Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Pretty much what Tech 21 has been doing as of late, but it doesn't have to be tube to get great tube sounds. The Tech 21 Character Series pedals can be run in your chain or can drive a power amp as its pre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyqIh99P2Q "Leeds" (Hiwatt)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKLgKJQV_g "Oxford" (Orange)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZw2a17KYGY "US Steel" (Mesa Rect.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP2Eq-jjqU0 "British" (Marshall)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Qn_rNuvn8 "Liverpool" (Vox)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKoMpeWlYag "California" (Mesa Mark)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CalvinDooglas posted:

Not quite the same. Unless you're running it into a power amp only, which is really unusual

Not for bassists!

I do this currently with my VT Bass pedal into my old Ampeg B2R's Power Amp In.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Golden War posted:

Can someone recommend a good bass envelope filter? I'm considering a few, MXR M82, Q-balls, MXR bass auto Q, EBS bass iQ. any others? I have a digitech syth wah and was considering an upgrade.

MXR Auto Q isn't really an envelope filter... more of an auto-wah.

I have the Enigma and absolutely love it. But definitely check out the M82 as well. Enigma has more versatility in its controls, can do Low, Band, and High pass where the M82 is bandpass only but has both wet and dry volume control (enigma has a blend knob). They're voiced pretty differently so it's really just gonna depend on which you prefer.

The EBS is alright, a lot of people use it. But I've never heard any sounds from it that would make me want to switch from my Enigma.

And keep the synth wah. It's different enough to where it won't really be "replaced" or "upgraded" by an envelope filter.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 5, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

plester1 posted:

I thought an envelope filter WAS an auto-wah :psyduck:

The two are often used interchangeably, but an auto-wah's sweep sets to a defined rate like on a phaser or flanger. Envelope filter's sweep responds to dynamics of your playing.

edit: Apparently with the MXR Auto Q, the rate controls the "shimmer," so this pedal may be a kind of mix between an auto-wah and an envelope. But the differences between an auto-wah and an envelope filter still stand.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 5, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

That is definitely not what I have understood auto-wahs to be. I thought it had more to do with the sorts of things that each were capable of, not that an autowah is an LFO filter while an envelope filter isn't. Envelope filters can emulate some wah sounds, but they can also do really cool stuff that wahs can't do at all.

Could you link some example pedals so I can get a better idea of the distinction you're pointing to?

I'd always made the distinction by means of just how the filter was controlled...

Auto-wah = Driven by an oscillator
Boss AW-2 and to an extent the Zvex Seek Wah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0Mg7aS_Tw (I think you can hear the boss near the very end)

Envelope Filter = Driven by an envelope.
MXR M82: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j_WqyHJaoQ

The envelope's sweep respond to the dynamics of the attack while the auto-wah(s) are a set rate.

Edit: Again, not saying all this is right or wrong, but just how I've always come to make the distinction.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 5, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

I think you're right, especially considering the actual name "auto-wah" and how it was probably originally used. It's just odd to me since sims going back to the old Zoom 505 units have had "Autowah" modules that are definitely envelope following wah-type filters. And in, for example, Amplitube 2 onward (not sure if before), the Wah pedals have an "Auto" mode, which makes them envelope controlled. Do you think the distinction holds up or has it decayed to the point of primarily historical significance?

I mean, really, the difference between "wah" and "filter" is a little bit semantic in itself, this isn't something we should worry too much over, I do think it's interesting how the terminology changes with time though.

Kind of like how a Tremolo unit on a guitar has nothing to do with tremolo at all? ;)

Honestly I think it's just semantics at this point between auto-wah and envelope filter... but anytime anyone asks me about my Enigma or anything and refers to it as an auto-wah, I make the distinction. Also when someone is asking for advice on a pedal... I want to make sure they're getting what they're looking for.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Golden War posted:

From what I've heard in youtube examples I think the Enigma is my favorite as well. I'm definitely planning on keeping my synth-wah, it does all kinds of fun stuff but I think the envelope filter on it is weak. Do you know anything about the MuTron III pedals that are available now? I've heard they're nowhere near as good as the original production.

