bench top delta too hard. I need a bigger one that can handle thicker stock better. I got the plans to make Matthias's 16", but it's a pretty daunting project so I keep putting it off.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

It was a cheap all purpose blade from Candian Tire. I was just cutting the tall side of a 2x4 making some of those reindeer ornaments as stocking stuffers. It's basically the max height of my saw though so I am definitely pushing it.
I mostly attribute it to a lack of patience I guess. This was my 5th ornament and I was getting sick of them, so I was going a bit faster than I should have. The saw isn't overly powerful so going fast with thick stock can jam the blade or slow it down if I push it too hard.

I've never been quite sure how much tension to put on the blade either. So that could be a contributing factor. I've tried to research it a lot, but it's still hard to dial in and know it's correct as an amateur. I feel like it's as correct as I can get it, but really dunno for sure!

Luckily with the blade guard and everything it's not super dangerous. Just makes a really scary sound.

mds2 posted:

BANG!

Ah gently caress.

The worst part about breaking a blade is, at least for me, they seem to embed in whatever I was cutting and it sucks.

Yeah... I had to rip it out with some plyers afterwards.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm just using an Olympus Tough my fiance bought for our vacation. I don't think we paid near that much though so it might be we own an earlier model than in that link.
Since it is a waterproof camera I figured it would be mostly saw dust proof as well.

It's probably not the best camera, but she wouldn't let me use her fancy DSLRs. I'm pretty happy with the results for now. If I ever record voice I could see myself wanting an upgrade though.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I got some xmas money and decided it was time to get some more clamps. I've mostly been using those irwin quick release clamps, and they just aren't great. They have their role but just suck for complicated or heavy glue ups.

I thought I could get some sweet boxing week deals, but man I was wrong. Clamp prices in Canada are just hosed. I see posts like this reddit post where someone gets 18 screw clamps for $45 and it just makes me sad. That's just unheard of here. Those clamps are $15-20 each here in Canada and never seem to be on sale. :smith:

I think it might be time to watch for a sale and then take a road trip to buffalo. I'm only like 90 min from the border.
I know Harbor Freight seems to get a lot of hate, but it seems like $2.99 clamps is too good to be true...

Anyone have advice on getting cheap clamps in Canada? I've been scouring CL/Kijiji with no luck. Maybe somewhere I can order online?

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 29, 2015

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Opioid posted:

Also, in Canada, similar location as you. Back in Nov I got a 4-pack of Bessey clamps for $20 at Home Depot. It's no 18 clamps for $45 but it's still pretty cheap.

Nice. That's a good deal. I see those packs online for $30 right now. Sadly no stores near me have them in stock. I'd have to drive out to Brampton to get some. So maybe I'll luck out and they will restock soon locally.

I'm strongly debating a trip to Harbour Freight now. There is one just across the Niagara border which is a little over an hour drive. Those ones I linked seem to get decent reviews, however it seems the larger ones bend under high pressure.
I use pipe clamps for anything large so I'm mostly interested in the 6-12" variety. Their site says they ship internationally as well, though I think I have to call them as the checkout won't accept a non US postal code.
Even with our poo poo dollar I'd save $10 per pack compared to that $30 set. So if I buy enough it'd come out ahead even after gas costs.
Though maybe border fees will kill those savings.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

midge posted:

I'm in Toronto and feel the same pain. If anyone ia up for some kind of group buy/shipping deal, I'm all for it.

I contacted Harbour Freight about their Canadian shipping. For an order that came to $62.85 USD they wanted $52.97 USD in shipping. The sad thing is that's still almost cheaper than buying that many locally. :smith:
Admittedly it IS a heavy order being 15 clamps. But it's still too cost prohibitive for my tastes. I might have to make the road trip sometime in Jan.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Anyone here setup dust collection systems with a 1HP dust collector?

I'm looking to reorganize my shop and finally get proper dust collection going. Im sick of lugging the DC or shop vac around and dealing with hoses on the floor.
I did some googling however and it sounds like a 1HP just isn't enough for a dedicated system. However these were mostly tech like documents so I was wondering if anyone had hands on experience before I drop a bunch of cash on PVC.

My shop is a single car garage. I think it's at most 16 feet long.

I feel like im constantly battling a disorganized shop. I badly need to get more outlets installed, better dust collection, and more shelving made.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I notice something similar with mine as well with the suction. So maybe it's time for an upgrade.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Making your own is an interesting idea. I've watched Matthias videos on his small one. It looks doable but also like a lot of work. Getting a balanced impeller that doesn't draw too much power and kill the motor would make me nervous. A lot of trial and error to get that right.

You're right about the parts adding up fast though. I was hoping to go clear PVC just so you can see any jams/issues. But it's pricey, and hard to find. Then blast gates and hoses and everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

His Divine Shadow posted:

The impeller is the difficult part to build if you scale it up, the one wandel made would be easier to build if you just follow the instructions and it should give you pretty good performance for it's size. But it wouldn't be for a stationary system, all that ducting would steal too much power.

Yeah I'm more interested in something stationary. I find myself slacking on dust collection out of laziness/hose annoyance and I know that's bad. I do wear a mask but It's still not the best and leads to more wasted time in the end cleaning. It's not so bad in the summer when I can leave the garage door open, but in the winter it's less ideal.
Guess I'll troll craigslist and kijiji hoping to find something decent used, and try to work on my lovely habits.