Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
any of you guitar slingers get into the korg kaoss pads?

pretty amazing little effects units with a shedload of preset effects and ability to tweak 'em all etc.

i've also seen some people mount them into guitars which is pretty epic!

the kp3's look like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Three Red Lights posted:

I've seen people do this and IMO if you're going to invest into something like that you may as well just ditch the guitar, get into synths/sampling and never look back.

you could go down that path!

i am just sorta tossin' it out there because for the price ($400 on musician's friend) it seems like something that fits into the price range of some of the effects you guys are buying.

if you picked up a midi pedal board you could control it with your feet too and just have it sitting near you

here's a short clip with a dude with a kaoss pad 2 in his guitar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhNejyIyxdE

archie
Sep 16, 2003

dear guitar people,

i'm after a decent distortion effect for my live electronic music setup. i'm pretty sure distortion is a guitar speciality, so was wondering which pedal you guys would recommend?

cheers!

archie
Sep 16, 2003

hamaien posted:

There are probably hundreds of thousands of different distortion effects so you might have to help us by narrowing it down. Do you want a small amount of breakup to warm up the sound? Do you want a saturated but controllable effect? Or do you want a full on meltdown type sound? What is your budget?

yeah it wasn't the greatest description... 'saturated but controllable' sounds like the one i'd be keen. no budget contraints as i'm sure most of them would be cheaper than the at least $1k i'd be spending on a rack for the same purpose.

i'm trying to add warmth, a fuller sound and some crunchy stuff to audio coming out of my synths and other things from the sampler.

thanks for any advice!

archie
Sep 16, 2003

hamaien posted:

I'd recommend going through the different pedals on this page and this page and listening to the demos to help you make your choice. The most famous examples are the Boss DS-1, the Big Muff, or anything with the words "tube" or "screamer" in it.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of all the Zvex distortions (you said you had a big budget, right?). The Homebrew Electronics Big D is fantastic as well and probably one of the most versatile distortion boxes you can find.

ahh awesome cheers!

i've come across this a couple of times - seems like it's something i'm after do you have any experience / know anything about it?

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-trimode-sounds.htm

thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated!

archie
Sep 16, 2003

while we're talking about distortion stuff..

i now have my mind + heart set on a frostwave sonic alienator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwt7LfNNTRM

yewwww!

sounds pretty epic with the machinedrum in that clip. i sure love my MD

archie
Sep 16, 2003

yotube is blocked at work - i'm guessing it's the one with the jonox m-resonator and the other one as well as the frostwave thingy?

i've been doing some research and the frostwave guy is having a timeout for a few months to believe it or not open a second-hand book shop. no time-frame but apparently sometime in the not-too-distant future.

in the meantime i'll have to make do with a jomox t-resonator (check it - like the m-resonator but with crazy delay stuff...)

http://www.jomox.com/product_details.php?lang=2&category=&product_id=3

drat that geiger counter is nuts!

your nick lends itself to these kind of effects pretty nicely too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archie
Sep 16, 2003

i picked up a frostwave sonic alienator - it is absolutely amazing. my chain is now pretty much just that and a couple of moog pedals and then a lexicon verb. the only problem is i haven't really done anything since getting it other than 'playing' with sounds and tweaking. oh well