No clue... But honestly, I think there's much better stuff out there. And I've actually been given some settings for the Enigma that ballpark the original Mutron III sounds.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Sounds like some odd Tremolo/Vibrato hybrid.

More towards Vibrato tho.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Golden War posted:

My bass amp has dual inputs for two instruments and I also have a chorus pedal with stereo outputs. I was wondering if it were advisable or not to put the chorus pedal early in my effect chain, running one output through the rest of the effect chain and the other output directly into my amp's second input, resulting in allowing me to mix in more of a clean signal with my distorted one, and loose less bottom end?

Most amps will have two inputs, but one will typically be at about -15db or so, for active instruments that have a hotter signal.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, the MXR 10-band is widely used and well regarded.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I could be hearing it wrong (crappy headphones at work) but it sounds to me more like a REALLY heavy overdrive from a tube bass amp rather than fuzz. And aside from buying a tube amp, the only way I've experienced getting great sounds like that is through the Tech 21 Character Series pedals:

Oxford (Meant to emulate an Orange amp): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKLgKJQV_g
At 0:31

Leeds (Meant to emulate a Hiwatt amp): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyqIh99P2Q
At 0:43

VT Bass (Meant to emulate an Ampeg SVT and a B-25): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4
Various parts throughout. This is the one I own.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Well, depending on what you definition of cheap is, I've found that the best rotating speaker simulation bang-for-buck comes from the EHX Wiggler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUCDMa7iYk

Can typically be had for around $150 used, or just shy of $200 new.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Has anyone gotten their hands on the Deluxe Memory Boy yet? I really want to give it a spin.

Also the picture musiciansfriend has of the thing doesn't have the output jack :mmmhmm:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

New God posted:

Yes yes I know, but as I guess you already know the bassman didn't fair too well as a bass amp. I also play loud, wall of sound shoegazey stuff so its not like a smooth 1940's bassline is coming out of the speakers.

I was also asking about the JC-120 as well, so thanks.

It's not the low-frequency of the note that makes guitar amps not able to handle a bass guitar's output. It's that the bass guitar has a much higher level of output than a regular guitar. Bass pickups have to be "hotter" than guitar pickups in order to pickup those low frequencies. The POG just generates a digital signal an octave below and/or above the signal it receives. It's not going to change the output beyond the maybe plus/minus 6db of gain that the pedal may have.

In short, you'll be fine.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Phil posted:

Dearest Dears,

I have been playing bass for a good number of years and have a decent rig. I am woefully inadequate when it comes to effects. Currently I have 1 Boss Bass overdrive, 1 Boss SYB-5 Bass Sytnth I got used yesterday (so far it's total poo poo) and 1 RAT pedal, and access to a big muff and metal muff pedal.

What I am asking here is what are the basics I need, what do those of you in the know recommend as far as reverb, mean distortion (the overdrive tends to be on quite a bit, need a second or even third distortion to really kick it up live), delay, bass synth and really anything else cool you can think of for bass. I really want to expand my sounds here.

My pedal-board is what I consider to be a good "Bassist Survival Kit." It's a little more tailored to funk, but everything in it is useful for pretty much any style of music:

So I've got:
1. Ocatver (MXR Bass Octave Deluxe)
2. Envelope Filter (EHX Enigma)
3. Limiter/Compressor (BOSS LMB-3)
4. Synth (BOSS SYB-3)
5. Vibrato/Tremolo (EHX Wiggler, not always useful for bass, but fun for experimenting)
6. Preamp/Overdrive (Tech 21 VT Bass)
7. Direct In box

In my opinion, that's pretty much everything you need for most situations, except for maybe a good delay pedal.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hadlock posted:

Tell me about your oak pedal board holding everything together

edit: serious post

Birch actually.

