Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have set up an active antenna hooked up to a RTL-SDR. This is babbys first radio hobby stuff i am doing and i wonder how i can "read" morsecode with a program that can translate for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

FLDIGI is a popular "Swiss army knife" of digital decoding. The interface is a little "open-source" but it's not terrible.

Be aware that most code is down in the HF bands where a stock RTLSDR can't tune. A "HamItUp" box solves that problem.

i get a local norwegian 159k hertz station so i can hear things. My brother ordered a hamitup box thing. it converts megahertz or something higher. idk i havent read the ARRL Handbook 2013 yet so i dont know much about this (because it is huge and has so much mathematic beautiful mind equations).

edit: i got sdr to output to fldigi with some virtual sound cable thing and it works! I can see forever.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 25, 2017

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

razak posted:

FLDIGI is a wonderful UI compared to multipsk.

That is the ultimate in ham bad ui experiences.

i tried multipsk. it looks like what aliens use for FTL radio communication.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
After searching for software for sdr i have the following setup:

fldigi
hdsdr
mixW
multipsk (lol)
sdrconsole 2.3
sdrsharp
sigmira
sorcerer
artemis for sigid

I really wish this was more accessible for noobs. I have ordered a telescope mast and i am saving for a discone antenna so i can cover most bands regarding RX.
I am also gonna read up and get a radio license (which i was informed is a FULL LICENSE in norway and some other countries have SHAREWARE LICENSES) :smug: :norway:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Currently reading up on what I need for my technicians licence.. I can get an ~70 on practice exams without even looking at any of the test prep so I'll read the study guides a few times and go from there.

One thing I Find striking is the amount of basic electronics and elec calcs you need to know for the test, it's like were' stuck in the 50's and everyone is buiding stuff in their garage and the FCC doesn't watn you to kill your self.

I am reading up on what i need to know for the norwegian license test (CEPT,SHARE,HAREC equivalent) and there is a lot of math and its dreadful. joule ampere watt coloumbus ohm I Q R blablabla.

I dont need to build things from scratch as some kind of irradiated fallout survivor.
:negative:

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 12, 2017

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Why is it that when i connect a 5 meter metal wire to random places on connectors (sma,usb,BNC(?)) the noise from usb(?) is almost eliminated in 20m ham band????

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

did nobody mention that radio is largely witchcraft?

"yes i knew that wrapping sheep skin around connectors would propagate clean noise waves throughout my setup because S/C=AM correlates with F*O/O+L equation. please believe me."

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I ordered a discone antenna (N-type) and put it up outside but i dont have any N-plug for my rg213 coax so it is just decorative :negative:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I am using a 5 meter mast right outside my apartment.

Notice the active antenna in a bottle duct taped to the mast. Real Pro.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Do you live in the wilderness? I hate the EMI noise here in the city and i wonder how much improvement one would get in no mans land.

Here is my useless royal scanking discone 2000 securely fastened to solid wood mass.

It will go to a lightning surge protector in the white box then to the ventilation to my living room where i have my PC/SDR.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

Sorta, it's in a locally rural area but it's 20 minutes from 7 million people (hosed up bay area zoning in a nutshell).

There's a hill ridge that separates me from there so I don't get too much noise here. However I'm also in a valley so desirable stuff frequently gets blocked as well.

Hmm... I live in a city of about 19000 so i guess i dont have as much emi as big city folks.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Is that HAARP?

Even worse, its 1.1

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

seems appropriate for something where 70 year old men talk on 60 year old radios

Norway had a field day for radio and contesting and i was there even though i was not a member and it was almost only 50+ year old men talking about working at the sea and radioing mateys and sitting around drinking beer and some years they argue about muslims/politics as old people do. There was around 3 people under 30 lol.

I have now combined discone antenna and active hf antenna into one powerful beautiful solution, behold!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Vir posted:

Most of the Field Day events I've taken part in Norway has been with these guys: https://www.la1k.no/ and since it's the radio club of a student association, they're mostly under 30. This year I couldn't commit to a full weekend, so instead I went to a park with some friends and they got to try amateur radio for the first time.

Big city club with fancy equips and hippie students *ptoo* prolly radioing communist chaina

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Today i got Airspy HF+ from CHYNA. AGC is p. nifty in sdr#

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I tested airspy hf+ on my laptop and having a sdr run on battery is such an improvement that it is mindblowing. I get 10+ radio stations on Medium Wave Vs NOTHING :psyduck:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

What are these radio signals?

edit: lol @ airspy hf+ update procedure

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 16, 2018

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I am at 60% towards my license. Math is boring and necessary.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I set up a new miniwhip antenna and also an usb-hub with radio that i power via motorcycle battery and it STILL connects to PC(earth)-->Electrical Grid. I have ordered a usb isolator to fix it forever.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
bad news, an 12 mbps isolator wont work with airspy or rtl sdr. I have decided to try out an raspberry pi powered by battery instead.

