Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Just got my license last night, been scanning around 2m and 70cm just to see who's around. Gonna probably dig into digital modes, especially when my RTL-SDR comes in tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

RadioPassive posted:

I did that a few months ago.

HamExam.org to study

https://hamstudy.org/sessions to schedule an exam

I just chose a date that was convenient for me, with a club that was local to me at the time, but I hear people are just scheduling them wherever, since it's all remote anyway.

They are very stringent about inspecting your examination area for outside materials during the exam. Most people recommend using a laptop in your bathroom since that'll be the easiest room to make clearly empty for the examiners to see.

It's almost weirdly strict. When I took mine in August, they made me take everything off my desk, including my mousepad, which raised concerns because it had LEDs in it (I'm gamer trash in my desktop aesthetic). They specifically say you're not even allowed to have a beverage or snack near you when you're taking it.

Super make sure that you pay attention to the requirements; with Covid, they're doing more tests with fewer participants to try to pile people into the hobby.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

Cool, I made my first echolink contact last night and my first actual radio contact this morning. I have a Tenway-branded BaoFeng 8w* HT and apparently it was working really well!

* I think, it was advertised as an 8w UV-5R but I'd only be a little surprised if it's actually 5w

Most of the 8w Baofengs are closer to 5w, yes. Plus, every doubling of watts is... what, half an S-unit? So you're not even going from S5 to S5.5 using a 8w over a 5w transceiver.

As HRCC said the other day on his stream, pretty much every baofeng is the same, and their advantage is their price.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

What's a decent base station/mobile that will be good for someone who only has their tech that isn't some crazy 1,500$ USD thing? Like, something I can hook up to a better antenna and get some range and more than 2m/440 without droping a half month's salary?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Motronic posted:

Your confusion here is that you think it's about the radio rather than the antenna. What kind of space do you have?

I'm only asking because right now all I have is an HT.

I'm living middle floor in a triple decker, so I've got some windows and, if I can convince my room mates, a porch on the other side of the house I could run a feedline through, but no roof access and it's a shared backyard so I can't do any sort of perminent installs there.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Stack Machine posted:

I get that nerds will gatekeep literally anything, but this attitude is insane given the amount of technological primitivism in the hobby. You're giving up all of the niceties of modern communications networks to raw dog the ether and there's still somebody there telling you there's only one right way to do that.

Not saying Jonny's new rig isn't sweet as hell. Just that there's room in the hobby for home-built QRP rigs and antique boat anchors too, and people who can't appreciate all these cool designs (and their operators) are a plague.

Anytime this comes up in a hobby, it's always people who's only value is that they were there first, or were able to sneak past the gate when it was closed tighter, and need that in order to feel special.

Magic is just as bad, just look up the hate Brian Brushwood gets for teaching people tricks on YouTube.

I picked up an N9TAX slim jim a while back to replace my signal stick when I'm at a fixed location and it's made some of the repeater work nicer on my HT, but hitting the local APRS Digipeater/iGate is still intermittent. Wish I could get it up higher, or use a more permanent setup, but I don't have access to the roof and we live middle bitch in a triple-decker. First time in my life I've actually wanted to own a home vs. rent.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The 3DR has the advantage of the touch screen, but it's not the best even then. The manual is great, but sometimes poo poo just slips my mind, and "AUTO AF DUAL" isn't something that really sticks in your mind.

That said, everything else about using it is wicked good.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Finally got my hotspot working and jesus christ i forgot how unitelligable engineer-written software can be. Not so much in the UX parts of it, but in asking or getting a goddamn question answered. Do you turn on "WiresX passthrough"? Yes, no, yes yes and no, respectively, judging by the various tutorials I've found online. I get that that's relatively simple to test, but it's just frustrating that there's not a clear answer (Yes, if you want to be able to change rooms using your radio).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mic fright is real poo poo, though hanging out on the AG0ON TG with other goons helps.

Also, if you're looking for some digital modes, RTTY, APRS, and if you get up to General/Extra FT8 are all pretty popular. I know there's something of a movement to bring back RTTY Ragchews, but I dunno if that's going anywhere.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

thehustler posted:

What if I’m doing it over FM simplex - does the increased bandwidth matter then? I’ll give this a try at the weekend anyway, from the top of a large hill.

Gonna try an SSTV SOTA activation.

If anything, it makes it a bit clearer.

SSTV is super "durable" and can be tossed out over basically anything. Some youtubers I watch did it across their little suburban development by holding a phone up to a $10 Wal-Mart FRS radio.

Hell, the space station throws it out over an FM link while spinning wildly and screaming through space at whatever speed and people can pick it up with rubber duckies on HTs.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

I am studying for Tech. I don't want to use this crappy baofeng anymore! What HT and antenna combo will let me hit digipeaters/sats from a good distance?

