Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

ATLbeer posted:

This is the first time I've posted anything on this project but, it's finally at a point where I'm semi-OK with how it's looking and functioning (not that a screenshot needs to function but, I need it to)

The essence of the site is to aid in helping people putting together a custom built PC. The internals of the site (django based) has a highly abstracted model on how a computer fits together. Different types of interconnectors (AM2/LG755/PCI Express/etc) and understands how all the components pop together. Using this you can select one part and then wade through the other components knowing that they will all fit together properly.

I hope to have a full beta up and running by August. There's a lot of bits left but, I've just finished the 'core' functionality tonight.

I'm envious of all the ray-tracing and OpenGL stuff. I want to learn how to make pretty pictures.

Yes... this was also ironically developed on a Mac :v:

Very cool, I created something similar(though stupider, parts were just "parts", IE CPU or GPU, it didn't know how they interacted) using PyGTK, basically mine was just for checking newegg prices and other related tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

ATLbeer posted:

I hope to have a full beta up and running by August. There's a lot of bits left but, I've just finished the 'core' functionality tonight.

Neat app. Did you consider putting space considerations into your model? I know some video cards can be too huge for some configs, as well as some odd things like half-height PCI for mini-ATX cases, etc.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

El_Ergo posted:

Neat app. Did you consider putting space considerations into your model? I know some video cards can be too huge for some configs, as well as some odd things like half-height PCI for mini-ATX cases, etc.

Thats on my huge list of to-do's which I'm prioritizing.

There are a TON of little gotchas when building a PC and I'm working my way down the list of biggest problems (a LGA775 motherboard can't accept AMD chips :v: ) to things like component power consumption (still not finished) for proper power supply choice.

There's also a balance on when to launch vs. feature set. Obviously if I sat around and did everything before launching it will never be done. So some things (unfortunately like half-height v. full height etc) is going have to have to wait for future iterations.

I'm trying to determine some method of "expert approval" of builds, so that someone has looked over a build and can confirm that the listed parts should be 100% compatible. I consider that a feature that is way up there for inclusion before launch.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

In-house configuration file manager.

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

slovach posted:

Is there a specific game it's targeting?

The target is my engine. No specific game, but I have a couple of ideas.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Zaasakokwaan posted:

In-house configuration file manager.

please please please align the left edge of the logo with the left edges of the input fields. It may not seem like a big deal, but it will drive a certain percentage of your users bat-poo poo insane if it's centered and nothing else is.

jonnii
Dec 29, 2002
god dances in the face of the jews

Lumpy posted:

please please please align the left edge of the logo with the left edges of the input fields. It may not seem like a big deal, but it will drive a certain percentage of your users bat-poo poo insane if it's centered and nothing else is.

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/crapthe-four-principles-of-sound-design/

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer
What, like this?...

e: Design-wise, that's about all I control on this project. The colors (a zillion shades of blue and grey, fonts, sizing, etc are all Design By Committee. That looks... a bit odd, but it's been a helluva day and if I can make one person happy, so be it.

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 8, 2008

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Zaasakokwaan posted:

What, like this?...

e: Design-wise, that's about all I control on this project. The colors (a zillion shades of blue and grey, fonts, sizing, etc are all Design By Committee. That looks... a bit odd, but it's been a helluva day and if I can make one person happy, so be it.

Better to leave the image in the centre and move the inputs to the left to line up with it. Please.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Adhemar posted:

Better to leave the image in the centre and move the inputs to the left to line up with it. Please.

And right-align the text labels!

Edit:

This is going to be the best in-house configuration tool ever! :neckbeard:

pseudopresence fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 8, 2008

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
/\/\ except now you have "Logging In..." centered when nothing else is. -10 points. :)

Adhemar posted:

Then the window has to get wider because there's no room for the labels if they inputs move over.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 8, 2008

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just a thought - what do you think about this:

e: without all the design bits, natch.

ee: Many of the suggestions I can't implement because $BIG_COMPANY has handed down HIG/CHI dox that control a lot of the layout aspects. Like the "Logging in..." explanation texts at the bottom...

eee: The width of the box is overkill for the user/pass elements, but the validation drop down is required to contain the entire text of some of these databases, many of which are /foo/bar/eggs/spam-database-name-no-kidding

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 8, 2008

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Zaasakokwaan posted:

Just a thought - what do you think about this:

Delete and pretend you never made it.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tough crowd :)

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd
This fun!

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Zaasakokwaan posted:

What, like this?...

