Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Anyone seen (or tried, despite them not shipping yet) this?

I will admit, I'm an equipment whore for things with lots of screens and buttons, and I even said to a friend before "why don't they move multi-effects away from amp modelling and more towards stompbox modelling". Never tried Line6's effects before, but I've heard both good and bad things about them.

Probably cost a shitton though.

(edit: Just more expensive than the Pod X3 Live. Price will probably drop over the year or so, I might pick one up later.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Deacon of Delicious posted:

Agreed, you mentioned using VSTs with guitar. I'm poor and way too inexperienced, so I have no business spending money on good effects just yet. I've download VSThost and a few VST effects, but I'd be interested in "FAQs on using VSTs with guitar without having to spend any money, etc."

I'm going to assume you don't have any method of connecting your guitar to your computer. Soundcards and stuff are expensive, so you want some kind of USB interface. You probably want the cheapest option, so I'd suggest the Line 6 Toneport GX. (There's a cheaper one, but I can't find it. It might have been discontinued, look it up on ebay or something)*. It'll come with simple instructions, just plug it in, hey, you're ready to go.

Now, I'm just going to go through how my setup works here (I don't use a toneport myself, so it could be a lot simpler). As soon as you plug it in, Windows should recognise it as a USB Sound Card. What I do, is I set the microphone input to the guitar, and the output to my speakers. In my sound card drivers, I set the microphone input to "stereo mix". I dunno if I even have to do this, I don't think you do. Anyway, load up your VST host (Personally, I use Cantabile, you might want to try that too), load up your VST, and strum. Assuming everything have gone correctly, you should hear your guitar. Setup is relatively simple and I'm probably just overcomplicating things, you should be able to pick it up and play.

One problem you may encounter is lag. To attempt to fix this, download Asio4All. You should be able to change the audio driver in the settings of your VST host. The toneport may come with it's own ASIO drivers, if they work fine, just stick with them.

Anyway, this is just the basic groundwork, I understand I'm kinda all over the place in this post (stream of conciousness), so if there's anything you need to explain further, just ask, and I'm sure Agreed will help out (and he knows far more than me ;)). The main thing you need to think about is connecting your guitar to the computer. The rest is relatively simple.

*There isn't a cheaper one, I got confused.