Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

OneEightHundred posted:

Why bother with manual sector division anyway? Just support positive and negative volumes and you should be able to generate sectors by just generating a BSP tree from them.

Division/cleaving/clipping is how you make sectors and brushes that are not hexahedrons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Intel Penguin posted:

For some reason, this sticks out to me as bullshit. That's not a screenshot, it's a photo. Unless the device is part of the sim, but that doesn't make sense.

And how exactly are you training medics with this?

Definitely not bullshit, would you like to seem some actual pictures of the device?

Its a procedural trainer that monitors, evaluates and reports treatment decisions. I wrote the original paper on integrating it into an existing military program. After creating a mockup as part of the paper, I was asked to start making a prototype and now two years down the road we're currently in the productizing phase.

Maybe I should post a youtube of it in use.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
For the last week or so, I've been working on adding a blog system to my website.

My site is strictly ColdFusion, and I decided since the blog wasn't really going to be a focal point of my site, that I might as well take an existing package and fit it into my site.

I went with BlogCFC (http://www.blogcfc.com).

But this is really meant for someone who just wants a personal blog. I had a grander idea - I want all of my (1000+, 187 of which are goons) users to be able to post blog entries as well. But I don't want it all to just get dumped into one giant blog. I wanted to have each user's personal entries on their profile page. Then I'd also have my "site-wide" blog that's for me to post news about the site, etc. BlogCFC = not exactly meant for this. BUT I was able to modify the code heavily and get it working (almost all the way!).

Here's BlogCFC's blog page:

BlogCFC's entry page (which is in the BlogCFC Administrator):

Here's my blog page so far:

And here's the entry page each individual user would use:

Technically what I have done to achieve "multiple blogs" out of the one system is just have each user post to their own unique category. So I basically remove all references to categories in the entry and actual blog display.

So I can offer RSS feeds for: just my site-wide blog, the site-wide blog + all users, individual users, etc. I'm also going to allow users to rate other users' blogs - and then you can tailor an RSS feed that only gets blogs from highly-rated users. (to weed out all the bullshit a lot of people will write)

I also will still have access to BlogCFC's "original" Administrator, where I can moderate all blog entries from one place.

I could have built one from scratch, but BlogCFC has a lot of built-in stuff that would have been tedious to build myself. Like the RSS feed, the Digg crap, the comments, comment moderation, the search, etc. Obviously I still need to go in and edit the CSS for my blog display, but that's coming last. :)

My site is http://www.fourdown.org if anyone wants to check it out. I'll be posting the modified BlogCFC source there (alongside the only other source I have available for download - my jQuery star ratings system - http://www.fourdown.org/code/jq_rating)

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

cletus42o posted:

This looks cool, but you really should use PNG for screenshots :v:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Scaevolus posted:

The artifacting is a feature of the app. :2bong:

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Scaevolus posted:

I'd go back and fix them but I only saved them as low quality JPGs, doh. I don't claim to be a designer. :)

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz

Hello Pity posted:

Currently information for incorporating companies or changing company details is submitted to Companies House (UK) in an odd coded tag format by email. They're switching to an XML format later this year. I'm making our internal software compliant with this.

Click here for the full 982x744 image.

The sad part is this is the most interesting project I've worked on in the last 3 or 4 years :( You can get back to your procedurally animated spiders now. Those videos are incredible.

It may not seem that exciting to most but I have to say - I am interested! I work for the government (HMRC) and in hours of complete boredness in work I read the Government Gateway PDFs about the XML standards etc. Helps pass the time! Do you work for one of the big 4?

StickGuy
Dec 9, 2000

We are on an expedicion. Find the moon is our mission.
I've finally gotten my Large-eddy Simulation on the GPU mostly working thanks to CUDA. Here's a screenshot of some simulated cumulus clouds:

I still have to improve the rendering and try to improve the numerical stability a bit.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

StickGuy posted:

I've finally gotten my Large-eddy Simulation on the GPU mostly working thanks to CUDA. Here's a screenshot of some simulated cumulus clouds:

I still have to improve the rendering and try to improve the numerical stability a bit.

