Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Darth Fungus posted:

Another quick question. I'm thinking of getting an EH Holy Grail (reverb whore). There's a very specific sound that I want to achieve, that I've only heard in surf rock songs. It's this weird little reverby sound, I don't quite know how to describe it, sort of "twee twee" noise. Couldn't find a youtube of it, but its in the intro to Pipeline by The Lively Ones (not in the other versions). I remember turning the reverb to 10 on a fender amp in a store one day and I made that noise on accident and I love it. So my question is, will the Holy Grail be able to make that noise?

You might need a real spring reverb tank for that. It's what the surf dudes used, and I know Fender have them in a few of their amps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

The Fuzz Factory really has to be first in the chain (or, at least, after only TB pedals - you don't want to compromise the peculiar relationship of the input impedance to the guitar pickups' output impedance). My experience with the Zoom G2 to G9.2tt are that they can be configured to be very transparent. I was easily able to achieve unity gain with my G9.2tt. It might not be so easy with the lower end units, though.

I would honestly recommend that you pick up a better amp with an effects loop and run the G2 in the effects loop. Why in the world are you buying a Fuzz Factory to run into a 15W Fender practice amp anyway? That's putting the cart before the horse :)

The Fuzz Factory has a MOSFET input buffer - there shouldn't be much loading of the pickups like there would be in a Fuzz Face, so it doesn't really matter if it goes first or not.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The SHO is a single MOSFET boost, he just loving bitches about MOSFETs not being FETs (despite the clue in the name). The Fuzz Factory is actually a SHO into a Ge Fuzz Face that has a bunch of resistors replaced with pots.

I haven't played a Factory myself, so I can't really comment on how it sounds with a buffer in front of it, but I am certain there is an internal buffer in there and I would have thought it would sound the same with or without anything between the pedal and the guitar.

edit: I just looked this up, and it seems the Fuzz Factory has a Si BJT input buffer, not a FET. It is the SHO and Box of Rock (and other SHO based stuff) that uses MOSFETs. I guess a BJT buffer could load a guitar's pickups, so I stand corrected unless someone can back me up.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 9, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If the footswitch actually turned the power off, you would hear weird noise every time you turned the pedal on or off - you can try and pull a battery or power cable to hear this. It's easier to keep them on all the time and have the switch decide whether they pass a signal or alter it.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Raze posted:

That's because 'she' used to be a 'he' and is transitioning to female at the moment.

Does anyone know anything about the Keeley true bypass mod for Dunlop Crybabies? How easy would it be for a relative newbie to the soldering/etc. to do (or should I just bite the bullet and pay for them to do it)?

It's pretty easy.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/tb4.html
http://misterwookie.blogspot.com/2006/03/crybaby-wah-pedal-true-bypass.html

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

3toes posted:

HALLELUIAH!

I think this thing is going to be released July 7th. Really want to hear this. I bet it sounds nasty on guitar as well with the bass boost.

Wonder if bass players will have to pay more. The DIY/booteek guys have been tinkering with these out for years, its cool Ehx are doing one now.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It was :20bux: last time.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Right now I'm hardcore jonesing for a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Sig. Silicon Fuzz. Those things are the best sounding production fuzz pedal I've ever heard, and well worth the price. Boutique quality from a big manufacturer. Best sounding silicon fuzz I've ever played.

Are these the ones in the big round Fuzz Face enclosures? I heard they sound like rear end.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

It's the big blue one. And you heard wrong. It's a repro of the silicon chip version of the original fuzz face (I've already got a great germ fuzz face mod/clone), point-to-point wired, true bypass, faithful down to the type of transistor and to the lack of a battery eliminator jack. Sounds amazing if you like what the Fuzz Face has to offer.

The only reason not to like it would be if you don't like the Fuzz Face sound.

I haven't played one, but I seem to remember the DIY community were buying these for change in pawn shops and gutting them to make Ge FF replicas. Looking around online, it looks like the JH1 and the JH2 were the lovely pedals, is the JH-F1 different?

The Dallas Arbiter reissue is cheaper and apparently has the original Germanium trannies, have you played that one?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Leninboarrir posted:

Thanks for the info! One other question: I don't currently have a preamp, and people have been telling me I should get one, especially because I play with pedals. Any recommendations?

Wha..? Do you have an amp? The pre-amp is the first stage in your amp. If you have that Marshall amp then you have a pre-amp.

Do you mean an external pre? :confused:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If you have to play with headphones you could just ditch the little amp and use some nice phones straight into a multi-fx with the amp and cab modelling turned on.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You could also buy a whole bunch of these http://www.music123.com/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-150146-i1175542.Music123

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I've wanted one of those for a while but I can't seem to figure out how they work. The pictures never show batteries or power jacks so it might not be a motor, if it's some clever system where moving the pedal translates to a rotational force then it's really loving awesome.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Couldn't you commission a clone for less than that? I've seen quite a few McMeat DIY jobs, surely some one could do one for less than $350.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I would have thought that a clone would run like 200-250$. There's a whole bunch of drilling and there are a lot of pots and jacks but it's not a ridiculously complicated circuit. There are dudes really into building pedals who bulk order stuff and could get the costs pretty low, you should hit up the DIY forums and see if someone could give you a quote.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Um, distortion? Maybe a noise gate too?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zakalwe posted:

I play drop C on one of my guitars and I needed to make up a custom set from 12-60 to get something approaching normal tension. Below B the strings get too floppy for my tastes.

