Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I love the Effectology videos, I want to buy everything to do the Crystal Shimmer one so bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Gorilla Salsa posted:

[/EHXboner]

EHX I LOVE YOU!!!!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
All I have right now is a Deluxe Electric Mistress, and a Big Muff Pi with Tone/Wicker. Hoping to get more after the semester ends.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Also record it so we can hear you experiment

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I've got a Deluxe Electric Mistress, and a friend who's an electrical engineering major. So, of course, I decided to see if he could mod my pedal for true bypass and to fix the volume drop. I found directions to make the Electric Mistress and my new Russian Muff true bypass, but the volume drop fix is hard to find. I found a few directions for fixing it on the original EM, but I don't know if those will work with the Deluxe version. We don't actually go to the same school so I was planning on talking to him about it over spring break so I don't know if he could look at it and know whether it would work. I found some wiring diagrams for him too. So does anyone have any advice or help to give me about this volume drop fix?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

pimpology 101 posted:

Can someone recommend me a good fuzz pedal?
I use a guitar with humbuckers, and I hear that matters a lot, but I think I might switch to single coils soon.
I like the sounds that guitarists get with the Big Muff Pi but anytime I played around with one, it just seemed too muddy. I love the sound that Jack White gets with his, but I never even came close to getting that kind of biting, harsh sound.
I plan on getting a Rat also, for general overdrive/distortion purposes, but I wanna use a fuzz for over the top distortion, as well as combining it with a Rat for Sonic Youth-type noise freakout sounds.

I've got the same issue with my Big Muff, it's hard to make it not sound muddy as hell. I don't know how J Mascis can get his to sing like that. What are the odds that its partially because I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with stock pickups?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I play through a Fender Blues Jr amp. A lot of muddiness is also probably due to the fact that I can't crank the volume much on either the pedal or the amp.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I think I just broke my Big Muff Pi with Tone/Wicker. I dropped it yesterday and something came loose and then when I opened up the back to see what I think I made it worse and now the switch doesn't work. I might have just put the spring back in wrong. Any advice as to what I should do? I'm not in love with the pedal and I've been beginning to think I like my Russian Muff more, but it was like $90 bucks and I don't want to throw that away, nor do I want to piss much more money at it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Are the EHX Memory Boy or Memory Toy delay pedals worth it? I'm looking at getting a delay pedal and I love EHX pedals, but I know that the Memory Man series is way too much stuff for me that I wouldn't even know what to do with. Also I don't have that much money.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chalupa Joe posted:

Is the EH Deluxe Electric Mistress supposed to be so quiet?
I've just acquired one (reissue, not vintage) and there's a significant volume drop when it's engaged. It also doesn't sound as awesome as my MXR Flanger.

The volume drop is a known issue. There's ways to mod it to get rid of the volume drop but I haven't tried any. I know there's a dude you can send yours to to get the volume drop mod and a couple other mods done, but I forget his name.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Hey guys, my roommate is a bass player and a huge Geddy Lee fan and is thinking of getting some effects pedals. He wants his first one to be either flanger or a fuzz pedal, any recommendations on brands/models?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Hey goons, if you needed a pedal repaired or modified, where would you go? I can't find anyone local to me on the east end of Long Island, and while I'm sure there's a bunch of places in NYC, the trip in and out of the city would cost me as much or more as it would to mail them somewhere.

I've got a couple older Electro-Harmonix pedals that I'd like to get some work done on. I have a Russian Small Stone Phaser that sometimes needs to be turned on and off a few times before the effect comes on fully, a Russian Big Muff that sounds kind of fizzy when the tone knob is past 12 o'clock, and a Deluxe Electric Mistress that has a huge volume drop problem.

I've also got a newer Big Muff with Tone/Wicker control that's just plain broke and I have no idea why.

Any recommendations or any goons that want to take a whack at any of my gear?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'd see what EHX in NYC can do for you. If that doesn't work out for you, how far east are you on LI? I'm around Selden and I could take a whack at it if that's not too far. I just recently fixed my Black Russian Muff.

I'm actually really close to you, I live in Medford. I'm willing to have you take a look at my Russian Muff while I try to get EHX to help with the rest. Since it doesn't seem like you have PMs, email me at epi.lepi.sa@gmail.com and we'll talk about it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I've had weird luck with my pedals lately.

I sent the two broken pedals I talked about last page, the Russian Small Stone Phaser and the Big Muff Pi with Tone/Wicker, in to EHX for repairs and was semi successful.

