Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ProperCauldron posted:

if anybody is looking to cringe so hard their spine snaps in half, EHX head/founder/social media manager(?) uploaded an anti-union piano ballad and music video to their official EHX youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd1Km_GVGmk

i really wanted to like EHX pedals because I'm from nyc too but their stuff always had a shrill/icepicky quality to them. i even bought one of their t-shirts and it fits like poop rear end and the logo is too low on the fabric too

The little snowflake made it private

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

The Leck posted:

OCD does sound fantastic though. I got mine out again recently and I had forgotten how good it was. Also, it will piss everyone off - it’s Fulltone, it’s got comic sans all over it, it’s version 2.0, not 1.4 or 1.7. I bought mine used, so I think I’m in the clear.

Mines a 1.4 but I have no recollection of whether I bought it used or new. I've heard it really shines when you give it 18v which I plan to try once I finally buy a real power supply instead of my 1spot daisy chain.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Do you mind linking this thread?

Sure thing!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006636&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I tell you what else is fun, having a Fulltone OCD bought in 2011ish, checking out of the gear hunt for a decade and coming back in 2023 to find out Mike Fuller is a racist piece of poo poo.

Lol this thing is dead simple too.

Two op amps, a couple mosfets for clipping, and a basic bitch passive tone stack. There are a million overdrives that are almost exactly the same

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

One of the better cheap-ish OCD clones is (regrettably) the EHX OD Glove. Joyo Ultimate Drive is another.

EHX pedals are cheap enough that you kinda had to assume the labor situation wasn’t good.

I need to find someone that wants ironically large pedals to take a Full Drive 2 and Germanium 4 Big Muff (which isn’t a real big muff?) off my hands.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJGos1D1ha8

So I preordered this tonight. I've never really looked into Klons before, but this kit looks fun and relatively cheap so I couldn't pass it up.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Lol I almost got one, but i already have a klone I built myself

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the original release had a cool golden ticket thing. i think the building it idea is a fun spin on the klon hype for pedal guys

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I have a DOD fx50b that I love, but is starting to crap out. It wouldn't be expensive to replace, but I wouldn't mind getting something a little more high end but with a similar sound/response. People compare it to a Boss SD1 but to me the DOD has a more open sound, and is more reactive to where you set the drive knob. Not looking for a clone exactly, but something that has a similar character. Anyone have any recommendations?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

ricecult posted:

I have a DOD fx50b that I love, but is starting to crap out. It wouldn't be expensive to replace, but I wouldn't mind getting something a little more high end but with a similar sound/response. People compare it to a Boss SD1 but to me the DOD has a more open sound, and is more reactive to where you set the drive knob. Not looking for a clone exactly, but something that has a similar character. Anyone have any recommendations?

Pretty much anything based on a dod 250 will get you there. There's literally hundreds of options including the reissue dod 250.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Pretty much anything based on a dod 250 will get you there. There's literally hundreds of options including the reissue dod 250.

Do you have any favorites or recommendations Outside of the reissue?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

ricecult posted:

So I looked up the schematic for this pedal and it is almost exactly like an SD1 or a tube screamer, except the tone stack is after the level control. This makes it act more like a full range boost at low levels, and a top boost at high levels. Interesting design, and probably why it sounds the way it does. I honestly can't find anything similar, other than maybe another tube screamer. My default advice there is the EQD Plumes, that's the best sounding one I've played and it has some different clipping modes, which is always nice.

What exactly is wrong with the DOD pedal? Is it something that you would be interested in getting rehoused or repaired? That's always an option too and something I've done a couple times with other pedals.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Armacham posted:

So I looked up the schematic for this pedal and it is almost exactly like an SD1 or a tube screamer, except the tone stack is after the level control. This makes it act more like a full range boost at low levels, and a top boost at high levels. Interesting design, and probably why it sounds the way it does. I honestly can't find anything similar, other than maybe another tube screamer. My default advice there is the EQD Plumes, that's the best sounding one I've played and it has some different clipping modes, which is always nice.

What exactly is wrong with the DOD pedal? Is it something that you would be interested in getting rehoused or repaired? That's always an option too and something I've done a couple times with other pedals.

Thanks for explaining what it's actually doing! I like it a lot, and finding them isn't hard but I don't want to keep buying old ones. The switch on mine isn't reliable, and just the other day it started cutting in and out (checked patch cables, etc). It may be fixable, not sure if it's worth rehousing, I'd like to find something similar but a step up in construction and sound. Even though I already like it, I imagine there are pedals that take it further.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Just from seeing a few forum posts it seems like that's a common issue with that line of pedals. It would be pretty easy to rehouse with a better switch and you could convert it to true bypass. I think I would have to switch it to a 1590bb sized enclosure to fit the PCB, so it would end up a little bigger. Honestly, if you are interested, PM me and I could give it a shot.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

ricecult posted:

Do you have any favorites or recommendations Outside of the reissue?

If you can find a used Earthquaker Devices Gray channel they're a great super versatile version of the circuit. The Plumes mentioned above always sounds great and has a lot of room for tone moving as well.

