Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I recently got a Jupiter Fuzz, made by Walrus Audio, and I'm in heaven.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of demos or reviews of it, and the ones that are up are cool but definitely don't show how versatile it is. It's very thick if you turn the fuzz up, it kind of has that classic sticky sound, but is still very responsive and natural. It's the first time I've found a tone knob on a pedal to be actually fun, it affects the sound in usable ways rather than just having a sweet spot. I haven't tried Walrus Audio's other pedals out, but they seem really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Looks like you got all the ingredients for a really great setup. If you are looking to record multiple instruments/layers at once, my advice would be to get an interface with a few more inputs than the UA Twin, even if it means not getting UA (although they are totally awesome). You could do it with the Twin and just get stereo of what you got coming in, but it will limit your editing/mixing options.

As for the pedals, my only advice given your stated purpose is to not make your chain too permanent. I've made the mistake of having a set up that was a little too rigid and getting slowed down when I wanted to experiment. Those pedals will sound/work very differently based on the chain, maybe it would be worth investing in a patch bay of some sort?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

Do any other companies make a verson of the MOSFET boost? I'd like to try a SHO but I don't like the form factor of Zvex pedals.

As Dang It Bhabhi! said, EQD, but it's a pretty simple circuit that is easy to replicate. I was introduced through the Palmetto Overdrive made by Blackeye Effects, but when it broke, I got a handmade clone for cheap off reverb and it sounds just as good. SHOs have become a go-to for me and seem to just always sound good, not matter the set-up.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I've been borrowing my friend's Roland RE-501 and it's giving me serious GAS. Anyone have any experience with a Strymon Volante? It's a chunk of change, but if it sounds close to a real tape echo, seems worth getting once I have to give this back.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Well I found out the music store down the road from my place is a Strymon dealer, tried it out and got it. I also tried El Cap and Decco, which I liked both of, but Volante is really versatile and able to either replicate (or get very close to) the sounds either of those make. It's cleaner sounding than a real machine but still has vibes.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

If you have a bit of money to throw around on a pedal, I highly recommend the Strymon Volante. Not just a very close emulation, it sounds very musical and natural, and is very versatile.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I have a DOD fx50b that I love, but is starting to crap out. It wouldn't be expensive to replace, but I wouldn't mind getting something a little more high end but with a similar sound/response. People compare it to a Boss SD1 but to me the DOD has a more open sound, and is more reactive to where you set the drive knob. Not looking for a clone exactly, but something that has a similar character. Anyone have any recommendations?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Pretty much anything based on a dod 250 will get you there. There's literally hundreds of options including the reissue dod 250.

Do you have any favorites or recommendations Outside of the reissue?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Armacham posted:

So I looked up the schematic for this pedal and it is almost exactly like an SD1 or a tube screamer, except the tone stack is after the level control. This makes it act more like a full range boost at low levels, and a top boost at high levels. Interesting design, and probably why it sounds the way it does. I honestly can't find anything similar, other than maybe another tube screamer. My default advice there is the EQD Plumes, that's the best sounding one I've played and it has some different clipping modes, which is always nice.

What exactly is wrong with the DOD pedal? Is it something that you would be interested in getting rehoused or repaired? That's always an option too and something I've done a couple times with other pedals.

Thanks for explaining what it's actually doing! I like it a lot, and finding them isn't hard but I don't want to keep buying old ones. The switch on mine isn't reliable, and just the other day it started cutting in and out (checked patch cables, etc). It may be fixable, not sure if it's worth rehousing, I'd like to find something similar but a step up in construction and sound. Even though I already like it, I imagine there are pedals that take it further.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Oh man thanks everyone for the info. I've never played a DOD 250, but watching videos it seems close but not the same, and I wasn't sure why, so it makes sense that it has something different going on.

Checking out pedals, the EQD gray channel seems super versatile and definitely close, and probably better over all. I have to do some more research and see if I can find a way to try some more things out.

Not related directly to the fx50 or 250 but I stumbled upon the EAE Longsword, which also looks intriguing and in the ballpark.

The fx50 definitely has something unique about it though and I'm wondering if it's worth rehousing/modding.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The FX50b is a Tube Screamer (soft clipping+gain+mid-boost and an active tone control) with 250/Distortion+/Rat-style hard clipping between the soft clipping/gain and the active tone control.

And I love it so much. Is there another pedal that works quite the same way? Or is there a combination of pedals that would theoretically get somewhere close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I've done some DIY stuff but never really thought about doing pedals, maybe this is calling out to me to be my first project. I don't really have time for it now, but maybe I will grab one or two so I can tackle down the road.