Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I don't play guitar so take w/ a grain of salt but...

There's some sounds effects are essential for, like lots of synth stuff you NEED chorus on or eg anything that you use a flanger for. But then they can ruin other sounds too.

For me the rule of thumb is if you're not sure you need it, you don't need it. The other one is flange the god-damned hats/breaks/rimshots/etc.

Who else is using pedals on non-string stuff?

Been having a blast with my cheap BF-2, DS-1, and drum machine into a Mackie. I'm curious about drive stuff too - I'm hunting a klon clone cause people seem to only use those on guitars, and I ordered a Muff kit to start getting into DIY.

I had a dream (I think?) I saw a youtube demo of a TR-909 kick drum going through a Boss AC-3 acoustic simulator pedal and it made the weirdest, rawest techno kick sounds but I have not been able to track down the demo I dreamt/imagined since so I have no idea if I'm on to something or just hallucinating after too many reverb pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qebnkmvjiw

Someone was looking for one of these right?

I guess they do a tone shaping thing rather than pitch tracking so now I kind of want to play synths through it.

e: quoted two posts up!

Southern Heel posted:

I know that EHX have pedals which emulate oldschool Mellotrons, Organs, etc. - is there anything out there to get that 80's 'synthwave' sound? Big retro chord stabs, synth plucks, etc. a la Yamaha DX7? i'm guessing not, but just wanted to be sure :)

Your wish came true!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Gorgar posted:

The DD-20 is great poo poo.

Hows it do with line level stuff?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Schwza posted:

Just picked up a used lexicon mx200 to fill a rack slot and to mess around with at home but when I set it up all I get is a hum and the only time it makes any other noise is a loud pop/crack when I hit the 'audition' button. Anyone have any experience with these things? Running it through the effects loop so it shouldn't be a line level issue.

I do. Any specific questions? Yours sounds broken, it should be basically plug and play and all the knobs do what they seem like they would. Are you getting lights and display?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hmm I'd thought maybe it was power-related if it was humming (mine runs very cool and quiet) but who knows. Best of luck!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Pedal maker drama aside, thats really cool

They're doing something similar with their synths now with Studio Engineering (kind of similar for a couple of reasons) and my hope is we get like Chase Bliss or DAM next round.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey Bhabhi (or anyone), quick question. I'm pretty happen with the Hyperion we made but I wanna make tweaks. Tone knob (I'm going simple Muff style but am going to add a toggle switch to switch the cap for the mid scoop to a non-scooped value, that I've used Tone Stack Calculator to check), splat control (pot to refeed the circuit back to C5 makes a cool splatty effect) and the Oscillation control from the Hyperion 2. Most of the changes are outboard minus the new tone stack.

Anyway, I was watching some Hyperion videos and noticed that mine doesn't sound nearly as crazy on the gain. Still plenty for most applications, and easily as much as my Bass Muff, but not the crazy, almost crushed sounds when maxed. Did some digging and found something. I used MPSA13 and BC550 transistors instead of MPSA18s and they're good. BUT, I checked and somewhere along the way I got a 2N2907 instead of 2N2907A. And there's a hefty gain difference (almost double). So yeah, that'd do it.

Problem: I can't easily source 2N2907s not in bulk online. Locally I'm a little restricted. But doing some digging and spec wise the BC237 seems equivalent. It'll obviously be a little different but that's alright.
2N2907A Datasheet
BC237 Datasheet

That oughta work right? I can always buy some of the non-A and the BC237 and swap them but it's a pain in the arse to swap them once it's built. Or I'm lazy, whatever. Anyway, I was thinking about this as I know adding a tone stage will suck a bit of gain (and for this reason I'll probably have a mini switch to bypass the tone circuit completely). I don't want to do all the bits and then have it turn out I get less gain than I need.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Wait nvm I don't actually have a solution. Still curious!

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 1, 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Snowy posted:

So which pedal is most friendly to heavy drone drug music?

Eventide Space is the money-is-no-object answer. Ambient/droney synth people also like the Earthquaker Devices stuff (though watch the levels, I hear) and Strymon ones (also $$$).

Honestly I might just grab a Midiverb/Quadraverb for $50 if you can swing using a rack effect. Instant 90s. Get those MBV tonez.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

There's a lot more going on w/ PT2399s than just analog v digital. They're pretty intentionally cheap, lo-fi emulations of a BBD chip, so you get a really specific response... but I don't know anyone who thinks of them as clearer - brighter and noisier sure but that's not the same thing imo.

My BBD style delays, I have an echo shifter for dragging the fader, 2 of the Behringer DM-2 clones for stereo fun (I think all of those are the same chip as the CC), and a couple Eurorack PT2399s I built for noise stuff. (And a Clari(not) clone that doesn't really work but w/e). Analog BBD is a beautiful beautiful sound, and so is crystal clear digital delay, but a PT2399 isn't really either (its screeching noise feedback!) So don't feel bad about preferring the real poo poo imo.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Wowwwweeee this Behringer HM2 clone does exactly what I want a synth fuzz/distortion to do. I think I wanna build one! Someone (Bhabi?) linked some pcbs earlier here right? Those looked pretty cool. Anyone have that link?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

hy + ty. Looks like really solid build docs (like all my modding questions (so far) were answered).