Well it started with some birch plywood I bought at Lowes. I cut the boards to fit a case I had already picked out. Here's how it started:

With this case:

I had some spare pine 2x4 sitting around, so I cut it for some supports for the tier:

Screwed it all together, put down some strips of velcro, and voila!

The case had a lot of extra padding (it's meant for a turntable), so I had to gut one side of it in order for the board to fit and the lid to close completely.

I'm currently in the process of routing-out the middle of the tier for better cable management, and painting the whole thing with some texture rustoleum paint. And I added some velcro to the side so I can easily mount my direct-in box.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 19, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

This guy has reviewed a poo poo ton of compressors. They're mostly from a bass POV, but mostly should carry over to guitar usage. I ended up going with a BBE Opto Stomp, which I like (also using on bass) and is around your price range.

More importantly, he has a FAQ and description about Compressors and what they do that EVERY musician should read:

http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pimpology 101 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the EHX Germanium Muff?
I was thinking about getting it since it would be cheaper to get it rather than an overdrive and distortion separately.

The Germanium stuff has a very unique tone. Just make sure that's what you're looking for before dropping the cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7d4y-G3TE

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

xkem posted:

I have been looking at the SYB-5 (for my bass), I am running Guitar Rig 4 Kontrol (which I am loving) but am thinking if I can't get the same as what the SYB-5 is offering (which I'm sure I could if I spent about 2 years trying to emulate it) I might just buy it. But in terms of simplicity and speed, the GR4 is so simple to use and swapping effects around in the chain is effortless, although I have heard a lot of people say 'it just isn't the same as the real thing', I am no pro and the sounds I am getting seem awesome enough to keep me happy for a long time.

If anyone has any advice on the syb-5 that would be good, I'm reading a lot of mixed reports, a lot of guys dislike the temperament of the expression pedal and get rid of the whole thing straight away, others love it.

I haven't had any experience with the SYB-5, but I owned an SYB-3 for many years, only recently selling it because I just don't use much of a synth sound in my current playing. What I've always heard was that the 5 is very similar to the 3, but with improvements on the tracking/triggering of the effect. Honestly I never had much trouble getting the 3 to track/trigger well, but I understood its limitations off the bat. But the 5 was/is still far from perfect in that regard from what I hear.

Honestly, if I was in the market for another synth pedal (which I kind of am), I'd save up a bit more money and look into the Markbass Super Synth. Though it has its own presets, you can hook it up to your computer via USB and through provided software, you can have control over the presets by changing pretty much all of the parameters. I think total it can save 12 presets to the pedal itself, but you can save as many to your computer as you want, and simply switch them out. Best of all it's got full octaver functions as well.

(screen of part of the software)

Or hell, if you have some SERIOUS cash... find yourself an Akai Deep Impact SB-1 on ebay.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Someone please buy this and report back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZGDYJ77xA

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

I feel like I need to try that on bass.

Sympathetics can sound kind of muddy on bass if you're lower on the register... Worth a shot though!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Well yeah, when you completely fabricate an instrument especially FOR that =)

Sounds awesome though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Epi Lepi posted:

Hey goons, if you needed a pedal repaired or modified, where would you go? I can't find anyone local to me on the east end of Long Island, and while I'm sure there's a bunch of places in NYC, the trip in and out of the city would cost me as much or more as it would to mail them somewhere.

I've got a couple older Electro-Harmonix pedals that I'd like to get some work done on. I have a Russian Small Stone Phaser that sometimes needs to be turned on and off a few times before the effect comes on fully, a Russian Big Muff that sounds kind of fizzy when the tone knob is past 12 o'clock, and a Deluxe Electric Mistress that has a huge volume drop problem.

I've also got a newer Big Muff with Tone/Wicker control that's just plain broke and I have no idea why.

Any recommendations or any goons that want to take a whack at any of my gear?

Isn't EHX located in NYC? Have you tried emailing/calling them to see if you can just send it into them? Even if it's older, they're known for having great customer service in the past. Can't hurt to try.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

massive spider posted:

POG style 12 string sounds are pretty cool, not like a real 12 string at all though.