As a completely different option: find a local extreme gear nerd (pedal builder/amp repairer/possibly a luthier but less likely) and chuck them some cash to rehouse your existing pedal. They can out it in a new box with a modern stomp switch etc, recap it if necessary, and you should get years and years more life out of it.

E: FB by someone who can even do the job lol

Kingo Ligma fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 25, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Gray channel is a good option too. I forgot to mention that the DOD 250 and a couple of the other fx pedals are the same or a similar circuit so it may be worth looking at the reissues that just came out recently l.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Josh Scott of JHS is sure that the DOD FX50b is not closely related to the DOD250. This contradicts what other people often say about it. Seems like he would know (this should be set to start at 33:10):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx3GsD2XBZU&t=1990s

ricecult posted:

What you are describing reminds me of what people say about modded Boss BD-2 Blues Drivers. The standard setup for a BD-2 has some settings where it can sound quite bad, and might not be very close to what you want. However, popular mods to the BD-2 fixed some of those problems.

Among mods for it, Robert Keeley had the famous "Super Phat" mod. Keeley Electronics now just sells a true bypass'd Super Phat Mod pedal in a standard (non-Boss) enclosure. The Waza Craft BD-2 in "custom" mode is alleged to be very similar, if not identical, to Keeley's mods. You might be able to demo a Waza BD-2 in a store?

In terms of circuit topology, a BD-2 is way different to what I've seen for the FX-50B, so you just gotta trust your ears to see if this is in the ballpark for you.

Comparison of modded BD-2s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUB4zXDwuPI

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Major Operation posted:

Josh Scott of JHS is sure that the DOD FX50b is not closely related to the DOD250. This contradicts what other people often say about it. Seems like he would know (this should be set to start at 33:10):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx3GsD2XBZU&t=1990s

What you are describing reminds me of what people say about modded Boss BD-2 Blues Drivers. The standard setup for a BD-2 has some settings where it can sound quite bad, and might not be very close to what you want. However, popular mods to the BD-2 fixed some of those problems.

Among mods for it, Robert Keeley had the famous "Super Phat" mod. Keeley Electronics now just sells a true bypass'd Super Phat Mod pedal in a standard (non-Boss) enclosure. The Waza Craft BD-2 in "custom" mode is alleged to be very similar, if not identical, to Keeley's mods. You might be able to demo a Waza BD-2 in a store?

In terms of circuit topology, a BD-2 is way different to what I've seen for the FX-50B, so you just gotta trust your ears to see if this is in the ballpark for you.

Comparison of modded BD-2s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUB4zXDwuPI

Yeah I'd listen to JHS, he's a lot smarter than I am with that stuff.

Here's the FX50B,

It would be pretty easy to stick diode switching in there too, as well as similar mods to the BD2.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Oh man thanks everyone for the info. I've never played a DOD 250, but watching videos it seems close but not the same, and I wasn't sure why, so it makes sense that it has something different going on.

Checking out pedals, the EQD gray channel seems super versatile and definitely close, and probably better over all. I have to do some more research and see if I can find a way to try some more things out.

Not related directly to the fx50 or 250 but I stumbled upon the EAE Longsword, which also looks intriguing and in the ballpark.

The fx50 definitely has something unique about it though and I'm wondering if it's worth rehousing/modding.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
best cost to benefit phaser? I don't want to bring my bi-phase on my pedalboard

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

muike posted:

best cost to benefit phaser? I don't want to bring my bi-phase on my pedalboard
I’ve been really happy with my Phase 95, and it’s tiny. I bought it because I didn’t know what kind of phaser I wanted, and it’s ended up on the Phase 90 Script setting almost exclusively. I’d be curious to hear other people’s experiences with more complex phasers

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The FX50b is a Tube Screamer (soft clipping+gain+mid-boost and an active tone control) with 250/Distortion+/Rat-style hard clipping between the soft clipping/gain and the active tone control.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The FX50b is a Tube Screamer (soft clipping+gain+mid-boost and an active tone control) with 250/Distortion+/Rat-style hard clipping between the soft clipping/gain and the active tone control.

And I love it so much. Is there another pedal that works quite the same way? Or is there a combination of pedals that would theoretically get somewhere close?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ricecult posted:

And I love it so much. Is there another pedal that works quite the same way? Or is there a combination of pedals that would theoretically get somewhere close?

The Proco Brat adds soft clipping but doesn’t have the active tone control. The DOD kinda has its own thing going on. You could add hard clipping to a TS and you’d have the same thing and it wouldn’t be hard to do. Connect parallel opposing diodes between the output of the opamp and the input of the tone control and then connect the other end of the diodes to ground. There might be some other slight value differences but that’s that’ll get you 98% there.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

They're so cheap online that I might buy one and rehouse it anyway lol

Edit: I was thinking on this and another good option might be a Honey Bee Overdrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4-Ya60H7M

Armacham fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 26, 2023

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

ricecult posted:

If you have a pedal sound that you really love already, it may not make sense to try to reinvent it with other pedals. Nothing else will ever sound exactly the same. You should look into getting more examples of the same pedal while they are still relatively cheap, at least.