The Muff works now, which is great, especially since yesterday something popped in my Russian Muff and smoke started coming out of it so I don't think that's gonna work anytime soon. :sigh: If that goon who offered to fix it is in the thread still, please hit me up.

The Phaser has the same issue it did before, where it takes a while for the effect to kick in. I think they might have turned up the effect level though, if that's possible and I'm not crazy about it. I feel like it was way more transparent before, I might just give up on it now and get a new phaser. Any suggestions on alternative phasers that are fairly transparent? I'm thinking like that light phasing in the verse parts of Hum's "Stars" or like Robert Smith of the Cure phasing.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Anyone tried a Retro Sonic Phaser? It's supposed to be an MXR clone but with added knobs and sounds like what I might be looking for.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Sorry to double post, but cross posting from the Small Questions thread:

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't know how I didn't notice this but I've been running my pedal chain off of a 1 Spot adapter for a year and I just realized that my Deluxe Electric Mistress is supposed to require more than a 9volt power supply. I think it's supposed to be a 24volt power supply but my pedal works as is with the 1 Spot? I always thought it was kind of a noisy pedal, could this be why? Kind of weird question but why is it working and should I do anything about this power situation?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Hey, I think I mentioned this a while ago, but a month or so ago I accidently hooked up my EHX Russian Muff to a 24V powersupply instead of a 9v and it understandably popped and smoke came out and that poo poo is dead. What are the odds this is fixable, or even worth fixing?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Agreed posted:

Fixable, probably. I'd reckon the PCB's just fine, copper traces and copper wire of the sort found in pedals don't really care about the "minor" difference between 9V and 24V. Worth fixing, questionable, because there's no telling what all parts in there croaked. Using a common power source an op-amp that's rated for +/-18V can operate at up to +34V safely (want a few for margin of error...). Transistors state their operating range and can be more or less forgiving depending on what kind they are, but exceeding the recommended voltage for the pedal is never a good idea.

Caps, resistors, diodes will let out the magic smoke and not work anymore if you exceed their values. There's some variable tolerance but it's not much, and to them, the difference between inputting 9V and 12V could matter, the difference between inputting 9V and 18V is huge, and inputting 24V will overcome them totally. Gotta remember, resistors that are specced for a max of 9V or 12V but in the context of the circuit usually have, say, no more than +4.5V running through them at a given filter network or whatever are going to give up the ghost completely when you exceed their nominal safe values.

Are you particularly attached to it? Parts cost to repair it wouldn't be high, there are plenty of schematics around for muff variants, but if you're not doing it yourself labor cost could be higher than getting a new one depending on how much the tech values his or her time.

I'm not particularly attached to it and I won't be doing the repair myself. I've got a Fulltone OCD and one of the newer Muffs for dirt so it's not like I need this one.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

This site will probably help you identify which era of muff that one is.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

JRizzle posted:

I have a couple of questions.

I'm trying to get a dream pop sound, like Cocteau Twins, etc., so I was wondering what effects I would want to get to do that. I know a reverb is important for that, so what is a good, cheaper reverb to buy?

My other question deals with the effects I have now. What is the best order to put a Whammy pedal, a Wah and a Big Muff Pi to make sure my guitar doesn't sound like poo poo? I play a MIM telecaster, if that matters at all.

Edit: By Cocteau Twins, I mean their earlier stuff like Garlands/Head Over Heels.

You're definitely going to want a chorus pedal for a Cocteau Twins type sound. I have a Boss CE-Chorus that I really like, and I think Robin Guthrie used Boss pedals as well. I know Robert Smith of the Cure was a big fan of Boss pedals and is another big Chorus user.

I can't give you any advice about a reverb but also think about looking into phasers and flangers. I can't remember how much they were used early in their career but the Cocteau Twins definitely used them more and more over the years, and they're super fun effects.

I'm a huge dream pop fan so if you ever get around to writing and recording make sure you post your tracks somewhere on the forum.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Panterica posted:

Any recommendations for a chorus, flanger, and tuner? I was considering getting a multi-effects, but those three in addition to a wah I already own are the only effects I need. I've got 4 ESP's with EMG's going into a Mesa Mark V.

I've got a Boss CE-5 Chorus pedal that I really dig. I wanted a chorus for that Robert Smith of the Cure sound and he uses a ton of Boss pedals. I think I A/B'd it against a Boss CH chorus and ended up preferring the CE.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Noise Machine posted:

A high-pass filter is a filter that will knock out any frequencies past a certain frequency. Usually for "rock guitar" you would apply the cutoff from 80 to 100 hz but it's just a rule of thumb. For that Robert Smith sound he bumps it up towards the 140-200 hz range, so a lot of the low-end doesn't exist anymore. It really helps to get the guitars to "float" a little better over everything.