Stuff looks like it goes a few pixels farther on the right than on the left. :downs:

Fix this and somehow get the logo aligned with controls AND centered, and I'm sure that for that one brief second after it happens, the world will be a truer and more beautiful place.

edit: oh jesus, it looks like it already happened.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
I think that dialog box should be painted blue :colbert:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I'll stop obsessing now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Lumpy posted:

I'll stop obsessing now.

The right edge of "Quit" should be aligned along the right edge of the logo, as "Login" is along the left edge.

Edit: "Loging in"

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 9, 2008

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
His original screenshot was fine, in my opinion. The logo doesn't need to line up with the data entry fields. :mad:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

biznatchio posted:

His original screenshot was fine, in my opinion. The logo doesn't need to line up with the data entry fields. :mad:

It worked before, yes, but I'm not a designer at all and even I can see that it looks better this way.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Ok, enough with futzing around with dialogs. Here's the "sandbox" test level for the game engine I'm working on:

Features:

* Win32/C++ from scratch with a few things like image loading and XML parsing taken elsewhere
* OpenGL with some rudimentary GLSL shader support... the shadows are simple planar shadows projected over the world geometry
* Milkshape3D (a cheap, decent 3D modeler) mesh support with skeletal animation, using XML files to "augment" the mesh like defining moving platforms, triggers, entity/item placement
* Some particle support that I need to make more robust (i.e. define particle behavior outside C++)
* Some networking support: the "game" will automatically download updates by comparing checksums... I'll add multiplayer at some point
* A decently robust "cylinder-on-a-stick" (e.g. Mario 64) platforming engine that utilizes a partitioning structure to only check as many triangles as needed
* As far as assets, the textures I found using GIS (it's hard to find good smoke textures) but the meshes are mine
* Really simple following AI - the AI knows about edge connectivity data (no manually placed nodes), so it uses this to find the most direct route to the player. It works ok, it just needs to look more natural and not zig-zag

I'd love to be able to turn this into a full-fledged old-school Rare-style platforming romp, but assets are the most tedious thing. Plus I've got a bunch of different ideas, and don't know what to pick. This might turn into a multiplayer arena-style deathmatch game.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Lumpy posted:

I'll stop obsessing now.

Well done, now I can sleep again.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

One of my companies clients here in the UK is The New Football Pools, a re-branding of a betting game that was based around football (soccer) and in it's height had 6 millions regular players. It was a type of spread betting type of game, which lost popularity.

To get back the players, they want to enter the internet age and we have been developing a desktop application using nothing but HTML, JavaScript, a little bit of flash (animations and AIR libraries) and Adobe AIR. These screenshots show the application in action.

It lives in the system tray as a little football. It has a right-click context menu, and left clicking shows the application. Currently it has a RSS feed called Pundit's Corner, as well as static content to games and offers online. It also has a podcast player (controlled all with JavaScript!) that uses JSON to load off a control panel backend.

The backend also controls the notices the application receives, which triggers and window and a small animation.

We're currently in UAT with the client, so there might be some further changes, however this is now a very stable application! The app has a built-in auto-updater that checks the XML file remotely using jQuery. If the remote version is higher, it fires the updater to download and update the application.

We also have a clever little migration script that handles database updates per version.

Really, AIR, I can only describe it in two words: Bloody Brilliant! I've loved working on this application, and I can't wait to start adding more features. I'm definitely going to learn AS3 and add more flash-based interactivity.

We'll be releasing the application on 7th August, though I might try see if we can do a closed beta-test via the forum.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

Video from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1P_B65XW4I

Most of the work has concentrated on Spiders, although I'm currently extending the simulation to cover creatures of similar morphology (body close to ground, legs in parallel), such as insects and lizards.

Very nice and creepy as hell.

monsterland fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 10, 2008

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

Most of the work has concentrated on Spiders, although I'm currently extending the simulation to cover creatures of similar morphology (body close to ground, legs in parallel), such as insects and lizards.

So in the videos is there a general path that the spider must navigate across? Or is it just put in a box / near a wall, and the AI does the rest?
On that note, when the walls get destroyed, is its movement away from the collapse AI too?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Zaasakokwaan posted:

Tough crowd :)

How about if you add a [X] to the window too because you've got a 'quit' anyway.

Make the logo as wide as the dialog box, remove the dashed border.

Remove the blue colour :geno:

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 11, 2008

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Personally, I think the bike shed should be green, green's my favorite color. Can you also put in a bike rack for those newfangled recumbent bikes? Thaaaanks. :)

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

Ooh, walking spiders. I made a halfassed attempt at making exactly what you're working on, during senior year in high school. Except instead of actually thinking about ethology and balance and important things like that, I made an enormous blob of a neural network and hoped that reinforcement learning would solve all my problems :downs:.

