Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I highly recommend Devi Ever pedals.

She has some of the most bizarre and interesting effects and fuzzes out there, and half of them are reasonably priced -- the small ones run about $95, and you can find them used for as low as $65. She also sells directly on eBay. I own two:

The Bit aka The Legend of Fuzz which emulates distorted 8-bit sounds-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZbgN8Zl1mo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx81TYgPnCg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkNvrZSZI5Y

And the Hyperion, which is more stable, but harsh fuzz that you can fiddle with to create compressed waves of noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j6Url7QnTg (I can only find a bass clip)

Both are pretty much awesome and more controllable than my Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Three Red Lights posted:

I've seen people do this and IMO if you're going to invest into something like that you may as well just ditch the guitar, get into synths/sampling and never look back.

Or install one in your guitar like Matt Bellamy from Muse and... Matt Bellamy from Muse.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Oh yeah, and I don't know who I can ask about this...

I have a Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun, which has a gate mode and an oscillation mode. If I place it anywhere in the chain other than first, the oscillation mode gives ear piercing squealing. Why is that?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Smiggles posted:

I'm planning on buying one of these in the next couple weeks. How have you liked it so far? Is it worth the relatively high price?

Yes, but I can see how some wouldn't like it. The word I would use to describe its sound is unstable. It's difficult to control and has a tendency to thin the sound a bit, but that's precisely the sound I'm going for: brutally harsh, more than anything else I've heard. Plug it in and you have an instant Noise music making machine.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Devi is a she, and apparently she goes batshit crazy when you mistake her for a he... Not that she posts here and not that we care!

im_sorry posted:

Since you seem to be into this sort of thing.. Is there a difference between the different feedback loop pedals? I'm sorta torn between someday picking up the Audible Disease Rupture 2 or Devi Ever's Eye of God. Also, I'm tempted to eventually get Devi's "Bit: The Legend of Fuzz" pedal, mostly because it just looks so nifty.

I actually don't know much about the feedback loops. I think it might be something I would pick up some day, but I'm not as full onto noise music currently. There's Eye of God youtube examples around, though. Sorry I can't comment any further.

The Bit: Legend of Fuzz I can comment on. Normally it sounds like (as the guy who reviewed it said) your speakers are ripping apart. The sound is more like the Supersonic Fuzz Gun only with less harshness, less options, and less depth. However, it actually takes a lot of fine tuning to really make it sound like an 8-bit game cartridge. Basically your control knob can only be in one or two places for it to work with your particular instrument. I get my best 8-bit beeps when I mute the strings.