Also, getting a pedal rehoused is not just a thing that some weirdos on the internet do. I have heard it is pretty common for session players to get old Ibanez MT10s rehoused to keep them working, and Tom Bukovac has (had?) an old Nobels ODR-1 rehoused that shows up on pictures of his pedal board.

I imagine its probably not cheap to have a pedal professionally rehoused, but you know you won't be disappointed by the sound you get in the end. The same really couldn't be said for buying or modding other pedals to try to get close.

Major Operation fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 26, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rehousing? [“ewww!” Drake]

Carefully removing every component to measure their exact value and then recreating the circuit from a PCB you bought online? [“That’s what I’m talking about!” Drake]

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I've done some DIY stuff but never really thought about doing pedals, maybe this is calling out to me to be my first project. I don't really have time for it now, but maybe I will grab one or two so I can tackle down the road.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

ricecult posted:

I've done some DIY stuff but never really thought about doing pedals, maybe this is calling out to me to be my first project. I don't really have time for it now, but maybe I will grab one or two so I can tackle down the road.

Feel free to pop into the diy thread if you have any questions or anything!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851429

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've been looking at tonebenders, and there's a million options! Anyone have one they like for something in the Mk1/1.5/2 style with some modern conveniences like not being huge and using a power supply instead of batteries?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Skreddy Lunar Module. My favorite ‘Bender.

Edit: although $250 for a TB is steep. Might be inclined to just make a Lunar Module. I designed a PCB for it for funs if anyone is interested.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Skreddy Lunar Module. My favorite ‘Bender.

Edit: although $250 for a TB is steep. Might be inclined to just make a Lunar Module. I designed a PCB for it for funs if anyone is interested.

:justpost:

Pedalpcb also has the fuzz Aldrin, can't vouch for how good or close it is.
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/aldrinfuzz/

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if i don't want to run my dl-2 on my board because i don't want to mix 9v and 12v power, what's a nice tap tempo 9v pedal i can use? alternatively, what can i do to run them off one power supply?

edit: i guess i could get a real power supply

muike fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 8, 2024

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

muike posted:

if i don't want to run my dl-2 on my board because i don't want to mix 9v and 12v power, what's a nice tap tempo 9v pedal i can use? alternatively, what can i do to run them off one power supply?

edit: i guess i could get a real power supply

If you like the dl2 the obvious answer would be the dl3t. There's literally hundreds of options of tap tempo delay tho. Other options would be modding the DL2 to take 9v or often those old ACA boss pedals will work fine off 9v if you place a more modern regular 9v boss pedal in the signal chain directly before them.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Just daisy chain it off another boss PSA 9v pedal and it should work fine.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
YO!

I'm the sort of nerd who does pedal demos on YouTube. There's always an eternal debate about what goes where and what does what. So I thought I'd throw my hate in the ring and try to do a bit of a comprehensive video about what the main kinds of guitar pedals are, and roughly where they should go on your pedalboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo7XiTWX8qE

Here's the order I recommend:

However, as I stress in the video, there's no real "rules" to this, rather it's a series of semi-serious suggestions.

As proof of concept though, the end is an improvised jam (wank session) where I play through my own board, showing how things stack and sound good with the way I have things set up. But if you're more keen on watching somebody gently caress around with pedals rather than rant about pedals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M192dsSxJM

Here's the video of me loving around with my pedalboard making all sorts of fuzzy fun noises.

Hope you enjoy the video! Feel free to explain in great detail why I am wrong down below. If nothing else, I'm sure we'll get some good ideas on what pedals go where.

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
Thanks for the vid. It's always fun to hear different suggestions for signal chain. JHS did a video on the topic where they also demonstrated what would happen if you didn't follow the "rules."

I was a little surprised to see the tuner at the end though. I have it in the beginning and it does a pretty good job at muting my setup when activated. I would think that it would be a hassle to have to turn off all other pedals when tuning.

Also I wouldn't have a noise gate after delay/reverb as it does tend to mess with the repeats of those effects. If you are having problems with your noise gate unintentionally killing your tone and you have something like the Boss NS-2 I can recommend using the send/return loop. It makes it easier to dial the pedal in to just filter out noise.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I would like more information on why you chose the noise gate/tuner placement. My tuner at the front of my board will mute everything just fine. Everything else I can see the argument for.

Personally my order is:
Fuzz>wah>tuner>Boss NSX>compressor>various drives, boosts, and distortions>back to the Noise gate> chorus>flanger>delay>reverb>tremolo

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I should have specified in the video, that I'm always running my delay\reverb in my FX loop. So therefore the noise gate isn't impacting the delay\reverb at all.

Tuner can work just fine first but it won't kill the noise from your signal chain. If your amp is noisy and you run a boost 100% of the time, having the tuner last will kill all the noise from your entire signal chain. Honestly the only time when a pedal will really impact the "pitch" from being left on is a modulation pedal, so as long as that is off when you go to tune, it's a better "shut the gently caress up" switch without sacrificing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

If I have an effects loop I usually will include the preamp in the loop of the noise gate and then I usually don't have an issue with it.