I've never heard that he does this before, and I find it odd that he would since he uses a Bass VI on a good number of songs, so why would he cut out the low end?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I've got some issues with a few of my pedals. Prior to a few weeks ago all of my pedals had not been touched in years and I've finally broken them all out again. I had almost all of them on a pedalboard hooked into a 1Spot and I don't remember having issues with two particular pedals back then that I am having now. The problem pedals are an EHX #1 Echo and an EHX Big Muff Pi w/Tone Wicker. When I was first testing out things I had them all on the board and daisy chained and that's when the Echo failed. It worked for a few minutes and then just no sound would pass through when the pedal was turned on. The Big Muff was fine that first day and it was fine again today when I was testing everything one at a time off the board and plugged in separately, just to get a feel for all of them again, but when I put it back onto the board and daisy chained it it stopped producing sound when on. I pulled it off the board and tested it with two separate 9v power supplies and no dice. They light up and sound passes through when they're not engaged but nothing happens when they are.

What should be my next step to identifying what the issues are and what to do to fix them?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Kingo Ligma posted:

The very first step is to isolate and remove any other culprits. So, one pedal, one power supply (direct, no daisy chain) two leads and one amp. Try one of the dodgy pedals. If it works, try the other. If both work, we know it's most likely cables or power (not being used in this test) which it almost always is.

If the dodgy pedals don't work, try another pedal. If the problem persists through several pedals, congrats, it's most likely cables or power (being used in this test) which it almost always is.

I guess I wasn't clear but this is what I was doing today and those were the only two pedals of mine that had an issue. The #! Echo did not work at all. The Big Muff worked at first then didn't once I put it back in the daisy chain and then it continued to not work when I pulled it off the board and tried an independent power supply with just cables to amp and guitar.

Kingo Ligma posted:

If we've made it this far and are pretty confident the pedals are faulty, start with the offboard wiring. Open them up and have a look at the jacks and the footswitch. Anything obviously dodgy? Ehx footswitches are notoriously lovely so worth a look.

Next you can check for popped capacitors on the circuit board, it will be super obvious if it's happened.

Still no luck, it's time to bust out a multimeter and an audio probe.

I guess this is my next step, when I get the chance I guess I'll pop it open and then take pictures because I'm not sure if I'll be able to understand what I'm looking at.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Big Muff

#1 Echo

To my eye nothing looks wrong but I am very unfamiliar with this stuff.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

free Trapt CD posted:

To be clear, you tried the Big Muff on the battery without connecting a power supply and it worked? Does the #1 Echo have a battery jack, and can you try that as well?

No, I tried it solo directly on a power supply and it worked earlier today but after I put my pedalboard back together and daisy chained it it stopped working. I pulled it off the board and tried it by itself on a power supply and it continued to not work. The light goes on so there is some power, but not enough to emit sound. I did buy new 9V batteries when I was running errands today so I guess replacing the batter will be my next step with this pedal. I don't know why it's not getting enough power from the power supply though if that is the issue.

The #1 Echo does not have a battery.

The power supply I was using all day is the main part of the 1Spot that plugs into the daisy chain. It was fine for my other pedals, Crybaby Wah, RetroSonic Phaser, MXR Carbon Copy, EHX Stereo Pulsar, Boss CH-1 and Fulltone OCD. They all also work fine when daisy chained and then connected to the main supply. At one point the two problem pedals did work fine in this configuration when I first assembled this pedalboard but that was 5+ years ago, everything has been in an attic for a while and it's only recently that I've dug all my gear out.

I do have a second 9V power supply, a Danelctro branded one that I have no idea where it came from. I tried the Big Muff on it and had no improvement, but I did not try the #1 Echo on it.

Kingo Ligma posted:

The ribbon cable soldering on the big muff footswitch looks pretty dodgy, otherwise yeah audio probe time

Is that something easy to buy and use? What is my next step if I am able to use one, I don't really see myself like soldering things together.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ah ok yeah, if you're not up for soldering it's probably time to find a friendly local nerd who will be able to test and fix it for you. There's not really a lot you can fix in a pedal without a soldering iron.

Anyone on Long Island want to make a friend?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Sorry to double post but I'm utterly perplexed right now. I changed the battery on the Big Muff and it works now, that's not the confusing part (thought I don't understand why it needs a batter and to be plugged in, I thought it was always one or the other with pedals). The confusing thing is the #1 Echo also is working tonight. I did literally nothing to it but open it up and close it back up. I don't know what I did wrong on Sunday or what I did right tonight. Hopefully next time I sit down it continues to work. I even looked in to sending them in to EHX to get serviced (it sounds like they would do it for $25/pedal) and I ordered an EHX branded power supply in case that was the issue but nope, today the 1Spot supply worked both solo and on the board, daisy chained.

