Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

(Xbox 360 game. I do graphics/multiplayer programming.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
I put editing tools directly into the game, sometimes with a standalone GUI which talks to the game over the network. That way you can visualise exactly what you're getting, edit on console builds, etc.

Here's my space game, showing the editor in action (please ignore the placeholder art):

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
I really like it.

I always do GUIs to scale with resolution, it reduces the number of bugs where stuff doesn't fit when in German at some weird resolution. You have to be careful with scaling text if you want it to look any good - I use FreeType and round the scaled size to an exact pixel size. Also you have to think carefully about which screen edge(s) each element is aligned to for it to work in all aspect ratios.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
Really excited about this because it works far better than I imagined. My space game now works with the Oculus Rift:

The HUD is very large at the moment to make it readable on the low resolution devkits, but it still works well. There is still some chromatic aberration despite the correction, but it isn't too bad.

I thought objects in space might be a bit too distant for the stereoscopic 3D to do much, but it gives an incredible sense of scale. The headtracking also seems to make the physics more intuitive, although I'll need to test it on people who haven't played before.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

tef posted:

The only effective way of tidying up of source code is deleting it. Everything else creates more work.
I'm not sure what you mean. Clearly it is possible to improve code.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

tef posted:

Yes, by getting rid of it :v:
I don't disagree with that! I do think it's an interesting discussion because I end up spending a lot of time on my personal projects fiddling about making the code better instead of the game (because I find it fun). Maybe one for the coding horrors thread.

On topic, I did somehow actually add a new feature to my game - weapons. Horrible programmer art ahoy:

This was more work than it looks. Turrets can either be fixed or tracking, each has its own tracking speed, shell velocity, rounds per minute and burst rate. Ships can die and float around as wrecks. Human players are provided with a new one by the server. The end result is that it's becoming an actual game instead of a physics demo.

Next up is missiles/CIWS and fixing the giant HUD.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

Suspicious Dish posted:

This boggles my mind every time I hear it. Why?
If you need reliability but not ordering (or perhaps reliability but only sometimes), it can greatly reduce latency.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
That looks great, I've added my vote on Greenlight. Have you considered VR support?

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
I have the same issue myself, I was thinking in terms of the final higher-resolution Rift if/when it appears. I imagine it would work really well with your 3D cockpits.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
Cool, although in my browser (IE11) it looks peculiar when resizing the window (because there's no scrollbar). Looks like it redraws in new random colors.

Are you going to do more books?

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
I don't believe that's true. If you're using modern C++, and you at least know enough to use smart pointers and not call new or delete, it's more difficult to get it wrong than right.

You still get resource leaks in garbage collected languages anyway.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

Jewel posted:

Even the people who've used C++ all their lives will probably agree C++ sucks balls and is only good for it's sweet spot level of abstraction to speed.
Nope - I preferred C# at one point but eventually changed my mind. Partly for templates, and partly for destructors/smart pointers and usable value semantics. The only things I miss from C# are the superior standard library and LINQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
I'm sick of flying past thousands of copies of the same cheesy asteroid, so I've been added some scenery to my space game. I'm a terrible artist, but the game really needed some content so I've had to learn to use Max.

So behold my new space station loosely based on the Valley Forge from Silent Running. I haven't done any of the buildings or the docking area yet, but I have the main trusses and the crop domes. The trees weren't mine, I got them from opengameart.org.

It will probably be a million polygons when finished. I'm sure a real artist could make it look twice as good for half as many, but for something 2km long it's acceptable. I'll probably have to make LODs (particularly for shadow casting, as you can see in the screenshots there are no shadows yet).

Here's a bonus picture of my new lens flare. It's a post-process rather than a billboard-with-occlusion-test so it works on any bright area, in this case the exhaust of a pair of missiles.

(Poor Fred is always being treated as a punch-bag as I test the weapons, but he got his revenge last week when I added CIWS turrets and he shot my missiles as they left the tubes and blew me up.)