For Digipeters, I assume you mean APRS digipeaters? For that you're pretty much going to be using either an APRS-enabled radio (which can be a pretty penny), or hooking up something like a mobilinkd to your phone and HT and using ARPS.fi/APRSDroid.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Casual Encountess posted:

im in my HAMmock

King of the 'fengs over here.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Get on AG0ON and play some Action Castle.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

Welp, ordered a Yaesu FT-3DR - who's on Wires-X?

As far as my (eastern MA) experience is, Wires-X is a mode exclusively used to control PiStar boxes for connecting to DMR TGs.

I think maybe HRCC has a WiresX room/reflector/whatever they call it, but that's legit the only time I've seen it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

You can sooooometimes mess with combining two antennas in different directions - or an omni plus a directional - but really, most of the time it's over-engineering. See, 'directional' antennas aren't really like lasers, more like lanterns with a reflector on one side. Even off the back or side of a yagi or log periodic the signal will be only 10 to 20 db off 'peak'. This is often more than adequate to pick up locals but lets you aim it at the weak signals of interest that need the main lobe. I have a small VHF/UHF tv antenna for OTA, and aim it at the weakest station I want to pick up, and all the local ones come in great even though it's not looking at them at all.

I should do that. There's an APRS digipeter I always have trouble hitting but everything else is local and pretty loud.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Wrap a steak in antenna wire and transmit on 2m for two minutes or until well done.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

America posted:

You'll probably want to add a ground strap to the steak for maximum flavor transfer.

You definitely want an SWR (Sizzle to Wrap Ratio) of 1:1.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I just got my two old rear end 27mhz walkie talkies working again, but the telescoping antennas are in bad shape. I wanna buy new ones and I got some questions.

-SWR, I just heard about this, apparently this is how much of the energy that is sent to the antenna is actually radiated out and the rest is sent back to the unit, which means with badly adjusted SWR it could destroy the circuitry? How do I adjust the SWR, do I need a special unit for it, do I measure the antenna connected to the transceiver or separately before connecting it? Do you adjust it for a particular range or is it meant to compensate for random environmental oddities in your local transceiver?

Should I go for a telescoping antenna, or would one of these work, the telescoping one looked like it was over a meter or 3 feet extended. I don't need that big a range I think. I see most antennas you can buy has a BNC connector, I am wondering if I should fit a BNC connector so I can easily swap antennas, if that is possible. Again coming back to the SWR thing, not really sure if one adjusts the antenna or the transceiver, if the latter I guess swapping out antennas without recalibration would not be a good thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154077276357

SWR is basically the "fitness" of the antenna to the the frequency being used, and is effected by a ton of stuff, up to and including matching networks and antenna tuners. If you're buying a CB/27mHz antenna specifically, then any will work as long as the connector is right, as it will be purpose-made for that band and a low, or at least acceptable, SWR.

If the old ones can come off, post a picture and any of us can identify a connector.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Officially I don't think you're allowed to modify anything in the case and keep it part 95 accepted for CB if you're in the US. IDK how the law works elsewhere, check your local listings.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

sporkstand posted:

Alrighty then. I'm interested in getting a GMRS license but I'm not super comfortable with my name and address being available in a publicly searchable database. I've noticed that a lot of the people that use GMRS around me are far-right nutjobs that brag about their gun ownership and love of Drumpf. So my question is, if I use a name and address other than my own, am I running afoul of some federal law? Or should I just use whatever I want and not worry about the FCC?

It just has to be an address that you can regularly recieve mail at; I know that a lot of hams use a local PO box or such for their license address. As for name, I think that does have to be your own, because the license is issued to you as a person.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

VHF 6 is 82-88 MHz, not commonly used other than butting up against the low end of broadcast FM. I don't think there's anything that should be dumping a data carrier (the static you describe) on that frequency unless something really lovely is happening. Could you record the sound? A few of us can identify data by ear.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

My building's exterior is going to be undergoing an overhaul over the next six months which made me think of this post. I'm going to have ten stories x fifty meters of scaffolding adjacent to my balcony, is there any way I can leverage this into a stupid antenna?

If KI6NAZ has taught me anything, it's that all you need for an antenna is a balun, a matching network, an unpainted surface, and a dream.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

blugu64 posted:

Well I know some folks think FT8 is cheating, but I’m sure having fun.

Anyone against digital modes is just an old mad that they don't have computers.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Isn't 900 MHz one of the Forbidden Frequencies cus we still haven't updated the lovely "no spying on analog cell phones" law from the 90s?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Also if you're bored, a bunch of people are trying to make CB interesting again, and that's license-free.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

And if he wants to keep portable, the Signal Stuff Signalstick may be overkill, but it's reletively cheap and an awesome, reliable beast of an antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

As I slowly rebuild myself into the amatuer radio world, I was thinking of setting up an RPi with an SDR in my bedroom. Anyone have any luck with that, or having web/remote accessablility on something like that, ideally with the HackRF or one of those cheap SDR sticks?