Snowy posted:

A pedal building thread would be loving awesome hint hint. I have an overdrive kit that’s overdue to be built and I’d like to eventually get into making noise machines and simple synth boxes.

I'd be down for something like that. I'll make an OP when I have time but that'll be in a month or so probably so anyone feel free to scoop me.

MrSargent posted:

Just checked the clone out and wow, its only $25? I might get one just for fun to throw on my synth if it has a cool sound to it.

Well its an HM2 so if you didn't spend your teens listening to swedish dbeat I can't promise its gonna hit the same nostalgic notes.

If you're in the mood to throw $25-30 at a bunch of effects though this is a really handy chart:
http://thetoneking.com/wp/behringer-stomp-box-cross-comparison-chart/

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

People really like the Boss (Space) Dimension C/D family for that though different people tend to prefer different ones. The four button one that's long out of print w/ the behringer clone that's also like $100 now I wanna say is the closest (thats the Dimension C I think?). If racks are chill I adore the TAL one ITB and have hit similar notes with the chorus/flanger algos on the SDE-330, which does some of the modulation stuff the SDX does at a much better price.

There's also this

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tc-electronic-brings-back-the-juno-chorus-with-the-june-60-pedal

but I'm skeptical as it's mono

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

You're wasting the Strymon one if that's all you're using it for, and its not particularly clean, but theres also these

https://pedals.thedelimagazine.com/new-fx-guitar-double-trackers-tc-electronics-mimiq-and-keeley-30ms/

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

If I want a wah with adjustable parameters whats out there?

I wanna play it with synths (polys/modulars) and set and forget is not a selling point for me. I can deal with level matching etc.

Ideal would be a box with knobs I could stick on a table and run an expression pedal to - do those exist?

Would love to cheap out if possible too - I'm pretty sure I could be happy w/ a used 50 dollar cry baby, just wondering if I could spend a little more and be happier.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Echoshifter is a real pain in the rear end to get it to go weird. The slider is fun (and I love the LFO option) but it doesn't freak out like you want it to.

The Behringer VD400 is the same basic circuit (maybe shorter times? but same chips) but its like 25 dollars and I would absolutely make sure that doesn't do it for you before you spend more.

Consider PT delays as well unless the analog is a must, they're gonna get you where you're looking to go pretty straightforwardly and the self oscillation is real fun for synths. Not the most classic sound though.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I asked upthread about a very adjustable wah but I remembered I had a Minifooger Drive and an expression pedal so I was actually set already.

It ruled! (Channeling my inner Ned Lagin here - cannot recommend a wah for modular enough, leaves your hands free to patch!) I just checked Reverb to see about grabbing another one for that double footed stereo action but apparently they're 3-400 dollars now? What the gently caress? The delay I sort of understood cause people get weird about delays and the big ones 1000 dollars but a drive with an adjustable response filter on it? God drat...

I'm just gonna DIY a module or something.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Can I use the one spot chain thing w/ a 12v adapter to chain 12v things? Don't see why not, thinking about it, just posting in case anyone's blown anything up doing the same. One thing would be kind of a pain in the rear end to replace. Obvi gonna check polarity and stuff first.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A PT delay circuit thats basically a 1 unit modular synth in a weird format (really gonna make sure this is wired like I think it is... but I think it's pretty simple) and 2 midi-cv outboards that take 9-12v but not 18 apparently?

And lol I was thinking about throwing the Boss flanger I have on there too - if it is specced at 9 but runs at 12 would it also do 18? This is an aspect of pedals I don't totally understand. I had thought it was just down to what voltage regulators the DC was going in to but then why would it be better to run a higher voltage? Like wouldn't that just burn the regulators faster? So I figure I'm missing something. What's going on there?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hah by a weird coincidence those are like the only pedal schematics I've ever really dove into and I just figured everything else was the same. Lots of regulators in synth diy especially the digital side (duh) and I just assumed it was more common throughout.

Whats happening in overdrive pedals? Is it just like giving op amps more power?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Same, it's a weirdly empty niche (as that pedal talks about).

It's a very simple circuit to wire up, if you're interested - just level shifting (and then most things have EQ and feedback), should be very easy to find diagrams.

I was gonna do that but then sprung for a Eurorack module that does all that for me, and haven't thought about it much since. This might be completely unhelpful though.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

that behringer fuzz everyone likes rules

DS-1 makes a nice clean(ish) boost and I like the tone control better than a ts9 or a klone.

I have a feeling everyone knows this stuff already

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

massive spider posted:

They have a few dodgy practices though, like I'm pretty sure they've ripped DSP, not just circuits in the past.

this seems like the same thing to me? just one's code and the other's layout. personally I'm not getting paid to do IP work in either domain so I can't figure out why I should care, especially when there's a financial incentive not to

(the pedal mock up and the lawsuit flurry around the same time are much weirder and I don't want to come off like I'm defending either thing here)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

UncleBlazer posted:

Circuits can’t be copyrighted (imagine if someone copyrighted the light bulb) so analog circuitry is fair game to recreate and modify. For pedals/synths there’s a bit of an honour system and you wouldn’t take someone’s boutique pedal still in production, clone it and flood the market with masses you had fabricated in china for a razor thin margin. So there’s technically legal but very much rear end in a top hat behaviour.