If it still creates noise because hdmi grounds from screen to raspberry then i am going to be intel dead inside.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
now i wonder what IS the problem really? what IS THE PROBLEM? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I took the exam yesterday. plz end this suffering.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

notanarsonist posted:

Did you pass?

Yes. Now i try to look for not so expensive transceiver and antenna so i can have money for food.

edit: I used this book https://www.nrrl.no/amatorradio/bli-radioamator/720-laereboka-er-klar-for-levering and someone in the local radioclub taught me 4 hours a week. It took three months from "I dont know how to find a common denominator what is a number duuuuuhhhhhh" to passing the exam with just 3 wrong question (7 was the cutoff point).

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 16, 2018

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Have anybody tried the RS-918? It is low price compared to Icoms and stuffs.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I managed to contact people with an yaesu vx-1 today, i am finally a radio talker!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

xergm posted:

Let's be real, the people with the technical know-how to mod their radios to TX out of band really aren't the people you have to worry about.

If I wanted to cause havoc, I wouldn't risk screwing up a good, expensive radio with my shoddy soldering skills, I'd just order a cheap Chinese radio that will TX out of band straight out of the box.
Baofengs are currently running ~$35 with prime on Amazon.

My brother ordered two BAOFENGS and i get one. 4W output instead of 1 woohoo

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I was gonna put up a wire from my house wall to a tree besides the parking lot but the leader for HOA said no because it would look too much like Africa.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, aren't HOAs very limited on pursuing antennas since they fall under the FCC's jurisdiction?

This is in Norway and regarding racists in Norway there are many people that use the word Neger and hate immigrants. :negative:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I got help to put up 20 meter wire from the top of the building to a tree. It was done very goodly and greatly and the coaxial cables now go through the wall into the living room so it looks better than before.

If people say that it looks like Africa after all this work then i am going to be annoyed.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
My test this year was 60% regulations and procedure and the rest was actual math/radio wave/signal things.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Sniep posted:

Does any other goon have the DMR bug? Or am I it?

My local radio club have a project to set up a repeater for DMR this year. I really hope it is done because phone quality sound WITHOUT naise? Noice. :coal:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
look at my awesome long wire antenna performance!

NOT!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

What did you use to get the chart? I've got a fancy rigexpert with usb output but I haven't tried that out yet

My brother used a https://www.anritsu.com/en-US/test-measurement/products/s331l

I am on disability so i cant afford good things.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

psh, my doublet's above 10:1 on a few bands. tunes up fine and works FB. i run 120 feet of 450 window line to the shack window, then it hits a 9:1, a 1:1 and whatever tuner i'm feeling like. My 746 autotuner will actually do the job on all bands but 75, but i dont operate much on that trash band so who cares

I havent set up counter poise for my antenna yet so hopefully it will be better at 40, 20 meters.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I am borrowing IC-77 from the local radio club and i am going to try to get it to communicate with usb signalink. microphone connector to ethernet lol.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Michael Jackson posted:

I am borrowing IC-77 from the local radio club and i am going to try to get it to communicate with usb signalink. microphone connector to ethernet lol.

update: i bought an elecraft kx3 and i am now sending EMAIL through winlink (ardop).

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

Does the kx3 come with a sound card or are you using an external box?

i am using usb signalink for winlink use. But it is only mono sound output and i want IQ data for HDSDR, so i am going to buy a regular usb sound card that complies with USB 2.0 FULL SPEED so i can put it on a galvanic isolator for USB 2.0 FULL SPEED.

edit: lol i posted about the isolator i bought thinking it was usb 2.0 hi speed (480 mbps i think)

Michael Jackson posted:

bad news, an 12 mbps isolator wont work with airspy or rtl sdr. I have decided to try out an raspberry pi powered by battery instead.

If it still creates noise because hdmi grounds from screen to raspberry then i am going to be intel dead inside.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 1, 2018

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

manero posted:

Instead of isolating the USB, maybe isolate the audio ports? You can get cheapo stereo isolators for like $5 on amazon. I use a pair of them taped together for audio stuff with my KX3.

Also make sure your sound card can do stereo input, and can support the full bandwidth for the IQ signals coming out of the KX3. I picked up a Xonar U7, and it works pretty well with the KX3's IQ out

Yeah, i tried to make IQ show up in HDSDR but nothing worked until somebody told me the specs of my usb signalink :P

The reason i bought usb isolator was for RTL dongle and airspy. But now that i have a stand alone radio unit then i can just isolate audio ports instead.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i ordered a high speed usb sound card so you better be right about them thar stereo isolators!!

edit: Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Having an external sound card instead of built in realtek motherboard card did wonder for getting rid of noise. kx3 panadapter time!

edit: audio isolator worked great. rx i/q data in hdsdr looks great.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 18, 2018