Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Turning on my weird Russian fuzz factory clone is occasionally turning on my BD-2. Why would this possibly happen except to spite me and be loud as gently caress. It’s down chain from the BD-2 on signal and power daisy chain.

The fuzz factory might be shunting signal to ground when you hit the switch, so when it's released the relay bypass in the blues driver thinks a jack has been freshly shoved into its input hole. If you have a multi meter, plug a lead into the fuzz factory output, set the multi meter to continuity and place it on the the tip and sleeve of the other end of the lead. Press the switch (try and hold it down for a sec) and see if you get a beep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

This is the best I could do.

https://imgur.com/a/JcHl8fs

Seeing the other side of the PCB means taking off the pots and jacks and stuff which I don't feel comfortable doing.

That definitely has two electrolytic capacitors which narrows it down to some kind of electronic circuit (probably).

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I am not sure what thread this question belongs in, but can somebody break down what sonic characteristics of an analogue (or analogue-modeling) compressor make it so desireable? I understand the difference between digital and analogue when it comes to a lot of effects, but I am not sure what I am supposed to be listening for when it comes to compressors, beyond some vague notions of "warmth" or whatever.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

some vague notions of "warmth" or whatever.

It is this both ironically and genuinely. A good compression circuit is going to add a load of harmonic content and general signal distortion (in the sense of altering the sound source rather than chugga chugga distortion), just like a good preamp would.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The DOD meatbox is exactly what you're after, discontinued do you'll have to find one used though.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

lmbo calrissian posted:

bruhs, can you recommend me a multi output 9v power supply? does it matter much? i'm seeing a lot of variations in price and i don't wanna buy a crappy or an overpriced one. anything with at least 8 outputs.

https://reverb.com/item/17096890-ca...m_source=google

like, does this random example look ok?

The thing with these ones (Joyo, Caline etc), is that even though they say they're isolated, they aren't. The 9V adaptor powering it instead of an iec providing ac mains is a dead giveaway. For all intents and purposes this is just a one spot with a daisy chain shoved in a box with all the buzz, hum, and interference that entails. If you're all analog you'll be ok, but any digital pedals (even something like a boss digital delay) and you're hosed.

Trruetone cs7 or cs12 are probably your best bet for price vs quality.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Interesting... any idea how the MXR iso brick stacks up RE isolation? It has an 18v power adaptor.

MXR claim it's truly isolated using a "different and unique" technique, and being 18V rather than 9 suggests something's going on. I'm dubious but haven't had direct experience so that's entirely gut based.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Kush Limbaugh posted:

Does my pedal order make any sense? Also, I'm getting a reverb pedal (or two) soon, where should I put it/them?
Helpful diagram included.

The answer to question A is "do you like the sounds you are making?" There is no objective correct pedal order, just different sound options. If you aren't getting the sounds you want, say what's lacking and suggestions will come pouring in.

The answer to question B is "what kind of music are you wanting to make". I'd put one pre drive, and one at the very end, but I'm specifically working on a project where that makes sense right now.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Kush Limbaugh posted:

A: I think so, yeah. Using the compressor and/or the SF300 to boost into the OCD gets me some really nice-sounding distortion, the GE-7 makes it super easy to tweak, the chorus, delay and tremolo all do their jobs well.
B: I'm gonna be recording an album that takes equally from shoegaze and post-punk, where I want huge distorted washes of rhythm guitar and aggressive, jangly lead, like My Bloody Valentine meets Gang of Four kinda? So I was thinking of putting a Digiverb at the end, and like a JHS 3 series reverb or something right before the Super Fuzz. Thoughts?

Hahaha that's not far off where my current thing is, try the reverbs the other way around and see what you think, I like having weirder verb options pre drive and more straight up at the end.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Declan MacManus posted:

it's a tube screamer, everyone loves a tube screamer

Get this though: it's not your (blues) dad's tubescreamer! It's made by cool people with piercings and fringes and poo poo.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Rack mount aural exciters are cheap as and fun.

