Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kingo Ligma posted:

I have a Squier bass VI and haven't found any need for bass specific pedals - the main difference is just an input cap value anyway with the occasional tweak to a tone circuit. The VI is only one octave below guitar so most pedals seem to capture it's full range. I really like a plain ol stock standard boss blues driver for gain on it, big muffs sound great for heavier, and a rat is pretty gnarly inbetween.

Yeah, I do have a blueberry bass OD that sounds really cool with my Bass VI but most of my guitar stuff sounds great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

One reason I only buy poo poo used or roll my own diy pedals.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

ProperCauldron posted:

if anybody is looking to cringe so hard their spine snaps in half, EHX head/founder/social media manager(?) uploaded an anti-union piano ballad and music video to their official EHX youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd1Km_GVGmk

i really wanted to like EHX pedals because I'm from nyc too but their stuff always had a shrill/icepicky quality to them. i even bought one of their t-shirts and it fits like poop rear end and the logo is too low on the fabric too

The little snowflake made it private

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I tell you what else is fun, having a Fulltone OCD bought in 2011ish, checking out of the gear hunt for a decade and coming back in 2023 to find out Mike Fuller is a racist piece of poo poo.

Lol this thing is dead simple too.

Two op amps, a couple mosfets for clipping, and a basic bitch passive tone stack. There are a million overdrives that are almost exactly the same

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Lol I almost got one, but i already have a klone I built myself

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

ricecult posted:

I have a DOD fx50b that I love, but is starting to crap out. It wouldn't be expensive to replace, but I wouldn't mind getting something a little more high end but with a similar sound/response. People compare it to a Boss SD1 but to me the DOD has a more open sound, and is more reactive to where you set the drive knob. Not looking for a clone exactly, but something that has a similar character. Anyone have any recommendations?

So I looked up the schematic for this pedal and it is almost exactly like an SD1 or a tube screamer, except the tone stack is after the level control. This makes it act more like a full range boost at low levels, and a top boost at high levels. Interesting design, and probably why it sounds the way it does. I honestly can't find anything similar, other than maybe another tube screamer. My default advice there is the EQD Plumes, that's the best sounding one I've played and it has some different clipping modes, which is always nice.

What exactly is wrong with the DOD pedal? Is it something that you would be interested in getting rehoused or repaired? That's always an option too and something I've done a couple times with other pedals.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Just from seeing a few forum posts it seems like that's a common issue with that line of pedals. It would be pretty easy to rehouse with a better switch and you could convert it to true bypass. I think I would have to switch it to a 1590bb sized enclosure to fit the PCB, so it would end up a little bigger. Honestly, if you are interested, PM me and I could give it a shot.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Gray channel is a good option too. I forgot to mention that the DOD 250 and a couple of the other fx pedals are the same or a similar circuit so it may be worth looking at the reissues that just came out recently l.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Major Operation posted:

Josh Scott of JHS is sure that the DOD FX50b is not closely related to the DOD250. This contradicts what other people often say about it. Seems like he would know (this should be set to start at 33:10):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx3GsD2XBZU&t=1990s

What you are describing reminds me of what people say about modded Boss BD-2 Blues Drivers. The standard setup for a BD-2 has some settings where it can sound quite bad, and might not be very close to what you want. However, popular mods to the BD-2 fixed some of those problems.

Among mods for it, Robert Keeley had the famous "Super Phat" mod. Keeley Electronics now just sells a true bypass'd Super Phat Mod pedal in a standard (non-Boss) enclosure. The Waza Craft BD-2 in "custom" mode is alleged to be very similar, if not identical, to Keeley's mods. You might be able to demo a Waza BD-2 in a store?

In terms of circuit topology, a BD-2 is way different to what I've seen for the FX-50B, so you just gotta trust your ears to see if this is in the ballpark for you.

Comparison of modded BD-2s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUB4zXDwuPI

Yeah I'd listen to JHS, he's a lot smarter than I am with that stuff.

Here's the FX50B,

It would be pretty easy to stick diode switching in there too, as well as similar mods to the BD2.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

They're so cheap online that I might buy one and rehouse it anyway lol

Edit: I was thinking on this and another good option might be a Honey Bee Overdrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4-Ya60H7M

Armacham fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 26, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

ricecult posted:

I've done some DIY stuff but never really thought about doing pedals, maybe this is calling out to me to be my first project. I don't really have time for it now, but maybe I will grab one or two so I can tackle down the road.

Feel free to pop into the diy thread if you have any questions or anything!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851429

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Skreddy Lunar Module. My favorite ‘Bender.

Edit: although $250 for a TB is steep. Might be inclined to just make a Lunar Module. I designed a PCB for it for funs if anyone is interested.

:justpost:

Pedalpcb also has the fuzz Aldrin, can't vouch for how good or close it is.
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/aldrinfuzz/

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Just daisy chain it off another boss PSA 9v pedal and it should work fine.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I would like more information on why you chose the noise gate/tuner placement. My tuner at the front of my board will mute everything just fine. Everything else I can see the argument for.

Personally my order is:
Fuzz>wah>tuner>Boss NSX>compressor>various drives, boosts, and distortions>back to the Noise gate> chorus>flanger>delay>reverb>tremolo

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

If I have an effects loop I usually will include the preamp in the loop of the noise gate and then I usually don't have an issue with it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Oh yeah totally. As long as you get the sound you want, the sky is the limit.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

I always head compressor first? is that not a thing?

It depends how you're using it. If it's like an always on subtle compression, I usually have it early. If I'm using it as more of a pronounced effect like with a dynacomp, I would put it later.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

H13 posted:

I think a noise gate circuit is KINDA similar to a compressor, it just kills the signal after a certain threshold rather than...y'know. Compressing it.

Depending on the circuit this is basically true. I've built noise gate pedals and compressor pedals that both use a CA3080 OTA chip, and the schematics are very similar.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I like to put my vibes pedal before my drives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

I'm looking for a LPF in pedal form, preferably that you can fix at a certain position with a knob PLUS have it be sweepable with an expression pedal. Something like a wah pedal/fixed wah but specifically a low pass filter.

This is for bass playing.

I don't have any personal recommendations, but I did find this one that might work? https://www.drscientist.ca/pedals/multi-mode-low-pass-filter/