How are you finding the CUDA SDK on Ubuntu? A friend of mine just got his Geforce 280 for CUDA and is looking at putting Ubuntu on his machine to use it (He generally uses FreeBSD). Any weird pitfalls you encountered?

StickGuy
Dec 9, 2000

We are on an expedicion. Find the moon is our mission.

Zakalwe posted:

How are you finding the CUDA SDK on Ubuntu? A friend of mine just got his Geforce 280 for CUDA and is looking at putting Ubuntu on his machine to use it (He generally uses FreeBSD). Any weird pitfalls you encountered?
I found it a bit difficult to get started. I'm using the CUDA 2 beta 2. It requires installing the beta graphics driver from the NVIDIA website so you can't use either the standard NVIDIA driver or use envy to install a driver. Also, to get STL to work, you have to use gcc 4.1. After that, it's just the usual CUDA pitfalls which are many.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Nice stuff guys! Keep 'em coming.

On my part I've been working on trying to make some sort of multi-touch sound program similar in a way to the Reactable but a bit more oriented towards DJ performances.

Right now this is a simple sound recorder module. I've mainly worked on the interface for now and I've made wobbly windows which are fully graphically updated (if something moves in the window and it's wobbling the content is updated live).

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.
My first ever flash application! For the AIR application I posted earlier, our client requires to be seen to be verifying users ages (because it's a gambling site). For this, I started building a crappy little verification script in JavaScript, but getting the AIR installer to appear nicely wasn't working well, so yesterday I sat down and started to learn Actionscript 3.

Today I have build this installer. It's a flash movie with the same age verification logic as before, but when the user clicks to verify it loads another flash movie - either a static "Sorry" message, or it loads the AIR badge for the user to install the app.

This part was the hardest - but in the end, all the trouble was because I needed to test in the browser, CS3's inbuilt flash player for debugging is useless.

The initial installer screen. It's still very rough until the designer gets her hands on it

This is the AIR installer being invoked into the movie

And the AIR installer loading up

Finally, here is the message if you are underage, a static flash movie

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I love this thread. It's always interesting to see what people are working on. My own contribution isn't anywhere near the same level as most of the projects here, but I'm quite pleased with it.

Basically, it's a small program that reads a bitmap 'save' file like this:

and turns it into a map for a small game I'm working on, that looks like this:

Click here for the full 646x514 image.

Yes, those are Advance Wars graphics. It's not just graphical, each tile holds details such as terrain type, and eventually buildings and units as well. Getting each tile to display the correct 'orientation' (corners, straight up, junctions etc.) was pretty tricky, and all the code related to loading and displaying the map is horrible messy and bloated, but I'm nevertheless pleased with the result. It's one of the most complex things I've made so far, and I've enjoyed it.

EDIT: Managed to add in bridges that the loader class automatically inserts and orientates. Also began to place restrictions on what can go where; no buildings in rivers or oceans, for example.

Is this a good place to ask other people to take a look at code, and ask for advice, or would the appropriate language megathread be more suited?

Staggy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 22, 2008

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Coded up an Apples To Apples Card Generator for the Make Your Own A2A Card thread.

e: Why can I not remove the image?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 24, 2008

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
A small deferred renderer in OpenGL and GLSL.

Nothing to fancy so far, just building the G-buffer.

Click here for the full 800x800 image.

Top Left: World Coordinates
Top Right: Normals
Bottom Left: Diffuse Color
Bottom Right: Depth Buffer

I know that holding both the Depth Buffer and the World Coordinates themselves is unnecessary (as one can be used to compute the other).

My end goal is to use it to do some underwater lighting effects ive been working on, and also because its fun!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've been working on a simple little zombie game in python, and it just hit the "fun" mark. It's basically a ripoff of Zomband, a zombie roguelike. I thought the game was great, but had some ideas to make it better, so I made my own. Still needs a bunch of tweaks, but I'll post it in games in a few weeks (I'm about to leave for the desert for a while, so I won't have any chance to work on it until I get back in September).

