Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hey neat I passed my technician exam today :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oh awesome, my plans are almost exclusively DMR/D-star/echolink! I got my AMBE3000 dongle before I even took my test; the first thing I do once I get my callsign is gonna be to register for the digital networks (if there's links I should read, please hit me with em!)

I don't know enough to prefer one digital format over another, but if there's stuff going on over DMR, I'm there!

I'm also interested in sending TV/image signals (on whatever frequency or network, SS or FS I'm not picky) cause that's awesome. And I want to build a transceiver, because I like soldering and that's cool. I'm not super interested in things that require big antennas because given my living situation, that would just be setting myself up for dissatisfaction.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

OK, I have my AMBE3000 and my DMR ID, and I registered for D-Star.

Now, is there any OSX software that'll let me connect to brandmeister? I know there's EchoHAM for Echolink and Buster for D-Star, but I can't figure out anything other than running BlueDV in a VM for DMR (this isn't really possible because my laptop is rather old and does not really have the space for a Windows install). Any tips? I have a linux server that I can install software on, but actually using it as a workstation is a non-starter because as it's headless and I want it to stay that way.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the milk machine posted:

Has anyone here done a technician exam online or can recommend an org?

Is there anyone that’s currently doing the pass tech -> take general in one sitting thing online?

I just did that. I took the one administered by AA7HW. They asked if I wanted to go for my general, but I didn't attempt it. Pretty much all tests will have the "keep going" option since they all use the same testing site.

There's no need to use a laptop in the bathroom if you can guarantee that no one will come into the room. You just show off the room with the webcam, do a 360 with it, show your desk, and then take the test. If somebody comes in the room, it invalidates the test. I'm married with a four year old and have my desk in the living room but was still able to get 20 minutes to take the test without having to hide in the bathroom lol. The room doesn't have to be empty by any stretch- you just have to take papers and random electronics and poo poo off your desk.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 30, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

It was looking like my nice audio interface/condenser mic setup wasn't going to work in echoham, and i was very disappointed. turns out, switching the mic from input 2 to input 1 got things to start functioning.

still trying to figure out how to get on dmr/brandmeister with a mac and no radio without spending a bunch of money

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drunk mutt posted:

Download BlueStacks and install DVSwitch. Which you'll need a bridge to connect to; if you just want to test it out hit me up on Discord and we can get a bridge spun up and you can test, or if you have Docker installed I put together https://github.com/hsoj/hamenv to simplify getting everything spun up.

The gist is you use the mobile app to connect to the bridge, which passes traffic to an md380 emulator container to decode/encode the audio and then out to the BM network.

Awesome, thank you! I'll start messing with this as I'm able!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Neito posted:

They specifically say you're not even allowed to have a beverage or snack near you when you're taking it. .

This must be a req for whatever VEC you used, not the FCC. Mine was totally fine with me drinking coffee the whole time (could've just been that my mug wasn't suspicious or whatever though?). I couldn't get up to get more or w/e, but they were all very reasonable IMO. Strict of course, but i never felt that their requirements were dumb (also I used to teach so I know how hardcore people will try to cheat, though)

I guess the best advice is just what you said: read the instructions carefully!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cool, I made my first echolink contact last night and my first actual radio contact this morning. I have a Tenway-branded BaoFeng 8w* HT and apparently it was working really well!

* I think, it was advertised as an 8w UV-5R but I'd only be a little surprised if it's actually 5w

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm part of the way there on using my Mac as a DMR interface. I have blue stacks installed, and can record audio in a random voice recorder app I installed. I'm running mmdvm bridge and analog bridge on my server, with a dv3000 stick being used directly by analog bridge (no ambeserver).

I can hear audio (other people's parrot calls) when connected to the BM parrot at 9990, but my own never come back. There aren't obvious errors in the logs that I see from either mmdvm bridge or analog bridge. I get key messages in the logs when I hit the PTT button in DVSwitch Mobile; not sure if I should be getting other messages too.

