Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Fair enough the lines can be blurry at times especially in the case of the HM2, rat and even some guitar amps which can get pretty square-wavey when pressed.

There are some distinctions it’s good to know before you go fuzz shopping though like the “it goes before your tuner in the chain” thing and the way it messes up chord playing. I spent years hating fuzz and not understanding why it was making my playing sound flat instead of a powerful wall of sound before I realised it needs to be approached in a certain way to do that.

Apparently the smashing pumpkins despite being known for the big miff sound on album were reluctant to use it live much back in the day because of the way it can just turn a guitar mix into compressed scooped mush.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I am not sure what thread this question belongs in, but can somebody break down what sonic characteristics of an analogue (or analogue-modeling) compressor make it so desireable? I understand the difference between digital and analogue when it comes to a lot of effects, but I am not sure what I am supposed to be listening for when it comes to compressors, beyond some vague notions of "warmth" or whatever.

It depends on the compressor, its like guitar amps where a given one may have certain characteristics you may or may not find pleasing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

MXR fullbore reverb is IMO one of the worst pedals I have ever played.

If I really wanted metal tone in a box and didnt want to splash out on something like diezels pedal I'd go digital and get something like mooers single stomp amp modellers.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 21, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

OCD can probably do metal on its own if you're talking JCM800 tones.

e; or with a tube screamer in front

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sqgZ00WP4

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 23, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DOD rubberneck can do it as well as a bunch of weird stuff.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boss OC5 has been announced. It has pitch detection to add bass from only the lowest note in the chord (OC3 just set a range of notes)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I question if a sub octaver is really what you want. Since adding a new fundemental just kinda sounds like a muddy mess most of the time. What you need is a rig that has well tuned low end, I mean you’re not the first bass player in the world to want a bass sound that makes your chest go thunk, so if it isn’t doing that maybe time to try two amps or a new cab or an EQ or something.

The problem here is that what you’re basically asking for is: power. Which is what makes a bass sound that pounds hard. Trying to fake that with a pedal or something won’t work because it’s all dependant on the ability of the output system to make that happen loud (there’s already low frequency rumble on a bass, it’s just not audible without a system to make it so)

The simplest way to do that is to rock up with an awesome bass cab with multiple 18” cones and poo poo. But I don’t know how committed you are to the boom if you want to transport that.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 14, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boss DD7/8. I've owned like 3 DD7's because I kept selling them, trying to get something more feature packed and better and coming back to them. Great sound bonehead simple.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I always thought the distinctions people made about muffs was cork sniffing but Russians (green and black) really are different from the others. They're bitey and aggressive whereas triangle knob muffs are horrible flat mid scooped mix ruiners.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

They have a few dodgy practices though, like I'm pretty sure they've ripped DSP, not just circuits in the past. Also this weird thing

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxe7qx/a-major-synth-company-created-this-fake-product-to-attack-a-journalist

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

An isolated power supply is hard to come back from when you see just how much quieter your pedals are you can’t un hear the daisy chain noise you were getting before.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There are so many goddamn delays out there. I like the Boss DD7/8 for the feature set and the very solid tones. TCs flashback is another good all in one.

Of the 20 or so I've owned the only one I did not like was the EHX memory boy which felt like an inferior DMM, but I find the DMM sound too bright and clangy anyway.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Having owned both its hard to say which is better, drop or helix capo effect (both designed by the same team, albeit in a non contract violating way that’s different).

Helix seems to get lower without getting muddy, maybe tracks a little faster. Drop sounds a bit better as long as it doesn’t go under -3.

Helix capo takes up about 25% DSP of the bigger units 50% DSP of the stomp.but that leaves enough for other effects and amps if you pick the light ones (I always use the JC120 amp anyway and thats v simple)

Any form of digital retuning always feels slightly weird anyway cause your strings resonate at a different pitch to the sound. You may not even like it regardless. I can I will use a physical capo instead.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You can dial in a delay by ear and don’t really need exact bpm since the echo only happens a few times and then it’s gone. So if it’s 118 bpm and the song is at 120 it will have faded out before it becomes an issue. It’s not like a sequencer where that 2bpm difference will accumulate till the tracks are totally out of sync.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It means little these days. Personally I dont like the memory man sound even though theyre analog. If you want the pink Floyd binson echorec sound you'll have to go digital unless you want to drop several grand. Id just buy a DL4 mk2 and be done with it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

When dealing in a tone on guitar (or synth) I always think to some degree youre trading on cultural associations of that sound. So chorus is always gonna be a little bit 80s/(90s if its distorted), spring reverb and trem is a bit old school because they literally came built into the amp in the 50s and so on. Rotary and phase are psychedelic.

This isnt always the case if youre for example dealing in a chorus real subtly in a mix as an actual thickener to the point its not immediately noticeable as chorus but its always at the back of my mind.

The interesting thing is the sub associations within each era, so chorus can be the sound of cornball 80s hair ballad sure, but chorus can also be goth. I suppose thats kind of like the way items of clothing work as signifiers too, bushy beards can say 'lumberjack' or 'hipster'.

So yeah I think your friend has a point, you can get away with using rotary for a lot of things if you just need modulation since its just a variable chorusey/phasey thing, but its not the same as dressing for purpose.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing that gets me about pedal order is that when someone asks about it you get people espousing the differences between delay>reverb vs reverb> delay

There’s little to no difference. Mayb a subtle difference if one of them distorts or modulates but if both are linear you can try it in a daw, phase invert and get silence.