Outlaw Programmer
Jan 1, 2008
Will Code For Food
I've been working on this "Space Invaders" project off and on for a few months now. It's written in Java.

In January I bumped into some of my old code from a games programming class I took in college. It was so horrible I could hardly believe that I had written it. I wanted to work on a simple game where I could put my focus on writing clean, elegant code. The game itself was almost secondary; I just wanted to make sure that, given the same project, I wouldn't wind up with another mess.

It's 99% done. I think I want to redo those bullet images and change a few of the sound effects but otherwise I'm pretty much done. I think I made the game engine general enough that I can use it on other projects. On my machine, it can handle a few thousand sprites at 100FPS:

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

If I run it through a profiler it looks like the Java2D calls are the bottleneck (i.e. Graphics2D.drawImage()) so I'll either have to switch to something like LWJGL or just man up and move on to C++ with the big boys. On the plus side, my game engine is extensible enough such that I could swap out all this graphics stuff without much of a hassle (just need to implement 3 interfaces: DrawingSurface, GameImage and GameImageFactory).

Entheogen
Aug 30, 2004

by Fragmaster
I implemented marching cubes algorithm to generate iso surfaces for the data I am visualizing. Here is one screen shot

and there is more here: http://giga2.cs.ohiou.edu/~neiman/sn/iso_surface/iso_surface.htm

Entheogen fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 11, 2008

Dr. Stupid
Feb 3, 2005

Oops, you're dead.

Entheogen posted:

I implemented marching cubes algorithm to generate iso surfaces for the data I am visualizing. Here is one screen shot

Are you visualizing Autechre tracks?

Entheogen
Aug 30, 2004

by Fragmaster

Dr. Stupid posted:

Are you visualizing Autechre tracks?

What is that? I am visualizing the data that my boss has given me, which is a solution to some wave equation describing how cell releases some chemical from one of it's organelles, or something of this nature. It is same stuff that I have posted pics of on previous pages.

wolf_man
Oct 5, 2005

Nunez?
For my CS senior project (graduating with my degree on the 17th woot!) I created "P.O.M" - Project Organizer and Manager . Its a web-based project management software. I was focusing on keeping it simple and clean.

Even though its web-based (therefor in browser) I tried to make it as much like a desktop app as possible (drop down menus, floating windows that are draggable, no page loads except for login/logout).

Here are a few screen shots for you. (click for bigger, its my site so its not leeching)

Login-screen

User dashboard (after login)

Opening a project

Viewing history

viewing project report( reports can be printed ad display statistics and a general overview of projects/tasks)

Managing project users (you can add/remove users and edit their abilities in the project)

viewing messages

Creating a custom skin (you can change over 40 display aspects of the program)

It's pretty much complete, But I'm still improving it and I plan on releasing it as open source as soon as I feel its ready (I'm sure there are alot of people who can add alot to this).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

wolf_man posted:

I created "P.O.M" - Project Organizer and Manager . Its a web-based project management software. I was focusing on keeping it simple and clean.

Are there any web browsers for GEM, as that UI will fit in. Did you never try using activeCollab or base camp?

SarcastaBitch
Apr 30, 2006
madprocess's little woman

Entheogen posted:

What is that? I am visualizing the data that my boss has given me, which is a solution to some wave equation describing how cell releases some chemical from one of it's organelles, or something of this nature. It is same stuff that I have posted pics of on previous pages.

Apparently they're English electronic musicians. I think he was saying that the visualizations look like they belong in a rave.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

wolf_man posted:

For my CS senior project (graduating with my degree on the 17th woot!) I created "P.O.M" - Project Organizer and Manager . Its a web-based project management software. I was focusing on keeping it simple and clean.
Looks slick! I bet you got a good grade. Nice work.

wolf_man
Oct 5, 2005

Nunez?

MrMoo posted:

Are there any web browsers for GEM, as that UI will fit in. Did you never try using activeCollab or base camp?

