Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone tried the mod to add a clean blend to an MT-2? I wanna try it but mines a waza so im nervous to drill it

Is the Waza Craft MT-2 not made with surface mount components? My impression was that all of the Waza Craft versions were surface mount, which would make modding them incredibly difficult, if not outright impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Toebone posted:

I’m thinking of picking up an overdrive to go along with my Rat and Big Muff, mostly just bedroom playing through headphones. I’m currently deciding between a cheap TS clone (Joyo’s seems good), an EQD Plumes, or a BD-2. Any opinions or other recommendations to check out?

Plumes is very well regarded for the "TS-esque" space. I have an EHX East River Drive which is a true bypass clone of the TS-808 and relatively low cost (not a lot less than a Plumes though). Joyo Baatsin is a TS clone with a selector knob for a bunch of variations of that circuit.

You might want to check out a Klon Centaur clone. There's a bunch out there that mention "horse" or "pony" or something in the name (Joyo's version is "Tauren"). EHX Soul Food and MXR Sugar Drive are also very similar.

Joyo Ultimate Drive is another easy recommendation and a clone of the Fulltone OCD. EHX OD Glove is a very similar circuit as well.

Slightly less common are clones of the very well regarded Hermida ZenDrive, which is supposedly "Dumble-esque". I believe the Joyo Taichi is supposed to be a clone of that circuit.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A Nobels ODR/Nordland ODR should be in the discussion imo.

Nobels ODR-1/mini are cheap enough that I could recommend them to someone relatively new to pedals. It just didn't make it into the first 4 I thought of for someone buying their very first overdrive.

My next 4 overdrives to recommend over the 4 types above would probably be the Timmy, Boss OD-3, ODR-1 (with bass cut), and the Duke of Tone or a somewhat-reliable clone of the full King of Tone (Joyo King of Kings maybe).

Nordland ODR-C is pricey enough that I wouldn't recommend it, although I've heard only good things about it.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

One of the better cheap-ish OCD clones is (regrettably) the EHX OD Glove. Joyo Ultimate Drive is another.

EHX pedals are cheap enough that you kinda had to assume the labor situation wasn’t good.

I need to find someone that wants ironically large pedals to take a Full Drive 2 and Germanium 4 Big Muff (which isn’t a real big muff?) off my hands.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Josh Scott of JHS is sure that the DOD FX50b is not closely related to the DOD250. This contradicts what other people often say about it. Seems like he would know (this should be set to start at 33:10):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx3GsD2XBZU&t=1990s

ricecult posted:

I have a DOD fx50b that I love, but is starting to crap out. It wouldn't be expensive to replace, but I wouldn't mind getting something a little more high end but with a similar sound/response. People compare it to a Boss SD1 but to me the DOD has a more open sound, and is more reactive to where you set the drive knob. Not looking for a clone exactly, but something that has a similar character. Anyone have any recommendations?

What you are describing reminds me of what people say about modded Boss BD-2 Blues Drivers. The standard setup for a BD-2 has some settings where it can sound quite bad, and might not be very close to what you want. However, popular mods to the BD-2 fixed some of those problems.

Among mods for it, Robert Keeley had the famous "Super Phat" mod. Keeley Electronics now just sells a true bypass'd Super Phat Mod pedal in a standard (non-Boss) enclosure. The Waza Craft BD-2 in "custom" mode is alleged to be very similar, if not identical, to Keeley's mods. You might be able to demo a Waza BD-2 in a store?

In terms of circuit topology, a BD-2 is way different to what I've seen for the FX-50B, so you just gotta trust your ears to see if this is in the ballpark for you.

Comparison of modded BD-2s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUB4zXDwuPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

ricecult posted:

And I love it so much. Is there another pedal that works quite the same way? Or is there a combination of pedals that would theoretically get somewhere close?

If you have a pedal sound that you really love already, it may not make sense to try to reinvent it with other pedals. Nothing else will ever sound exactly the same. You should look into getting more examples of the same pedal while they are still relatively cheap, at least.

Also, getting a pedal rehoused is not just a thing that some weirdos on the internet do. I have heard it is pretty common for session players to get old Ibanez MT10s rehoused to keep them working, and Tom Bukovac has (had?) an old Nobels ODR-1 rehoused that shows up on pictures of his pedal board.

I imagine its probably not cheap to have a pedal professionally rehoused, but you know you won't be disappointed by the sound you get in the end. The same really couldn't be said for buying or modding other pedals to try to get close.

Major Operation fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 26, 2023