I know some guys who play Doom in C standard on 13s, but that's going for a "normal" sounding tone and string tension, not a brutal sound.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I missed one of those for €25, really pissed.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
A noise gate will mute your guitar when you are not playing - so when your signal goes below a certain threshold level it shuts it off. If you play with high-gain this is really useful because any small sound would otherwise end up as an amplified distorted sound, and noise can turn into hiss or feedback.

It's pretty hard to play tight, clean start-stop metal rhythms without a gate.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Probably not if you recorded the guitars with distortion. The noise is already there, a gate wouldn't help much. You could manually edit the spaces between notes, but that would be difficult and time-consuming.

If you have recordings try it, I don't think it would work very well but I could be wrong.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Yeah, the gate should remove the noise between every note. Check out some youtube videos of the Boss NS-2 or the ISP Decimator, noise gates are one of the few effects where youtube demos are pretty reliable.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

hamaien posted:

So I need (want) a fuzz pedal now that I have everything else I needed (wanted). Seeing as how there are probably a few thousand choices out there, where is a good starting point? Other than Devi Ever and Zvex, what are some good fuzz brands out there?

Also, is there anyone who makes a clone of Zvex's Machine pedal?

Zvex is pretty aggressive about protecting his IP, if you do find someone who'll do a clone it'll probably be a wink-wink under the table deal.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The Fish 'n Chips is a great pedal - quieter than the Boss 7-band, only with a cheaper switch and jacks. If you don't mind giving money to Danelectro it's totally worth it.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Old EHX pedals use thinner jacks, the same as the RAT series. New ones use BOSS-style jacks. You can buy adapters on eBay for next to nothing, but I'm fairly sure the Bass Muff uses a standard Boss 9v jack.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The old EHX and RAT pedals use jacks that look like mono 1/8" audio jacks, the power supplies look like this

Boss-style jacks have been more or less adopted as a standard nowadays, PSUs look like this

Something like this will do the job if you want a converter
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-18-1-SPOT-Converter?sku=151690

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 23, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
What tuning do you use? 31 and 62Hz are near the low B on a 5 string bass and a 7 string guitar respectively, if you don't tune that low then can only help by cutting out low-frequency noise (but lots of guitar amps, pedals and speakers will do that anyway)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

CalvinDooglas posted:

there's still an undertone component to any harmonic vibration

No there isn't, that's what a harmonic series is. There might be lower resonant modes of your instrument that can be detected by the pickups but they're going be very inharmonic.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Some do and some don't. There is endless debate online as to which pedals are which and if it even matters

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
EHX stuff, especially older stuff, is the easiest stuff to work on. Get it fixed. Or give it to me, whatever.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It's definitely the low frequencies that do the damage. Pickup output doesn't really come into it - do bass pickups really have higher outputs than the overdrive/distortion pedals that guitar players run in front of their amps?

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/drdecibel/secret_cabinetdesign.html

JC-120s are notoriously wideband and invincible, I wouldn't worry about it.

edit: I think the dangers of too much low-end are overstated. As long as you apply some common sense you should be fine. Just don't crank everything up if your speakers are struggling to produce much volume in that band, every moron with blown speakers seems to have tried this.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 3, 2010

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Vira posted:

Oh, I've tried that already, didn't have any luck.

But now that I know its a ground loop problem I'm finding a lot more information. Apparently one of these is the easiest/safest way to fix the problem. Thanks.

I can't seem to figure out what that is. If it's a passive filter then I guess it would work, I would still go with using a pedal to split the signal.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
There are very few analog reverb units in production, I don't think there are any analog reverb pedals.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Get a used one. Any production run with problems will have been weeded out by now

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
A friend of mine broke the power supply to your Tubeking onstage at Fibbers :ughh:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Yeah, I've been meaning to do something like that. It looks like power supplies are about €4-9, I'll probably just order something and re-use the jack connector from the old one.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

plester1 posted:

I was under the impression that the case took the load on any Boss pedal. I think the moving part of the pedal hits the case before it can overcompress that plastic part. I'll have to check when I get home.

I think this is right, stomping hard will just grind the lever pad into the case. The travel of the actuator that presses the switch is limited, I don't think it can apply any extra pressure if you push harder.

The popular 3pdt footswitches can definitely be damaged by excessive force or by pressing off-axis. I'm pretty sure there is an article online by one of Visual Sound techs, he said they have completely avoided returns with broken switches by moving to a momentary spring-loaded actuator pushing a small switch.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I can guarantee that if you live in a medium-sized city there are several DIY-happy dudes who will fix it for cheap.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Muffs in that size all have slanted enclosures.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm not particularly attached to it and I won't be doing the repair myself. I've got a Fulltone OCD and one of the newer Muffs for dirt so it's not like I need this one.

If you want to sell it then I might be interested. Which version is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Looks like a Tall Font Russian. You'd probably get 200-300USD for it.

edit: whoops, didn't see you have a replacement knob. The original knobs are impossible to source nowadays, so this is probably worth a little less