Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

screammachine posted:

Oh, it really matters. I knew someone who had their FF pretty deep into their chain and felt very apathetic about the pedal, I told them to put it first and all of a sudden they fell in love. You can't run two Fuzz Factories off of the same guitar signal (via a split cable) because the Fuzz Factory works intimately with your pickups and they cancel each other out. The further it is from first position the worse the pedal sounds. 2nd or 3rd in the chain is fine if its after true bypass pedals but really its got to be first to get the complete mojo.

This seems to be the case with my newly-purchased little big muff as well. If I put it before the autowah, I get autowah and fuzz with them both on. Sounds pretty neat. If I do it the other way, it sounds really quiet and crappy.

Might just be because of what the autowah does, though. No idea.

Also, I discovered that pedals drain the battery if you have the input plugged in, even if the pedal is off. I'm not sure why the all do this, but the internet seems to tell me they do. Seems like some pretty ridiculous engineering.

9volts are expensive these days :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

bisticles posted:

If your guitar isn't going out of tune while you're playing, you're not playing hard enough.

Eh... I dunno about that. I routinely do full+ step bends and everything stays in tune. Just normal grover tuners and a tune-o-matic bridge.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

I just tried one of these at a guitar store the other day on a recommendation from a guy I know there, and it is a really awesome pedal. It wasn't even designed as a guitar pedal at first I guess, but they made it into one because people liked it as a guitar effect.

It's kind of like a really, really transparent overdrive. It just seems to make all the properties of the sound of the guitar really come alive. It's hard to describe.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

the actual effect of that is just to introduce what amounts to a comb filter that adds some harmonic content to the treble. The "lo contour" is just a bass boosting circuit.

Isn't this the same sort of thing that an overdrive does? Some of them, at least.

I still need to try the new cool cat transod in person before I'd make a decision on this or that, though. Trying to find one anywhere has been a pain... probably gonna have to go to GC.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

hamaien posted:

I guess I should have included what specifically I was looking for. Basically, I want the most hosed up, textured, sputtering, 'gently caress you in the rear end and not call you the next day' fuzz. Bonus if you can switch it or roll it off and get a more normal fuzz sound. I've got an octave pedal so I have no need for an octave function.

It kind of sounds like you want a big muff or something similar. There's a lot of settings on them that get all sputtery and weird, and they're also pretty raunchy sounding in general.