That weird situation where you don't think it's doing anything till you turn it off and wonder how you sounded so awful so long.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Like a fool I just bought a 300 dollar pedal.

You're only a fool if it's a boutique tubescreamer or fuzzface.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Dr Robert lol

I do like the sound of lovely transistor amps

Putting the tone controls on internal trimmers is a hate crime.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Are the amp and the effects plugged into the same wall outlet?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

If you're new to it and just starting exploring just get a carbon copy or a dd3. There's literally 10,000 delay pedals currently on the market and everyone will just tell you whatever they have on their board (mine has an EHX canyon, Boss RE20 and DM2, sometimes an SIB Mr Echo or xvive Memory).

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Red_Fred posted:

I'm in the market for a pedal board but know next to nothing about them.

Things to consider:
  • I will be getting a Helix LT as soon as they next go on sale so don't need a big board, I currently have 4 standard-sized pedals and probably won't ever have more than 8 (fighting that GAS!)
  • I won't be gigging with this board so don't need a fancy case or need to be particularly moveable. A cover-type thing would be good though as I don't want my pedals to be covered in tone-enhancing dog hair if possible.
  • I already have a Cioks Big John PSU so that would need to fit/be compatible.
  • Given the impending Helix purchase I would rather not spend heaps unless it's justified.
  • Smaller footprint is preferred if/where possible.

Please school me on pedal boards! :eng101:

Pedal train has a really good board builder on their site. You pick one of their boards to start with, then enter all your pedals and it gives you images of them you can drag around the board. Even if you don't want to spend pedal train money, you can then take the measurements of whichever one of their boards work the best and have a look at competitor options. Most boards come with a gig bag.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Just picked up a Behringer Model D synth (their clone of the Minimoog). Want to dial in some authentic '70's vibes, especially for a Pink Floyd tribute I'm in. Need a delay (and more) for it, and really want one that would make it easy to dial in exact delay tempos for songs like "Any Color You Like" where the delay has to be exactly on the beat. Is there such a thing as an analog delay that lets you dial in an exact BPM, either by MIDI or with a dial? Would I just be best served getting something like a Memory Man and getting good with the tap tempo?

Any other recommendations for delays or multi-effects units for a few hundred bucks or less that pair well with this kind of synth?

There are heaps of different units that plug into the tap tempo input of a delay pedal and let you dial in exact bpms. I use the Selah Quartz for recording with a few different tap input pedals and it works a treat.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

You don't have to be right until you press record. The SPX90 is a good example. One preset on it that didn't really exist before is the sound of shoegaze, another preset that didn't really exist before is the sound of almost all rock bass post 1990ish.

No one read the manual and went "Ah, symphonic, that will be the sound of rock bass". People flick through presets and something sounds good.

The history of popular music is someone loving around for ages and then a whole bunch of boring talentless dicks doing the same thing to appease the psychopathy if the people who corporatise art.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Yeah the big thing to avoid is daisy chaining anything digital with gain pedals (unless you're a particularly obnoxious noise artist)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

An ehx Canyon has heaps of fun modes, isn't insanely expensive and will keep you plenty busy.

A line 6 DL4 mk 2 does all the above, plus an insanely usable looper. It's a bit more expensive and bigger but it is cool as gently caress.

Neither have menus or LCD screens or any of that poo poo. Just knobs and buttons.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Gin_Rummy posted:

I’ve been experimenting with some stereo and wet/dry rig setups lately and it’s absolutely awesome for throwing a full wall of sound into my face. My current chain was always meant to be temporary while I figured out if I liked the tones I got from it, but now that I know I can’t go back, I’m wondering if I need to consider getting an ABY pedal?

This is what I’m currently doing, in

Gain -> Wah -> Flashback 2 stereo delay -> one stereo output going to amp 1, the other stereo output going to all my modulation effects, then amp 2

Based on that chain, is there anything I would truly gain from an ABY pedal, or can I pretty much just keep doing what I’m already doing?