Definitely. It's really just a matter of finding the right balance between the dry and wet signals to prevent the overly synthyness of the POG from coming through.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

HollisBrown posted:

Anyone know what effect Jerry Garcia might be using on his guitar on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQF8CILMt8c

He uses this sound a ton this album, and it's really subtle. I can't figure out for the life of me how to recreate it. I think it's a flanger but I'm not even sure they existed yet (1969).

It might be a little more pronounced in this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYvoNr3As4I

Definitely a flanger to my ears. The Beatles were using it in the studio on Revolver, so it was def. around.

edit: By the beatles reference I mean that it may not have existed in a pedal-form for live performance, but it was definitely available as a studio effect by then.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 12, 2012

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Fancy Molasses posted:

I picked up an MXR el grande bass fuzz a few weeks ago and it started loving up on me today. When I turned it on, I wasn't getting any distortion or really any sound unless I turned the volume knob all the way up (all the knobs seemed to effect the volume). Then when I pressed the 'deep' switch, it immediately started making a really loud, high-pitched buzzing sound. I turned everything off, unplugged and re-plugged everything and it was the same; no fuzz, and that loud buzz when I pressed the deep switch. Then I tried switching the cables, and the distortion worked as normal, but pressing the deep switch still caused that buzz. I switched the cables back, and nothing changed. Then I turned everything off and on again, and now I'm back to where I started. My bass and amp work fine without the pedal connected.

Does anyone know what the gently caress? Is my pedal toast?

Did you buy it new? If so, I'd return it and get a new one. It sounds like maybe some of the solder connections poo poo out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Looking for a decent octave pedal, I heard the microPOG and POG2 are really good, also saw someone playing a Trex Octave pedal and it sounded sweet. Are there any other suggestions I should consider?

I would like it to be able to handle chords, also bass/guitar friendly.

I had a microPOG for my bass, tracks absolutely flawlessly with chording. You can get some really neat sounds with the octave-up as well. It's very very CLEAN sounding in its octaves... Which can be a positive or a negative. I loved it for a good while, then started to miss the sound of a good, rich, analog octaver, so I ditched it for an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. And while I get great sound out of that pedal, and it tracks well, I miss being able to track double-stops and chords.

I haven't played around with a POG2... Definitely looks and sounds interesting, I'm just not sure I could get much use out of the -2 and +2 settings, plus I already have an envelope filter, so I don't need the one that's on the POG2's circuitry.

I'd say for a bassist, the MicroPOG is plenty. But if you're a knob-tweaker and want to experiment with some crazy poo poo, and have the money... go for the POG2

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Sounds like the microPOG is what I should grab, do you think it would be able emulate stuff like this on bass? I am not entirely sure but I think they use an octaver, on some of their records they do a chimey synth like stuff which I THINK is just an octave up?

any experience or opinion on the OC3?

For reference:
Live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZINrCk1xM

The synthy stuff is at the beginning - record https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFjXVGFvb6U

I can tell you right off the bat you won't be able to get that sound from the MicroPOG alone... You'll need some kind of dirt/fuzz behind it. Yeah I can't really tell what they're using or if they're just tuned way the gently caress down.

I've played around with OC3s in shops, but I've never owned one. I've always just kind of thought of them as being mediocre in terms of tracking/triggering, but they have that nice warm, dirty sounding octave that the OC2 had. Also, the polyphonic mode on the OC3 isn't true polyphonic. It only tracks the first note you play in the chord, generating the octave for that note, and then allowing the rest of the notes to pass through "dry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Crosspost from the new purchase thread, but with folks talking about power options, I just picked up a Truetone CS12 and I absolutely love it.

For anyone curious, chain goes:
- Korg Pitchblack tuner >
- PandaMidi Future Impact v3 synth >
- MXR Bass Octave Deluxe >
- EHX Enigma Q Balls envelope filter >
- Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter >
- Tech21 VT Bass