Any ideas?

e: I have my DMR ID set; sometimes in the conf I use it. I use it + 00 in one conf and +01 in the other because the comments made me think that the suffixes should be unique. But it also didn't work when they were the same. I am using 50111 as USRP tx and rx ports because all the guides said to do that (and to use an unrouteable 169 as the IP for that).

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 13, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drunk mutt posted:

It will be super hard to provide the support needed via the forum for this one. Hop onto the discord link, even if just for the matter of time it takes to figure it out.

It sounds like the analog bridge isn't configured for the right decoder and you're seeing the analog and mmdvm bridges work. I put the suite together with the idea that the firmware emulated was used. So we will need to look at your setup and work through it. Which I am totally down to do, just this isn't the best medium to do it.

Will do, cheers!

e: HA! I found a post that says tht DMR parrot won't work in group call - it has to be private call. I found another post saying that DVSwitch Mobile can't do private calls. So that's probably it the problem. I'll see if I can find an active TG to test with since the parrot appears to be a no-go

E2: looks like there's something called pyuc that might be able to connect directly to my analog bridge instance rather than doing the android emulator thing! Fingers crossed! I'll have to work on that tomorrow, though

e3: aww hell yeah, it's workin. Cheers!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 13, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

https://www.google.com/search?q=%222+watt%22+%22frs%22+%22radio%22+-gmrs+-dmr+-ham&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

I found the search link from here, where stackexchange is being stackexchange but some helpful posts managed to make it through

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

What's the point? I don't understand what that gets you

Don't get me wrong, if it's just because running your own super accurate time server is sweet, I'm on board. But I am also curious why someone would bother hooking up that reference clock to the 9700

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Got it, thank you!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah sounds like you're talkin about slow scan tv on 20 meters.

General steps:

get your sdr set up with a wire antenna - the longer the better but at least 15 feet long outside

Get a slow scan tv reception program and get it set up to listen to the SDR audio output - often this requires a glue program like VirtualAudioCable

tune to 14.230 upper sideband basically any day of the week during daylight hours

MMSSTV is PC-only but it's my favorite program. it'll autodetect which of the 38 possible modes they're transmitting with.

do you know of any OSX alternatives to MMSSTV? is Multiscan any good?

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 2, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yo jonny, i've been trawling goodwill for old HF rigs without success for a while now; if you're down to hook it up i'd be forever grateful! i got a shortwave receiver today and it turns out i can rx from my patio, so i might not have to be strictly mobile after all

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo <3

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Turmoil posted:

Congrats. I have my technician exam scheduled for next weekend.
I've been using HAM Study and pretty pleased with it.

hamstudy is very good. i used it for tech and general. i never really got started using it for extra - basically i read the book but got busy/lazy after only a few hamstudy sessions of the material. but it seemed great for that, too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i spent some time over the weekend putting an analog bridge+mmdvm bridge setup that uses a thumbdv into docker and then into unraid. now i can do the things i could before, but in a container instead of hanging off my server

maybe i will eventually hit up the dmr net yall run

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

actually hit the button on my baofeng after a long time of not doing that. had a brief qso with a guy from up north and maybe also a guy in san francisco; i couldn't be sure 'cause it was really hard to copy. but anyway it was cool and i like talking on the radio

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hbag is in the uk

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i was listening to a local-ish net on websdr and it was really pleasant. they were talking about microwave stuff and how it's cheap and not their thing, but pretty cool. then the operator thanked people for not getting too political and tried to wrap up. then some shitbird decided to complain about the NFL playing lift every voice and sing, and then they started haw-hawing about "old people matter."

just boom outta nowhere, let's have some lovely racism. thanks for that, really made my morning better.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok i found a different one and this time homeboy's talkin about his tomato plants and bein worried about wildfires, i can get behind this :getin:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

thought it was a good idea to play Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes over FRS walkie talkies at a controlled federal facility which is considered a vital security asset and has lethal force authorization
:staredog:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i spent some time at the park with my shortwave and rtl-sdr today. the rtl-sdr was doing great until my laptop got too hot and throttled (it was in the sun). i shut that down and put up the long wire for the shortwave and was able to receive lots of cool things. heard a POTA activator for a bit on 20m. it was a good time