My first thought is that as long as I’m pushing any delay to amp1, I don’t have a true wet/dry rig, but at the same time, I don’t think I’d want to remove the “bounce around”/ping pong element I’m getting from the delay.

The big thing with having a (decent quality) a b y is you'll have built in solutions for phase and ground issues. If your two particular amps aren't causing these than hooray, party on.

No one on the planet except the dickhead from Vertex pedals cares about "true" wet/dry, if you like the sound of it and it makes you want to play then the set up is Officially Correct.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Gin_Rummy posted:

I don't think I've run into phase or grounding issues, but how would I generally know?

You'd be able to hear either.

Grounding issues - loud buzz or hum
Phase issues - sound is thin / weak with missing frequencies, usually mids.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Get a plumes, they just sound good no matter what.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Epi Lepi posted:

I've got some issues with a few of my pedals. Prior to a few weeks ago all of my pedals had not been touched in years and I've finally broken them all out again. I had almost all of them on a pedalboard hooked into a 1Spot and I don't remember having issues with two particular pedals back then that I am having now. The problem pedals are an EHX #1 Echo and an EHX Big Muff Pi w/Tone Wicker. When I was first testing out things I had them all on the board and daisy chained and that's when the Echo failed. It worked for a few minutes and then just no sound would pass through when the pedal was turned on. The Big Muff was fine that first day and it was fine again today when I was testing everything one at a time off the board and plugged in separately, just to get a feel for all of them again, but when I put it back onto the board and daisy chained it it stopped producing sound when on. I pulled it off the board and tested it with two separate 9v power supplies and no dice. They light up and sound passes through when they're not engaged but nothing happens when they are.

What should be my next step to identifying what the issues are and what to do to fix them?

The very first step is to isolate and remove any other culprits. So, one pedal, one power supply (direct, no daisy chain) two leads and one amp. Try one of the dodgy pedals. If it works, try the other. If both work, we know it's most likely cables or power (not being used in this test) which it almost always is.

If the dodgy pedals don't work, try another pedal. If the problem persists through several pedals, congrats, it's most likely cables or power (being used in this test) which it almost always is.

If we've made it this far and are pretty confident the pedals are faulty, start with the offboard wiring. Open them up and have a look at the jacks and the footswitch. Anything obviously dodgy? Ehx footswitches are notoriously lovely so worth a look.

Next you can check for popped capacitors on the circuit board, it will be super obvious if it's happened.

Still no luck, it's time to bust out a multimeter and an audio probe.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The ribbon cable soldering on the big muff footswitch looks pretty dodgy, otherwise yeah audio probe time

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ah ok yeah, if you're not up for soldering it's probably time to find a friendly local nerd who will be able to test and fix it for you. There's not really a lot you can fix in a pedal without a soldering iron.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Hell yeah big box electric mistress

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Epi Lepi posted:

I finally got my poo poo together and mailed those two pedals off to EHX to get serviced, will let folks know how it all shakes out when I get them back.

In other news I bought a Bass VI! I want to make Cure-esque music with it, so I know I want Flanger, Chorus, and something for dirt.

I know there are specific Bass versions of some of those effects but how much does that matter? Like there are Bass Chorus pedals, should I make sure to buy one of those and what's the advantage over grabbing a CE-2 or something?

For Flanger I have my DEM and I've been thinking of buying a Boss Flanger anyway so I can go either way for that.

For dirt I have a Black Russian Big Muff that I thought I had blown out but it turns out it just needed a new battery. If I want less fuzz and more drive, what's a pedal people like that would fit this setup?

Love having an excuse to make a "mini" board and both buy new things as well as put to use things I already have that didn't fit on my main board.

