Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
I have a TU2 that I love dearly. That being said, I've heard that the PlanetWaves stompbox tuner tracks extremely fast and accurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

im_sorry posted:

What's the general opinion on the Digitech Bad Monkey? I bought one, and it makes the lead channel settings of my Peavey Envoy 110 sound really awesome (at least, to my inexperienced self), but I was wondering how it compared to things like the Wasabi.

It's a really great pedal. It's basically a tubescreamer clone with more tonal options. Sounds a bit smoother too, comes in a very rugged casing and is drat cheap.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Hey Agreed (and others) I'm GASing for another metal pedal given I seem to spend most of my time playing metal these days. Got the Zoom Tri Metal already and it's great. Looking for some different sounds though. Maybe something that responds to palm muting a bit better.

Was looking at the Line6 Uber Metal. Seems to have a wide range of tones and also has a noise gate.

Opinions?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
I'm talking super tight palm mutes. Perhaps you can really only get that with a noise gate?

My settings are generally like this

Treble - 12 o' clock
Mid - 11.5 o' clock
Range - 12 o' clock
Bass 12.5 o' clock Any higher and it's flubby
Gain 3 o' clock

I sometimes up the mid to around 1 and lower the bass to 11ish.

I'll try dialling down the bass a bit more.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Guitar : AL3000 with Seymour Duncan JB/JAZZ combo. Also Mexi strat with Lace sensors (Red, Silver, Blue). Have a Jap Strat too but don't play metal on it.
Amp (aka the highly probable weak link). Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It's a great amp, lovely clean channel and it takes pedals real well. Not exactly built for hi-gain stuff though :)
Speaker : Eminence Legend 125 50 Watt.

I mentioned the noise gate because I thought some of the tighter palm muting came from rapid noise gate attack. You're right that the pedal is drat quiet.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Thanks for all the tips dude. I'll be sure to give those pedals a go and some day when I have money I'll look in to getting another amp more geared towards high gain stuff.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

mit_senf posted:

Is there a wah pedal out there that has a knob that lets you blend in some of the dry signal?

What you're looking for is a wah with an adjustable Q height. That will give less of a pronounced effect at the sweep frequency.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
I play drop C on one of my guitars and I needed to make up a custom set from 12-60 to get something approaching normal tension. Below B the strings get too floppy for my tastes.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

hamaien posted:

So I need (want) a fuzz pedal now that I have everything else I needed (wanted). Seeing as how there are probably a few thousand choices out there, where is a good starting point? Other than Devi Ever and Zvex, what are some good fuzz brands out there?

Also, is there anyone who makes a clone of Zvex's Machine pedal?

My only experience of this pedal is youtube, but it sounds great to me.

Frantone Cream Puff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15CROjPbddA

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Zvex's fuzz factory does all that. It can do fuzzface to completely whacked out sounds because it's basically just a germanium fuzzface with a simple input buffer and some resistors replaced with pots.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

royalejest posted:

What's the best volume pedal out there?

I had an old 70's-era Ernie Ball one, but it really dulled my highs, so if there are any that would avoid that, that would be swell.

Last resort, I'm probably going to get the EHX Signal Pad, which is just a cut, but I'd like to be able to do swells.

A treble bypass cap on your old volume pedal would probably have done the trick.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Your problem is most likely caused by ground loops. A dedicated dual output buffer might help alleviate your problems. Other "fixes" can involve unearthing one of the amps so that both are earthed through a single outlet. This is potentially very dangerous though.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Vira posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to even attempt going with the single outlet method but I'm unfamiliar with what a dedicated dual output buffer is. I'm not finding much on Google, could you explain what that is?

Edit: Would something like this alleviate the problem. An Isolation Transformer?

I'm not sure about the transformer, but a dual output buffer would could be any stereo output pedal. A tuner pedal with both muted output and a non muted output would also do the trick.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
the wizards beard is an EE or something similar so maybe you should wait till he chips in.

TWB?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
My Digiverb is nice but for some reason has a volume drop when in the effects loop of my HT5. I've heard you compliment the Marshall before Agreed, but the Harmony Central reviews seem to state that it's very unreliable. Do you know if that was a teething problem that was fixed? I've been looking for a Verbzilla Toncecore Module to pop into a dock I have but nobody seems to have them anymore.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

the wizards beard posted:

Get a used one. Any production run with problems will have been weeded out by now

True, used also means it's survived the first stage of the bathtub curve as well I suppose. BTW I'm been playing with your old Bluesbreaker2 pedal a lot recently. Great clean boost and the blues side of it is very very usable too.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

the wizards beard posted:

A friend of mine broke the power supply to your Tubeking onstage at Fibbers :ughh:

:ughh: Fibbers :ughh:

To be fair though, I haven't been in there for 15 years :P

AFAIR the PSU was a 12VAC 1A? Hack an old laptop power supply?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
I was reading about the Boss noise suppressor and apparently you're not supposed to just put it in your signal path. You're supposed to use it's send and return for your noisy pedals or something like that.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

CalvinDooglas posted:

Just got a Boss TR-2 tremolo pedal. Sounds pretty cool but there's a little bit more compression/volume drop than I'd like. Any recommended mods?

And what's the ideal position in my chain? I've got guitar > fatboost > phase90 > TR-2 > overdrives > delay.

I know there's a mod for the TR2 that involves snipping one resistor that cures the volume drop. No soldering necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Agreed posted:

I recently got a job for Wampler Pedals, recently as in over the holidays.

Couldn't have happened to a more suitable guy. Congrats dude :)