Software is 100% licensed and copyright protected. So lifting someone’s code is just straight up breaking the law.

No argument wrt the legality here, just why is this something I should care about if the rights holders can't be bothered to sue?

Same with the honor system, if I'm not able to make money off designs that are protected by it?

I think these are totally relevant concerns for producers w/ a financial stake in releasing a design (and this is not even getting in to the leakiness of fab shops 2022 versus the economics of keeping it in-house for anything you expect to get real adoption)... but I'm an end user, this stuff doesn't really have anything to do with me.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

To me it feels like a decision with basically 0 ethical weight either way, but I'm hoping to get more perspective on this from those who don't see things that way

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Appreciate the response, I hear ya on strong feelings, but I do think these things are worth interrogating (both the ethical issues and our emotional reactions to them). Just to clarify (maybe to split hairs), I'm not talking about cloning something myself. I'm talking about using a clone of something that's already been cloned by someone else.

At which point, it feels like to me (pardon this extremely strained example), the ethical horse has been let out of the barn long ago, but the discussion is still about whether we should close the door... or rather whether the person on the side of the road who was walking to the farm to see the horse and got a great view as it ran by them should have been there a couple hours ago to make sure the barn was actually locked up. I think it's fairly uncontroversial to everyone other than horse-watcher from down the road that things would be better if the barn door had remained closed but I don't see why we're expecting them to be the one responsible for it.

But on self-reflection maybe this is a reaction to being a subject of an economic system that doesn't particularly care about me, but still asks me to care about it... which I have a much harder time saying isn't ethically informed. My opinion (uh oh, maybe this is ethical) is also kind of informed by watching boycotts locally succeed when they were in support of/organized by a striking union, and fail when they were ad hoc things individuals volunteered for. Outside of an organized campaign with goals, it feels like an empty gesture, and nothing wrong with that, but nothing right with it either (it's... empty).

syntaxfunction posted:

I mean it's entirely 100% based on ethics tho. The reason circuits aren't protectable is because precedent was established beforehand. Hard to pass law to go "hey this is all illegal now" when it's been happening for ages. Whereas code was protected beforehand. That's the legal poo poo.

No legal debate here (and I'm familiar w/ the history of legal interpretations that led to this)... but does this feel ethical to you? It doesn't to me. My point here is just if we use the law as an ethical guide we're already starting on the wrong foot.

Anyway thanks for laying that out, Ethics IS hard. But I don't think that means we get to skip thinking about it, discussing it, interrogating our own values etc, even if we aren't ever gonna solve it (in fact I think the opposite, but maybe this is an ethical attitude itself (^: ). Also my next release is gonna have some kinda joke title / cover art about ethically sourced fair trade dsp

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

you end up in a libertarian hellscape.

I live in America, so, water under the bridge :v:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Moog EP-3 was/is fantastic @ $20 several years ago and probably still killer @ $50

e: I'm large bodied and footed and its always felt rock solid to me

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Also consider an El Capistan if tweaking everything isn't a must, lots of people (me included) find it close enough and they're getting cheaper now that there's competition. And AI Synthesis makes a ~$70 euro breakout for a tape recorder that lets you monitor while you record, that turns it into a delay

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Major Operation posted:

Is the Waza Craft MT-2 not made with surface mount components? My impression was that all of the Waza Craft versions were surface mount, which would make modding them incredibly difficult, if not outright impossible.

surface mount is fine. through hole replacement kits aren't gonna work obviously but its still the same circuit. w/ this I'd be tempted to just do the mod on a daughter board as there's a lot more space in there and wiring would be easy

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I always head compressor first? is that not a thing?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

H13 posted:

However, if you're a big user of drive pedals, I found that a compressor before drive usually strangled the drive pedal and killed a lot of the personality from the drive pedal. I like how a drive pedal tweaks the transient of a guitar signal, so I like the compresser after my drive pedals so that I keep that personality.

Ohhhhh this explains a lot actually, loved the comp first clean but as soon as I turned my od on things went all fucky.

I love the sound of drive-compression (my favorite post drive pedal is usually another tubescreamer), so I never actually tried the comp after drive

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BDA posted:

When I was having an Andy Summers phase I really liked running a chorus into a mild overdrive. Gets that gritty New Wave sound.

I do stuff like this all the time patching modular but never w/ a guitar... I need to get weirder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

H13 posted:

I think a noise gate circuit is KINDA similar to a compressor, it just kills the signal after a certain threshold rather than...y'know. Compressing it.

Yeah, same poo poo mostly. The missing link is expanders, which basically work like compressorss but either raise over the threshold or lower under it.

Armacham posted:

Depending on the circuit this is basically true. I've built noise gate pedals and compressor pedals that both use a CA3080 OTA chip, and the schematics are very similar.

You can do a LOT with an ota. My last ones went into a pair of Small Stone clones