As penance for wasting everyone's time, here's a pic of my board:

Not pictured is the black Russian Big Muff and the black Russian Small Stone that I have.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Kingo Ligma posted:

Hell yeah big box electric mistress

It sounds sick, it's just a little annoying how large it is and that it takes a different voltage than the other pedals.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There’s nothing like a full voltage electric mistress in its absurd enclosure.

I think it might be too noisey for me to be honest. I was trying to run it and the OCD at the same time and the noise was overpowering. I was hoping to muddle my way into a similar tone to this track: https://godisinthetvzine.bandcamp.com/track/disintegration and I hit an immediate roadblock with the noise.

The Cure is 100% my favorite band and after learning Robert Smith tours with just a suite of Boss pedals I keep having crazy ideas of selling all my pedals and replacing them all with Boss ones, cause if it's good enough for Robert...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Otis Reddit posted:

Put all of your EHX on a different power supply and see if it quiets down. Their polarity is opposite of most other pedal makers. He's right, the Boss stuff is truly bulletproof. I've had some of them for 20 years and I've also had EHX crap out after less than three years. Electro-harmonix will however repair their stuff for cheap, and they are close by in Brooklyn iirc.

Yeah I'm sending the Big Muff & #1 Echo in to get repaired as soon as I get my rear end in gear to pack it up. $25/per pedal plus whatever it will cost me to ship to them which shouldn't be much since I'm on Long Island. The $25 covers return shipping. They say they don't fix vintage pedals but I'm not sure if that means all out of production models.

The Electric Mistress does have it's own plug because it's 24V(another reason I'm thinking about getting rid of it). Can the surge protector/power strip it's plugged into impact it's noise level?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I finally got my poo poo together and mailed those two pedals off to EHX to get serviced, will let folks know how it all shakes out when I get them back.

In other news I bought a Bass VI! I want to make Cure-esque music with it, so I know I want Flanger, Chorus, and something for dirt.

I know there are specific Bass versions of some of those effects but how much does that matter? Like there are Bass Chorus pedals, should I make sure to buy one of those and what's the advantage over grabbing a CE-2 or something?

For Flanger I have my DEM and I've been thinking of buying a Boss Flanger anyway so I can go either way for that.

For dirt I have a Black Russian Big Muff that I thought I had blown out but it turns out it just needed a new battery. If I want less fuzz and more drive, what's a pedal people like that would fit this setup?

Love having an excuse to make a "mini" board and both buy new things as well as put to use things I already have that didn't fit on my main board.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ProperCauldron posted:

if anybody is looking to cringe so hard their spine snaps in half, EHX head/founder/social media manager(?) uploaded an anti-union piano ballad and music video to their official EHX youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd1Km_GVGmk

i really wanted to like EHX pedals because I'm from nyc too but their stuff always had a shrill/icepicky quality to them. i even bought one of their t-shirts and it fits like poop rear end and the logo is too low on the fabric too

In the "our story" section of the ehx site there's as whole subsection on how the founder "stood up to UNION THUGS" in the 80s. Really made me feel a way about all of the EHX pedals I already own. Not gonna get rid of mine but I don't think I'll be buying any more in the future.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I tell you what else is fun, having a Fulltone OCD bought in 2011ish, checking out of the gear hunt for a decade and coming back in 2023 to find out Mike Fuller is a racist piece of poo poo.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

The Leck posted:

OCD does sound fantastic though. I got mine out again recently and I had forgotten how good it was. Also, it will piss everyone off - it’s Fulltone, it’s got comic sans all over it, it’s version 2.0, not 1.4 or 1.7. I bought mine used, so I think I’m in the clear.

Mines a 1.4 but I have no recollection of whether I bought it used or new. I've heard it really shines when you give it 18v which I plan to try once I finally buy a real power supply instead of my 1spot daisy chain.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJGos1D1ha8

So I preordered this tonight. I've never really looked into Klons before, but this kit looks fun and relatively cheap so I couldn't pass it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_DJ3VxcWg

What do we think the signal chain is for the guitars on this track? I'm real bad at listening and interpreting what effects are being used. Is it simply fuzz into a flanger into the amp? Is the dirt all fuzz or is it probably amp distortion too? I know a lot of the heaviness is the bass which also sounds fuzzed out. I feel like I can make this song rip on my Bass VI.