I have a Squier bass VI and haven't found any need for bass specific pedals - the main difference is just an input cap value anyway with the occasional tweak to a tone circuit. The VI is only one octave below guitar so most pedals seem to capture it's full range. I really like a plain ol stock standard boss blues driver for gain on it, big muffs sound great for heavier, and a rat is pretty gnarly inbetween.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

ProperCauldron posted:

if anybody is looking to cringe so hard their spine snaps in half, EHX head/founder/social media manager(?) uploaded an anti-union piano ballad and music video to their official EHX youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd1Km_GVGmk

i really wanted to like EHX pedals because I'm from nyc too but their stuff always had a shrill/icepicky quality to them. i even bought one of their t-shirts and it fits like poop rear end and the logo is too low on the fabric too

Never ever let boomer bosses near company socials. This is basic poo poo.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I'd there's two things Mike Matthews hates it's treating workers with dignity and footswitches that last more than three months

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Thumposaurus posted:

Wampler is a weirdo too. Over in AI they have a thread about who's a right wing shithead in the automotive youtube ect... scene maybe we need a similar one here for music dicks.

I mean that's pretty easy for pedals - everyone except Earthquaker and Death by Audio

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

ricecult posted:

I have a DOD fx50b that I love, but is starting to crap out. It wouldn't be expensive to replace, but I wouldn't mind getting something a little more high end but with a similar sound/response. People compare it to a Boss SD1 but to me the DOD has a more open sound, and is more reactive to where you set the drive knob. Not looking for a clone exactly, but something that has a similar character. Anyone have any recommendations?

Pretty much anything based on a dod 250 will get you there. There's literally hundreds of options including the reissue dod 250.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

ricecult posted:

Do you have any favorites or recommendations Outside of the reissue?

If you can find a used Earthquaker Devices Gray channel they're a great super versatile version of the circuit. The Plumes mentioned above always sounds great and has a lot of room for tone moving as well.

As a completely different option: find a local extreme gear nerd (pedal builder/amp repairer/possibly a luthier but less likely) and chuck them some cash to rehouse your existing pedal. They can out it in a new box with a modern stomp switch etc, recap it if necessary, and you should get years and years more life out of it.

E: FB by someone who can even do the job lol

Kingo Ligma fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 25, 2023

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

muike posted:

if i don't want to run my dl-2 on my board because i don't want to mix 9v and 12v power, what's a nice tap tempo 9v pedal i can use? alternatively, what can i do to run them off one power supply?

edit: i guess i could get a real power supply

If you like the dl2 the obvious answer would be the dl3t. There's literally hundreds of options of tap tempo delay tho. Other options would be modding the DL2 to take 9v or often those old ACA boss pedals will work fine off 9v if you place a more modern regular 9v boss pedal in the signal chain directly before them.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

my philosophy is unless its pure function like a germanium fuzz face that really likes to see signal first, theres really no right or wrong order, just right or wrong to your own ears, which is part of the joy of the hobby. i need to get into synths bc i tweak pedal knobs more than play guitar

Yeah the amount of posts on pedal groups I see that are like "I have two pedals, what's the SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN BIBLICALLY CORRECT order I have to put them in? I don't want to get arrested" is loving insane. And always followed up with two hundred posts below that are a mix of the following:

"if you don't use the same order as me you're amp will blow up and you're virginity will grow back"

"No if you don't use the opposite order your amp will blow up and your rear end will fall out"

"I don't use pedals at all because tone is on the fingers" - link to video of morbidly obese dude whose guitar sounds like poo poo

And

"I haven't tried either of those pedals, don't know what genre you play, your budget, location, anything at all really, but I read on the internet that both those pedals SUCK!!!!! You aren't a pro if you don't use" - link to this week's insanely overpriced boutique tubescreamer.

Fuckin guitar nerds man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

As always it also depends on everything else between your hands and your ears. British voiced amps and anything set gainy have a harder time with delayed reverb than the other reverb. American voiced / high headroom seems less fussy. Single coils are less fussy than humbuckers etc.