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

the latter, its not pertinent to scoring

nothing is ham radio is pertinent to scoring

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PSA: .radio domains are 25 euros a year if you're registering your callsign. There are a few other ways to get the ~90% discount, but this is the one I care about

You need to go through register.radio to get the discount - all the other registrars i checked like Gandi only sell for the full-price 200-something euros/year.

register.radio makes you fill in your contact info for the various WHOIS contacts, but don't expose that information after registering - I emailed to ask because I didn't see a whois privacy thing during checkout.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Motronic posted:

If you're registering your call sign why would you care about private whois contacts?

Spambots scrape WHOIS, which has phone + email. all they get if they scrape the FCC is my home address, which I could use a PO box for if I cared.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whoa that's cool, i want one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's what i used to get my tech. read the book, do a couple practice tests on hamstudy.org and you're good to go

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the wizard page doesn't seem to be loading for me. i'm gonna make a guess that somebody's running sqlmap and sleeping the poo poo out of his database

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think some of it is also that the elmers with big towers are dying and being replaced by apartment dwelling POTA and SOTA folks that plan on actually taking their radios on hikes and stuff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

xiegu is generally well respected. i've never used one though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

they also couldve been talking about rf in the shack. radiated rf can build up potential in metal stuff in your shack; touching that metal can shock/burn you

that seems much more likely to me - grabbing a transmitting antenna is really dumb, but rf in the shack is much less so rf in the shack isn't dumb at all - just a mistake. and it doesn't always occur, so as i understand it it's one of those problems you don't know you have until you get a zap. whether it happens often or painfully enough to actually _fix_ is up to an individual's taste and situation)

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 21, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Forseti posted:

a coax is essentially a big capacitor and they can apparently accumulate quite a high potential. I remember I used to get shocked pretty good occasionally pressing the switch on top of our old TV to change the RF input from the satellite receiver to the roof mounted antenna, I'm guessing that's why.

For the NanoVNA, all you have to do is discharge it by shorting the conductor to the shield first at least.

i meant things getting a charge during tx from basically turning into impromptu antennas, not charging up and storing like a cap. it hadn't even occurred to me that the shield and conductor could act like plates in a cap. thanks for bringing that up before i move to a place that lets me have big cool antennas and zap myself!

for tvs i'd expect it was just the crt doing its whole "im a crt this is how i work" thing and putting static everywhere more than the coax but :shrug: im wrong a lot, especially about electricity and radio and that's just a guess.

fuckin electricity. fuckin radio. always surprising me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think it's $15 to sit for a test here, but if you do multiple tests at the same sitting there's no extra charge

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i can use my game gear tv tuner to pick up my rebroadcast somafm stuff from earlier. im planning on getting it set up to broadcast ds9 episodes, but haven't come anywhere close to getting around to it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJGAdiV6_qc

i talked about it in the yospos thread but dont think ive mentioned it here. i'm jusing a raspberry pi gpio pin to broadcast internet radio under part 15. i tune into that with my old radios (and also game gears) and it owns

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 29, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this is a homemade radio telescope, and it is cool

rf is just visible light with a much longer wavelength. what you describe is a fine way to set rgb pixels for 650nm/550nm/450nm wavelengths; there's no reason i see that it wouldn't also work for 32.7/12.5cm/5.17cm (pace beam widthstuff)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it always comes back to "RF is weird"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when yall say monitors, are you talking speakers or displays? cause every monitor-meaning-display i know of just takes 120vac straight to the domepiece (and probably has some kinda transformer in there but idk what). unfortunately my monitor-meaning-speakers are the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drunk mutt posted:

There are "monitors as display" that use DC inputs off AC with transformers, it's actually quite common

huh cool, that's news to me. thanks!