I've never heard of GEM (after googling I'm guessing you mean the guild manager) so I do not know anything about it.

I have used activeCollab and base camp. I had to build something for Senior project that would be complicated enough to show off what I've "learned" in College, yet easy enough to finish in 3 months. So I decided to make my own. It's deffinetly not as complex as others out there, but I'd like to think its somewhere close.

DLCinferno posted:

Looks slick! I bet you got a good grade. Nice work.

Thanks ( final grade: A- )

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

wolf_man posted:

I've never heard of GEM

The Atari ST's poo operating system:

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

I got jealous of all the fun apps the iPhone folks were getting, while the WM apps are usually so. . . bland. So I started writing my own. This is my latest hobby project, a WM twitter client.

A screenshot doesn't really do it justice, the kinetic list and side menus have to be seen.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

wolf_man posted:

Even though its web-based (therefor in browser) I tried to make it as much like a desktop app as possible (drop down menus, floating windows that are draggable, no page loads except for login/logout).

A fun as it must have been to re-implement a windowing system in dhtml, breaking the browser metaphor is a cardinal sin of ui design.

If you do continue down this route, ensure that the back button works, and you can open any link in a new tab.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

MrMoo posted:

The Atari ST's poo operating system:

GEM was open-sourced in '99, still kinda lives on: http://gem.shaneland.co.uk/. MiNT+GEM on the 030 was arguably better than the Macs at the time, but everyone knew it was dying, so...

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster

Entheogen posted:

and there is more here: http://giga2.cs.ohiou.edu/~neiman/sn/iso_surface/iso_surface.htm

These are ace backgrounds you're rendering.

wolf_man
Oct 5, 2005

Nunez?

tef posted:

A fun as it must have been to re-implement a windowing system in dhtml, breaking the browser metaphor is a cardinal sin of ui design.

If you do continue down this route, ensure that the back button works, and you can open any link in a new tab.

the back button is definitely an issue I still need to fix, but all the links are just javascrpt call that only load/reload different sections of the dashboard (using some ajax calls)

neka
Sep 11, 2006

Sir Davey posted:

Nice stuff guys! Keep 'em coming.

On my part I've been working on trying to make some sort of multi-touch sound program similar in a way to the Reactable but a bit more oriented towards DJ performances.

Right now this is a simple sound recorder module. I've mainly worked on the interface for now and I've made wobbly windows which are fully graphically updated (if something moves in the window and it's wobbling the content is updated live).

That looks real interesting, do you have a portfolio of similar work?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Subtitle editor for the rendering engine I built:

Oops didn't realise how big it was.

Right now I'm working on getting the text to be auto-sized in the same way it would be in the renderer. The main point of the program is to take multiple SRT files and combine them into a single multi-track format file, and also to optimize line breaks within subtitles to maximize the resulting font size.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 21, 2008

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

I have a large barge with a radio antenna on it.
The colours :barf:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Thanks for breaking my tables goon.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.

Not exactly a screenshot, but I do work on it. :c00l:

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Malderi posted:

Not exactly a screenshot, but I do work on it. :c00l:
Holy poo poo! Details please! What do you do, what part are you working on, etc... :)

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.

DLCinferno posted:

Holy poo poo! Details please! What do you do, what part are you working on, etc... :)

I work for a contractor. I'm currently neck-deep in flight software code handling telemetry for the Pad Abort-1 test. I worked on Shuttle stuff for a while (I've tried to contribute as much as possible to Shuttle mission threads in GBS and A/T), but I'm working on Orion now.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Malderi posted:

I work for a contractor. I'm currently neck-deep in flight software code handling telemetry for the Pad Abort-1 test. I worked on Shuttle stuff for a while (I've tried to contribute as much as possible to Shuttle mission threads in GBS and A/T), but I'm working on Orion now.
I missed your username in the shuttle threads, but that's a loving awesome job and I'll be watching for it now. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

I'm working on a library for XNA for the rendering of BSP files, Quake 3 ones in particular. It's about 40% or so done now; I should make a roadmap for it I guess.