In the end all my spiders succeeded in doing was curling up their limbs underneath them in a sad attempt to satisfy the minimum-height term of the reward calculations. I'd post a screenshot if it wasn't ugly and embarrassing compared to yours.

I'd love to hear more details about the algorithms you used :)

Entheogen
Aug 30, 2004

by Fragmaster

Nomikos posted:

Ooh, walking spiders. I made a halfassed attempt at making exactly what you're working on, during senior year in high school. Except instead of actually thinking about ethology and balance and important things like that, I made an enormous blob of a neural network and hoped that reinforcement learning would solve all my problems :downs:.

In the end all my spiders succeeded in doing was curling up their limbs underneath them in a sad attempt to satisfy the minimum-height term of the reward calculations. I'd post a screenshot if it wasn't ugly and embarrassing compared to yours.

I'd love to hear more details about the algorithms you used :)

me too. is your dissertation publicly available?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

I've been developing techniques for the realtime procedural animation of assorted creatures for my Ph.D. The idea is that all animation is driven by the creature's embodiment in the environment, taking a lot of inspiration from AI, robotics and ethology.

I felt bad when the spider fell down :(

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Avenging Dentist posted:

Personally, I think the bike shed should be green, green's my favorite color. Can you also put in a bike rack for those newfangled recumbent bikes? Thaaaanks. :)
Haha, never has that analogy been more proven than right now in this thread.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Currently information for incorporating companies or changing company details is submitted to Companies House (UK) in an odd coded tag format by email. They're switching to an XML format later this year. I'm making our internal software compliant with this.

Click here for the full 982x744 image.

The sad part is this is the most interesting project I've worked on in the last 3 or 4 years :( You can get back to your procedurally animated spiders now. Those videos are incredible.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Ah, what the hell. This is from various stages of [ongoing] development of our game "Shelter", a post-apocalyptic RPG.

It is kind of a mod, since it overwhelmingly uses graphics assets from Fallout:Tactics, but it has nothing to do with Tactics actual executable or data formats. The resemblance to Fallout interface is purely intentional and has nothing to do with it being an "addon" to a FO:T executable.

Youtube - "Atmosphere" teaser from last year, narrated by my cousin, who is the other 50% of development staff.

Youtube - 9-minute continuous intro+gameplay trailer (sound required for intro).

Gametrailers - higher quality version of above video.

monsterland fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 11, 2008

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001
Slight cheat, since I've just stopped working on it (released yesterday):

iPhone app that lets you view photos from a bunch of different online sources.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Factor Mystic posted:

Comprehensive file association editor for windows, with focus on usability. Designed for Vista, plays nice with UAC, but most file association stuff can be set as a user preference anyway. I'll be posting a thread in SH/SC for feedback when it's done.

Finally reached a good point with this and released it. But everyone hates the UI (thanks for the feedback :argh: ), so I'm still working on it.

I took some suggestions from #cobol and broke up the group boxes into tabs.

And a collapsible group box to add a new file type.

Entheogen
Aug 30, 2004

by Fragmaster

monsterland posted:

cool poo poo

hey that's pretty cool man. how long did it take you to assemble all the sprites and put them in game like that?

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Entheogen posted:

how long did it take you to assemble all the sprites and put them in game like that?

It's hard to say, as the renderer has been evolving parallel with everything else. The project picked up speed in 2005, but it existed for a good 5 years before that in a state of... flux.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Null Pointer posted:

I've been working on a level editor for about a week.

Right now I only have sectors, extrusion and sector subdivision implemented, but later on it's going to support positive-space volumes, patches and path lofting.
Why bother with manual sector division anyway? Just support positive and negative volumes and you should be able to generate sectors by just generating a BSP tree from them.

quote:

It is kind of a mod, since it overwhelmingly uses graphics assets from Fallout:Tactics, but it has nothing to do with Tactics
You might want to make sure it requires Fallout Tactics in some way to avoid getting C&D'd. Supposedly Interplay's a rotting corpse right now, but they're still aggressively enforcing IP ownership.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

OneEightHundred posted:

You might want to make sure it requires Fallout Tactics in some way to avoid getting C&D'd. Supposedly Interplay's a rotting corpse right now, but they're still aggressively enforcing IP ownership.

Already thought of that - the fact that it won't be downright distributed with FO:T assets is mentioned both in the FAQ and in the description of all of its Youtube trailers.